Malazan Empire: Worst Steven Erikson Book? - Malazan Empire

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Worst Steven Erikson Book?

#41 Guest_stonerman_*

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 01 July 2005 - 10:07 AM

MOI was definately my least favorite, and I can't pick a favorite, but the chain of dogs, the fete, and tehol beddict were high points

#42 User is online   Gothos 

• Map painting expert
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 04 July 2005 - 03:03 AM

and again... doubters that dislike Karsa. elitists! Posted Image
where are people like you born? lol
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#43 User is offline   McLovin 

• Cutlery Enthusiast
  • Interests:Knives. Stabbing. Stabbing with knives.

Posted 01 July 2005 - 06:01 AM

Welcom to the forum Lanio!

Yeah, people on this forum regularly go back and forth with the love/hate Felisin thing. Personally, I thought that storyline was great and partially therefore I think HoC is the best book of the series.

IMO, GotM is the worst (but that doesn't mean I don't like it, just if I had to pick the worst, that would be it).
OK, I think I got it, but just in case, can you say the whole thing over again? I wasn't really listening.

#44 Guest_Binadas_*

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 04 August 2005 - 06:26 PM

Chiming in with Deadhouse Gates as the best and Memories of Ice as the worst....relative t each other which is saying they are all top nouch quality.

ZZZZZZZZZ-Chief

#45 User is offline   Arithon 

• Recruit

Posted 04 August 2005 - 06:32 PM

I think HoC is probably the weakest. DHG or MoI would be the best, can't really make up my mind which.

#46 User is offline   Brys 

• Fist

Posted 04 August 2005 - 06:44 PM

Gardens of the Moon, because of the number of people it puts off the series. House of Chains would come next worst. Still, they're all of amazing quality, and even GotM is in my top 20 fantasy/science fiction novels. GotM requires a re-read to be fully enjoyable, which is a problem. I don't see how it could be avoided, but nevertheless it can't quite be as good as the others. GotM certainly isn't a bad novel, it just lacks something all the others have - wait, I remember. It lacks the definitive, moving scene of all the others (spoiler: death of Coltaine, death of entire army in DG, Whiskeyjack and Itkovian's death in MoI, Felisin (Sha'ik Reborn)'s death in HoC, Brys' death in MT)

Memories of Ice IMO is by far the best, then Deadhouse Gates.

#47 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 05 August 2005 - 04:33 PM

Re GotM, I do think Raest's fight with the soletaken and Silanah, and the rooftop fight between the assassins, Andii and QB/Kalam, were pretty damn amazing.

The problem, if problem it is, is that if you look at other fantasy lit series, the first novel tends to be intro'ish. Typically, there's a naive viewpoint character as in anything by Brooks or Jordan, or an informed viewpoint character who expositions much of the information to the reader, a la more complex series like Mieville's.

GotM throws you into it. Here is a war, but it's over, really. Some sorceress is whining about all the dead soldiers, a bunch of bug-armoured guys are on their way to massacre a city, and the flying castle just left. And someone named Warren was involved. And just for good measure, here's a squad of grim veterans to do something vague to the half-sorceror lying off to the side. And twenty pages later, what the hell is an Adjunct?

The way i figure it, readers who are relaxed enough to just go with it, or have read enough fantasy to not need everything handed to them, carry on. But a large chunk of readers don't fall into the above categories, so they stop before even the slightest bit of clarity ensues.

It's not a problem, but it is. Imnsho, the best, tho perhaps not thing they could have done was release NIGHT OF KNIVES in a cheap, widespread format that anyone could pick up anywhere. Hell, they should have released it online as free or almost free e-book. Promo it everywhere, WoT boards, Goodkind cults, Brooks fansites, etc, etc. THAT would have brought the fans, with just enough of an intro to keep them around past those complicated 200pgs or so.

