Saddest Scene What's the saddest scene to you in the series? Rate Topic: -----

#101 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 06 August 2010 - 03:37 AM

GingerBreadMan, on 05 August 2010 - 09:36 PM, said:

Lister of Smeg, on 05 August 2010 - 08:44 PM, said:

For me it was Murillio's death and Kruppe's reaction to it. Makes me tear up each time I reread the book. Even though he wasn't as grand a character as many of the others (or maybe because of this), his death really hit me.

Slightly off topic, but I think the only way the Harlo/Murillio storyline makes sense is that Kruppe is something of a "seer" or a "prophet".

If he was as smart and tied into the "world" as he appears, wouldn't he have known about the mine outside Darujhistan that was using children?

Since he didn't, does that mean he isn't as in control of what he knows/is revealed to him?

sadly, even kruppe is imperfect, despite all his protestations to the contrary. i believe his clairvoyance is limited to darujhistan, or his immediate surroundings when he is abroad. kruppe and darujhistan are like pb&j, bread and butter, ketchup and mustard... you get the picture

edit: and even if he could see farther than that, how he interprets what he sees could make a difference in the outcome

This post has been edited by Sinisdar Toste: 06 August 2010 - 03:38 AM

There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#102 User is offline   Drayfield 

• Recruit
  • Interests:Reading nice things happening to nice people and generally having nice times.

Posted 17 August 2010 - 11:38 PM

I'd echo all the mentions of the big players in the thread so far... But after finishing DoD today there's one bit that really, really got me. He's only a new character but there's something about the way Sunrise sacrifices himself for Hedge that seems to sum up the effect the Malazans have on others:

He was a Bridgeburner. He was the man he had always wanted to be; he'd never stood taller, never walked straighter.

#103 User is offline   Excellence 

• High Fist

Posted 18 August 2010 - 01:22 AM

Quru Kan. That was such a grey scene where neither outcome was light it was heart wrenching.
If there were no smart people others wouldn't feel inadequate.

Right?

#104 User is offline   paindeer 

• Recruit

Posted 04 September 2010 - 02:34 AM

For me, oddly enough, it was the whole scene in MOI where Gruntle had held a butchered child's tattered rags as a banner and inspired the reluctant townsfolk into battle against the tenescowri. I realize this account was relayed by a mesenger (who was late because even he was inspired to fight alongside Gruntle)

I've read all the way to DoD and that was the only scene that actually made me cry.

#105 User is offline   Seras 

• Wicked Sick
  • View gallery
  • Interests:MBotF, Anime, Hockey, Strawberry Icecream, Parkour, Piano, Gaming, Music

Posted 04 September 2010 - 06:37 AM

"To live a hard life was to make solid and impregnable every way in, until no openings remained and the soul hid in darkness, and no-one else could hear its screams, its railing at injustice, its long, agonizing stretches of sadness. Hardness without created hardness within. Sadness was, as she well knew, not something that could be cured. It was not, in fact, a failing, not a flaw, not an illness of spirit. Sadness was never without reason, and to assert that it marked some kind of dysfunction did little more than prove ignorance, or worse, cowardly evasiveness in the one making the assertion. As if happiness was the only legitimate way of being. As if those failing at it needed to be locked away, made soporific with medications; as if the causes of sadness were merely traps and pitfalls in the proper climb to blissful contentment, things to be edged around or bridged, or leapt across on wings of false elation. Too often people mistook the sadness in others for self-pity, and in so doing revealed their own hardness of spirit, and more than a little malice" - Scillarra's thoughts on Duiker

