• You cannot reply to this topic

Dust of Dreams book review Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   lorddarkflare 

• Corporal
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 17 July 2009 - 11:20 PM

No Apsalar/Ganoes/Crockus?

I MUST know. I just MUST.

Are you allowed to tell us who is on the DP?

#22 User is offline   pat5150 

• Soletaken

Posted 18 July 2009 - 01:41 AM

Oh, I could tell you anything. But I won't. . . ;)

Patrick
For book reviews, author interviews, giveaways, related articles and news, and much more, check out www.fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com

#23 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 18 July 2009 - 01:50 AM

View Postpat5150, on Jul 17 2009, 09:41 PM, said:

Oh, I could tell you anything. But I won't. . . ;)

Patrick

Someday I wish I could wield the amount of power and influence over people Pat has...

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#24 User is offline   Sindriss 

• Walker of Edges

Posted 18 July 2009 - 06:31 AM

Pat the the ultimate cockblock between us and true enlightment!! ;)

I would like to know if Steve have ever tasted anything like the quorl white milk, that knocked the bb's out.

A: Nope, but I gots me a good imagination.

#25 User is offline   Bauchelain the Evil 

• Greatest necromancer ever
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Not much

Posted 18 July 2009 - 07:42 AM

Man, I shouldn't have read that rewiew. Now I'm salivating just at the thought of what the hell will happen in DoD. Oh well, just a month to go, just a month.
By the way, good job, Pat!
Adept of Team Quick Ben

I greet you as guests and so will not crush the life from you and devour your soul with peals of laughter. No, instead, I will make tea-Gothos

#26 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 18 July 2009 - 09:07 PM

so is anyone elese surprised by the tiams daughter plotline?

Trying to be as vague as possible as spoiler tags arent working

#27 User is offline   Sixty 

• Don't be fooled. I am very serious.
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 19 July 2009 - 10:21 PM

Waiting in eager anticipation. And if Kalam doesn't make a return...

(the ending of BH was too awesome, need more)

#28 User is offline   Karosis 

• Recruit
  • Group: Game alts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 02:03 AM

Kalam was ICE's char, actually.

So, I expect him to make a comeback in an ICE novel
Spoiler

#29 User is offline   Stalker 

• House Knight
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 20 July 2009 - 03:08 AM

Ahhh, it sounds so good. Thanks Pat.

Waiting another 30 days will seem like forever.

#30 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 20 July 2009 - 04:04 AM

Neat review! A perfect balance of revelation and concealment, when it comes to spoilers.

I still think it's a shame that you didn't enjoy Toll the Hounds more, Pat. But if I take your review at face value, this is going to be one hell of a ride! (Isn't all Erikson's stuff? XD)

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#31 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 20 July 2009 - 04:07 AM

View PostD'rek, on Jul 18 2009, 05:39 AM, said:

Anyone else think that maybe
Spoiler

Yes, I also thought this straight away, given we know their relation to the Tiste Andii.

And lol @Tavore - I can see her failing miserably...ST isn't necessarily insane enough to miss what she's planning, although is own plans at this stage could require him to rely more on the honesty of others...but either Tavore's 'betrayal' will turn out better for ST, or she'll actually be playing into his own plan. Just my bet.

(Apologies for the double-post)

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#32 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 20 July 2009 - 09:39 AM

Great review - looks like it's going to be an awesome book, with lots of things EXPLAINED!

Can't wait, so many storylines to resolve.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 20 July 2009 - 09:40 AM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#33 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 20 July 2009 - 09:42 AM

That's the thing...I don't know if I want them to resolve. XD

Gods, when this series is finished, it's going to feel great...but I'll also have this sinking, empty feeling, I can tell. ;)

Then there'll be the ICE books, and the two Trilogies, and I'll feel better again. ^^

Shinrei said:

#34 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 20 July 2009 - 09:52 AM

True... I loved the feeling of increasing complexity reading the earlier books. Some stories have sort of been resolved along the way already though; other characters and stories have emerged or continued at the same time too, however.

