• You cannot reply to this topic

why do you believe in god?

#61 User is offline   Powder 

• Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 21 December 2009 - 11:30 PM

View PostObdigore, on 21 December 2009 - 10:54 PM, said:

Ok, Powder, how about this:

The Bible says (paraphrasing, tell me if I am paraphrasing wrong) That before eating of the tree of good and evil, Adam and Eve had no concept of good and evil. If so, how could it be possible that they were told not to eat from it?

Another question that is related, is:
If knowing about God did not remove Adam and Eve's ability to have Free Will, then how could you say that if a human today knew that god did exist (with facts, not faith), how would that remove their Free Will?

I am asking You, Powder, US Resident your opinion on these matters. If you believe I am not understanding something written in the bible please let me know your view on the subject where it differs from mine.

Wonderful clarification.

Allow me to throw some nuance on my previous statement towards free will. In response to Frook I was talking specifically in his case--He is not seeking God. That makes him different than Adam and Eve. Moses sees God as well, and it obviously does not change his free will either. The difference is that these individuals were always seeking God, and they found him. Adam and Eve are a special case because they were the first people and in a sense 'perfect'. Ergo they were from the time of their inception seeking God.

Also, you are bringing your western perspectives to an ancient near eastern text. You say that Adam and Eve have no concept of good and evil. If you study middle eastern culture, especially before the conquest of the Greeks, this metaphysical mindset was not inherent to that area. To a great extent today desert people are still very practical people. For instance to say pen you do not give it the name pen, you say something to write with. The thing does not get a specific name but rather its function. Bringing this to the tree of Good and Evil. Is it some great metaphysical Knowledge? Possibly. If this interpretation is correct than there are a great deal of problems that come to the fore. I reject that interpretation now, though for a good period of time in my life I held to it. Given the context, it would seem that Adam and Eve do have some knowledge of what is Good. God calls them Good, walks with them, talks with them, and has placed them in a place that is Good. SO why then is it a tree of the knowledge of Good and Evil?

Further it would stand to reason that they had some idea of evil as well, as they had been told not to eat from this tree or you will 'surely die' (lit of this phrase is dieingly die, it is notoriously hard to translate such things into english). In the Jewish text one is never responsible for something one does not know about, so surely they had some metaphysical idea of what Good and Evil are, they may just not have experienced good and evil. I could go even farther away from the mainstream and get into the word (rah) which is itself tricky to translate. Does it mean metaphysical evil, literal evil, actualized evil, calamity, bad happenings, etc? Yet from our western perspective we jump right to, and only to the idea of metaphysical evil and the concepts thereof.

There is a systemic problem throughout mainstream Christianity--'The Bible says it. I believe it. That settles it.' This mentality is both harmful to the faith and to non believers. The fact of the matter is unless one is a contemporary of the writers of scripture, reading it in their language you probably cannot say the above statement. Is there are 'right' capitol T truth interpretation of scripture that solves everything.... No. There are interpretations that are more true, or better, but one cannot claim to have the exhaustive truth of the scriptures distilled into little catch phrases. I think it is very helpful to take a piece of Cougars post above, that all truths one gleans from the Bible must be held like so much water in the hands. It must be grasped lightly and deftly lest the truth run between your fingers (I had to have read that somewhere).

Does this help? Or did I misunderstand your question?

-Powder

How bout Bret Favre eh? I'm an Eagles fan myself.

#62 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:WWQBD?
  • WoT Fangirl, Rank Traitor

Posted 26 December 2009 - 09:17 AM

View PostTapper, on 07 November 2009 - 12:27 PM, said:

@ Adjutant Stormy:

There is a difference between atheists and agnosts, and I have been very careful in talking about atheists only.

In reality, there are some finer distinctions to be made, I think. From what I gather, a lot of atheists are like myself: atheist because it becomes evident after some time that there are many different ideas in the world about what, exactly, this higher power is; none of them seem to have a greater claim than the others. The spread of the world's major religions is only the tip of the schism; denominations are only the next level - there are as many different ideas about the supernatural as there are believers in it. Like Richard Dawkins says, "I'm only an atheist to the extent that I am agnostic about fairies at the bottom of the garden." There are injustices that are justified in various ways and for various reasons. Religion and patriotism incite the level of passion that is necessary to overlook injustice on large scales, but these are just wide trends. Individual self-justification is far more complex than the general trends; mapping our motives would likely prove impossible, but chaos inevitably and unpredictably churns out order on the macro level. It is what it is. I think that the atheists and agnostics in the world will continue to grow as it becomes more socially acceptable to not believe in any religion.

I'm not so much opposed to the idea of there being some sort of supernatural something that made the universe, as I am wary about attributing things that I do not understand to a deity, when I have no cause to believe in one particular deity over another, and when I have studied numerous examples of things that were previously explained by the supernatural something and turned out to have a very simple and natural cause. Some would say that this is even further evidence of a supernatural something, that nature could be so complex and wonderful, and that's fine, but I still don't feel the need to attribute any of that to a supernatural something. I am also wary about the need to attribute things to a deity, because I see in it a circular logic that is ultimately selfish and potentially destructive.

Does this mean that I actively disbelieve in the supernatural something? Not really. I don't believe in the god of the Abrahamic religions, whether you seem them as all worshipping the same god or not. I don't believe in the Hindu gods, the Greek ones, the Norse ones, or the Scientology aliens. If there is a god, probably the only dude in the world that understands him/her/it/them/whatever is that dude in the psych ward that lost his shit on a bad trip back in the 60s. The closest normal people will come to understanding the supernatural something will be to find out more about how the world works (alternatively, we might actually see evidence of a deity one day).

To be agnostic is to realize this, that the supernatural is 'unknown and probably unknowable'. To be atheist is to go one step further and use Occam's Razor to trim our worldview. We also have a tendency to promote that worldview, if for no other reason than that my society in general maintains a prejudice against atheists. The academic subculture of the world is the only one I can think of that tends in the other direction, and in the US I think it's more of a balance than anything else. As long as we tend toward that prejudice in the US, we will naturally tend to favor the prejudices of our majority religion, and I worry about the sort of influence that faction can have if I don't help to promote atheism, encouraging those who think similar to myself to speak out. US policy in recent years shows why; if the representation of Christianity in the US is to change, then it is up to US Christians to change it, as I am not a believer.

The President (2012) said:

Please proceed, Governor.

Chris Christie (2016) said:

There it is.

Elizabeth Warren (2020) said:

And no, I’m not talking about Donald Trump. I’m talking about Mayor Bloomberg.

#63 User is offline   Tervvo 

• Recruit

Posted 31 December 2009 - 09:09 AM

Who created god can be explained by things like,maybe we are just some kids computer program.( that would explain why it is all about him and anyone that disagrees dies.)
Time is a concept, which could also address the who created him question.

#64 User is offline   Adjutant Stormy~ 

• Captain, Team Quick Ben

Posted 03 January 2010 - 09:04 AM

Dear Powder,

You are far, far too well read. It is a shame that there aren't more of you.

View PostPowder, on 21 December 2009 - 11:30 PM, said:

There is a systemic problem throughout mainstream Christianity--'The Bible says it. I believe it. That settles it.' This mentality is both harmful to the faith and to non believers. The fact of the matter is unless one is a contemporary of the writers of scripture, reading it in their language you probably cannot say the above statement. Is there are 'right' capitol T truth interpretation of scripture that solves everything.... No. There are interpretations that are more true, or better, but one cannot claim to have the exhaustive truth of the scriptures distilled into little catch phrases. I think it is very helpful to take a piece of Cougars post above, that all truths one gleans from the Bible must be held like so much water in the hands. It must be grasped lightly and deftly lest the truth run between your fingers (I had to have read that somewhere).

