• You cannot reply to this topic

Proposed Forum changes & User Rep Comments

#1 User is offline   Hetan 

• Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • View gallery
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 05 December 2009 - 04:51 PM

It is my intention to re-organise the forums to include the following :-
  • A new forum at the top of the board entitled Braven Tooth’s Recruitment Ground ( thanks to Mezla for the concept name) which will be for new members to introduce themselves and meet older members. The forum will also include some stickied threads along the lines of “How to change forum skin”, “How to post a picture” etc and will include some screenshots.
  • This forum will be introduction only – anyone wants to go off on a book tangent they will be politely shoved in the right direction.
  • If anyone has any ideas of what else they think would be useful with regards to new members, please post in this thread.
  • Move the Announcements thread to 2nd position in the forum, making it more prominent.
  • Re-organise the forums to reflect the book publication dates which will mean Gardens of the Moon is at the top and the spoilers for Recent Publications and those which contain spoilers up to the latest book will be at the bottom of the forum. This will hopefully make it more difficult for people to accidentally spoiler themselves.
  • We are also considering some re-organisation of the “General” part of the forum as well, Knoll Barrow will be moved the Games forum, Art and Writing will be combined but Other Literature will remain stand-alone and may include some additional sub-forums for other authors.
  • We have tested out a user reputation Hook in the sandbox ( a secret orbiting satellite station). The hook allows users to leave comments along with the rep that they have given for a particular post. It also leaves the name of the person who left the rep. It’s pretty basic and the messages need to be short. In addition, you can only view the last 5 rep comments received – which means you could miss out if you’ve posted something and ten people rep you for it – but there is nothing we can do about it.
  • The reputation comments show up in the sidebar when you are logged in and also in your profile. If members would like us to implement this on the forum then we can give it a try and see how you like it.

"He was not a modest man. Contemplating suicide, he summoned a dragon". (Gothos' Folly)- Gothos

#2 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • Group: Administrators
  • very good...;)

Posted 05 December 2009 - 05:03 PM

Hetan, all of that sounds great. I think that the publication move should keep newer members from spoilering themselves. I could see people forgetting for a while and posting things in the top book forum. But that is what the mods are around for. ;)
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#3 User is offline   Cougar 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • View gallery

Posted 05 December 2009 - 05:59 PM

I'll add to Hetan's question a little too. At the moment we are unique amongst the forums I use, since we have an off topic area which also doubles as the forum 'general' section. In my opinion this means we have made non-fan discussion the main focus of the forum. In contrast other (non-fantasy) sites I use have a 'general' forum or home area which is where the main business of the forum takes place. What would people think of making the Phoenix genuinely off topic and creating a general forum?
I AM A TWAT

#4 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 05 December 2009 - 06:11 PM

Might be the hours I'm working making my brain not wurk gud but I'm not seeing the difference between general and offtopic here. Sounds like you'd be making two Inns, really. Feel free to tell me how I'm wrong.

Also it all sounds great, Hetan.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#5 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 05 December 2009 - 07:10 PM

Those seem like basic, but fantastic changes proposed by Hetan. I'm all in favor of that.

Cougar, I do not understand what you're saying. Like Illuyankas, I'm conceptualizing a cloning of the Inn - and don't see why that'd be helpful.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#6 User is offline   bubba 

• High Marshall
  • View gallery
  • Interests:5.3%
  • Kill all the golfers...

Posted 05 December 2009 - 07:37 PM

I think he means the Inn would be moved to a new area called off topic.

#7 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 05 December 2009 - 07:50 PM

What sort of general stuff would go into this other Inn? I am also a little confuzzled.

Other than that, I embrace change (unless is involves anything expensive) so yay!

This post has been edited by caladanbrood: 05 December 2009 - 07:51 PM

O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#8 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 05 December 2009 - 09:05 PM

I think I get it. Sounds like good ideas all around to me!

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#9 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 05 December 2009 - 09:51 PM

Sounds good. I very much appreciate the all the hard work you guys are doing. ;)

Although like others previous I am confused as to Cougars' meaning regarding Off Topic/ Inn/ General ...

This post has been edited by Sombra: 05 December 2009 - 09:52 PM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#10 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 05 December 2009 - 11:17 PM

I like what Hetan is saying, also a little confused about what Cougar is saying.
Error: Signature not valid

#11 User is offline   bubba 

• High Marshall
  • View gallery
  • Interests:5.3%
  • Kill all the golfers...

