Malazan Empire: UK Destination Advice - Malazan Empire

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

UK Destination Advice Planning a week in the UK in November

Poll: UK Destination Advice (23 member(s) have cast votes)

Where should Epiph go in November?

1. The Lake District (10 votes [43.48%])

Percentage of vote: 43.48%

2. Scotland, near Galloway Forest (7 votes [30.43%])

Percentage of vote: 30.43%

3. Laugharne, South Wales (6 votes [26.09%])

Percentage of vote: 26.09%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   Epiph 

• High Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 17 August 2009 - 09:27 PM

My sister is studying abroad in Angers, France this fall and I'm planning to go see her for Thanksgiving (gotta leverage those work holidays) for a week, and then I'm using my mom's timeshare exchange to spend a week in the UK. The only available resorts at this late date are in the Lake District (one between Keswick and Penrith and one in Carnforth north of Lancaster), Carmarthenshire, Wales, in the town were Dylan Thomas wrote Under Milk Wood, and a town in Ayrshire, Scotland.

I know it'll probably be the wettest week of my life regardless of place, and I've almost eliminated Wales. My boyfriend thinks I would love the magical woodsiness of the Lake District, but I have a friend in Glasgow, so Scotland appeals too. What do you think?

Also, should I rent a car or rely on public transportation? Driving on the other side of the road is a bit unnerving.
<--angry purple ball of yarn wielding crochet hooks. How does that fail to designate my sex?

#2 User is offline   Hinter 

• First Sword
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 17 August 2009 - 09:36 PM

You're right, all three will be cold and wet, but that goes for the rest of the UK in November anyway!

I recommend Scotland, but I'm part jock so I'm biased. Also, rent a car - our public transport is expensive, unreliable and I avoid it whenever possible.

#3 User is offline   masan's saddle 

• Emperor

Posted 17 August 2009 - 10:38 PM

Don't go to Scotland unless you have built up a tolerance for deep fried/ oat based food, headbutts and multiple stab wounds.

The Lake District is nice, apart from all the weirdos who use the Lakes for disposing of tourists.

I'm not being biased or anything :thumbsup: but Laugharne is a very pretty spot and at this time of year the surrounding beaches are fabulous. If your into outdoors activities ( climbing, coasteering, hiking etc) the South and North Pembrokeshire coastal area is amazing.

Nah, it's a shame you can't visit all 3 places as they all have their merits. It depends what you're after, though to be fair you don't come across as a knife fighter so stay oota Scotland ! :)
Now all the friends that you knew in school they used to be so cool, now they just bore you.
Just look at em' now, already pullin' the plow. So quick to take to grain, like some old mule.

#4 User is offline   Epiph 

• High Fist

Posted 18 August 2009 - 12:08 AM

I am an outdoorsy sort of person, and I was thinking of bringing my climbing gear. But mostly I'm going to get away and be by myself with some nature and some books, and do some writing. I admit the literary history of the Lake District is a draw.
<--angry purple ball of yarn wielding crochet hooks. How does that fail to designate my sex?

#5 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 18 August 2009 - 01:06 AM

The Lake District is very nice. But bring an umbrella or seven :thumbsup:
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#6 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 18 August 2009 - 06:31 AM

Scotland. There's no need to worry about the wetaher. Just enjoy a nice, rare whisky in a cosy pub
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#7 User is offline   Bhurnae 

• Close to the hedge.........
  • Group: LHTEC
  • Interests:all the usual stereotypical male ones

Posted 18 August 2009 - 08:00 AM

I'm from Glasgow,married to a Welshwoman and live in Hengerland. All 3 have their pluses. Depends what you want to get out of your stay? I would go for the car. Wales if you want stunning scenery,castles(mostly in NWales but with car not a prob) and rain. Lake District if you want stunning scenery,walks /climbs and rain. Ayreshire/Glasgow for stunning coastal views,deep fried heart attacks and rain.

You might want to make a note that it occasionally rains here in November.
Enjoy your stay.

View PostMezla PigDog, on 28 September 2009 - 09:34 PM, said:

I have been entertaining tourists for many years now.... A girls gotta make a living.

#8 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Writing. Martial arts. Sport. Music, playing and singing, composition.

Posted 18 August 2009 - 09:18 AM

Lake District, no question. Walking, boating, spelunking, swimming, glorious countryside, friendly people...what's not to love?
It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about nowadays saying things against one, behind one's back, that are absolutely and entirely true.
-- Oscar Wilde

#9 User is offline   Hinter 

• First Sword

Posted 18 August 2009 - 01:30 PM

Spelunking? Whatever that is I am sure Henry VIII outlawed it along with catholics.

#10 User is offline   Epiph 

• High Fist

Posted 18 August 2009 - 02:18 PM

View Postmasan's saddle, on Aug 17 2009, 05:38 PM, said:

...though to be fair you don't come across as a knife fighter so stay oota Scotland ! :The Force:

What gave me away? "Magical woodiness"?

From what I can tell, Galloway Forest looks just as beautiful as the Lakes. Can anyone give me a direct comparison? My sister's friend in Leeds told me that a) the further north you go in the UK, the more stunning the scenery, but :respect: he's been to the Lake District many times and never gets tired of it. On the other hand, my sister said that she thought the Lakes were pretty, but she wasn't that impressed.