EXACTLY I spent a week trying to get Gem on board with this in the Evolution thread. It is good to see the scholarly approach alive and well.
<!--quoteo(post=462161:date=Nov 1 2008, 06:13 PM:name=Aptorian)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Aptorian @ Nov 1 2008, 06:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=462161"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God damn. Mighty drunk. Must ... what is the english movement movement movement for drunk... with out you seemimg drunk?

bla bla bla

Peopleare harrasing me... grrrrrh.

Also people with big noses aren't jews, they're just french

EDIT: We has editted so mucj that5 we're not quite sure... also, leave britney alone.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#65 User is offline   frookenhauer 

• Mortal Sword
  • Interests:Women
    Money
    AI
    Writing

Posted 04 January 2010 - 02:22 AM

View PostPowder, on 21 December 2009 - 01:20 AM, said:

...@ frook

I would like to start by saying I really appreciated your posts on the economy a thread or two over, they were always insightful and it clearly shows your expertise in the area. You usually have a well thought out and well researched position and so I assume that the same is true in this instance. With the following I am in no way trying to degrade who you are, your int I am dreadfully sorry that God has not proven his existence to you, personally, litterally, and impressively. However, demanding that an all powerful, all creating being descend into your living room sounds a bit self important does it not? I do not mean to be rude, but the logic of such a demand seems a little far fetched.

By the same token I could say that China does not exist (I may be stretching here, but its the discussion forum I have to stretch somewhere). I mean I'd see chinese people around. I'd see maps. Maybe even eat some Chinese food. However if Chairmen (forgive my political naivetee I cannot recall the leader of China at present its not my area of expertese after all) _______ won't come into my living room and share a cup of tea with me then I refuse to believe in its existance. I mean chinese people are everywhere, it doesn't mean they are from this mythical land of China. Further those maps are just government conspiricies. Chinese food is just from the West Coast of the USA (again forgive my geocentric presuppositions I am after all an American and our self importance is legendary). So if all of these things can be explained away China does not exist unless I meet China's leader (It is at this point that the metaphor breaks down, they all do. God is supposed to be omnipresent and should therefore be able to be in your room more easily than whoever is in charge of China, but its your job to poke holes in my analogy!).

Now as to God loving you. In my eyes this is true. However is it necissarily loving for him to reveal himself to you in such a way as poping over for a spot of tea? Would your will then be free to believe or disbelieve in God? Would he then not be constraining your free will, forcing you to believe in him? Wouldn't that defeat the whole purpose of creating you with free will in the first place? Would that then not be loving? After all when one loves another they do not force them to do something against their will. Also, who knows whether or not that epiphany is coming in the future? Maybe at deaths gate there will be some grand visitation. I for one do not lose heart at a comment like yours. I know that if you truly seek God (and when I say God I am referring to the Christian God, sorry if this was not clear before) you will find him.

Often times in this short discussion the question of God's power (or lack thereof) has come up. I claim to have seen and experienced said power, you claim skepticism as to the veracity of my claims. I wrestle with your claims and ideas, and it is my sincere hope that you in turn wrestle with mine. At the end of the day hoping that if nothing else understanding will arise between us, and we all might live in some form of harmony despite our disparate views. Sadly I feel as though I have a slight edge having once been a skeptic myself :p, of course you may have once been believers and have a very similar edge on me. If any of you were believers and have since stopped believing I would treasure an ongoing conversation with you to see just how the 'faith went wrong'. That is not to say that I do not enjoy and admire the discussion we have going on at present of course.

Thank you all for such thrilling ripostes(you see what I did there this is an epic fantasy forum after all) thus far! I really apreciate the open dialogue we have going...

Apologies, powder for the immensely late reply, I have been somewhat busy, lost my job/business/career and have just got another one, quite a feat over the festive period :p Anyway...back to my belated response:

There was never any chance of a slight being felt, Powder, I'm big and ugly enough to take it. Sure, maybe it is presumptuous of me to want god to prove himself by spending some time with me, but seeing as he is omnipotent and everywhere at once and all that, the time I require to come to believe in him would be as nothing. It would cost him nothing, but would gain him a soldier in his battle with Satan (A situation he set up himself after all), but truth be old, I am more of a mind to side with Satan, cos his reaction to Adam and his refusal to bow was perfectly fine in my opinion. It showed a certain reckless, but charming rebelliousness to authority which I admire. And this is coming from a creature that was created to obey in all things...Wow! Talk about overcoming the programming! And for this rebellion, he gets given the power to influence mens' minds and given a dominion to rule over?!? How he managed to score such a sale is beyond me, but boy is he a good negotiator. I am of a mind to think that a place ruled by a being such as this can't really be all that bad, and is probably a utopian paradise :D Well...who knows? But back to the point at hand, God in his omnipotent all loving self knows that I need proof for me to believe, to prove to me that he exists would cost him nothing (omnipotence is handy), he has failed, thus far, to do so...Therefore, for the time being, he does not exist. That's pretty much the logic behind my disbelief.

I'm sorry, but China exists, there is no doubt...because it's on earth, has real people living in it...Some of whom I've met. I have yet to go there, or meet its leader, but I have been provided with sufficient proof over the years to have lead me to be able to stake my life on its existence.

With regards to the argument of loss of free will...Actually that argument is much, much weaker than most people realise. Let us suppose for one moment that he exists and he send down all his prophets and saints and the Lord Jesus...just by doing that he has affected our free will, he has imposed upon us all manner of influence. The bible and the fear of hellfire is an abrogation (did i use that word correctly?) of our free will. The only thing that god has allowed for by not proving he exists completely is doubt. And by doing such a thing, he has created a situation whereby a believer is constantly at odds with is rational self. No wonder the phrase duality of man was coined...I do not think that this is a good state to be in, warring with oneself is hardly beneficial, especially when the energy could be better utilised against the big cruel world :D. And another thing, the authors of the bible and similar works always talk about how much work god has done in the past, it's always, always past tense. I'm sure Adam could have done with some memoir writing in the garden, it would have done him some good and potentially given him something positive to do instead of prancing around and eating forbidden fruit. The same is true of Abraham, he could have said, today, god and I had some lunch with some angels and then they left to fudge up Sodom. It's no wonder people in the bible believe in god, he sat with them and chilled and shooted the breeze and all sorts.

With regards to a loss of faith...I don not believe I have ever really believed. I come from an Islamic background and as such i was learning...correction, reading a foreign language without understanding a word of it, something I'm very thankful for seeing as children are very impressionable. An aside, I do not believe it is fair for children to be indoctrinated into religion at an early age, they will believe in something prior to the point in which they can make a reasonable judgement. So I made my non decision later in life. My brothers are devout in their belief as is my mother, my sisters are less so, but I alone have left the sheltered embrace of god :D I await your response good sir :D
souls are for wimps

#66 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 04 January 2010 - 06:12 AM

View PostFrookenhauer, on 04 January 2010 - 02:22 AM, said:

With regards to a loss of faith...I don not believe I have ever really believed.

