Malazan Empire: Who the hell is Ruthan Gudd? - Malazan Empire

• 12 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Who the hell is Ruthan Gudd? For those who have finished DoD only Rate Topic: -----

#201 User is offline   wolf of winter 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 06 August 2011 - 06:04 PM

I like the idea that ruthan gudd is a reluctant ascendant which occurred through no scheming or plotting of his own, I don't get the idea that he is grizzin farl, as to me all the elder gods we've encountered thus far are packing serious powers and if they are like the errant or nightchill and depowered then they're either borderline suicidal or overly fond of dramatic monologues recounting the good old days when they were the big dog.

If i had to sum up his character in this book I would say the word that springs to mind is bewildered, I have this sense of him being a wide eyed newborn in the world also mixed with older hidden knowledge and mystery and for me the two don't mesh, especially when put with the final fatalistic stand of ruthan gudd. I get the feeling theres some kind of posession occurring, it was mentioned earlier similarities to apsalar in the lingering memories of the posessor and he or she's powers/expeiences, not so much powers because lets face it, if he had any firepower surely he wouldnt have been so flabbergasted with the storm rider gear.

Just my humble opinion and perception of the character, who knows maybe I'll reread and come back and flame myself :)

#202 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Writing. Martial arts. Sport. Music, playing and singing, composition.

Posted 10 August 2011 - 11:44 AM

Maybe he's the Elder god of amnesia
It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about nowadays saying things against one, behind one's back, that are absolutely and entirely true.
-- Oscar Wilde

#203 User is offline   The Pack 

• Recruit
  • Interests:Basketball
    Ultimate (frisbee)
    Being utterly oblivious to subtle writing techniques

Posted 04 October 2011 - 10:00 PM

edited for stupid idea

This post has been edited by The Pack: 05 October 2011 - 08:28 AM

I'm going to be reading these books for the rest of my life trying to catch every little secret and plot detail...and i'm ok with that :D

#204 User is offline   RudeBear 

• Recruit

Posted 01 January 2012 - 06:46 PM

I believe he is Grizzin Farl who has been missing for a long time( apparently trapped in an Azath House on the lost continent of Jacurku) He been travelling around for a while keeping his head down and where he met his good friend Greymane. He is an Elder God since he knew Draconus before he was imprisoned in Dragnipur and would bold enough to stand up and fight him if they came face to face.

#205 User is offline   Ben Delat 

• Sergeant

Posted 09 January 2012 - 07:42 PM

Which part is the Grizzin Farl info? I forget it completely for some reason.

As for Ruthan I still think he is not as elder as the elder gods and elemental elders but at this point is at or past ascension. Even though he says his long long life is due strictly to magic(and probably alchemy) I think at the point in the end of this series he is borderline ascended if not already.

#206 User is offline   Abey1245 

• Corporal

Posted 19 March 2012 - 12:06 AM

I think he may also be Grizzin Farl. Ruthan Gudd is in a "new body" (keeps combing at his beard to remind himself of his new face) since he crawled out from an Azath in Jakuruku... seems to fit anyway. I hope to see more of him and find out what the heck he really is and how he "borrowed" the storm-riders magic.

#207 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 19 March 2012 - 01:10 PM

Unlikely hes Grizzin Farl as he is fundamentally weakened by Otateral and thus a product of newer magic systems. If he was an EG then otateral wouldnt affect him.

#208 User is offline   Abey1245 

• Corporal

Posted 25 March 2012 - 12:06 AM

View PostFriendly Neighbourhood Spider-tiam, on 19 March 2012 - 01:10 PM, said:

Unlikely hes Grizzin Farl as he is fundamentally weakened by Otateral and thus a product of newer magic systems. If he was an EG then otateral wouldnt affect him.

Darn! Good point about the Otataral... I forgot about that. Back to square one, lol!

#209 User is offline   King Lear 

• Une belle quelquesomething sans merci

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:13 AM

Bursting aaaall the bubbles
*Men's Frights Activist*

#210 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:41 PM

View PostKing Lear, on 29 March 2012 - 09:13 AM, said:

Are you lost? These are the book forums you need to scroll down for the Inn.

#211 User is offline   King Lear 

• Une belle quelquesomething sans merci

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:53 AM

View PostFriendly Neighbourhood Spider-tiam, on 29 March 2012 - 06:41 PM, said:

View PostKing Lear, on 29 March 2012 - 09:13 AM, said:

Are you lost? These are the book forums you need to scroll down for the Inn.

Being unkind to the newbies again tiam? I'm sure you've been warned about this.

Besides, I read the book forums all the time. Also, I may have consumed a quantity of wine.
*Men's Frights Activist*

#212 User is offline   Abey1245 

• Corporal

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:02 PM

But why is it that even T'Lan Imass call him "Elder"? What or who could be more elder AND still be affected by Otataral? My understanding was that children of the "warren" type of magic are countered with otataral... so confused, lol!!

#213 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:14 PM

Yes indeed it is odd. However its possible he was a powerful entity once yet sustains himself now with sorcery. Maybe he had always sustained himself with sorcery in fact and he is similar to Shurq Elalle. However as the times have changed so has his core sustenance keeping him alive. He has now changed to the warrens from the Holds as they have now waned and as such he is susceptible to Otateral.

Hell turn up in the Kharkanas trilogy im sure.

#214 User is offline   Abey1245 

• Corporal

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:09 AM

Or maybe it is due to the "new" body he is inhabiting and he is more vulnerable? I hope we do see more of him and learn how he can "borrow" stuff from other species like the stormriders.

#215 User is offline   Abey1245 

• Corporal

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:06 PM

I just finished reading DoD again, I don't recall if this question was asked previously but... who the heck is the "she" he is referring to when he draws his sword to attack the KCN? "She" is answering him with the ice armour and she has "never answered before"... could it be Mother Dark who has just returned? Or Nerruse?? A descendant of Mael kind of makes sense with the stormrider garb and all.

#216 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:11 PM

Good questions!
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#217 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:23 AM

Cant remember exactly but yeh could be Nerruse, MD, Grizzin Farl, Kily,Grizzin Farl, Mowri, Grizzin Farl or really any other entity. Hopefully it will be answered in the FOD trilogy

#218 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:18 PM

View PostJean-Claude Van tiam, on 24 April 2012 - 10:23 AM, said:

Cant remember exactly but yeh could be Nerruse, MD, Grizzin Farl, Kily,Grizzin Farl, Mowri, Grizzin Farl or really any other entity, including Grizzin Farl. Hopefully it will be answered in the FOD trilogy

forgot one, FTFY.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#219 User is offline   Abey1245 

• Corporal

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:01 PM

Nerruse is starting to make more and more sense to me, in TCG as I am re-reading it, more and more hints jump out that seem to point to an intimate knowledge of the seas:

- he knows what the deepest depths of the ocean look like (upon seeing the ancient fish fossil in the desert)
- the T'lan Imass Nom Kala told him that he smells like "ice"

#220 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant

Posted 06 May 2012 - 07:50 PM

I dont think so. Nerruse is a child of Mael so may not predate the Imass as Ruthan Gudd seems to do. He smells like ice because of the storm rider armour which seems to simply a tactic Ruthan Gudd fancied using rather than any affiliation with the SR. As for the fossils he could simply remember a time when those creatures were much more numerous before the sea receded. The creature he recognised could have been a staple food source millenia ago and thus Ruthan Gudd recognises the bones.

Share this topic:

• 12 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users