• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Worst Steven Erikson Book?

#1 User is offline   Danforth 

• Captain
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 01 July 2005 - 06:42 AM

If I had to choose DHG would my least favourite.

#2 Guest_Marneus Augustus Calgar_*

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 02 July 2005 - 03:15 AM

well as to least favourite out of the greatest series ever, that goes to House of Chains. Simply because I dislike Karsa Orlong with a vengence.

#3 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 04 July 2005 - 03:23 AM

The hated west, G. You know, capitalist pigs, the lot of usPosted Image
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#4 User is offline   Folken 

• Never throw your life away so easily

Posted 22 July 2005 - 08:33 PM

Well Gardens is a bit weak. But one must remember that it wasn't entirely Steven Erikson's writting. As ICE explained in his interview, it was written as a movie script by the two of them and then Steven went off and novelized it. For example the scene where Crokus is running on the roof tops and the assasins are having their war, that was a scene described like a movie. Infact most of GotM could be played out like a movie.
<div align='center'>You must always strive to be the best, but you must never believe that you are - Juan Manuel Fangio</div>

#5 Guest_Sean Eric Fagan_*

Posted 01 July 2005 - 02:06 PM

I'm with Green Eyes up there... but I think that MT has the potential to become the one I want to reread the most often.

My current though (about 18 hours after finishing it Posted Image) is that it's focused on far fewer characters than the earlier books. With more attention to Trull Sengar than was given to Felisin earlier. (Which really, really does not bode well for him, does it?)

#6 Guest_Edge_*

Posted 02 July 2005 - 07:56 AM

Worst is probably the wrong word.

Weakest would be HoC, because of the prescence of both Karsa and Felisin. The two least likeable characters in one book.

#7 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 03 July 2005 - 07:43 PM

Drove you? You were there already...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#8 Guest_Sean Eric Fagan_*

Posted 02 July 2005 - 08:00 AM

I don't really need a character to be likable to like a book (although it helps -- can't read Stirling's books because the characters are all outright evil). They do need to be interesting, and, to some degree, sympathetic.

See my earlier comments in the HoC forum about Felisin. The fact that she was (mostly) an unlikable character was part of the tapestry for her tragedy.

#9 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 01 July 2005 - 01:40 PM

I think I prefer GotM actually... My least favourite is probably DG.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#10 Guest_recked_it_*

Posted 02 July 2005 - 01:40 AM

i loved gardens of the moon. i cant say why, but darujhistan, anomander rake, raest, the assasin war on the rooves...yea i loved it.

best to..well, the least best of the best:
1. GotM - MoI
2. DHG
3. MT
4. HoC

i think i loved the bridgeburners so much that any departure from their pov i saw as a hindrance. ie. felisin, i didnt like her story that much. absolutly loved coltaine, the avowed, + gruntle and co in the other books.

#11 Guest_Lanio_*

Posted 01 July 2005 - 05:44 AM

Firstly I want to make this clear. In my opinion even Erikson's worst is ridiculously better than the best of all the fantasy writers around at the moment. so when I say his worst it is obviously compared to his best. My favourite book would definitely be MoI. But my least favourite is HoC with no contest. I can't stand Sha'ik or Felisin. I mean it has it's brilliant parts but i think the whole Sha'ik part pulled it down a notch.

#12 User is offline   vaiski 

• High Fist

Posted 01 July 2005 - 01:03 PM

GotM is the "worst". MoI is mine favourite.

#13 Guest_littlefinger_*

Posted 06 July 2005 - 05:45 AM

MT i think,it went too heavy on the politics and the book didn't have the usual brooding,oppressive atmosphere.Reminded me more of david eddings(with better characters)than silverberg.
MOI did it for me,massive scope to that book and a brillaint siege at capustan.

#14 Guest_johnturing_*

Posted 01 July 2005 - 08:54 AM

I'd say that his worst is GotM - mainly because it is a starting book, but more importantly, it isn't as moving as any of the other books, and it is weaker in most ares, but for me, the main thing is that it doesn't have any extremely memorable ending scenes in the way that all of the others do, and I can't forget those, but I could forget the end of GotM. Still, I think it's excellent, and a long way above most fantasy today.