I did. As soon as I was old enough to get away with it, I stopped going to church, but I continued to believe for some time. I was able to discard or somehow justify the beliefs of the religion that didn't make any sense, but I was conditioned to avoid questioning the existence of god. I can't think of a single person in my extended family that is non-religious, with the possible exception of my brother (I'm actually not sure if he's religious or not - he's not Christian any more but he was Urantian for a while and no telling what he believes now). There are a good number of people in my family who don't allow religion to be a ruling factor in their lives, but there are also a good number who do, and see every encounter with a non-religious person as a recruiting opportunity.

When I believed, I never tried to convert people, having a tendency to respect the fact that other people believed differently (and I still do, even though I preach atheism). I was given the Chronicles of Narnia to read when I was very young (my introduction to fantasy). Easy to blow Narnia off as kids' tripe, but in reality you could say I was schooled in Lewis's Christian apologist philosophies in my formative years, as I'm sure many of us were. His approach to Judgment Day made sense to me, but I think I realized well even the first time I read it that it was not exactly Biblical. In retrospect, I probably sympathized with nonreligious people because I knew how ridiculous my beliefs were; I respected people from other religions, because I knew their beliefs weren't any more ridiculous than mine. Christians would say that I was embarrassed of God, and compare me to Peter or something.

But I also realize now that the Christian idea of the afterlife was never something that appealed to me. I never had fantasies about going to heaven and hanging out with all the dead people and Jesus. And in the end, it was probably that lack that finally allowed me to question my beliefs. The pieces had been in place for the loss of faith for some time by then; the decision was faced consciously. I literally went from believing to not believing overnight, and didn't feel like I'd changed at all.

There it is.

#67 User is offline   frookenhauer 

• Mortal Sword
  • Interests:Women
    Money
    AI
    Writing

Posted 06 January 2010 - 04:09 PM

Hi Powder, apologies for the rushed nature of my last post, I was being ordered to bed and had to keep things short, but still managed to ramble off into many directions. If you are willing to engage, and I really hope you do, I would like to concentrate on just one or two items and give them a thorough going over. I would also like to say I am bloody impressed with your articulate posts and hope to see more.

I wish to reopen dialogue regarding the subject of free will and belief. The reason is that I do not consider your previous arguments regarding the subject to be sufficient enough to hold water. It is my considered opinion, and I trust this exactly like I trust my financial knowledge (soon to be marketing knowledge), that belief is thrust upon us, by our parents, society, books, TV and whatever else can have an influence as we grow up...

Let's put this aside for one moment and talk about Genesis, if I remember correctly one of the descendants of Adam was Tubal Cain? and he worked iron and brass and he was an early on in the dynasty, all archaeological evidence points to iron being around from about 1800 BC. Even by the most generous of margins early genesis could not have been conceived until 2000 BC. So the invention of the Abrahamic god must have been around that time, or maybe the concept was solidified. Thus began the spread of the one true god.

The Jews by their very own admission were a persecuted race and strife always brings one closer to god does it not? And so the idea survived with the race until the time of Jesus, whom I love by the way, and then the Romans adopted an adjusted version of the original religion and spread the good word about and pretty soon Christianity abounded in almost all the known world and everyone they conquered soon joined them in the love of Christ, son of God. And also another prophet came along and created a religion called Islam, similar in scope and with the same one true god. And the spread continued and even reached across an ocean to a land ruled by animal totem gods and a fiery sun god...and the one true god was eventually adopted after having been exposed to the idea, after being influenced.

The people were influenced into believing in God. Prior to any contact with any believers they did not believe in god and followed their own deities. They had free will to believe in god up to that point and guess what? They didn't. Once outside influence begins free will ends, there is no wiggle room. If the spread of the one true god had met with another example of the one true god faith rather than meeting its derivatives, then you might have a convert in me today. Alas this was not to be. Because God, surely would have tried to convert those people to the fact that he exists and created them and loved them, millions upon millions of people living and dying over thousands of years not knowing that he was their creator and that he loved them...worshipping a Sun god?!? The Abrahamic god would surely not stand for that, how dare they!

Dolorous is correct the argument of free will is merely a construct to deflect why god is not around. You guys have had centuries to come up with it so it certainly seems to work at face value, but I'm afraid that it's not very good at all, because once you look at the whole argument of free will it promptly collapses at that point.

This is why I reckon it is a disservice to children to indoctrinate them into a religion at an early age, let them make a choice once they are old enough to make a reasoned judgement.

The other thing I would like to talk about is gods love for us, for me, for you, for mankind...the fact that he is kind and merciful and all those other wonderful things. From what I've read about his exploits, he's hardly a chap I'd want to hang around with. Firstly he creates a slave race, utterly devoted to his whim, all except my homeboy Satan, big up yourself! He then causes the first murder, when he slights Cains offering, for an omnipotent being to do such a thing was silly...or did he watch the whole thing with some popcorn and a diet coke? And then in a fit of pique drowns the world in a flood, all save one boat made of gopher wood...Instead of converting the Egyptians he sends them plagues and kills all the first borns, nice! Sends a couple of angels to destroy Sodom, but get this sends a complete idiot to do a mans job of finding 10 decent people in the city, thereby guaranteeing its destruction. Mind you he's got a bit of a sense of humour, his covenant with Abraham meant the cutting off of the foreskin of every male, I bet he was rocking in his seat with gales of laughter with that one...And to top it off he plans to end it all one day and you better believe its not going to be a pretty sight come judgement day...and this is just skimming the surface.

After writing that bit about china, I realised that you would give that exact response, but seriously, comparing china to an invisible all powerful creator being who has set up this huge universe for our tiny little planet with tiny little people with tiny little lives all as a test to see if they pass and get to go to heaven...or a place near him, instead of away from him. Doesn't figure really does it?
souls are for wimps

#68 User is offline   Powder 

• Fist

Posted 06 January 2010 - 09:31 PM

Hello again.

I liked that last post, it was better than the previous one. Let me share with you a story which is relatively unheard of, yet the voracity of such claims is beyond debate within missionary circles (my denomination/seminary are very missions minded). This is the story of Mugamende(M for short). Mugamende was a tribal shaman in the jungles of the south pacific. His villiage was high in the mountains and they never had contact with the outside world. Part of M's job as shaman was to create the totemic God's of his people, so that they might be protected from evil spirits. One day M is making his idols and stops completely, he wonders to himself how anything he makes with his own hands could protect him from things which his hands had not made. Instead he decides to put away his idols which he himself has made, and decides to worship the God whose hands made him. Being the shaman of the villiage he also convinces his villiagers to stop worshiping idols, and worship this God. The only problem is that they do not know this one God's name. At some point while M is still alive he has a vision that the one God is going to send someone to M's people to tell them his name.

Several years after M's death christian missionaries show up in his villiage. In very short order the entire villiage accepts Christ, the missionaries are stunned. Then the story of M comes out, the man who called them to turn from their Idols before they even knew his name. This story is not unique, although it is rare. Christian scripture and doctrine argues that everyone knows about God, yet they willingly turn away from and reject him. See Romans 1-3.

Now, as to talking about free will. I still have not really distilled what it is that you are asking here. I am sorry for my lack of understanding but your riposte still feels vauge and I am struggling with how to formulate a response in kind.

