• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Saddest Scene What's the saddest scene to you in the series? Rate Topic: -----

#81 User is offline   tremain 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 02 June 2010 - 09:17 PM

I think people are counting Bottle (and Quick Ben) out too fast. Keneb? sure, goner. There were pieces of him flying around, but Bottle is probably still alive and so is QB. The saddest scene for me was one with a demon and i don't even remember the book or most of the context, i think a demon was dying and he says "i was a caster of nets". Just the thought that in his home plane this poor creature that has been summoned against his will and made to fight and die for a cause not his own was nothing but a simple fisher thing (almost said man) was very depressing to me, specially since the "good" guys are just as likely to summon and slave demons as the bad guys.

#82 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 03 June 2010 - 04:01 AM

View Posttremain, on 02 June 2010 - 09:17 PM, said:

I think people are counting Bottle (and Quick Ben) out too fast. Keneb? sure, goner. There were pieces of him flying around, but Bottle is probably still alive and so is QB. The saddest scene for me was one with a demon and i don't even remember the book or most of the context, i think a demon was dying and he says "i was a caster of nets". Just the thought that in his home plane this poor creature that has been summoned against his will and made to fight and die for a cause not his own was nothing but a simple fisher thing (almost said man) was very depressing to me, specially since the "good" guys are just as likely to summon and slave demons as the bad guys.

MT. Lilac the Kenyll'rah. Trull's buddy. great way to develop trulls character
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#83 User is offline   GruntlesTigerFangs 

• Recruit

Posted 07 June 2010 - 09:25 AM

Itkovian, Whiskeyjack and Coltaine's deaths are given.

Hedges grief over Trull, Hetan, Toc's death @ the hands other the Letherii troops, and Tool's grief, were all hard.

Beak was such moment of sheer generosity to those he calls friends, and more, i couldn't help but almost shed tears.

#84 User is offline   Tyrant 

• You shall reap it

Posted 11 June 2010 - 09:00 PM

There have been many, not least Coltaine and Itkovian, but one that stood out and affected me more than I would have ever expected it to was...Murillio. It was just so...pointless.

This post has been edited by Tyrant: 11 June 2010 - 09:00 PM

#85 User is offline   Calmerwater 

• Recruit

Posted 13 June 2010 - 04:57 PM

Totally agree with what others have said, I think tho' for me it had to be Coltaine's end... I was new to fantasy fiction and Erikson and was completely unprepared for to lose him. I also think Murillo's death was completely depressing.

How amazing that an author can make me feel so deeply!
Speak truth, grow still, until the water is clear between us.

#86 User is offline   Lucky Revenant 

• Corporal

Posted 14 June 2010 - 07:43 PM

Anomander's Sacrifice is, to me, the absolute most dramatic moment in the series. Also, the saddest. Between the events that immediately preceded his death, including when Hood let that one guard live because he was a "bright soul" or something like that, to his dual with Dassem, to his ultimate sacrifice inside Dragnipur, to the reactions of the High Priestess and Endest Silann, as well as Draconus's reaction. All of it.

The whole explosion of shit at the end of the Barghast storyline in DoD is up there, too. From the hobbling to what's-his-name dying, to Tool killing himself, to Toc turning Tool away, to Tool's kids running from that one Barghast bastard. All of it hit me hard.

And Itkovian's death was pretty sad. And, when Whiskeyjack died, I had to put the book down for an hour or so. Hell, even when I reread it I have to put the book down for an hour or so.

Tehol getting the life kicked out of him at the end of MT also did a number on me. And then in RG, I think it was, when Tehol and Janath got taken by the Patriotists and Bugg tried going after them but was captured by the altar.../cry

I also think the end of DoD goes without saying, really.

#87 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 14 June 2010 - 08:11 PM

You know, for all the complaints about dead characters who come back, nobody seems too upset about Tehol returning. I guess the board collectively has a thing for men who wear nothing but a blanket.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#88 User is offline   Iamshadowkiller 

• Recruit

Posted 19 June 2010 - 09:56 AM

It's been a while but I don't remember Tehol dying, I remember it as him being at the brink of death with his body pretty much destroyed and Bugg picks him up and heals him. I must re-read that part now.

#89 User is offline   NikitaDarkstar 

• Lieutenant

Posted 22 June 2010 - 10:16 PM

Oh there's alot of them for me, and all hasn't been mentioned yet.

