• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

New Steven Erikson interview

#21 User is offline   Anaster 

• Child of the Dead Seed
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 09 January 2010 - 05:13 PM

Ah, I see.

Given the choice of words, I was under the impression he was referring to a ruckus among the die hard fans.

Oh well: I'm halfway through TTH and I'm liking it better than RG so no problems here :nono:

#22 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 09 January 2010 - 07:02 PM

Actually, quite a few regulars here found Toll to be the weakest in the series so far. I'm currently on a re-read.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#23 User is offline   EsotericForest 

• Crimson Guard
  • Interests:Photography, Art, History, Reading, Wildlife, Hiking, Camping, Fishing

Posted 10 January 2010 - 02:14 AM

Why do so many think it's the weakest?

Good interview also...I'm sure Erikson will hit it out of the park with The Crippled God.

This post has been edited by EsotericForest: 10 January 2010 - 02:15 AM

"Ignoring him, she stepped back out of the ellipse and began singing in the Woman's Language, which was, of course, unintelligible to Iskaral's ears. Just as the Man's Language-which Mongora called gibberish-was beyond her ability to understand. The reason for that, Iskaral Pust knew, was that the Man's Language was gibberish, designed specifically to confound women."

-The Bonehunters-

"What's wrong with the world? You ask a man and he says, 'Don't ask.' Ask a woman and you'll be dead of old age before she's finished"

-The Bonehunters-

#24 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 10 January 2010 - 02:19 AM

You aren't to Toll yet, are you? Otherwise I'd reccommened reading the threads in that forum that discuss its merits.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#25 User is offline   EsotericForest 

• Crimson Guard
  • Interests:Photography, Art, History, Reading, Wildlife, Hiking, Camping, Fishing

Posted 10 January 2010 - 02:21 AM

Yeah I'm not to it yet. I know I've seen some of the raitings on it, and it looks like it's the weakest book thus far. I wasn't sure if it was just because of...events such as a couple particular favorite characters getting killed off or something, or if it had to do with it not being as well written.
"Ignoring him, she stepped back out of the ellipse and began singing in the Woman's Language, which was, of course, unintelligible to Iskaral's ears. Just as the Man's Language-which Mongora called gibberish-was beyond her ability to understand. The reason for that, Iskaral Pust knew, was that the Man's Language was gibberish, designed specifically to confound women."

-The Bonehunters-

"What's wrong with the world? You ask a man and he says, 'Don't ask.' Ask a woman and you'll be dead of old age before she's finished"

-The Bonehunters-

#26 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 10 January 2010 - 02:22 AM

It is written differently than the others. But, I'm in a re-read and I'm enjoying it more this time around (like usual).

#27 User is offline   EsotericForest 

• Crimson Guard

Posted 10 January 2010 - 02:23 AM

Well I didn't like Deadhouse Gates the first time around, but now that I have a better understanding of the series, I think I would enjoy it much more on a reread of it. Written differently? Do I want to know? haha

-The Bonehunters-

-The Bonehunters-

#28 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 11 January 2010 - 06:37 AM

EsotericForest, on 10 January 2010 - 02:23 AM, said:

Written differently? Do I want to know? haha

In order to explain, I will write an extremely, extremely minor spoiler. Seriously, it provides zero insight into the actual contents of the book, but those who have read Memories of Ice will probably understand how its form can be controversial.

Spoiler

Because of this, the writing style is indeed different and perhaps controversial. I loved it and hope others come around to at least liking it.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#29 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 11 January 2010 - 07:01 AM

amphibian, on 11 January 2010 - 06:37 AM, said:

EsotericForest, on 10 January 2010 - 02:23 AM, said:

Written differently? Do I want to know? haha

In order to explain, I will write an extremely, extremely minor spoiler. Seriously, it provides zero insight into the actual contents of the book, but those who have read Memories of Ice will probably understand how its form can be controversial.

Spoiler

theres large parts that don't have it
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#30 User is offline   Juvenis 

• Corporal

Posted 11 January 2010 - 03:14 PM

"The effect of near-death experiences did serve one thing: my sense of mortality was heightened..."

WHAT!? Did Steven Erikson have a near-death experience or am I super-duper confused here?