As to God being loving yet having actions which seem to suggest otherwise I have a few points. First, your definition of love being 'be nice to everyone, everywhere, all the time' is not the definition of Love which is purported by the christian texts. I would also venture, given my extremely limited knowledge of the islamic scriptures, that they too do not hold to this definition. At some point love needs to be balanced by love. For instance it is widely accepted that if you love someone you will not shoot them. Yet, if theres a raging psychopath charging your daughter preparing to devour your loved one, it would be unloving to not shoot somone if you had the opportunity, would it not? Further, it usually is considered loving to give someone chocolate. Yet, to give a child candy every time they ask, and especially in excess would in fact be unloving. Your definitions need to expand, especially when considering the divine. As someone who routinely gets accused of seeing things in black and white (I believe in God, people try to place this label on me constantly), I must warn you against such simple ideologies which do not see the world as it truly is. Messy.

Further still. Islamic, Hebreaic, and Christian scriptures claim that God is not only God of love, but also a God of wrath. He would not be God in the ultimate sense if he were not. Oftentimes in the west, God being a God purely of 'love' (I quote love here because I have already shown you some serious problems with the way western culture defines love), because it is better for PR and easier to 'sell'.

Though I feel as though you are baiting me by saying that you would 'convert' in your post, I assure you that is not my goal. If that happens--great. You need not bait me into responding though, I will continue to respond to the best of my ability so long as I am treated with respect. (I will not shrink this discussion down into a flame war, it has been far too valuable for me.) Thus far I have been speaking soley on the defensive, and have yet to start asking questions of my own. I have plenty, and ones which I am very curious to see answered. I am wondering if you would be open to letting me take a peek inside your collective heads? These questions are not aimed at anything else than my own curiosity so face value answers will be best.

This question is for anyone(who is athiest) to answer: "On what grounds do you base human rights?"

Thanks so much.

Powder

PS Frook, I am really dense or something. Perhaps a bullet point list of problems would get through my thick skull.

#69 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 07 January 2010 - 12:15 AM

not atheist, but i feel that the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms does a pretty good job in setting a base for human rights. found here

in my opinion the phrase, "or sexual orientation" needs to be added to many of the articles in the charter, but no legislation is perfect and we do extend a fairly accepting hand to homosexuals

of course the first line of the thing speaks of gods supremacy (so much for separation of church and state) and we all know what his supposed opinion on the matter is :)
with that in mind i suppose you could say that the Charter is based on a religious morality, but i find that overall, it's a very secular and pluralist document

This post has been edited by Sinisdar Toste: 07 January 2010 - 12:19 AM

There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#70 User is offline   Powder 

• Fist

Posted 07 January 2010 - 05:30 AM

View PostSinisdar Toste, on 07 January 2010 - 12:15 AM, said:

not atheist, but i feel that the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms does a pretty good job in setting a base for human rights. found here

in my opinion the phrase, "or sexual orientation" needs to be added to many of the articles in the charter, but no legislation is perfect and we do extend a fairly accepting hand to homosexuals

of course the first line of the thing speaks of gods supremacy (so much for separation of church and state) and we all know what his supposed opinion on the matter is :)
with that in mind i suppose you could say that the Charter is based on a religious morality, but i find that overall, it's a very secular and pluralist document

I like where you are going, but who says that the Canadian Charter of Rights is correct? You have pushed the question back a step, and I ask it again. What do you base morality on? Your own personal feelings? Experience? Social construct? Essentially what makes something 'good' or 'evil'? Thanks for jumping back in again Mr. T. Nice to see your continued commitment to a thread you started months and months ago :p.

-powder

#71 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 07 January 2010 - 06:07 AM

On what grounds to I base human rights....?

Good question.

I was raised in a protestant church, for the most part. Evidently a very conservative protestant church. I believed in God until, for some reason, I stopped believing. I can't pinpoint a certain event for why I stopped. I remember trying to convince my brother, when I was 16 and 17 that God existed, as he was an atheist. However, it's entirely possible I was playing devil's advocate to him at that point. This is relevant in the fact that just as I can't pinpoint a time where I stopped believing, I can't pinpoint from where my value system is derived.

It is a hodgepodge of natural law, liberal and humanitarian theory, as well as my own original and thus mostly argued internal debate. I would begin with the Golden Rule, which I'm sure we all know. The caveat there being that if everyone was awful, I'd treat them awful as well. Thus, there must be some good from which I base that fundamental foundation on. There we get into humanitarian and liberal thought.

Am I better than anyone else prima facie? No, of course not. I am flawed, as is everyone else. No man is perfect. But, we can strive to become perfect! Will we succeed? Of course not. Perfection is impossible, unless you don't care about it. Accepting who we are, and at the same time striving to become better, I think is a very good thing. Thus, to the heart of matters.

Central to my core values is this: however we are born, bad or good, there is always hope that we can change. If humans possess one gift that sets them aside from the animal kingdom, it is that our natures are not predetermined, our roles are not predestined, but rather we can become who we want to be by nothing more than the choice to do so.

Our some people born "bad"? I truly believe the science is out there. Nature vs nurture, blah. Perhaps I am overly reliant on Plato's Tabula Rasa, and thus my bias is born out of that. But, it does my heart good to think that people are inherently good.

What is good? Once again, the Golden Rule. I'm willing to debate what is good because no value should go unquestioned, but I know that if what is "good" does not treat others as equals then it is not prima facie good to me, and I must, therefore, disagree.

That probably meandered quite a bit. Oh well. Values and beliefs should not be easy to distill at a moments notice.

Edit: Well, that wasn't on topic at all, was it?

This post has been edited by H.D.: 07 January 2010 - 06:17 AM

Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#72 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 07 January 2010 - 06:12 AM

View PostPowder, on 07 January 2010 - 05:30 AM, said:

I like where you are going, but who says that the Canadian Charter of Rights is correct? You have pushed the question back a step, and I ask it again. What do you base morality on? Your own personal feelings? Experience? Social construct? Essentially what makes something 'good' or 'evil'? Thanks for jumping back in again Mr. T. Nice to see your continued commitment to a thread you started months and months ago :p.

-powder

who says? my friend the entire nation of canada since 1980. to my knowledge, not one person has objected to the charter since it was put in place(fellow canucks, step in and say so if you've heard of someone.)

so i guess you would call it a social construct. i've read the charter, it aligns pretty closely with what i have been taught through my childhood, and what i have come to believe as an adult. there isn't an article in it i would disagree with. in fact the only place where it deviates from things i learned as a child were things i read in the bible. mostly old testament things of course, which i personally don't put much stock in, but it is the bible. those things, such as stoning an adulterous wife, i could cast aside with relative ease when faced with the much more justifiable morality presented in the charter.

the charter of rights and freedoms is considered, along with tommy douglas's universal health care, as some of the most important canadian legislation. i couldn't be prouder of my country for adding the document to the constitution.

in this case then it is an institution similar to religion. the charter was introduced to me at a young age (not as young as religion mind you) and it was presented in a way that predisposed me to believing it, just like religion. the difference is that as i got older there was no gaping holes in the charter's logic that could lead me to seek out an alternative basis for morality. in the case of the arguments of the religious establishment, my own personal feelings leaned toward a skepticism. i think from the very first time i began to examine the stories with a critical eye i began to realize an underlying truth about faith in a god. whether or not you believe and hold to your faith makes no difference to your circumstances. the way in which you interpret the Word and apply it to your life is what makes the difference.

take calvinists for example. they developed a fantastic work ethic through their interpretation that hard work, thrift and production by the sweat of ones brow, is virtuous and godly and would smooth their road into heaven. the effects of this interpretation are still being felt today. i should know having reaped some of the benefits of that ethic in my comfortable upbringing. i would never disparage the interpretation or the ethic of calvinists. i just feel that they're faith, while prerequisite for their time period, is unnecessary. i can see that hard work is virtuous and will bring you benefits without believing in the dubious incentive of an afterlife in paradise.