#11 User is offline   Bhurnae 

• Close to the hedge.........
  • Group: LHTEC
  • Interests:all the usual stereotypical male ones

Posted 18 August 2009 - 02:44 PM

from a Google........
We have had many family holidays in Dumfries and Galloway, it is a real find. Much quieter than the Lakes, Dales or (central) Highlands and just as scenic, with a wonderful coast. I recommend the area.
Galloway is in the Lowlands and wont be as dramatic as the Highlands. If I remember right Dumfries is about 35 miles away from Carlisle which is one end of Hadrians Wall (Plenty walks and historic places of interest along there) Carlisle is also virtually a gateway to the Lake District.

View PostMezla PigDog, on 28 September 2009 - 09:34 PM, said:

I have been entertaining tourists for many years now.... A girls gotta make a living.

#12 User is offline   Hinter 

• First Sword

Posted 18 August 2009 - 02:51 PM

View PostEpiph, on Aug 18 2009, 03:18 PM, said:

From what I can tell, Galloway Forest looks just as beautiful as the Lakes. Can anyone give me a direct comparison? My sister's friend in Leeds told me that a) the further north you go in the UK, the more stunning the scenery, but :The Force: he's been to the Lake District many times and never gets tired of it. On the other hand, my sister said that she thought the Lakes were pretty, but she wasn't that impressed.

Both are beautiful but Scotland is the wilder, more rugged scenery and I reckon in comparison the lakes are more "manicured" and a bit chocolate boxy.

#13 User is offline   Cougar 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 18 August 2009 - 03:30 PM

I've been to both the Lakes loads and Ayreshire, the walking is superb. In spring and summer I'd say Scotland would trump it on the scenery, but the lakes are a little more accessible. By November they'll both be pretty cold and almost certainoly very wet, but Scotland could get really rough at that time of year, to the point where it would be difficult to do anything really decent in terms of getting away from civilisation if you got a bad week. You'd be far less likely to come up against that in the lakes.

If you go to the lakes Carnforth will be nearer civilisation but Penrith Keswick would be more fun.
I AM A TWAT

#14 User is offline   Epiph 

• High Fist

Posted 18 August 2009 - 03:59 PM

Thanks, Cougar! That's pretty much exactly what I wanted to know.

#15 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 18 August 2009 - 08:59 PM

And you definitely need to rent a car to get to the best out of the way spots. Public transport doesn't go there, that's why it is out of the way!
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#16 User is offline   Fist Gamet 

• Mortal Sword
  • Interests:Writing, reading, writing, climbing, writing, scuba diving and writing (not at the same time)

Posted 19 August 2009 - 09:39 PM

Ah yes, it must be Scotland. God's country. Wales and England have their moments, to be sure...well, Wales anyway :The Force:, but Scotland is the most beautiful of all the lands of the British Isles (I may, or course, be biased). A word of caution: November really is not the best of time of year, unless you like the cold, the wind and the rain. Apart from that, I highly recommend it.

Oh, and we do not deep-fry everything, just most things. And we don't all carry knives. Some of us have metal bars or baseball bats. There was a true story of some years ago where a man was attacked by a savage dog in Paisley on a Friday night and was saved by two passers-by who beat the dog away with baseball bats. Hailed as heroes in the local media, nobody stopped to consider why two "passers-by" were carrying baseball bats...
Victory is mine!

#17 User is offline   Epiph 

• High Fist

Posted 19 August 2009 - 09:54 PM

Cold? Rain? I'm not sure what those are. We don't have them in Texas. And wind here is usually hot and dusty.

#18 User is offline   masan's saddle 

• Emperor

Posted 19 August 2009 - 10:14 PM

Now, you see if you came to Wales, particularly the South West, you would not have to be cold. Forget the fact that it's actually one of the warmer parts of the country due to the gulfstream, no, it would be the druidic oral and literary traditions that would warm the cockles of your heart, not to mention the breath of slumbering dragons..... :respect:

( Valiant attempt to appeal to Epiph's "magical woodsiness")

Ancient oak woodlands, jurassic coastlines and the oldest spoken language in Europe, also King Arthur used to live here :The Force: , it's true !
Now all the friends that you knew in school they used to be so cool, now they just bore you.
Just look at em' now, already pullin' the plow. So quick to take to grain, like some old mule.

#19 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 19 August 2009 - 10:44 PM

Masan's saddle makes a plethora of excellent points, but fails to notice the flaw in his plan - you would actually have to go to Wales. That's a deal-breaker...
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#20 User is offline   masan's saddle 

• Emperor

Posted 19 August 2009 - 11:13 PM

View Postcaladanbrood, on Aug 19 2009, 11:44 PM, said:

Masan's saddle makes a plethora of excellent points, but fails to notice the flaw in his plan - you would actually have to go to Wales. That's a deal-breaker...

Bwood, for a start you have to be invited, but this is beside the point. Your emo-ness prevents any possibility of you ever entering this bastion of manliness. I'm amazed you made it north of the Watford gap :The Force:

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users