Malazan Empire: GRRM for beginners - Malazan Empire

• 4 Pages +

GRRM for beginners Rate Topic: -----

#41 User is offline   Darkwatch 

• A Strange Human
  • Group: The Most Holy and Exalted Inquis

Posted 29 May 2009 - 03:43 PM

Since I'm in a similar position to Mez here let me voice my current opinion of the series so far.

It's ok.

As to why it's okay.
The first book was a good read, while there was the problem of the pet wolves and such, the politicking in King's Landing and the rapid events near the end helped it along. Not to mention it was the first book in a series, and so I would give it more of a chance.

The second book on the other hand was... Long, and massively boring except for a few places. I had to work through it, and having to work through a book is a bad thing.
Most of everything going on at Harrenhal could have been halved easily.
Tyrion saves the book, there is no other reason to read it then to see what he's doing in King's Landing.

I have the third book waiting to be read and I have not bought the other books yet. They're at the end of the reading list.
I will read them, since there's some interesting stuff going on (John in the North, anything with Tyrion) but they won't be recommended highly by me to anyone.
They are exceptionally slow paced, and I thought Michelle West had a monopoly on that. But there were just some parts where I wanted to skip through the chapters.

This post has been edited by Darkwatch: 29 May 2009 - 03:44 PM

The Pub is Always Open

Proud supporter of the Wolves of Winter. Glory be to her Majesty, The Lady Snow.
Cursed Summer returns. The Lady Now Sleeps.

The Sexy Thatch Burning Physicist

Τον Πρωτος Αληθη Δεσποτην της Οικιας Αυτος

RodeoRanch said:

You're a rock.
A non-touching itself rock.

#42 User is offline   teholbeddict 

• Drinking Queen of the Abyssmal Army!!!
  • View gallery
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 29 May 2009 - 04:40 PM

Well I definitely can't really dispute anything that DW has said here. When I first read the series, I thought it was quite good, not overly fantastic, but it would have ranked in my top ten. I re-read it last year and found a lot of the faults with it that DW and MEz have. I think it's because the quality of fantasy material is improving all the time. There are so many fantastic series and books out there now that this one no longer stacks up for me in the way it once did. There is no denying that GRRM is a good writer and has a nice series going here, but there is far better available. I will get the next book when it comes out, but I won't be rushing to read it in the way I once would have. I think there is a lot of hype associated with this series. Many people think it is one of the best out there, and so people pick the books up, but more and more it seems they do not think the books live up to the hype. AFFC is definitely the weakest of the series, but all series have a weak link somewhere. I am hoping Dance will make up for that and make me more enthusiastic about ASOIF again. I'm sure there are many who will disagree with me, but that is my honest opinion on the matter.
Procrastination is like masturbation, you're only F ing yourself...
-Bubbalicious -

Human progress is neither automatic nor inevitable… Every step toward the goal of justice requires sacrifice, suffering, and struggle; the tireless exertions and passionate concern of dedicated individuals.
- Martin Luther King, Jr-

The only thing one can learn from one's past mistakes is how to repeat them exactly.
-Stone Monkey-

Muffins are just ugly cupcakes!
-Zanth13-

#43 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 29 May 2009 - 04:49 PM

View Postteholbeddict, on May 29 2009, 05:40 PM, said:

I am hoping Dance will make up for that and make me more enthusiastic about ASOIF again. I'm sure there are many who will disagree with me, but that is my honest opinion on the matter.

Definitely agree. I have high hopes for ADWD, it could make or break the whole series for me.
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#44 User is offline   Bauchelain the Evil 

• Greatest necromancer ever
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Not much

Posted 29 May 2009 - 05:21 PM

Well with all the tonsof stuff that should be hapenning in hat book, I've got hope. After all I'm actually of the opinion that AFFC wasn't as bad as most of you say. It surely wasn't on par with the first three, but it wasn't something to throw away.
Adept of Team Quick Ben

I greet you as guests and so will not crush the life from you and devour your soul with peals of laughter. No, instead, I will make tea-Gothos

#45 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 29 May 2009 - 11:51 PM

Obviously, I think it's a great series. I also read it as the initial books came out a long time before any of the hype built up. I'm not sure any book could live up to the hype now surrounding the series.

I don't think they are flawless. AGoT takes a little bit too long to get going and in ASoS you could see GRRM starting to go a bit overboard with the details. Chapters he'd have left out in AGoT as being irrelevant to the plot are included in ASoS and are sometimes a bit tedious. However, the best things about ASoS completely obliterate that problem, which only becomes a real issue in Book 4.

GRRM's other strength is his almost unmatched ability to skip genres. ASoIaF is a great epic fantasy series, Fevre Dream is an almost unmatched horror novel, The Armageddon Rag is a solid urban fantasy (kind of) and Dreamsongs is the best single-author collection I've ever read.