This post has been edited by Sinisdar Toste: 07 January 2010 - 06:14 AM

There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#73 User is offline   Powder 

• Fist

Posted 07 January 2010 - 09:40 AM

View PostSinisdar Toste, on 07 January 2010 - 06:12 AM, said:

View PostPowder, on 07 January 2010 - 05:30 AM, said:

of course the first line of the thing speaks of gods supremacy (so much for separation of church and state) and we all know what his supposed opinion on the matter is :nono:

I like where you are going, but who says that the Canadian Charter of Rights is correct? You have pushed the question back a step, and I ask it again. What do you base morality on? Your own personal feelings? Experience? Social construct? Essentially what makes something 'good' or 'evil'? Thanks for jumping back in again Mr. T. Nice to see your continued commitment to a thread you started months and months ago :D.

-powder

who says? my friend the entire nation of canada since 1980. to my knowledge, not one person has objected to the charter since it was put in place(fellow canucks, step in and say so if you've heard of someone.)

so i guess you would call it a social construct. i've read the charter, it aligns pretty closely with what i have been taught through my childhood, and what i have come to believe as an adult. there isn't an article in it i would disagree with. in fact the only place where it deviates from things i learned as a child were things i read in the bible. mostly old testament things of course, which i personally don't put much stock in, but it is the bible. those things, such as stoning an adulterous wife, i could cast aside with relative ease when faced with the much more justifiable morality presented in the charter.

the charter of rights and freedoms is considered, along with tommy douglas's universal health care, as some of the most important canadian legislation. i couldn't be prouder of my country for adding the document to the constitution.

in this case then it is an institution similar to religion. the charter was introduced to me at a young age (not as young as religion mind you) and it was presented in a way that predisposed me to believing it, just like religion. the difference is that as i got older there was no gaping holes in the charter's logic that could lead me to seek out an alternative basis for morality. in the case of the arguments of the religious establishment, my own personal feelings leaned toward a skepticism. i think from the very first time i began to examine the stories with a critical eye i began to realize an underlying truth about faith in a god. whether or not you believe and hold to your faith makes no difference to your circumstances. the way in which you interpret the Word and apply it to your life is what makes the difference.

take calvinists for example. they developed a fantastic work ethic through their interpretation that hard work, thrift and production by the sweat of ones brow, is virtuous and godly and would smooth their road into heaven. the effects of this interpretation are still being felt today. i should know having reaped some of the benefits of that ethic in my comfortable upbringing. i would never disparage the interpretation or the ethic of calvinists. i just feel that they're faith, while prerequisite for their time period, is unnecessary. i can see that hard work is virtuous and will bring you benefits without believing in the dubious incentive of an afterlife in paradise.

It is late and so I must be brief. I'd love to tackle more of what HD and ST have posted thus far but in an effort to be more coherent tomorrow I will let the two of you marinate some more on the subject. So the whole nation of Canada agrees--wonderful! What happens when another whole nation disagrees with Canada's stance, and sets up one of their own? On what grounds can you say that Canada's stance is right and another people group is wrong? For instance lets say me and my fake country we will call it Geoneosephen, decide that we as a nation want to rape and torture any people of questionable descent (in this case canadian descent) on what basis could you tell us that we are in fact wrong, and you are in fact right?

HD you appeal to the golden rule as though it was an overarching mandate across humanity, where does said mandate originate from. From within yourself? If so how does it have any bearing on how I act? Does it come from within society? What if my societies mandate is different? Where does it get its authority (to be used as a standard to judge oneself and others)?

-Powder

PS Wonderfully honest posts boys, we really must find a pub somewhere and share a glass :D.

#74 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 07 January 2010 - 02:06 PM

View PostPowder, on 05 January 2010 - 09:35 PM, said:

Terez you sound like the average person who grows up in the western church. It is not secret that she is dieing. Currently 70% of youths who grow up in the church in America leave and never return. It is a story that breaks my heart. If I had to guess, Christianity was given to you like this: Here are a bunch of rules to keep God happy. Make sure you go to church often, give them some of your money, and if you aren't so bad at keeping these rules someday you get into heaven. If you are bad and do not, you go to hell. Now lets sing that next hymn. It did'nt take you long to figure out that the second you do not hold these same presuppositions (you may not have called them that at the time) like Heaven and hells existence, you no longer needed to abide by the rules which were always so restrictive anyway. So you stopped.

This is not exactly how it went.

Interestingly, I have an aunt who made a similar assumption recently. I have a few friends on Facebook from my dad's side of the family (the extremely religious side), but nevertheless they have different circles on Facebook. There was a poll going around, 'Do you believe that Jesus died for your sins?' I took the poll, and posted it with the simple question, 'Why should I believe?' Surprisingly, both my stepmom and my aunt replied on the thread. My stepmom took the in-and-out route, posting why she felt I should believe, and not coming back, but my aunt made a few comments. It was surprising to me because she is a very sweet and seemingly non-confrontational women (this is based on my limited experience of her - she has lived in New Jersey almost my whole life, but her husband is a commercial pilot out of JFK, so she has the opportunity to visit often), and there was already a bit of heat in the debate when she stepped in.

Anyway, she mentioned that she felt the Church was dying because there was too much emphasis on rules, and not enough emphasis on a personal relationship with Jesus.

The church I was raised in (by her brother, my dad) was a large-ish conservative, non-charismatic Southern Baptist church. From my earliest memories, I remember being told that Good Works™ do not get anyone into heaven. It was a fact emblazoned upon my brain. Faith in Jesus was the only thing that would get me into heaven, faith that Jesus died for my sins, and that if I only accepted his sacrifice, then I would spend eternity with Jesus. And of course, the acceptance must be sincere. If my acceptance was sincere, then the proof of it would be a Personal Relationship with Jesus Christ™. So long as I continued to have faith, then Jesus would hold my hand through the ups and downs of life, and I would see the evidence of his hand in my life, up to and including tithing and Good Works™. If I prayed (in the right way, of course - plenty of advice on that in the Bible), I would see the answers to my questions in some way (always indirect - no one I knew claimed to actually hear the Voice of God), and my needs provided for. The best way to develop a Personal Relationship with Jesus™ was to read my Bible, and to surround myself with Christian fellowship, to pray, and to make God a factor in every aspect of my life, all the while opening myself up to the will of God.

Does any of that sound familiar? Most of it is straight out of Luther, and hasn't changed much at its core since then. It is the staple of most 'serious' Protestants' doctrine diet, and even Catholics have adopted the approach over the years, though they maintain the Sacraments in the same category as the Good Works™, but somewhat higher-placed - if you are a Real Christian™ possessing a Personal Relationship with Jesus Christ™, then of course you will want to do the Sacraments (which is not that different from what Catholic doctrine has always been).

I was also taught from a young age that there were churches like you describe, where Christianity was casual, and where the Good News™ was downplayed for more mundane aspects of religion. Now that I am an atheist, I believe that this assumption is largely a myth. There are certainly 'casual' Christians, but most of them do not go to church at all, or at least very rarely. There are a good number who go to church for some non-faith reasons, but most of these people have faith as well, or at least believe that they do every bit as much as the 'serious' Christians, and many believe (with good reason) they actually understand the true message of Jesus better than the zealots. I believe now that most churches are just as serious about the Good News™ as any other; the church staff and elders have come to accept that they depend on many 'casual' Christians for tithes, but they do not like it.