Tocs whole story, he's one of my favorite characters, and perhaps one of the most tragic to me. When he finally died at the hands of the Letherii I was both sad, but a little relived, he had become a very bitter character afterall. (Who can blame him?) But then SE just couldn't leave him alone. There's one scene in TtH I'm fairly certain, inside Dragnipur, where he just wants to get close to the Bridgeburners, not because he was one of them, but just to be able to die properly next to them. But no, he had to get kicked one more time, and get forced into turning Tool away from the afterlife and destroy perhaps the last true friendship he had.

Hetan and Cafals deaths. Time wise they happen not that far apart. Cafal comes to try and rescue his sister, gets cut down just before she gets there. Then Hetan stumbles close, scares of the people who killed her brother.. and then just dies in the night 40 paces from her brother, that hit me hard.

And this moment perhaps isn't so sad, but it stands out to me anyway. It's from The Bonehunters, where Shadowthrone and Cotillion is using Minala and a large number of children (trained as soldiers) to defend a throne (thronw of shadow I think it was? it's been a while.. and I don't feel like flipping through the intire book again). Minala has gotten help from Quick Ben, Onrack and Trull, and the battle is over, for now

Trull spat again - the insides of his mouth were lacerated - then grunted and squinted up at Cotillion. "I will not fight here again," he said. "Nor will Onrack, nor these children - Cotillion, please -" The god turned away. "Of course not, Trull Sengar."
Trull watched Cotillion walk through the archway, and the Tiste Edur's gaze fell once more on the body of Ahlranda Ahn. As Shadowthrone approached Quick Ben, Trull climbed to his feet and made his way to where his friend was lying. Ahlranda Ahn. I do not understand you - I never understood you - but I thank you nonetheless. I thank you...
He stepped to the entranceway, looked out, and saw Cotillion, The Patron of Assassins, the god, sitting on a shelf of stone that had slipped down from one wall, sitting, alone, with his head in his hands.

Not only does it sum up that intire situation pretty well fr me, but it also makes it that much easier for me to relate to Cotillion, and makes the differences between Cotillion and Shadowthrone that much clearer for me. PS: Sorry for quoting half a page worth of text.

Pearl and Lostra Yil, the whole situation around his death just feels very Romeo and Juliet to me, except much darker and grimer, since not only does Pearl think Lostra is gone (not to mention all the events leading up to him finally doing what he did) but Lostra ends up having to finish him off, and then living with that.
Sanity is nothing more than an excuse for being boring.

#90 User is offline   Malvos 

• Recruit

Posted 23 June 2010 - 03:15 PM

This thread finally got me to register, that and I just finished DoD last night. These powerful moments are what keep bringing me back, and for me I agree that the conversation between Aspalar and Squint on the boat was one of the better ones (that wasn't a death in itself) where two devastated people were able to give comfort in typical stoic fashion. This soldier's mentality of not getting too close or sharing too much also made the quote mentioned earlier, "You're breaking my heart Fid," even more poignant.

#91 User is offline   The Lord of Sorrow 

• Recruit

Posted 28 June 2010 - 03:32 AM

i think trull's death because it was so needless and out of the blue
then a moment that really hit me was when whiskeyjack had died and korlat was standing under Moons Spawn, with the rain from the skykeep mingling with her tears

#92 User is offline   Simmy 

• Recruit

Posted 06 July 2010 - 04:40 AM

"At once a shout rose from the length of the trench. 'HAIL THE MARINES.'

And the faces behind Corabb suddenly darkened, teeth barring. The instant transformation took his breath away. Iron, aye, you know all about iron.

The Nah'Ruk were five steps behind them.

The heavies rose up to meet them."

Not really sad, but one of the most moving parts of the series for me.

Also the two paragraphs describing how the heavies stopped and held the Nah'Ruk just blew me away. I had to read it like 3 times to get it in my head.

#93 User is offline   FuRiA_KuTaSoW 

• Recruit

Posted 13 July 2010 - 08:33 PM

"He stepped to the entranceway, looked out, and saw Cotillion, the Patron of Assassins, the god,
sitting on a shelf of stone that had slipped down from one wall, sitting, alone, with his head in his
hands. "

That touched me quite a bit, to be honest, as well as:

EPILOGUE

In a journey through the wastes, I found a god
kneeling as it pushed its hands into the sand
again and again, each time lifting them up
to watch the lifeless grains stream down.

