• You cannot reply to this topic

Proposed Forum changes & User Rep Comments

#141 User is offline   eekwibble 

• Only...
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:West Haaaaaaaaaaam!!!!!

Posted 04 January 2010 - 03:18 AM

View PostCougar, on 01 January 2010 - 03:47 PM, said:

I totally disagree that Rep should be disabled in any forum. It isn't for us to make judgements about why people should apportion positive or negative repuation, or what constitutes a reasonable or sensible reason for repping or negging. I was quite vehment with D'rek about this some weeks ago and I stand by it, people can give out rep to people for whatever reasons they see fit.

negrepped for mis-spelling 'reputation' and 'vehement' =P
QUOTE (amphibian @ Nov 11 2008) <Rake himself was a huge weight inside Draconus and he didn't go in with an army.>

#142 User is offline   eekwibble 

• Only...
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:West Haaaaaaaaaaam!!!!!

Posted 04 January 2010 - 04:08 AM

To add my totally worthless 2 cents; I felt I had to leave this board a while back because of the attitude of some of the Inn members.... a community I'd actually come to feel a part of, so I totally understand that noobs would (and do) feel isolated by being thrown straight into it.

Some people here (omfg... is he mentioning no names????) can be downright offensive and completely lacking in any ability to understand a different sense of humour or a different world view. Most people can write these sorts' off as trolls and carry on but I can't abide people like that so I just left the site. And there are plenty more people like me around who read that shit and just fuck off.

A way for people to join the site without being subject to anyone else's shit attitude sounds like a grand idea to me. Creating an area for noobs to circulate in before being subjected to the likes of the Inn regulars is a fantastic idea and all credit to Cougar for it.
Wanting to join in is a massive part of reading these books and personally I don't think that anyone capable of getting through GotM and still wanting more could possibly be lacking in intellect. It's so unlike any other novel I've read that 'bloody difficult' doesn't quite cover it so anyone wanting to know more must have some gumption about them and I'd love to be a part of encouraging them into more of SE's or ICE's books. Let's have that area of the new site up asap plox! =D Spoilers up or down, no probs!

I love Cougar's attitude to moderating, I'd be the same myself, faced with the grief those guys have to put up with. And the guys whinging about new members seeing those posts should probably stop posting that kind of crap rather than tell the mods they're wrong. The negativity that comes from it isn't hurting the mods on any personal level and they're not making their decisions on a personal level either, it's the attitude and behaviour of those members taking liberties that hurt the site as a whole.

Some people don't get what this site is because they've gotten so comfortable here. It's not about the current members and never will be. It's about the new breed of SE fans and how to help our favourite author make enough cash, via the new blood, that he wants to carry on this venture.

This website is owned by Malaclypse and Hetan; just in case any of you were wondering - and doing our best by them should be EVERY members' priority. They do it for nothing other than love and personal gratification.

I'm raising a glass to you two right now. Thank you for your continued efforts and to the admins and mods as well... especially Cougar (surprise =P)!

This post has been edited by eekwibble: 04 January 2010 - 04:38 AM

QUOTE (amphibian @ Nov 11 2008) <Rake himself was a huge weight inside Draconus and he didn't go in with an army.>

#143 User is offline   Hetan 

• Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • View gallery
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 04 January 2010 - 10:45 AM

OK - User Reputation comments are now enabled on this board.
There are a few problems with it regarding User Groups - there doesn't appear to be a way currently to select more than one User Group so Malaz Regulars are the primary User Group that has been selected. Now I need some feedback from people here who are in other user groups, such as Mafia etc to let me know if their reputation comments are signed - so could you please let me know in this thread? Thanks people :D

Edit : It appears that comments can be left, but currently signatures cannot be viewed. Not sure if this is a problem to everyone or not?
As I've mentioned before this is a piece of 3rd party unsupported software so there's not much we can do about it. Personally I think it's not bad that it's unsigned, but let me have your viewpoints.
"He was not a modest man. Contemplating suicide, he summoned a dragon". (Gothos' Folly)- Gothos

#144 User is offline   alt146 

• Here comes the Strongbad!
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 04 January 2010 - 11:29 AM

I repped your post with a message - it appears on your profile but it doesnt automatically say who it's from, so I guess the issue with the user groups is still in place.

I'm sure someone with a decent knowledge of php and IPforum should be able to get the hook working the way we'd like, the author of the hook doesnt look like he spends that much time working on it.

And thanks again for the hard work to get the system up.
[url="http://www.alt146.zzl.org"]MafiaManager[/url]: My Mafia Modding tool - Now at v0.3b

With great power comes a great integral of energy over time.

#145 User is offline   Hetan 

• View gallery

Posted 04 January 2010 - 12:37 PM

Yep, I'm working on that one as it might be a simple case of adding a new setting to the hook. But at least this way comments can be left and if it's anything nasty the admins are able to find out who left what and deal with it off-scene, which is also a better way of handling any issues, I feel. Thanks for your input :D
"He was not a modest man. Contemplating suicide, he summoned a dragon". (Gothos' Folly)- Gothos

#146 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 04 January 2010 - 05:36 PM

We had rep comments without the author showing years ago, too, and we'd usually just sign our comments, so if we'll just have to get back into that habit!

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#147 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 04 January 2010 - 06:47 PM

Agreed. And nice to have the comments back.

- Abyss, polishing off the rep-stick.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#148 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 04 January 2010 - 11:11 PM

The issue with having people sign it was twofold: There is a length limit on the rep comment, meaning longer messages might not have room for a signed name, and people can then choose to leave their rep unsigned, which in the case of a neg rep is fairly devious and annoying. Though it's only a simple three-step process for an admin to find out who left the rep. :)

@Hetan, the settings section gave me hope, too, however I think it would be easier, comparatively, to edit the hook itself. I'd offer to do that, but I'm both busy and lacking in confidence on how much I can do - if you recall the last time when I played with the database...:p
Theoretically, it should not be hard to modify the selection to a multi-user-group one...everything else on IPB has it, so it can't be that hard. Though why the creator didn't think of that when they first made it is beyond me. Probably due to bad testing practice - only ran it on a test board with a single group, or something.

Also, just figured I'd acknowledge Eek's post - thanks for taking the time to say that, very nice of you (now stop trying to buy favour, dammit! :p).

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#149 User is offline   Hetan 

• View gallery

Posted 05 January 2010 - 07:43 AM

The "Who left rep?" issue has now been resolved. Huge thanks to D'rek for some great detective work, she found a fix on some modding forum.
I've now implemented the fix in all skins. I've also turned off reputation in user profiles as I think it's a bit "in your face", so your last five reputation comments are available to view in your sidebar only.

I'm also looking at the IPBwiki/Mediawiki interface, which integrates IPB with MediaWiki. This would mean that registered forum users could log into the wiki directly from the forum for adding information. It's early days yet though, in the planning of that as it would mean moving all the information on our current wiki onto our own server here which is a massive undertaking. I'll keep you posted on our progress.

Share this topic:

• 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users