Posted 05 December 2009 - 11:22 PM

It may look like something like this at the bottom of the page

General forum area

Disscusion
Arts
Other authors
Writing
user groups

Off topic area

The Inn
Sports
Tv/Movies
Games

#12 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 06 December 2009 - 12:29 AM

View PostBubba, on 05 December 2009 - 11:22 PM, said:

It may look like something like this at the bottom of the page

General forum area

Disscusion
Arts
Other authors
Writing
user groups

Off topic area

The Inn
Sports
Tv/Movies
Games

Hmmm. How is the Inn any more off topic than Discussion or User Groups? Or Arts? I guess there's a small connection for Writing and other Authors to not be off topic, as they are at least about writing, but those are all off topic if On-Topic is SE.

It seems like the real breakdown you're going for is Frivolous and Non-Frivolous, in which case User groups should be in the lower section.

Am I making sense with what I'm trying to say? I feel like I'm not making my point very clearly.

#13 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 06 December 2009 - 12:34 AM

Yes, I can see what you're saying, RLY.

I think Cougar's point is that the Inn is definitively 'off-topic', in the sense that it is very lightly moderated, discussions repeatedly go off on tangents, and there is no real purpose to its existence. The other areas are not on-theme, but they are heavily moderated and 'serious'.
Whereas, if you take the recent 'who would play...' topic in the Inn, it doesn't really fit there as it is book-related, which 99% of the Inn's topics aren't. It's a general, non-book-specific thread, but it is on-theme.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#14 User is offline   Bhurnae 

• Close to the hedge.........
  • Group: LHTEC
  • Interests:all the usual stereotypical male ones

Posted 06 December 2009 - 03:02 AM

So basically there are going to be two pubs.....The Inn (Spit and sawdust, all the wiff waff) and teh General (chalkboards, high priced bottled lagers,no customers)

and yes to Hetan..........

This post has been edited by Bhurnae: 06 December 2009 - 03:03 AM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 28 September 2009 - 09:34 PM, said:

I have been entertaining tourists for many years now.... A girls gotta make a living.

#15 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 06 December 2009 - 03:19 AM

View PostCougar, on 05 December 2009 - 05:59 PM, said:

What would people think of making the Phoenix genuinely off topic and creating a general forum?

It's not a given at this stage. Cougar is just gauging reaction to the idea. ;)

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#16 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 06 December 2009 - 03:27 AM

So, the General Forum would be for Malazan related stuff, that wasn't exactly book related, while the Inn would be pretty much the same without the occasional "how the hell did this find it's way here" actually topical Malazan thread?
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#17 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 06 December 2009 - 05:37 AM

You just want the General Malazan Discussion forum so you can have a place to make the thread 'How big is Karsa's cock?', don't you, Cougar?

ADMIT IT
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#18 User is offline   Cougar 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • View gallery

Posted 06 December 2009 - 09:46 AM

Silencer has it right. The Inn in my idea wouldn't change at all, it doesn't need to. However, what I have been doing in the spirit of trying to make the forum more inviting to people is polling the odd new member about why they joined and what they thought. Naturally this was done entirely unscientifically. One of the issues that come up was that there was no logical place to 'start' as a new member. The book forums are ultra serious and intimidating, the Phoenix is all fun & games,Lolcats, injokes and cliques, which although friendly, take the Trickster crowd, are kind of puzzling (a bunch of adults pretending to be in a pub seems a little odd to a n00b)and a little impenetrable (yes, I am saying tehol and Darkwatch are difficult to penetrate ;) )

The idea then is to move the Phoenix from being the de facto 'home' forum to its rightful place as the anything goes, lightly modded fun 'off topic' area. The idea being that we might actually encourage Erikson fans to come along to an erikson forum and talk about Malazan as well as having a place we can dick around in.
I AM A TWAT

#19 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 06 December 2009 - 10:59 AM

Not sure exactly how that's going to work out, but I'm sure it'll be fine. As long as the inn still exists, adding new things to the site can't be a bad thing.

#20 User is offline   Cougar 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • View gallery

Posted 06 December 2009 - 12:11 PM

If you want examples of what would be in a general home forum then it would be stuff like the Naina thread that caused so much friction, the thread in DoD called Lovemaking and the MBotF, the usual 'hardest character' threads and the meet up info etc. I guess that the real reason would be to create amn area that appealed to some of the fans who don't join us cos they don't like the Inn (and there are certainly a few) but are a bit worried about posting dumb threads in the very strict arena of the book discussions.
I AM A TWAT

Share this topic:

• 8 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users