"It seemed so easy for many people to divide war from peace, to confine their definitions to the un-ambivalent. Marching soldiers, pitched battles and slaughter. Locked armouries, treaties, fetes and city gates opened wide. But Fiddler knew that suffering thrived in both realms of existence - he'd witnessed too many faces of the poor, ancient crones and babes in a mother's arms, figures lying motionless on the roadside or in the gutters of streets - where the sewage flowed unceasing like rivers gathering their spent souls. And he had come to a conviction, lodged like an iron nail in his heart, and with its burning, searing realization, he could not longer walk and see what he saw with a neatly partitioned mind, replete with its host of judgements - that critical act of moral relativity - this is less, that is more. The truth in his heart was this: he no longer believed in peace. It did not exist except as an ideal to which endless lofty words paid service, a litany offering up the delusion that the absence of overt violence was sufficient in itself, was proof that one was better than the other. There was no dichotomy between war and peace - no true opposition except in their particular expressions of a ubiquitous inequity. Suffering was all-pervasive. Children starved at the feet of wealthy lords no matter how secure and unchallenged their rule. There was too much compassion within him - he knew that, for he could feel the pain, the helplessness, the invitation to despair, and from that despair came the desire - the need - to disengage, to throw up his hands and simply walk away, turn his back on all that he saw, all that he knew. If he could do nothing then, dammit, he would see nothing. What other choice was there? And so we weep for the fallen. We weep for those yet to fall, and in war the screams are loud and harsh, and in peace the wail is so drawn-out we tell ourselves we hear nothing. And so this music is a lament, and I am doomed to hear it's bittersweet notes for a lifetime. Show me a god that does not demand mortal suffering. Show me a god that celebrates diversity, a celebration that embraces even no-believers and is not threatened by them. Show me a god who understands the meaning of peace in life, not in death" - Fiddler's thoughts while playing a song for Braven Tooth, Ges & Stormy

"First in, last out, for the last time" - Picker and the surviving BBs as they leave Coral.

Blend slowly closed her eyes a second time. Oh, she was hurting, and a lot of that hurt couldn't be sewn up. They caught us. 'Picker'
'They slaughtered everyone, Blend. People with nothing but bad luck being here tonight. Skevos, Hedry, Larmas, little Boothal. All to take us down.'
From up the street came a squad of City Guard, lanterns swinging.
For such a scene as Blend was looking out on right now, there should be a crowd of unlookers, the ones hungry to see injured, dying people, the ones who fed on such things. But there was no one.
Because this was Guild work.
'Some of us are still breathing,' Blend said. 'It's not good to do that. Leave some marines still breathing.'
'No, it's not good at all.'
Blend knew taht tone. Still, she wondered. Are we enough? Is there enough in us to do this? Do we still have what's needed? They'd lost a healer and a mage this night. They'd lost the best of them. Because we were careless. - TtH, attack on Krul's Bar. The whole scene where the survivors gather to bury them hit me hard as well.

"Torn loose from the Malazan Empire, from Onearm's Host, the bedraggled clutch of survivors that was all that remained of the Bridgeburners had dragged their sorry backsides to Darujhistan. They found for themselves a cave where they could hide, surrounded by a handful of familiar faces, to remind them of what had pushed them each step of the way, from past to the present. And hoping it would be enouhg to take them into the future, one hesitant, wayward step at a time.
Slash knives into the midst of that meager, vulnerable clutch, and it just falls apart.
Mallet. Bluepearl." - TtH, Picker's thoughts while her soul drifts

Oh, what war does to people sniff sniff
Lives and loves, the gamut of existence was marked by such things. A breaking of paths, the ragged, uneven ever-forward stumble. Blood dried, eventually. Turned to dust. The corpses of kings were laid down and sealed in darkness and set away, to be forgotten. Graves were dug for fallen soldiers, vast pits like mouths in the earth, opened in hunger, and all the bodies were tumbled down, each exhaling a last gasp of lime dust. Survivors grieved, for a time, and looked upon empty rooms and empty beds, the scattering of possessions no-one possessed any longer, and wondered what was to come, what would be written anew on the wiped-clean slate. Wondering, how can I go on?

#106 User is offline   Benowar 

• Wrath of Fener

Posted 08 December 2010 - 11:13 PM

Coltaine, Toc in RG, Beak (what a sad lifetime-story...), Grey Swords and (in DoD) the final battle (Khundryl and marines...).

This post has been edited by Benowar: 08 December 2010 - 11:14 PM

#107 User is offline   Lister of Smeg 

• King of High House Smeg

Posted 09 December 2010 - 06:26 PM

I just finished rereading BH and realised just how sad poor old Ahlrada Ahn's death was. He just got Trull's forgiveness and began doing the right thing, then Icarium goes and slices him up. Poor bloke deserved more.
Avoid being seen as racist by saying, "I'm not a racist, but ..." prior to making a racist comment.

