• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Saddest Scene What's the saddest scene to you in the series? Rate Topic: -----

#121 User is offline   Kim Bookreader 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 27 April 2011 - 12:32 PM

For me it was also Murillio's death and his friends reaction to it. It's the only that made me cry sofar. Very sad.

#122 User is offline   geniusloci 

• Recruit

Posted 09 July 2011 - 08:43 AM

Ulrik, on 21 October 2009 - 11:07 AM, said:

that bear-like soletaken took by Azath
I remember readin that it was last of its kind... so sad and so reminding of the whole species vanishing from the planet now. I only felt so sad when I read how there are no more wale songs in Hyperion books.

As for the books in question - there are so many examples... Murillio's death, I just.. couldn't stand it. Also Mallet died like in some accident, and he was major character. And Beak, and so many others..

#123 User is offline   Sammehmander Rake 

• Knight of High House Dark
  • Interests:Internets?

Posted 09 July 2011 - 01:23 PM

Mael, on 19 October 2009 - 01:27 AM, said:

Trull

^^^ this, I was so shocked when it happened. and the way it happened. at the time it happened. pure tragedy.
"There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for ever should we fail- should we fall- we will know that we have lived."
— Anomander Rake

#124 User is offline   flat_lander 

• Recruit

Posted 29 July 2011 - 12:09 AM

Maybe not THE saddest,

but Toc rupturing his friendship with Tool really saddened. Toc shooting Tools own arrows into him was absolutely brutal. It just screamed injustice since they were both obviously being used.

#125 User is offline   Kanese S's 

• TMI Frigate Bird of Low House PEN
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 29 July 2011 - 02:38 AM

Trull. Some of the things at the end of TCG, especially at the Spire. Murillio's death, of course. Anomander Rake's death. The Fall, Tavore's whole character arc through the series. Also the end of RotCG for me, strangely.

I can't pick just one.

Also... the scene after the battle at Coral.

This post has been edited by Kanese S's: 29 July 2011 - 02:39 AM

Laseen did nothing wrong.

I demand Telorast & Curdle plushies.

#126 User is offline   whiskeydut 

• Sapper

Posted 14 December 2011 - 12:51 AM

Sorry, on 15 October 2009 - 02:19 AM, said:

I'm going through a bit of a sad state the past couple days, so in the spirit of my teary thoughts, what is everyone's saddest moment in this series?
For me, it had to be when Apsalar broke down in Cotillion's arms after learning (so she thinks) that Crokus was dead. The moment where Erikson describes the rocks piling up just about killed me.

Beak, no question. Just something about the innocent, simple minded Beak giving his life to save 'his friends'. He had such a horrible childhood only to turn out so angelic. I cried a little when he died, and not afraid to admit it.

#127 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 29 December 2011 - 09:55 AM

Sorry, on 15 October 2009 - 02:19 AM, said:

I'm going through a bit of a sad state the past couple days, so in the spirit of my teary thoughts, what is everyone's saddest moment in this series?
For me, it had to be when Apsalar broke down in Cotillion's arms after learning (so she thinks) that Crokus was dead. The moment where Erikson describes the rocks piling up just about killed me.

I don't remember that part...When the hell did that happen?
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#128 User is offline   HiddenOne 

• Mortal Sword
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 30 December 2011 - 10:37 PM

whiskeyjackfanboy, on 03 November 2009 - 03:56 AM, said:

For me, first off, Itkovian was a pariah, so it was not really very sad. WhiskeyJack and Coltaine were very sad, but expected. Trull and Toc's deaths were extremely sad. The one that really got me, and I mean really got me, was Beak. I have not cried due to a book in years.

I'm afraid that you misunderstand, sir. If the death of Itkovian didn't affect you very much, then there must be coal in place of your heart.

Also, this thread makes me want to start another re-read. So many moments of glory and anguish, and so forth.

