• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Kruppe

#21 User is offline   Deep Squat 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 14 February 2010 - 12:44 AM

View Postrhulad, on 09 February 2010 - 04:50 PM, said:

At the beginning of the book I was of the opinion that Kruppe was quite possibly the most annoying character ever written. By the end of Gardens of the Moon, I had ceased that line of thought. Still think I like Pust more then Kruppe though.

Ha im glad someone else found this too, i found the first couple of scenes so annoying with the confusing dream stuff and talking in third person i was tearing my eyes out. By the end I loved him. Never had that much of a turn around in any other book I've read, he just very slowly grew on me.

#22 User is offline   Osserc - Lord of the Sky 

• Champion of High House Light
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen, dammit!

Posted 12 April 2010 - 10:47 PM

I'm on Kruppe's side all the way, (sorry, Pust fans).

That doesn't mean that I DON'T like Pust, it's just I find Kruppe...how should I put this... more amusing to read about.
"The red ink had been watered down. He painted wash on the map, covering areas now held by the Malazan Empire. Fully one half of the map...the north half...was red. Baruk jumped, his right forearm jerking out and knocking over the inkwell. The red ink poured across his map. Cursing, Baruk sat back. His eyes widened as he watched the spreading stain over Darujhistan and continue south to Catlin..."

#23 User is offline   Benn Greenbow 

• The Arrow
  • Interests:writing, books, history, science, the oudoors, sports, documentaries, fun, women
  • What about the coin bearer?

Posted 12 April 2010 - 10:57 PM

I liked Kruppe right off the bat. He was a different kind of character. Who knew that he would be the Eel?(or not). I'm on DG now, so I can't wait to to discover this Pust, he sounds interesting. By the way, DG is awsome so far, I can't wait to read more. I'm really glad I stuck w GotM.

#24 User is offline   Findarato 

• Lieutenant
  • Interests:wildlife, nature, reading, hiking, keeping mantids

Posted 13 April 2010 - 05:42 AM

Can't say I like Pust more than Kruppe, they are both great characters, and although somewhat different than others in their 'mysterious' way of speaking their thoughts. This is GOTM section, so I do not discuss Pust here, but Kruppe's thoughts are revealed often to the reader only, during his dreams for instance (unlike Pust who talks to the others he is with).
Not sure if this is nonsense or not, just an observation of mine.

#25 User is offline   DarkFox 

• Mage of High House Chaos
  • Interests:Soccer, Badminton, Science, Electronics, and Wilderness survival, as well as fantasy books
  • I'm interested in about anything. and the only people i don't like are inconsiderate or selfish assholes. :)

Posted 19 April 2010 - 11:48 PM

Kruppe is just a plain Genius, gifted with the skill of verbal confusion. My favourite part is that most of what he says actually make sense, it just takes some time to understand, but it makes it that much better when he makes fun of, or outsmarts people
faith is a belief beyond belief, a reason beyond reasoning, the strongest strength, the purest love. it is the single driving force beyond contestation, it starts before understanding and finally, ends on the tomorrow ever coming.

#26 User is offline   Treg 

• Recruit

Posted 20 April 2010 - 12:13 AM

View PostDarkfox, on 19 April 2010 - 11:48 PM, said:

Kruppe is just a plain Genius, gifted with the skill of verbal confusion. My favourite part is that most of what he says actually make sense, it just takes some time to understand, but it makes it that much better when he makes fun of, or outsmarts people

Yep. It doesn't pay to hurry past Kruppe's dialog.

I have hard time figuring what Pust sounds like. At first I was thinking of Mojo-Jojo, but that's probably not quite right. At any rate I dig the fact that he thinks his inner monologue is, in fact, inner.

#27 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 20 April 2010 - 12:36 AM

hahaha Mojo Jojo is a neat idea.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#28 User is offline   Lusipher 

• Talon Captain of Team Quick Ben
  • View gallery
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 27 April 2010 - 01:21 PM

Kruppe was easily one of the more interesting and, at times, frustrating characters in this book. I also enjoyed the way Erikson introduced him, at the opening of the Darujhistan section thereby signifying his importance, but you don't really know how important until later on. I remain curious about exactly what his dream-state is capable of (I'm currently on Deadhouse Gates, so I don't know if it's explored later) and how it works-does he create the "playing field", is he drawn to it by something else or is it a combination of both? How is he able to draw in Tool, Raest and Paran?

#29 User is offline   Eye Flys 

• Corporal

Posted 04 May 2010 - 02:41 PM

Kruppe is fucking badass. I've only read GoTM but goddamn, every time that fat bastards makes an appearance I'm laughing my ass off. By far my favorite part is him walking around the Fête with a cherub mask stuffing his face. Too fucking funny. Especially the whole metaphor of him having his hands in everything/every pastry served. Brilliant.