#31 User is offline   beru 

• shy guy
  • Interests:gaming (strategy/tactic first persons)<br />reading<br />swiming

Posted 11 January 2010 - 03:20 PM

i think he refers to his illness he encunterd in mongolia...
but im no exspert on the matter
i want to see this world where T'lan imass kneels

#32 User is offline   EsotericForest 

• Crimson Guard

Posted 11 January 2010 - 03:41 PM

@Amphibian

Ah alright...well that's something I can deal with, but that is quite a bit different than how he usually writes.

-The Bonehunters-

-The Bonehunters-

#33 User is offline   rhulad 

• First Sword

Posted 12 January 2010 - 05:56 PM

Thanks for taking the time to do the interview Pat, it was great.

#34 User is offline   Kurt Montandon 

• First Sword
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 17 January 2010 - 03:24 AM

H.D., on 10 January 2010 - 02:22 AM, said:

It is written differently than the others. But, I'm in a re-read and I'm enjoying it more this time around (like usual).

TTH has an incredible depth on a re-read - I'd recommend just skipping the Harllo parts (which just makes me scream about the time-line), and the Trygalle parts (which are just meaningless to me, and too superficial). The Nimander & company narrative, and the Tiste Andii in Black Coral narrative both feel a lot better on a re-read. That and the Traveller sections, especially while building up to the meeting with Karsa.

And I liked the prose style the first time through, and even more the second time through. It just worked for me, no matter how it annoyed other people - it was very ... human. And you have to re-read to catch all the little bits (like Gorlas' vision that echoed Kruppe's GotM dream; I do wonder how many people even noticed that).
I finally have an avatar ... and it's better than yours.

#35 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 17 January 2010 - 03:38 AM

I enjoyed it MUCH more on the recent re-read. Bump it from a 6 to an 8 on my out of 10 ratings. (Only DG, MoI, MT, RG, and DoD are higher than an 8. Only? Lol that's half the damned series! I love me some Erikson.)

The Nimander, Seerdomin, and Endest sections VASTLY improved on re-read.

The only reason I haven't re-read it before now is that my Bantam hardcover has literally fallen apart, so I checked the Tor version out of the library.

#36 User is offline   Kurt Montandon 

• First Sword
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 17 January 2010 - 04:00 AM

H.D., on 17 January 2010 - 03:38 AM, said:

I enjoyed it MUCH more on the recent re-read. Bump it from a 6 to an 8 on my out of 10 ratings. (Only DG, MoI, MT, RG, and DoD are higher than an 8. Only? Lol that's half the damned series! I love me some Erikson.)

The Nimander, Seerdomin, and Endest sections VASTLY improved on re-read.

Hast more of a tragically-epic feel, doesn't it?

The Darujistahn parts are also really improved on a re-read, especially if you're careful to read every line. Some of the narrative observations are just ... breathtaking. I especially love the line about the pure-hearted Daru city guard, and how you can imagine it would be for the world to be without such people. "Yes, it should have been harder to do."
I finally have an avatar ... and it's better than yours.

#37 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 17 January 2010 - 04:02 AM

The narratives are extremely poignant on a re-read. I probably rushed through the first time.

#38 User is offline   Epiph 

• High Fist

Posted 26 January 2010 - 04:21 PM

Kurt Montandon, on 17 January 2010 - 03:24 AM, said:

And I liked the prose style the first time through, and even more the second time through. It just worked for me, no matter how it annoyed other people - it was very ... human. And you have to re-read to catch all the little bits (like Gorlas' vision that echoed Kruppe's GotM dream; I do wonder how many people even noticed that).

Yeah, moments like that were one of the reasons TtH was my new favorite of the series after I read it. I know not many people did, but I really loved what Erikson did with the Kruppe narration.
<--angry purple ball of yarn wielding crochet hooks. How does that fail to designate my sex?

#39 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 27 January 2010 - 09:25 AM

H.D., on 09 January 2010 - 07:02 PM, said:

Actually, quite a few regulars here found Toll to be the weakest in the series so far. I'm currently on a re-read.

and surprisingly so, imo. it's one of the strongest installments. the sheer amount of awesome happening in the book far outweights some of the suck. it also manages to match copious amount of awesome AND copious amounts of meh this sucks into one storyline without them mixing, just coexisting.

anyway, personally, I'm having tonnes of second thoughts re-reading DoD. I kinda rushed through it the first time, now keep myself to like one, two chapters a week, letting everything settle in. makes a lot more sense now.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users