Have rep, SE. Magic & intangible rep from the land of the Interwebz
HiddenOne. You son of a bitch. You slimy, skulking, low-posting scumbag. You knew it would come to this. Roundabout, maybe. Tortuous, certainly. But here we are, you and me again. I started the train on you so many many hours ago, and now I'm going to finish it. Die HO. Die. This is for last time, and this is for this game too. This is for all the people who died to your backstabbing, treacherous, "I sure don't know what's going on around here" filthy lying, deceitful ways. You son of a bitch. Whatever happens, this is justice. For me, this is justice. Vote HiddenOne Finally, I am at peace.

#129 User is offline   Sindriss 

• Walker of Edges

Posted 31 December 2011 - 10:46 AM

foolio, on 19 February 2010 - 04:30 PM, said:

Since that one is taken, I will instead bring up another moment in MoI. Unfortunately, I do not have my book with me so I will not do the passage justice, but perhaps I can do well enough to remind everyone of the scene. Toc is imprisoned by the Seer, and in the clutches of the Matron. He is given some time to stand on the ramparts of Coral (?) while being watched by a Seerdomin, who I believe becomes the Seerdomin from TtH. Seerdomin explains the story of his father's depature to Toc. How he had sailed into harbour, only to see his family overcome by madness, and had simply turned around and sailed out. Seerdomin mentioned how proud he had been of his father for that. Tragic already, but the conversation continues. As it comes time for Toc to return to the grasp of the Matron, Seerdomin offers to carry him in:

Horrible paraphrase!
Toc: Thank you. I weigh almost nothing now so I shall not be a great burden to you.
Seerdomin: That is not true.

I agree. Great one , I think Seerdomin says something like "I did not say that Malazan, I did not say that..."

Powerful.

Actually, I've always been wondering what exactly this scene is meant to convey to the readers. Could anybody explain it to me?

I would like to know if Steve have ever tasted anything like the quorl white milk, that knocked the bb's out.

A: Nope, but I gots me a good imagination.

#130 User is offline   Phaedrus 

• Recruit

Posted 12 May 2012 - 11:18 PM

When I found out the Bonehunters and Letherii were obliterated.

:doh:

#131 User is offline   Toc Anaster 

• Recruit
  • View gallery
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 14 May 2012 - 04:36 AM

In TtH. When (young) Harllo cradles Bainisk as he dies in Harllo's arms telling him all about the "perfect" city of Darujhistan and how every child gets a perfect family. A father and a mother who love and appreciate him. A world without pain. I had to stop reading on the subway because people were looking at me weird for visibly crying at rush hour on a weekday.
"Avoid Risks. Take no chances. Dream of nothing, want less."

#132 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 14 May 2012 - 05:43 AM

Sindriss, on 31 December 2011 - 10:46 AM, said:

foolio, on 19 February 2010 - 04:30 PM, said:

Since that one is taken, I will instead bring up another moment in MoI. Unfortunately, I do not have my book with me so I will not do the passage justice, but perhaps I can do well enough to remind everyone of the scene. Toc is imprisoned by the Seer, and in the clutches of the Matron. He is given some time to stand on the ramparts of Coral (?) while being watched by a Seerdomin, who I believe becomes the Seerdomin from TtH. Seerdomin explains the story of his father's depature to Toc. How he had sailed into harbour, only to see his family overcome by madness, and had simply turned around and sailed out. Seerdomin mentioned how proud he had been of his father for that. Tragic already, but the conversation continues. As it comes time for Toc to return to the grasp of the Matron, Seerdomin offers to carry him in:

Horrible paraphrase!
Toc: Thank you. I weigh almost nothing now so I shall not be a great burden to you.
Seerdomin: That is not true.

I agree. Great one , I think Seerdomin says something like "I did not say that Malazan, I did not say that..."

Powerful.

Actually, I've always been wondering what exactly this scene is meant to convey to the readers. Could anybody explain it to me?

it's a moment of small compassion, imo. when seerdomin tells toc, "your weight is as nothing," i'm sure he means it quite literally. but Toc, can't help but jibe him with, "Easily borne, you mean." What Toc is saying is two-fold. one, that yes, Toc has become light from starvation, but also two, that seerdomin need suffer no anguish or moral dilemma over toc's fate. Seerdomin replies by denying toc's assertion that he isn't burdened by sorrow and that, yes, he does in fact suffer with toc.

might be that other people read it differently, but that's my take on it. anyone else?

