• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Upgrade Issues or Questions Let's get them all in one place

#1 User is offline   alt146 

• Here comes the Strongbad!
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 05 September 2009 - 09:56 PM

The new board is very cool and shiny - thanks for the hard work everyone involved.

Unfortunately as with any big change there are bound to be a couple of bugs and niggles, the one that I have is that on the 'view new content' page there is no little icon to go to last read post. The icon is still available in the rest of the forum, it just seems to be missing on that page. Is there are a setting somewhere I can change to get it there, or will the admins have to change something?

Also, when I tried to edit my sig I was told

[#10211] You may only use up to urls in your signature.
You may only use up to lines of text in your signature.

This post has been edited by alt146: 05 September 2009 - 10:09 PM

[url="http://www.alt146.zzl.org"]MafiaManager[/url]: My Mafia Modding tool - Now at v0.3b

With great power comes a great integral of energy over time.

#2 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 05 September 2009 - 11:20 PM

Good idea alt. I'm going to be making a crash-course in IPB3.0 as soon as I get home, to resolve all the main stuff.

I believe you will find the 'go to last unread post' button to be off to one side:

Attached File  lastread.jpg (134.84K)
Number of downloads: 0

However it may take your computer a while to figure out where you have read up to, due to the changeover.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#3 User is offline   Sixty 

• Don't be fooled. I am very serious.

Posted 05 September 2009 - 11:21 PM

1.) Old quotes don't display properly. Instead of showing a quote box, it only shows the text and makes it unclear what is and isn't part of the quote. However, quotes posted after the upgrade work fine.

2.) The little images under the avatar/title that varies based on user group give 404 errors (probably assigned to a different directory by default in IPBv3).

3.) All 3 forum skins have awkwardly large text compared to the other skins in the old version (Simple Blue and SFW were the only 2 I ever used, and both had text 1 size smaller than all 3 current skins). This can be remedied by zooming in/out in my browser, but that causes other fields to distort, making text entry fields too small.
(In other words, can we get some new skins? If it's relatively easy to code IPB skins (about as complex as, say, MyBB) then I could probably make a quick revision to better suit this exact text-size issue).

4.) Because SH and Game Dev are password protected, they're always displayed as having unread posts--this makes it impossible to tell whether there are unread posts in the Games or Mafia forums.

Otherwise it looks good. :p

edit: BTW the read last post button is the same as usual on the IP.Board skin.

This post has been edited by Sixty: 05 September 2009 - 11:32 PM

#4 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 05 September 2009 - 11:32 PM

View PostSixty, on 05 September 2009 - 11:21 PM, said:

1.) Old quotes don't display properly. Instead of showing a quote box, it only shows the text and makes it unclear what is and isn't part of the quote. However, quotes posted after the upgrade work fine.

2.) The little images under the avatar/title that varies based on user group give 404 errors (probably assigned to a different directory by default in IPBv3).

3.) All 3 forum skins have awkwardly large text compared to the other skins in the old version (Simple Blue and SFW were the only 2 I ever used, and both had text 1 size smaller than all 3 current skins). This can be remedied by zooming in/out in my browser, but that causes other fields to distort, making text entry fields too small.
(In other words, can we get some new skins? If it's relatively easy to code IPB skins (about as complex as, say, MyBB) then I could probably make a quick revision to better suit this exact text-size issue).

Otherwise it looks good. :p

edit: BTW the read last post button is the same as usual on the IP.Board skin.

1. Yes, it's the same issue we had with spoiler tags after changing from VB to IPB. Over time mods will undoubtably go through and simply click 'edit' and then 'complete edit' and they will be made properly again. If not, it's going to be a long and tedious journey for us to figure what is and what isn't a quote.

2. Already working on it. Yes, they are stored in a different location in this version of IPB, so I need to get into the ftp and change their location. Simple enough, once I have a solid internet connection to do it with. :p

3. Pedantic, but fair enough. http://forum.malazan...tyle_emoticons/Malazan/tongue.gif
I'm not sure what we can do other than buy some skins, (then again I don't actually see why this would be an issue - the text already looks tiny enough to me! XD). If you want to create a skin, be my guest. It can be quite complicated, though, so you'll have to make it robust if you want it.

Edit to account for your edit:
No idea what can be done about this. It's a byproduct of the IPB system, so there's nothing we can do except changing the icon used, that would have to wait for a separate skin as well.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#5 User is offline   flea 

• High Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 05 September 2009 - 11:43 PM

So one can go to the last post, but how about the first unread post?

As usual I'm sure it's there but I'm somehow missing it.

#6 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 05 September 2009 - 11:50 PM

Oh, that. Right. Click on the thread name. Should get you there. :p

Shinrei said:

#7 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:WWQBD?
  • WoT Fangirl, Rank Traitor

Posted 06 September 2009 - 02:04 AM

Love the new fast reply.

Is there any way to hide the gallery? It seems huge and cumbersome to me, and since it's at the top, it might give the impression to the random browser that it's a picture site rather than a message board.

Also, the 'announcement' and 'pinned' things, which aren't images and therefore aren't adblockable, seem unusually large. Only a small annoyance, but there it is.

Also, it might be wise to change the color for the 'Malaz Regular' user group. It's nearly impossible to read against the default skin.