#108 User is offline   Loiosh 

• Recruit

Posted 14 December 2010 - 07:57 PM

I find myself most drawn to sympathy for Korlat as she rediscovered love, joy and happiness only to have it ripped from her in a heartbeat. One of the things I treasure about the Books of Malazan is that, unlike other series, those souls who are old and ancient feel truly ancient. There are no century-old dragons who exist only to be namelessly sacrificed (Dragonlance and all the such series) or are wise and sly but dumb (Smaug from Tolkien), but creatures who are intelligent, flawed and capable of changing. He does not fill out his novels with nameless ancient species all existing to only die; thus, the tragedy of seeing one's heart awoken to only be smote again gets me even more than just the loss.

If you're unaware, I'm speaking of Whiskyjack's death (observed by the soultolken Tiste Andii Korlat who loves him):
Korlat struggled to focus.

'It's me, Silverfox. Help is coming --'

The Tiste Andii tried to life a hand, to manage some kind
of gesture towards Whiskeyjack, but the desire remained
within her mind, racing in circles, and she knew by the
faint feel of damp grasses under her palm that her hand
did not heed her call.
'. . . thank him.' [to Silverfox]
'What?'
'For . . . your . . . life. Thank him, woman . . .'
death has already ridden across this hilltop.
Knowing nothing of reason.
My love.
He is yours, now, Hood . . . do you smile?
My love is . . . yours . . .

#109 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 14 December 2010 - 10:04 PM

Loiosh, on 14 December 2010 - 07:57 PM, said:

I find myself most drawn to sympathy for Korlat as she rediscovered love, joy and happiness only to have it ripped from her in a heartbeat. One of the things I treasure about the Books of Malazan is that, unlike other series, those souls who are old and ancient feel truly ancient. There are no century-old dragons who exist only to be namelessly sacrificed (Dragonlance and all the such series) or are wise and sly but dumb (Smaug from Tolkien), but creatures who are intelligent, flawed and capable of changing. He does not fill out his novels with nameless ancient species all existing to only die; thus, the tragedy of seeing one's heart awoken to only be smote again gets me even more than just the loss.

If you're unaware, I'm speaking of Whiskyjack's death (observed by the soultolken Tiste Andii Korlat who loves him):
Korlat struggled to focus.

'It's me, Silverfox. Help is coming --'

The Tiste Andii tried to life a hand, to manage some kind
of gesture towards Whiskeyjack, but the desire remained
within her mind, racing in circles, and she knew by the
faint feel of damp grasses under her palm that her hand
did not heed her call.
'. . . thank him.' [to Silverfox]
'What?'
'For . . . your . . . life. Thank him, woman . . .'
death has already ridden across this hilltop.
Knowing nothing of reason.
My love.
He is yours, now, Hood . . . do you smile?
My love is . . . yours . . .

and oh how poignant does that last line become as we come to TtH and DoD, and probably tCG.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#110 User is offline   Khellendros 

• Saboteur of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 22 December 2010 - 11:17 AM

One that hasn't been mentioned yet:

Midnight Tides, after Buruk the Pale drugs Seren Pedac and the last words she hears before she falls asleep - 'I always loved you.' And after, when she wakes up with the awful realisation but refusing to admit it before she sees, runs to Buruk's house, breaks down the door and sees his body hanging there. Even more powerful on a re-read, when you realise that Buruk had been dropping hints about his feelings for Seren and his wish to kill himself all that time.
"I think I've made a terrible error of judgement."

#111 User is offline   Dodger 

• Recruit
  • Interests:Motorcycles.reading,tattoo's+love big dogs :)

Posted 10 January 2011 - 06:53 PM

Hetan's hobbling.......+
how she dies....................
wanna be a sapper and get to blow shit up like fiddler

#112 User is offline   Destiny 

• Sergeant
  • Interests:MBotF,
    Supernatural,
    Vampire Diaries

Posted 10 January 2011 - 08:01 PM

"It shall be Caladan Brood and Anomander Rake, together one last time."

It's kinda weird, because (unfortunately) I'd been spoiled about Rake's death, so I already knew he was going to die and I'd been able to prepare myself mentally.
But then that line came along and I just started bawling my eyes out.

I also cried when the Chain of Dogs arrived at Aren. So emotional.
Я изучаю русский язык, but I'm not very good yet.

#113 User is offline   T'lan Imass 

• Recruit

Posted 01 March 2011 - 12:10 AM

Beak's death devastated me.
Along with that, you have pretty much covered everything.

Just to mention two more scenes.
The first is Strahl's death in DoD by Tool. He was expecting that at any moment one of the Senan would kill him. But what really happened was far more tragic.