#15 Guest_Dakkareth_*

Posted 25 July 2005 - 07:49 PM

I must say, I like GotM a lot. It's very easy to get into and is a fantastic exposition, touching on the Malazan world a lot without going into too much detail (just as it is appropriate for a first book in a series). And the scenes between Whiskeyjack's squad, Tattersail and Dujek's Host are nothing short of brilliant. Sure, there are some downsides to GotM, but IMO they are far from being as pronounced as some make them out to be.

#16 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 01 July 2005 - 06:49 AM

well, as far as I'm re-reading it for the 7th time right now (near finish), I think MT would go for favourite. to contrast it, worst?

MoI
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#17 User is offline   stone monkey 

• I'm the baddest man alive and I don't plan to die...
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods

Posted 01 July 2005 - 06:36 AM

Yeah...What he said.

My personal fave is DHG. The Chain of Dogs and it's conclusion gets me every time.
If an opinion contrary to your own makes you angry, that is a sign that you are subconsciously aware of having no good reason for thinking as you do. If some one maintains that two and two are five, or that Iceland is on the equator, you feel pity rather than anger, unless you know so little of arithmetic or geography that his opinion shakes your own contrary conviction. … So whenever you find yourself getting angry about a difference of opinion, be on your guard; you will probably find, on examination, that your belief is going beyond what the evidence warrants. Bertrand Russell

#18 Guest_pehredraal_*

Posted 03 July 2005 - 07:59 PM

I think the weakest of the books was GotM, only, as Tiste Simeon said, it was the beginning and I was unfamiliar with the setting and style, and as yet unappreciative of what Erikson was setting in motion.

As to Karsa being one of the least likeable characters.... well. We are all entitled to oue own opinions.

#19 Guest_Raven_*

Posted 25 July 2005 - 07:28 PM

So what's with all the folks saying GotM was the worst? Granted Erikson had'nt developed his unique writing style by then, but hey, it's what got us started, and personally the moment the BB arived in Daru it was easily the most engrossed I've ever been in a novel. But whatever...for me HoC was definitely the worst.

#20 User is offline   Malaclypse 

• Banned User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 22 July 2005 - 11:00 PM

First of all, this thread ought to be called the 'Least Liked Erikson Book' thread...I even thought (more than once)of exerting my mod powers to change it it, ultimately deciding that it would be oppressive to do so (ahem) anyway...

I would have to say 'The Healthy Dead' because it was more about this world than the Malazan world. I believe I understand the intent behind it and we find out some cool stuff regarding Korbal Broach, the Sisters and so on, yet it was still seemed a little self-indulgent to me. A good book for the fan-atic in me though Posted Image

Gardens is sooooo much better once you've battled through DG and MoI so it doesn't really count as a second, but if I had one GotM would be it Posted Image Disorienting, felt like I was in a class that I wasn't getting credit for, hardcore tough mainly becuse I couldn't find a way to care about any of the characters...But promising, very bloody promising Posted Image

Deadhouse Gates was the 'tightest' book he's ever written as far as I'm concerned. From prologue to finish, a complete work, maybe a masterpiece - time wil tell. Depressing in the extreme, but a complete work. Same problem - didn't care about these people. Except for Quick Ben and by extension, Kalam. Oh yeah, and Fiddler Posted Image

Memories of Ice: if you don't LOVE this book, if you don't fall down on your knees and worship this book, then IMO, you won't like anything that SE writes so you can toodle off into insignificace and air your bitches elsewhere...and for those of you that don't like Karsa, see below Posted Image This was the first big payoff, BH is the second. Trust me Posted Image

House of Chains: contrary to popular opinion, I LOVE Karsa. He's like Conan, except he's on steroids and there is no limit to his potential...for all we know he may become a God. Likely though, he will not embrace civilization. Karsa IS the noble savage, he's as noble as savages get. And he's smart enough to realize the dangers of civilization ( or so I hope). There was so much other good stuff in there, you know what I'm talking about...or you don't.

I'm going to leave MT and BH for another post... Posted Image

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users