This post has been edited by Sinisdar Toste: 14 May 2012 - 05:45 AM

There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#133 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 14 May 2012 - 05:59 AM

Indeed.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#134 User is offline   Fist Gamet 

• Mortal Sword
  • Interests:Writing, reading, writing, climbing, writing, scuba diving and writing (not at the same time)

Posted 23 June 2012 - 01:56 AM

Having just finished my re-read of DoD, the hairs on my arms are still tingling. "ALL HAIL THE MARINES" breaks my heart, real lump-in-throat stuff. Saddest moments, yes, I found myself hoping that somehow, this time round, Cafal would rescue Hetan before she is hobbled. In DoD, perhaps the saddest moment for me is when Tool tracks down the Senan Barghast...

In the whole series, Itkovian's embrace gets me every time
Victory is mine!

#135 User is offline   Spidermule 

• Recruit

Posted 30 June 2012 - 01:03 PM

Itkovian's Burial
Nefarious Bredd is a Mule!

#136 User is offline   Clanless Warrior 

• Recruit
  • Interests:Ask and find out

Posted 09 September 2012 - 12:48 PM

Beak, Itkovian, Onos Toolan, Harllo and Bainisk, Icarium and Mappo, Trull Sengar, Also Dassem Ultor, especially right before his fight in TtH. This series has constantly pushed me to seriously contemplate what it means to exist and what it means to live. There have been many tear-jerking moments; I just wish I could remember them all...I have to re-read these books!

#137 User is offline   Grimjazz 

• Old Guard
  • View gallery

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:57 PM

Trull easily. I had to stop reading the book for a while after that until I could move on. Powerful shit.
'I am going to beat a god senseless.'

#138 User is offline   Grimjazz 

• Old Guard
  • View gallery

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:04 PM

Also there was a bit in DoD when Bottle is burried beneath Nah'ruk and says, "Grandma, you always said don't reach too far. Close your dead eyes now, and remeber, I love you." I wont lie that bit got to me it made me love Bottle even more as if that was even possible.
'I am going to beat a god senseless.'

#139 User is offline   Cisite 

• Recruit

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:14 AM

This part hit me quite hard:

"I weep, Monok Ochem, because he cannot."

And this part in TCG where Brys is reflecting on being brought back from the brink by Mael.

"Old man, we owe you so much. Why are we Beddicts so important to you? But.. it wasn't me you did this for, was it? It was for Tehol. Your chosen mortal the one you would have wanted as your own son."

This post has been edited by Cisite: 13 February 2013 - 06:18 PM

#140 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 21 March 2015 - 01:03 PM

The one-line moments that stick out (some already mentioned):

"First in, last out.... for the last time." - MOI

"I don't want to die!" - Kettle, when Udinaas is talking about the entire party being afflicted of death wishes. His reaction, too. (RG)

"The woman who had been Hetan had died long ago." - the description of the death of Hetan's "body" (DoD)

"And for a moment, weep for the fate of a child" - Kruppe's narration, talking about the sun watching Harllo (TtH)

In general though... all of Hetan's DoD scene. Once I get over the revulsion it's profoundly sad - particularly Cafal's death so close to her. The Fall is a mixture of sad and rage for me, so I'm not sure if I would count that. Toc's death as Tool arrives is up there.

In fact, it's not just Toc's death, it's everything with Toc - particularly when he has to turn Tool away. Conversely, the first time I read TCG I cried so many happy tears for him at the end.

Fiddler's song in Malaz City (and also him saying farewell to Kalam on the ship).

"HAIL THE MARINES" is just phenomenally moving, if not strictly "sad".

On a more general note, I think everything surrounding Rhulad fills me with a profound sadness. The way Tribnan Gnol, Karos Invictad and the rest of the Letherii in the Court keep everyone away from him and coldly encourage his madness and paranoia. Rhulad's not likeable, but something about that cold cruelty just touches.

Oh, and Beak. You only have to say "there are no more candles" to me and I'll ball away on the spot like a baby. What a profoundly beautiful and heartbreaking story arc. I usually manage right up until Hood meets him and then lose it completely.
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

Share this topic:

• 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users