Dismounting from my weary horse, I walked to stand before this apparition and its dusty hands
and watched for a time the cycles of their motion
when at last up it looked, eyes beseeching.

'Where,' asked this god, 'are my children?'

The Lost Believers
Fisher

#94 User is offline   GingerBreadMan 

• High Fist

Posted 27 July 2010 - 07:30 PM

Trull-Just a very cruel death

Coltaine and the whole Chain of Dogs

Hetan/Cafal was just brutal, not only was she eventually killed but she was essentially tortured to the point of losing her humanity

The ones that hit me were the more "human" characters, Anomander for example was so far beyond human that it was hard to feel sadness. Did Rake even suffer or was his will of such strength that he was almost robotic?

#95 User is offline   The son of darkness 

• Recruit

Posted 28 July 2010 - 08:23 PM

for me its got to be coltaines death closely followed by rakes sacrifice , also beaks death hit me hard.

#96 User is offline   jaysen 

• Corporal

Posted 29 July 2010 - 12:40 PM

Coltaine was the first real moment for me, but was quickly trumped by Iktovian's entire role in MoI.
Since MoI, nothing has really gotten to me, like Iktovian saddened me so much I haven't fully recovered.
Sure there are heart-wrenching scenes in all the following books, but for me they either don't compare or I have yet to recover well enough to feel the full impacts of all the other painful moments.
It might be because I read the first eight books of the series within four months.
Anyway, it seems like every other chapter has something to tug at your heart-strings, but the story is so captivating and masterfully written that we all will suffer the pains in hopes that some of our favorite characters will find some semblance of a happy ending.
Why should I infect them with my rage?

#97 User is offline   Meese 

• Krupps Kitten

Posted 04 August 2010 - 06:56 AM

Im with shield anvil. The frustration and anger and injustice I felt as Coltaine fell still gets me. I remember the first time I read it. I just had to stop as I could no longer see the page. When I re read DG a few weeks back I was not looking forward to that bit. And when I got to the fall I saw a few dried splashes on the page from the first time.

He does have a habit of killing off those we come to love. Trull for one. Iskaral Jarak another - I guess thats up there with Coltaine. But then it is the Malazan Book of the Fallen isn't it? I suspect we are in for quite a few more in TCG.
Now, ain't that just fine.

#98 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 04 August 2010 - 08:43 PM

not sure if it has been mentioned before, but came across this scene whilst rereading DG and guess never truely acknowledged it before but it is moving thinking about the context.. Icarium and Apsalar are talking before the gates of Tremorlor, about Icarium wanting to regain his lost memories...

...Memories are a weight you can never shrugg off."
A stubborn tone was evident as Icarium muttered, "A burden i would accept nonetheless."
"Let me offer some advice. do not say that to Mappo, unless you wish to further break his heart."
"I do not understand," Icarium said quietly after a time, "but i would never do that, lass."
"I do not understand." This time, the words were a whisper.
"Yet you wish to."
There was no reply to that. A minute passed, then there came to Mappo sounds of movement.
"Here, Icarium," Apsalar said, "dry those eyes. Jhag never weep."

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#99 User is offline   Lister of Smeg 

• King of High House Smeg

Posted 05 August 2010 - 08:44 PM

For me it was Murillio's death and Kruppe's reaction to it. Makes me tear up each time I reread the book. Even though he wasn't as grand a character as many of the others (or maybe because of this), his death really hit me.
Avoid being seen as racist by saying, "I'm not a racist, but ..." prior to making a racist comment.

#100 User is offline   GingerBreadMan 

• High Fist

Posted 05 August 2010 - 09:36 PM

View PostLister of Smeg, on 05 August 2010 - 08:44 PM, said:

For me it was Murillio's death and Kruppe's reaction to it. Makes me tear up each time I reread the book. Even though he wasn't as grand a character as many of the others (or maybe because of this), his death really hit me.

Slightly off topic, but I think the only way the Harlo/Murillio storyline makes sense is that Kruppe is something of a "seer" or a "prophet".

If he was as smart and tied into the "world" as he appears, wouldn't he have known about the mine outside Darujhistan that was using children?

Since he didn't, does that mean he isn't as in control of what he knows/is revealed to him?

Share this topic:

• 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users