But my favorite line of his is when he's on his mule, heading back to Darujhistan with Murillio pestering him with questions trying to piece together what Kruppe knows and he responds with "Oh, very well, mutiny in the ranks forces Kruppe's sly hand."

#30 User is offline   Ozymandiac 

• Captain

Posted 04 May 2010 - 03:14 PM

View PostKruppe of Darujhistan, on 06 October 2009 - 11:02 PM, said:

Kruppe LOVES Kruppe! But then, Kruppe must needs confess to being a wee bit biased in the Kruppe department!

A wee bit? So.. Kruppe is Irish?

I'm even more confused :/
"Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away."

#31 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 04 May 2010 - 08:25 PM

He's the smartest man in the world. Of course he's Irish!
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#32 User is offline   hmqb 

• The Abyssmal Army's Official Cult Expert and Brainwasher
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 10 May 2010 - 12:41 AM

I really don't like kruppe for some reason but he seems to be the only person like that i don't like
-

#33 User is offline   Osserc - Lord of the Sky 

• Champion of High House Light
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen, dammit!

Posted 01 June 2010 - 11:35 PM

pust and kruppe are very different. as soon as i read about kruppe coming over the hill into Darujhistan, his feet sore and his robes tattered, complaining in third person; i liked him.

but Iskaral Pust, on the other hand, i just thought he was some insane freak character who would backstab the characters numerous times, and i was right LOL, although i thought he was cool, in the end.

it's a close game, but kruppe's more likeable, i believe. I'm starting memories of ice now, and kruppe's in that too, so i can't wait :o
"The red ink had been watered down. He painted wash on the map, covering areas now held by the Malazan Empire. Fully one half of the map...the north half...was red. Baruk jumped, his right forearm jerking out and knocking over the inkwell. The red ink poured across his map. Cursing, Baruk sat back. His eyes widened as he watched the spreading stain over Darujhistan and continue south to Catlin..."

#34 User is offline   BladeArmedZombieRaptor 

• Shazam!

Posted 07 June 2010 - 07:30 PM

Kruppe's hilarious. Not quite on a Tehol/Bugg level, but still... I always had to read his verbose ramblings twice over. Not because I couldn't understand what he was saying, oh no, but because how he spoke and how little he actually said within those huge blocks of dialogue was just that damn funny.

#35 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 02 August 2010 - 01:42 PM

View PostMTS, on 07 October 2009 - 09:20 AM, said:

Dutch Master of the Deck said:

But talking of Circle Breaker, what was the place that he was guarding? He was thinking of some evil that never should awake again. That left me puzzled since the tyrant is buried somewhere else

He was guarding Despot's Barbican. But this is probably not the best place to discuss this, as we sort of know where he's buried thanks to TTH.

explain this for me, i have read the series, put it in a spoiler :p
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#36 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 02 August 2010 - 01:46 PM

to me kruppe will be pivotal in later books, if not the rest of this series then definately in the darujhistan novel that ICE will bring out. Kruppe sees all, knows all and is one of my favourites!!

#37 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 03 August 2010 - 01:42 AM

View PostTattersail, on 02 August 2010 - 01:42 PM, said:

But talking of Circle Breaker, what was the place that he was guarding? He was thinking of some evil that never should awake again. That left me puzzled since the tyrant is buried somewhere else

He was guarding Despot's Barbican. But this is probably not the best place to discuss this, as we sort of know where he's buried thanks to TTH.

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Sinisdar Toste: 03 August 2010 - 01:43 AM

There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#38 User is offline   GingerBreadMan 

• High Fist

Posted 03 August 2010 - 05:28 AM

Kruppe is fun, very intriguing.

He seems to be a prophet of some sort, perhaps because dreams don't follow a linear timeline in the series?

Spoiler

This post has been edited by GingerBreadMan: 04 August 2010 - 06:46 AM

#39 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 03 August 2010 - 08:14 AM

View PostSinisdar Toste, on 03 August 2010 - 01:42 AM, said:

Spoiler

so you think the tyrant sleeps? or is trapped? do you have an idea who the tyrant is?

#40 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 03 August 2010 - 02:17 PM

View PostTattersail, on 03 August 2010 - 08:14 AM, said:

View PostSinisdar Toste, on 03 August 2010 - 01:42 AM, said:

Spoiler

so you think the tyrant sleeps? or is trapped? do you have an idea who the tyrant is?

many theories, many ideas, none of them really needing to be brought up here. the tyrants has several threads dedicated to his identity
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users