This post has been edited by Terez: 06 September 2009 - 02:08 AM

The President (2012) said:

Please proceed, Governor.

Chris Christie (2016) said:

There it is.

Elizabeth Warren (2020) said:

And no, I’m not talking about Donald Trump. I’m talking about Mayor Bloomberg.

#8 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 06 September 2009 - 07:39 AM

View PostTerez, on 06 September 2009 - 02:04 AM, said:

Love the new fast reply.

Is there any way to hide the gallery? It seems huge and cumbersome to me, and since it's at the top, it might give the impression to the random browser that it's a picture site rather than a message board.

Also, the 'announcement' and 'pinned' things, which aren't images and therefore aren't adblockable, seem unusually large. Only a small annoyance, but there it is.

Also, it might be wise to change the color for the 'Malaz Regular' user group. It's nearly impossible to read against the default skin.

Which announcement and pinned things? Those are important, they're supposed to be large. XD

Yes, the group colours are getting on overhaul, believe me. Half of the new groups weren't done properly, so they changed colour when someone puts their mouse on them, but don't change colour back when the mouse is shifted off. So that's my main job for the day.

The image gallery shouldn't be an issue. It only appears on the main page, after all - it's not found anywhere else. How much time do you even spend on the front page? I just go straight to the "view new content". And I doubt anyone could confuse the site with an image gallery. That being said, I'm sure we can turn it off.

Shinrei said:

#9 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 06 September 2009 - 07:54 AM

View PostSilencer, on 06 September 2009 - 07:39 AM, said:

Which announcement and pinned things? Those are important, they're supposed to be large. XD

Yes, but I think they were quite large enough before! lol...but I think everything is bigger in this new version, as was said before. It's just...strange.

[quote name='Silencer]The image gallery shouldn't be an issue. It only appears on the main page' date=' after all - it's not found anywhere else. How much time do you even spend on the front page? I just go straight to the "view new content". And I doubt anyone could confuse the site with an image gallery. That being said, I'm sure we can turn it off.[/quote']

Please, please do! I will love you forever...I usually don't do the 'view new content' thing because I like to browse by forum, rather than having all the new content in together.

Edit: why don't normal quote tags work? I tried it with the single quotes, too, as that's what the automatic quoting uses, and with double quotes as that's what some forums use (phpbb), but it still doesn't work.

There it is.

#10 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 06 September 2009 - 07:58 AM

You mean like

this?

or

this?

They both work for me...

Shinrei said:

#11 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 06 September 2009 - 08:15 AM

Can you do it with a name? Because you can clearly see in my previous post that it did not work. It worked on the old version...

There it is.

#12 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 06 September 2009 - 08:36 AM

Silencer said:

Like so.

Put quote name='name' and the square brackets around all of it. :p

Shinrei said:

#13 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 06 September 2009 - 08:39 AM

View PostSilencer, on 06 September 2009 - 08:36 AM, said:

Silencer said:

Like so.

Put quote name='name' and the square brackets around all of it. :p

Thank you. :p It's a bit more complicated than most forum code, but I suppose I'll get used to it...

Testing...

Silencer said:

I am a dork really helpful guy.

This post has been edited by Terez: 06 September 2009 - 08:40 AM

There it is.

#14 User is offline   Hetan 

• Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • View gallery
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 06 September 2009 - 09:48 AM

Actually - regarding the gallery images at the top - I'm not sure that I want these turned off.
It is under discussion and the decision will be posted in due course.
"He was not a modest man. Contemplating suicide, he summoned a dragon". (Gothos' Folly)- Gothos

#15 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 06 September 2009 - 10:34 AM

Yeah, I quite like it myself. It showcases our artists' great talents too.

Could there be like different images appearing every time you come back to the portal page? That would be pretty cool, and add variety to the images you see.

Just a suggestion though. You guys have done magnificent work so far.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#16 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 06 September 2009 - 10:57 AM

Hey, it tells me how many overall posts I had, including the Phoenix Inn, and where I've been most active! That's awesome.

I wonder how many posts the Mafia alts have racked up...

Anyway, what I wanted to ask was: has the search function improved? You still need a 4 character minimum to search, but I was wondering if the functionality has improved in some other way.

This post has been edited by Mappo's Travelling Sack: 06 September 2009 - 11:27 AM

Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#17 User is offline   alt146 

• Here comes the Strongbad!

Posted 06 September 2009 - 11:55 AM

Is there some way to have the quick login function on the front page back? It's not a huge issue if not, but it is convenient.
[url="http://www.alt146.zzl.org"]MafiaManager[/url]: My Mafia Modding tool - Now at v0.3b

With great power comes a great integral of energy over time.

#18 User is offline   Wry 

• High Fist

Posted 06 September 2009 - 12:24 PM

It tells me i've reached my quota for positive votes today, but i havn't been positive in months!!

i am enjoying clicking all the new buttons though
“Arm yourself, Watson, there is an evil hand afoot ahead"

#19 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 06 September 2009 - 04:23 PM

I'm guessing they've not turned rep on or something like that.

#20 User is offline   Hetan 

• Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • View gallery

Posted 06 September 2009 - 06:33 PM

I'll take a look at that Apt, I thought it had been, but in all the excitement it may have been missed.
"He was not a modest man. Contemplating suicide, he summoned a dragon". (Gothos' Folly)- Gothos

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users