Make no mistake: I believed this every bit as much as you do now. In retrospect, I can see that I suppressed the questions that caused me to question my faith, but I believed wholeheartedly. I was aware of those questions to the point of having justifications for them, but I knew that some of these justifications were weak, and it was this that I tended to suppress.

My church typically did not allow the baptism of young children, following the philosophy that children would not be held accountable on Judgment Day, and that the decision to Get Saved™ should be a conscious one made by a mature mind. There was no specific age limit, but the pastor always interviewed the children who wanted to get baptized to make sure that they were ready, and the ones who were deemed ready were usually no younger than 12 (which is, of course, the age at which Jesus became a man, when he went rogue to church without his parents' permission).

I don't remember exactly how old I was when I first got baptized, but I remember being indoctrinated enough to start immediately looking for evidence in my life of what I had done, and I remember finding it. The experience itself was charged with emotion to the point of rapture, which I of course saw as evidence of God touching me. I can't recall now exactly what evidence I found beyond that, but I can remember from later years the sort of thing that I typically saw as evidence of God working in my life. At the top of the list were coincidences, of any kind. If a coincidence was fortunate, then it was God's hand helping me. If a coincidence was neutral or unfortunate, then I would look for some kind of message in it, and try to figure out what God was trying to tell me.

Of course, there were also several of these otherworldly emotional experiences over the years, where I felt God was touching me or speaking to me in some way. My church had a number of events for the youth of the church, especially for the teenagers who were all by then expected to be saved. We did mission work in various places, and went to revival conferences where there was always much renewal of faith for everyone. We had Sunday School for 2 hours before the service - the first hour was intensive Bible study for small groups, sorted by age and gender, and the second hour was a collective meeting of the entire teenage group. We were expected to take notes during the pastor's sermon. We were encouraged to disagree with church elders on points of doctrine, and certainly encouraged to discuss things. We were discouraged from taking a hard line on questions of doctrine unless there was some sort of obvious moral choice.

Also, since I am a musician, I was very sensitive to the emotional aspect of church music. Some of it is very well-written in terms of how it works to stimulate certain emotions. I was in the choir from my earliest memories, and began singing in the adult choir some years before everyone else because I had the ear to sing alto. I played trumpet in a praise band. I took piano lessons briefly from the church pianist, and sometimes snuck into the church's smaller chapel to experiment with the organ. I was in the handbell choir, playing both with the youth and the adults. Our Minister of Music was an extremely talented musician with whom I am still in touch.

I saw all of these things - the emotional experiences, whether in revival or music or random, the coincidences, etc. - along with my ideas about the perfection of creation and the incomprehension of a finite existence - as proof of God. I couldn't provide any evidence for his existence, but I knew he was real. It frustrated me that I couldn't properly convey that knowledge to other people.

I stopped going to church for one reason above all others: despite the doctrine that encourages the believer to focus on the Personal Relationship™ rather than on deeds, the church fellowship inevitably becomes a continual display of hypocrisy, due to the human weakness that is well-documented in the Bible. No one is perfect, but inevitably it becomes clear that some Christians are less perfect than others, and that some might not be Christians at all. Despite the doctrinal justifications for ignoring this hypocrisy, supporting each other rather than accusing, after a while it became clear to me that it was impossible to avoid.

I actually tried going to other churches for a while, working on the assumption that my church was flawed because it was big and affluent. I tried going to smaller churches with friends, most of them not Baptist, and found the same thing there - people whose lives were ruled by measuring themselves against each other, and against the rest of the world. They were bound together by the latter, and divided by the former. I think it is inevitable because the line between what makes a Real Christian™ and what makes a poser is so unclear. It matters to the individual because they need some sort of indicator of where they stand with God. Most Christians will tell you that they know where they stand with God, and believe it, but the truth is that it is difficult to gauge how much of our own failings can be explained by human weakness, and how much is an indicator of a lack of faith. The 'evidence' of our Relationship™ is tenuous at best - very few will claim to have actually seen an angel or anything like that, or to have heard the Voice of God; our 'evidence' is normally more subtle than that - so we look for the seemingly more solid indicator of our faith in our behavior, whether consciously or unconsciously.

The Bible suggests that there is much in the lives of the vast majority of individuals that would indicate a lack of faith. Supposedly, if you have enough faith in God, you should be able to heal people. A old friend of mine posted on the same Facebook thread that my aunt jumped in (he was part of why the debate was heated when she arrived, along with another friend who is an atheist). His answer to the question, 'Why should I believe?', included an assertion that he had seen faith healing done with his own eyes, by his father (a pastor). He claimed that the media was not interested in documenting this, or investigating it at all. Having watched several documentaries on faith healing and the like, I of course disagreed with him.

When I was 17, some of the last churches I tried before giving up on church altogether were charismatic churches. I had read the Paul and Jerusalem Church bits of the New Testament enough to know what their doctrine stemmed from, and I thought that perhaps they were on to something. I found that the charismatic churches (I went to several) were in general a bit rougher than the non-charismatic. There were a lot more poor folk, and many more members with colorful pasts, including drug use and general debauchery, children out of wedlock, etc. At first I thought this was really nifty and non-judgmental, and I thought that it jived a lot better with Jesus's healing the sick philosophy.

I approached the charismatic aspect of the service with an open mind at first. A pastor made his way down a line of the church youth, touching them on the forehead and proclaiming something about being slain in the spirit or whatever it was. Each one of them collapsed at his touch. I was not indoctrinated in this belief, but I knew that they believed that these youth were collapsing because they were touched by God (otherwise, it would be incredibly silly). When he got to me, I opened my mind to the experience, and collapsed at his touch. But I realized as I did it that there was nothing truly special about it; I opened my mind to collapsing, and my muscles obeyed. I also realized how easy it would be for someone who was indoctrinated in this Truth™ to believe that God was taking control in a situation like that.

I went to a few tent revival type things, and saw a lot, but after a while I learned how to avoid being made to participate in the charismatic elements of the service. I saw people 'speaking in tongues', but it didn't seem to me to be anything like how it was done in the early days of the Holy Spirit, where the point was that each person would hear the speaker in his own language (a sort of reverse Babel effect). I saw several 'slain in the spirit' type things. I saw a lot of hand-raising and swaying and crying. I never saw anything close to a convincing faith healing. As I got to know several charismatics, I realized that many of them lived perpetual cycles of their colorful pasts, having periods of lack of faith and drug use or drinking, and periods of being good and going to church. Some of them lived both at the same time. And I didn't really feel all that judgmental toward the drug-users, either - I was abstemious at the time, but many of my friends were not - but I questioned whether the drug use might in some cases contribute to the ability of these people to believe so strongly in these apparently fake rituals.

So I stopped going to church altogether when I first went to college in 1996, with the exception of the occasional visit to my dad's new church (a small country-type church even though it is in the city) and performances with the university handbell choir, which I did for two years. I continued to believe for about ten more years, though. I had just become convinced that church was detrimental to faith. I didn't acknowledge at the time that church was also largely necessary to maintain faith.

The 'rules' were largely irrelevant in all of this. Most of the moral rules of Christianity, I still keep to this day; the religious rules are even murkier than the moral ones, and they are only relevant if you believe, and only really onerous if you do not.