I don't want everything to finish, or even necessarily be wrapped up nicely; it's good to get some sort of conclusion to some of the many threads though - the ones that have been running for like, 8 books ;)

ps.. more Jade in the sky?!! Things are going to get messy.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#35 User is offline   pat5150 

• Soletaken

Posted 20 July 2009 - 01:41 PM

View PostSilencer, on Jul 20 2009, 04:07 AM, said:

Spoiler

Yes, I also thought this straight away, given we know their relation to the Tiste Andii.

And lol @Tavore - I can see her failing miserably...ST isn't necessarily insane enough to miss what she's planning, although is own plans at this stage could require him to rely more on the honesty of others...but either Tavore's 'betrayal' will turn out better for ST, or she'll actually be playing into his own plan. Just my bet.

What Tavore is planning is one of the most surprising things we've seen in the series thus far. Shadowthrone will shit himself, let me tell you! ;)

Patrick
For book reviews, author interviews, giveaways, related articles and news, and much more, check out www.fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com

#36 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 20 July 2009 - 02:02 PM

View Postpat5150, on Jul 20 2009, 09:41 AM, said:

View PostSilencer, on Jul 20 2009, 04:07 AM, said:

Spoiler

What Tavore is planning is one of the most surprising things we've seen in the series thus far. Shadowthrone will shit himself, let me tell you! ;)

Patrick

If there's a Tavore-ST scene like when Paran calls up ST before releasing the Deragoth, then I am instantly sold on every word in this book. Even if the CG is defeated by the power of Love, that scene would still make it a 103% for me.

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#37 User is offline   Urizen 

• First Sword

Posted 20 July 2009 - 05:27 PM

Pat: What about humor in the book? The review gives me the impression that it's a serious and fairly dark book. Tehol and Bugg (while not Iskaral Pust funny) are usually good for a few laughs..
" Ah, I despair, or I would if I cared enough. No, instead, I will make some ashcakes. Which I will not share."

#38 User is offline   Agraba 

• Emperor

Posted 20 July 2009 - 07:23 PM

Pat, a couple questions:
Is it finally made clear what Gothos' big icy ritual actually did back then, or is that just something I should have deciphered better in MT and RG?

Also, is there an answer to all the skykeeps spotted in the Imperial Warren in TBH? If I recall correctly (but many of you can correct me if I'm wrong), the K'Chain with all the technology are the short-tails, and are a separate faction from the long-tailed Chemalle with their Matrons.

#39 User is offline   pat5150 

• Soletaken

Posted 20 July 2009 - 07:32 PM

Oh, there's plenty of humor, no worries. . .

RAFO for everything else! ;)

Patrick

#40 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 20 July 2009 - 07:36 PM

View PostAgraba, on Jul 20 2009, 03:23 PM, said:

Pat, a couple questions:
Is it finally made clear what Gothos' big icy ritual actually did back then, or is that just something I should have deciphered better in MT and RG?

Also, is there an answer to all the skykeeps spotted in the Imperial Warren in TBH? If I recall correctly (but many of you can correct me if I'm wrong), the K'Chain with all the technology are the short-tails, and are a separate faction from the long-tailed Chemalle with their Matrons.

I doubt Pat will give ya that, too spoilerific. Either way I think you should've pretty much picked up the general gist of Gothos' ritual - it made loads of ice shelfs across the north of the continent and metaphorically froze the progression of magic across the Edur lands and most of Lether, so the Warrens never caught on there and manifestation of Hood's Death realm never took place so ghosts would tend to linger. Also a lot of animals got stuck in ice.

As for the KCCM, again I'll be surprised if you get an answer on the ones in the IW. As for them in general, there isn't really a distinct seperation of factions between the short- and long-tails. The revived short-tail species revolted against the matrons at Morn and presumably on Jacuruku as well, but they stayed "loyal" on Lether and fought the Tiste with their long-tailed cousins. (DoD prologue)
Spoiler
. Kallor's explanation in MoI makes it pretty clear both sides have magic abilities. (if he's right)

This post has been edited by D'rek: 20 July 2009 - 07:36 PM

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users