Second, Rhulad's phrase in RG ''Where are my Edur? Why do I not see them?'' (or something like that. I don't remember exactly). I didn't like him much but those words......Abandoned, crazy, cursed.....

#114 User is offline   Glave 

• Recruit

Posted 11 March 2011 - 05:02 PM

Whiskeyjack and Trull really hit me hard, but I have NEVER in my life been so emotional in a book as when Pormqual tells the Aren Garrison to simply lay down their weapons and they are slaughtered to a man. I was so amazingly furious I had to stop reading and I think I punched every wall on the way out the house.

#115 User is offline   miriya 

• Kiss where?

Posted 11 March 2011 - 05:36 PM

And he knew to stand there
Would be a task unforgiving
Relentless as sacrifices made
And blood vows given
He knew enough to wait alone
Before the charge of fury’s heat
The chants of vengeance
Where swords will meet
And where once were mortals
Still remain dreams of home
If but one gilded door
Could be pried open.
Did he waste breath in bargain
Or turn aside on the moment
Did he smile in pleasure
Seeking chastisement?

(See him still, he stands there
While you remain, unforgiving
The poet damns you
The artist cries out
The one who weeps
Turns his face away
Your mind is crowded
By the inconsequential
Listing the details
Of the minuscule
And every measure
Of what means nothing
To anyone

He takes from you every rage
Every crime . . . Whether you like it
Or you do not . . .
Sacrifices made
Vows given
He stands alone
Because none of you dare
Stand with him)

Fisher’s challenge to his listeners,
breaking the telling of
The Mane of Chaos

This. This alone is every reason why Rake breaks my heart. And while it's not a scene, per se, that perspective sends my heart into my throat every time. ;______;

#116 User is offline   Rhaeldric 

• Recruit
  • Interests:Reading, writing, gaming (RPGs and MMOs-PM me if you'd like the list, I have accounts on most MMOs and I'm always looking for levelling buddies), drinking far too much coffee, laughing loudly at internet humour (which is not the same as "humour" humour), adding extra vowels to words.

Posted 15 March 2011 - 01:56 AM

Most of the scenes mentioned above got to me, but here's a few that stand out for me specifically:<br style="text-shadow: none;">
  • Mallet's death. He blamed himself for not forcing Whiskeyjack to let him heal his leg properly, despite the fact that Whiskeyjack was perfectly able to make his own decisions on the matter (and never mind that Hood's enmity was suggested as being the cause of Whiskeyjack's reluctance to accept healing.) He should have been able to retire and live quietly, but instead he was killed because a petty thug thought he might somehow be a threat.
  • The moment when Blend realises she loves Picker. The whole aftermath of the assault on K'rul's bar is brutal, but that moment stuck with me because it felt so honest, and because I felt like shouting out "Took you long enough, you idiot!"
  • Felisin's death at the hands of her sister-alone, terrified, restricted by her ridiculous armour, and unknowingly killed by the person who did everything she could to save her from Lassen's purge. The moment when Lostara and Pearl realise what has happened, but decide to keep quiet about it is tough too.
  • Beak's entire arc. That's one character that could have turned out really trite and condescending, but instead it felt beautiful and right.
  • Hetan and Cafal's deaths. Hetan's hobbling was awful in every way, but it's also not far from the truth as to how women were often tortured and used in cultures that emphasised brutality in punishment. The way the two of them died so near to each other was heartbreaking.
  • Murillio's death. Very much a story about how the "good guys" don't win just because they're good. I didn't expect it, and I had to stop reading for a while when it happened.
  • Sciallara's arc. She's not a "hero" in the way that someone like Rake or Brood is, but in some ways she's even more heroic-she lives through the darkest times possible, but finds the strength not to let it overwhelm her, and brings comfort to those who don't even realise they need it: Cutter, Duiker, Barathol, etc
  • The different ways in which Stonny and Seren respond to their rapes. Stonny's awkward relationship with her son, and Seren's need for revenge, are almost mirror images of how you would assume each would react given the nature of their personalities "before".
  • Lostara's compulsive sharpening of the dagger she used to kill Pearl. I wasn't so affected by the killing itself, but seeing how she couldn't forgive herself did hit me hard.
  • Mostly though, it's Tavore that moves me. She is the fulcrum that much of the action rests upon, but she remains distant and lonely. The few times we've seen past the armour, it's obvious that she knows she's in an impossible situation with no way out. I recently reread HoC, and this passage struck me again, made so much more poignant by the events of later books:

Tavore had claimed her brothers bone and antler toy soldiers... she had arranged a miniature battle. only later would Felisin learn that her nine-year old sister had been, in fact, recreating a set battle, culled from historical accounts of a century old clash between a Royal Untan army and the rebelling house of K'azz D'Avore. A battle that had seen the annihilation of the renegade noble family's forces and the subjugation of the D'Avore household. And that, taking on the role of duke Kenussen D'Avore, she was working through every possible sequence of tactics towards achieving a victory. Trapped by a series of unfortunate circumstance sin a steep-sided valley, and hopelessly outnumbered, the unanimous consensus among military scholars was that such victory was impossible. Felisin never learned if her sister had succeeded where Kenussen D'Avore - reputedly a military genius - had failed.
<br style="text-shadow: none;">

This post has been edited by Rhaeldric: 15 March 2011 - 01:57 AM

"I shall call him Tufty."

#117 User is offline   TheWatch 

• Recruit

Posted 15 March 2011 - 08:51 PM

This thread made me join up.

A series filled with powerful moments from great characters, and the immeasurable weight of their actions, be they honourable or horrific, is what grabs us all. We've all prob caught ourselves not breathing through intense paragraphs, or re-reading a passage multiple times on a first read to let it sink in before moving on.

For me one story in the series did this above all others.

The Ribby Snake.

Coltaine was hard. He fought across desert against immeasurable odds as a near legendary commander.

The snake walked to nothing, no hope, no possibility of help. As children. Being preyed on by men and gods every step of the way.

I don't know how no one has mentioned that. Maybe if they had blown something up it would have been noted more...

#118 User is offline   Crix 

• Recruit

Posted 21 March 2011 - 09:30 PM

sad moments? Geez I think the entire saga is riddled with it. I remember being really torn up reading about WJ. It was over so quick I had to actually stop reading and go for a ciggarette, digest, and come back and read but man it was hard. The Fall didnt hit me until that line 'Duiker was the last one they crucified' or something like that. I have lent DG to a friend so I can't quote you.

And damn you SE, for Trull. Out of all the characters, he deserved that the least. My hate for the Errant went up 600% after that, even with Bry's poisoning, which was heart breaking, Trull's was the moment I wanted to cry.

Beak: Yes, Hood coming to get him personally was so goddam heartbreaking. And as for the marines not paying too much heed to his sacrifice, I beg to differ, they knew he saved them, they knew and in their own way they paid their respects and moved on. In war, as soldiers, that is all you can do and the Malazans have such a realistic potrayal of life as war vets, it is, it is ... well SE damn you for writing such great sad and moving scenes!

Also, I'll never forget Cotillion crying. Duiker's words in MOI was equal in impact to Harlo's at the end of tTH, when hes like to his now deceased friend, I forget his name but it was something like 'Here 'friends name' this is my home' or something along those lines [geez, dont kill ya'all but you know the line, its right when he makes it back home and speaks as if his friend from the mine made it back]

Anyways, there are too many great sad scenes for me to prattle on about but thats the ones I can think of of the top of my head,

:rolleyes:

#119 User is offline   BlackMoranthofDoom 

• Fist
  • Interests:gaming, watching movies, listening to metal

Posted 25 April 2011 - 02:38 PM

There are indeed many striking deaths in the series. (not in any order)

1) Coltaine since he wen through much trouble to get the refugees to safety only to die at the hands of Pormquall's army due to their stupidity

2) Trull since his death felt so pointless and I really wanted him to get back with Fear and form a partnership.

3) Murilio for the simple fact that now his circle of friends is incomplete. To me Murilio, Kruppe, Rallick, Crockus and Coll are the greatest group in the series as i bonded with them the most

and many more but these are some from the top of my head

#120 User is offline   POOPOO MCBUMFACE 

• High Fist

Posted 25 April 2011 - 03:22 PM

Other than those mentioned repeatedly:

One by one, around the moon, gardens died.

Not to sound too worthy, but I grew up with this series. Crokus and Apsalar's struggle wasn't the most tragic arc at all, but it might be the one I could really relate to, and - to me, at least - its themes mark one of the series' most important keystones. That turning point, where it seemed all might be lost, was... heartbreaking.

Share this topic:

• 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users