My loss of faith came because I decided that my 'evidence' for God's existence was arbitrary, and in fact no different from the evidence that one finds to support the belief in the daily horoscope. The particulars of the belief system are complicated and murky enough to be near-infinitely manipulable, and the search for evidence for God's existence is, in fact, a contradiction of faith itself.

I used to love reading stories about people who had an experience with something like a guardian angel, or a faith healing, things like that (the story of M is a good example of that sort of thing), but after a while I began to question why things like this never happened to me. There is the obvious answer, that I did not have enough faith. But I didn't believe that was true at all - I had plenty of faith, as much as anyone else and probably more than most in my teenage years. I knew that the point of faith was that there were not going to be any miracles to prove God's existence for me - he would always leave some measure of doubt. There is always a more mundane explanation for something that appears to be supernatural.

Once I realized that my evidence was arbitrary, I also had to face the fact that my faith was inherently selfish. This meshed with the knowledge that I had accumulated over the years. I had come to know several non-Christians, and had come to the conclusion that Christians did not seem any better served by their faith, in general, than people of other religions. I came to see Christianity as just another means of man placing himself above other men, down to the most selfless detail. The morals of Western culture are difficult to separate from Christianity simply because Christianity has ruled the roost for nearly two thousand years, but non-Christian cultures have developed similar moral codes, in some cases more strict, in some cases less but still quite effective. What did Christianity have to offer that other belief systems did not? Well, I had always assumed that Christianity had something special to offer, obviously, but I had no evidence upon which to base those beliefs, nothing clear to show that Christians had something that other people did not. The only argument for the Truth of Christianity was the fact that it was the largest religion in the world, but what I knew of history did not indicate that this dominance was gained by any particular virtue of Christianity. There was also the fact that democracy ostensibly came out of Christianity - and indeed, there is good support of this with Jesus's 'give unto Caesar' philosophy - but not only did the age of revolution coincide with a time when religious was questioned more rigorously than it ever had been: it also has become somewhat of a false dichotomy in Western culture, especially in the US, where other ideas are pitted against democracy unnecessarily. There is a great deal more to support communism in the gospels than there is to support democracy. This is, of course, a false dichotomy, as communism and democracy are not opposites, but in US culture the two are pitted against one another quite religiously. Which leads me to this:

This question is for anyone(who is athiest) to answer: "On what grounds do you base human rights?"

Human rights are most certainly a social construct. The moral codes of the various ancient religions all seem to have been derived from the same basic sentiments, that men should not harm one another (unless gods will it), that the rights and freedoms of the individual should not be a detriment to the rights and freedoms of society as a whole. There is a great deal of room for subjectivity in those sentiments, and there always has been, hence the difference between cultures and the evolution of cultures over time, and their efforts to manipulate, dominate, and even eradicate other cultures to their own benefit. And yet, in all cultures, there is evidence for those who sought to understand other cultures, sought to make peace rather to subjugate.

The grounds upon which we should base human rights should, above all, be logic. It's not a perfect tool, and it is still subjective to a large extent, but in my opinion, it is the best tool that we have. In my opinion, religion only serves to complicate the moral code. I can agree with Christians on the vast majority of their moral codes, insofar as they relate to society as a whole, but there are certain places at which I will butt heads with most Christians, and people of other religions as well. I won't assume that any particular religious person reading this is a promulgator of these views; they are merely examples of places where I feel religion complicates moral code in a negative way.

The designation of homosexuality as a sin, for example. Now, I know a lot of Christians who adopt this philosophy: that Jesus said that one sin is much the same as the next, and all men, even Christians, are sinners in one way or another, and have no right to judge each other. I think that the spirit behind that philosophy is probably a good spirit, but it nevertheless has a dangerous edge to it, where a true crime might be seen as equal with a minor offense - not that I think that any of these people are really in danger of making that mistake (they are mostly good people); it just creates an inconsistency - but if the issue is approached from a perspective of pure logic, then this dangerous justification is not necessary. There are other justifications from Christians who have chosen to be non-judgmental on this issue: some believe it is not a sin at all, because Jesus never mentioned it (that calls a large percentage of the New Testament into question, but I have heard it said, 'I am a Christian, not a Paulian', and this ranges to things such as the expected behavior of women in church). It can probably be determined with a fair amount of confidence whether or not homosexuality is harmful to society, and it should probably not be assumed to be harmful to society without a great deal of evidence.

There is some evidence that anal sex can be harmful to a person's health, for instance. But the phenomenon is hardly limited to homosexuality, and fails to represent half of homosexuals at all. Logically, rather than approaching the issue from the angle of 'sin', it seems best to approach the issue from a technical perspective, informing kids in sex education classes exactly why it isn't healthy, how some of those adverse effects might be avoided, and which ones can't be avoided. The introduction of the religious argument into the picture complicates the issue because it is a religious taboo. Most Christians in the US believe it is sinful to introduce teenagers to the details of anal sex in order to inform them of its dangers; at least partly because of this belief, the phenomenon remains widespread among those who are unaware of the risks beyond HIV, which everyone knows about (if not how widespread it has become).

Then, there is some argument that homosexuality is a detriment to society because it endangers the necessary cultural building block, the so-called traditional family. But there is actually a great deal of evidence that the 'traditional family' is tied up with a great number of social injustices, and isn't necessarily as beneficial as it is purported to be. There is argument against allowing homosexual couples to marry and adopt children, based on religious tradition and nothing else, beyond an outdated notion that it is our moral duty to personally populate the world, when there are so many children in the world that need homes. The idea that we own our children is deeply rooted; in terms of adoption, and laws where children can be taken away from their parents, to a degree we already compete for the right to have children. But it is unthinkable that we should also compete for the right to give birth to children. Technology is being developed that might make it possible for homosexual couples to conceive their own children - who are we to say that they do not have the right?

I know that a lot of people believe that their faith is the source of their morality, and I don't necessarily have a problem with that, even though I think that religion and morality grew together as social constructs in the widespread and multifaceted attempt to cultivate a society that survives and thrives. I only have a problem when an action is condemned for no real reason other than religion. In the case of homosexuality, I can see a number of reasons why it came to be outlawed in certain societies, some with good intentions and some with selfish intentions, but I don't think that these reasons have stood up to the test of time.

Another example that is not so black-and-white for me is the issue of abortion. It would definitely be considered murder to kill a baby as soon as it is born, so there is a question of where that line should be drawn. I believe that Christians would have much better success in this area if they would approach it from a preventative angle rather than from a legal angle, but approaching it from a preventative angle requires once again that the Christian sex taboo be put aside, which so many Christians seem unwilling to do.

So, aside from the question of where our morals come from, I suspect that most Christians believe that religion is a necessary motivator for men to abide by a moral code, whether by an institution of enforcement, or by a Personal Relationship with Jesus™. Again, I think religion only complicates the issue, because it necessitates the belief that the path we have chosen is somehow superior to other paths, based on things that have little to do with the actual merit of an action. If the religious person acknowledges that other paths can be equal, then religion is therefore irrelevant to motivation, and the code of morality is independent of religion.

Since it cannot be established that there is an afterlife, then I believe that we have no choice but to behave as though the years we have in this life are the only ones we will ever have, and there is no better goal to aspire toward than the betterment of life for all people. It is honest to acknowledge that there will always be selfish motivations lurking beneath benevolent acts; I believe it is even healthy to acknowledge that. I find it difficult to separate religious piety from vanity of the worst kind. No offense to the Christians reading; that is how I came to see myself when I finally lost my faith, and Solomon's philosophical rants might have had a great deal to do with that loss of faith. I can still relate to Ecclesiastes; he asks the right questions, though in some cases I disagree with the conclusions that he supposedly came to. :nono:

There it is.