- Abyss, could market ICE to eskimos. :D
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#48 User is offline   Rich the Great 

• First Sword

Posted 05 August 2005 - 05:49 PM

I wouldn't say Gotm, but I had read MoI first, so it didn't seem that complicated a read. Would say HoC, but by a minute margin, that being the first part solely dedicated to Karsa and his journey. Didn't reach out and grab at me that much, relatively speaking.

#49 User is offline   Vaddon Ra 

• Fist

Posted 12 May 2011 - 05:20 PM

Eeee worst?

MODGOD NOTICE OF LATER BOOK SPOILERS REMOVED.

Eriksons writing is all excellent. Even when he matures and grows from one archetype to the next it is still incredible.
AGAIN
Or MOI for that matter. I thought that one started fantastically...but then...(gonna get hate for this) I thought the whole grey swords and itkovian...well...I didn't much care to be honest. Wow...I must sound terrible. It's not that I didn't appreciate the morality or sacrifice. I just found bits of it a real soul kill. There was almost too much death at one point for me to feel enthralled at the action. I thought the end of it was pretty good. Although the part with Rake Hiding for so much of the book and then dumping Moon Spawn on Corals head I hated. I get the power behind it. But I love to feel like the players, however distant and elusive, can be seen a little bit more. If only for one or two bone crunching seconds: Note: Cotillion, HOC.
Ah well :D
each to their own eh.
I personally love GOTM DHG HOC (KARSA eeeeeep!!!!) MT BH RG
especially :D

I cant wait to see what Eriksons cooking up next :D but I hope in all things, the sense of compatibility with the bigger players, doesn't utterly get away. I want to know more of Rake, I want more mysteries, I want more debious and grey area actions from him...I want the Bastard and the tragic hero all in one. As well as the huge power and elusive ascendant

Excited now!!! Go go Erikson Go

This post has been edited by Abyss: 16 May 2011 - 02:15 PM

#50 User is offline   King Bear 

• Furry
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 12 May 2011 - 10:21 PM

Hey I see that you're new here, but spoilers for anything after The Bonehunters aren't allowed in this sub-forum. I guess at the time this thread was made TBH was the latest book in the series, but now it's not. Perhaps you could copy then delete your post here and repost it in the general book or TCG sub-forum in a new thread?

#51 User is offline   Lousy 

• Lieutenant

Posted 15 May 2011 - 07:16 AM

I'd have to say my least fave so far was Midnight Tides, but that's only if I had to choose one. Really, the entire series has been outstanding so far. :D

#52 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 15 May 2011 - 07:50 AM

That's some pretty heavy necro power, there.

I've reported the post for spoilers, so if the poster doesn't come back hopefully a mod will edit them out or something.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#53 User is offline   Loki 

• Knight Commander of Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • WWQBDFTW?

Posted 15 May 2011 - 10:02 AM

Reaper's Gale

Wry, on 29 February 2012 - 10:50 AM, said:

And you're not complaining, you're criticizing. It's a side-effect of being better than everyone else, I get it sometimes too.

~TQB~

#54 User is offline   darkraven 

• Recruit

Posted 28 October 2011 - 07:37 AM

well i don't know yet but GOTM was a bit flat at the start but it picked up after the wiskeyjack and his squad get to darujhistan but i have to say Adjunct lorn was the best character in the book,DHG i have to say is the best so far i have read especially where the chain of dog/7th army makes its last stand outside of Aren

#55 User is offline   Toc Beddict 

• Recruit

Posted 10 November 2011 - 02:29 PM

Midnight Tides for me, even though it introduced the Tehol Beddict/Bugg/Ubala grouping, which to date is my favorite part so far. By necessity Erikson had to do alot of exposition with the nature and ways of the Tiste Edur. You get a sense of it from Trull earlier on, but he really expounds on it later. Granted, the last 100 pages of MT is damn near breathtaking. My favorite would probably be MoI, but The Chain of Dogs and Duiker are close to my heart as well.

#56 User is offline   jasec 

• Corporal

Posted 10 November 2011 - 06:30 PM

What is it about Karsa for those of you who said you dislike Karsa you so dislike?

I love that character!!

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users