#75 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 07 January 2010 - 08:33 PM

The obvious point is that without a divine being setting down laws, humanity is forced to come up with its own set of "rights." You asked on what grounds do I base human rights. I delivered them. I feel no need to provide you a history/political science lesson on Socrates, Plato, and other philosophers. MY grounds lie in a mixture of various philosophies.

Edit: So atheism equals individual anarchy? Nope. Don't buy it. That is a very BAD point.

This post has been edited by H.D.: 07 January 2010 - 08:36 PM

Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#76 User is offline   Powder 

• Fist

Posted 07 January 2010 - 10:12 PM

View PostH.D., on 07 January 2010 - 08:33 PM, said:

The obvious point is that without a divine being setting down laws, humanity is forced to come up with its own set of "rights." You asked on what grounds do I base human rights. I delivered them. I feel no need to provide you a history/political science lesson on Socrates, Plato, and other philosophers. MY grounds lie in a mixture of various philosophies.

Edit: So atheism equals individual anarchy? Nope. Don't buy it. That is a very BAD point.

I hold to this point, from an atheist world view humans are not a moral beings any more than apes are--so why use that kind of language at all?

I also do not recall saying that atheism ends in anarchy either, nor was that ever my point. So yes that would be a bad point. Atheism however does equal a society with out a 'morality'. Does that equal anarchy? No. A great degree of structure is possible without 'morals', one can look at the animal kingdom readily enough. Ants are not moral creatures, yet they maintain a highly structured society. If one ant kills another ant and eats it, he doesn't go to ant jail. Stating such a thing sounds preposterous--because it is. Ants are not moral beings, humans should not be either.

Back on point- What makes those philosophies right and good? What disqualifies other philosophies? What history is acceptable? What political science schools of thought are better/worse than others? You may not have the time to answer, I think you are darn near a Lawyer so the lack of time is probable, but please some more elaboration. You have so much knowledge to give/share why not use it?

-Powder

This post has been edited by Powder: 08 January 2010 - 05:21 AM

#77 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 07 January 2010 - 10:18 PM

So be a good atheist, rise above these petty ideas about morality for you there is no right and wrong. Only actions you like or find preferable to other actions.

Atheism does not mean a society without morality. Society itself has created a system of rules that equate to morality. If you believe there is no God, it follows that God is not the sole purveyor of morality, else there would be the type of anarchy you talk about above, where might makes right.

This is tangential, but I cannot stress how much I disagree with the notion that atheism equals lack of morality on its face.

#78 User is offline   Adjutant Stormy~ 

Posted 07 January 2010 - 10:18 PM

View PostPowder, on 07 January 2010 - 08:19 PM, said:

1. People who are mentally handicapped are a drain on resources both in the private and public sectors.
2. The State could save x amount of money every year by eliminating said drains.
3. Therefore we kill all the mentally handicapped people in the state.

3. Therefore we should minimize said drain in a TBD logical fashion.
<begin logical discussion on minimization>

The jump to murder is the illogical step.

And to echo HD, there is much lacking in the assumptions. Society would break down without some moral code, but the assumption remains that God is the great font of all morality. As long as people are logical, they will form collectives and enumerate rules. Society doesn't need God.

there is no right and wrong. Only actions you like or find preferable to other actions. There are no absolutes that we can know, and so each man is left to his own devices to find out how he wants to live

Congratulations, you have found the truth. However, there are more complex reasons why people in vacuo would behave morally. Society hardly breaks down, and logic still holds.
Assumptions:
1) People can accomplish more by working in concert.
2) Working together requires an element of trust, i.e. trust that they will not be killed, robbed, etc. etc.

Therefore it is in a person's interest, when not by one's self with nobody around, to foster this trust. The simplest way is by agreement, written, spoken, or unspoken, that to ensure that certain actions not be taken against themselves individually (killing, stealing, raping, etc. etc.), people consent to have their actions limited similarly (they likewise agree not to rape, murder, etc.). Morality develops. Throw in an agreed-upon punishment mechanism and you have Law.

There are obviously always going to be exceptional people, who rape, and murder, and steal, and vandalize, irrespective of the benefits of not doing so. But there are those people in the Christian community too. It is safe to say that it's a Human factor, not a moral factor.
Unsophisticated logic yields Eugenics, etc. in the absence of God's unfaltering moral compass. More sophisticated logic yields the span of human morality.

if you take out the ultimate example of goodness you lose all goodness. You can no longer speak in those terms. And why would you? All you are is a random collection of atoms anyway can a knife be morally good? Can a rock? No it is nonsense to think such things! Maybe those are too distant, can a fish be morally good? A cow? No! These are just animals, they do what animals do--survive! As an atheist that is what you are, when you look in the mirror see yourself for what you are--an animal!

Removing the ultimate example of Goodness, you leave things of relative goodness behind. Fried chicken, for example. If we're talking about colors, white to black, and you eliminate white or black; there is no example of white or black anywhere to be found, but grays remain- lighter can still be judged from darker. In fact, we can still define white and black, as the lightest and darkest imaginable gray. Unless we're talking about just absolutes (a black and white worldview), at which point I believe ridicule would be in order.

Amongst things in this universe, the difference is choice. A knife cannot choose to act; in fact, it cannot act at all. It possesses no moral value. A fish, a cow, a human can act, they can even sometimes choose between actions. This means that there is some degree of moral value. The only issue is how you measure it.
<!--quoteo(post=462161:date=Nov 1 2008, 06:13 PM:name=Aptorian)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Aptorian @ Nov 1 2008, 06:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=462161"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God damn. Mighty drunk. Must ... what is the english movement movement movement for drunk... with out you seemimg drunk?

bla bla bla

EDIT: We has editted so mucj that5 we're not quite sure... also, leave britney alone.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#79 User is offline   Powder 

• Fist

Posted 07 January 2010 - 10:22 PM

Thank you for spelling that out. I have never heard it put that way before! I really like what you did there... I think I need a minute to take it all in.

EDIT:

Had to re-read that a couple times to really get the feel for that. As you can see both sides tend to set up 'paper tiger' arguments against the other. It is quite refreshing to see that one thoroughly trounced. Probably going to use the fried chicken argument in class come the end of this month. I think it is crucial for both sides of this debate to stop looking at things in shades of 'black and white' (probably the second best part of the above post, besides of course the chicken). The world is simply messier than such a cut and dry interpretation will allow.

To be honest this is why I persist in reading this thread--it opens ones eyes to new ideas that are otherwise unavailable to the reader. Do you honestly think I would ever get something like that in a Christian circle? Conversely, does Christianity get represented well in Atheist circles? The biggest learning point that I think one can take from all of this is that one does not need to commit intellectual suicide to believe in either of these two world views.

Edited yet again: Good point from HD as well, its funny that one of my biggest pet peeves is Either/Or reasoning and I just did that. Self pwned. Ever paint yourself into a corner after warning others not to do the same?

-Powder

This post has been edited by Powder: 07 January 2010 - 10:33 PM

#80 User is offline   Adjutant Stormy~ 

Posted 07 January 2010 - 10:37 PM

Thank you powder,

I've had the moral relativism argument many a time before. And whether you're fighting straw-men or paper-tigers, it really is most beneficial for all parties to actually respect the intelligence of the other.

bla bla bla

Share this topic:

• 12 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users