You're saying that A Feast For Crows was BETTER than Toll the Hounds? Are you high? When did you get struck on the head? Because if it was recently we might be able to cure you. Otherwise your opinion is provably wrong.

I had a higher opinion of TTH before Erikson said, "Well that's it folks, you want more on Genabackis you have to wait for some book someone else is writing which might be out in a decade's time and if you want more on Karsa, tough, you have to wait until the sequel trilogy I'm planning to write like eight years down the line. Meanwhile let's go back to Lether 'cause those guys are so fascinating and I didn't kill off all the interesting ones last time around" (or something to that effect).

That said, we are probably going to have to sit out a full book to find out what's going on next with Jaime and co, and Erikson may well have gotten back to Karsa and co by then, so maybe the difference isn't that great B)
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#46 User is offline   Dolorous Menhir 

• God
  • Group: Wiki Contributor

Posted 31 May 2009 - 01:15 PM

NO MORE TARGARYENS

#47 User is offline   Slum 

• House Knight

Posted 31 May 2009 - 01:20 PM

I wonder how HBO is gonna handle Dany's underage sex from the book in the show... Meh, they'll prolly just make her 18...

#48 User is offline   Sir Thursday 

• House Knight
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 31 May 2009 - 04:26 PM

View PostSlumgullion Spitteler, on May 31 2009, 02:20 PM, said:

I wonder how HBO is gonna handle Dany's underage sex from the book in the show... Meh, they'll prolly just make her 18...

I believe they're going to make her 15/16, which I guess is about as low as they can push it without too much controversy...

Sir Thursday
Don't look now, but I think there's something weird attached to the bottom of my posts.

#49 User is offline   Volkh 

• Evil Ash

Posted 31 May 2009 - 08:57 PM

I love these books are it is still my fav series to date. Saying that I also picked up the books as a junior in high school when A Game of Thrones was in hard back. At that point i had just finished reading all of the to date Wheel of Time books and had become very sad to see how that series was going. I had read of course all of Lord of the Rings and all of Dragonlance and most of Eddings. Plus many other fantasy books, but most seemed to follow the high fantasy path were the good guys are good guys and they beat up the bad guys and pretty much no one ever dies that's a good guy. So reading Martin after that was a major shock to the system. I remember being like, wow I can't believe this stuff is happening. Even the PoV style that he writes as was new. I have personally given more Martin books away then I can count and have gotten several friends into fantasy after I got them to read them. That being said, i've currently been trying to get them to read the Malaz books lol.

As for AFFC, ya it was weeker then SoS, but I just reread it a few months ago and didn't horrible like I had thought it was when it first came out. I rather enjoyed it reading it on it's own marret rather then every other page going, man were is this person and that person. It's not the righting of AFFC that makes it kinda suck, it is honestly because it is majorly about char's that you don't love and truly want to follow, but it is information that have to have to push the story forward. And also he never wanted to write it and most of aDoD. He orginally had it planed for 6 books. Three books to deal with the war of the five kinds and three books to deal with the war of the dawn. And there was supose to be a five year gape in the story between the two sets of books to allow chars to grow and mature. But as it would end up he couldn't do that after he relised the story of what happens in that five years had to be told.

volkh out
Clatto Verata N... Necktie... Neckturn... Nickel... It's an "N" word, it's definitely an "N" word! Clatto... Verata... N-
[coughs]

#50 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 31 May 2009 - 09:18 PM

I have about 100 pages left to read. The characters are mildly more interesting. The political intrigue certainly has potential but I am finding the execution to be highly irritating. GRRM is clearly obsessed with the pageantry of medieval knights. So much of the writing is taken up with what feels like endless descriptions of family crests, armour and banners arrayed on the battlefield. Maybe it is a symptom of being the setup book for a new world but I'm not sure ASoIaF is for me.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#51 User is offline   bwgan 

• OFFICIAL Keeper of Shiny Things of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 31 May 2009 - 09:47 PM

I've read the first two, and they are okay*, certainly better than a lot of other stuff out there, but I refuse to invest any more time until the series is done. I don't intend to be kept hanging like so many of his fans...I know, I know, SE he is spoiling us with all his books :) but I have been there before...with someone...can't remember who it was...but I hate to be kept waiting.

bwgan patiently impatient since 1876...or it might be 1976...can't remember :)

(*What? You want a proper review or something? Yeah, right! :) Look I can't remember what they were about...except the wolf bit...grr GRRM...just grr.)
'Tell me, Tool, what dominates your thoughts?'
The Imass shrugged before replying. 'I think of Mafia, Adjunct.'
'Do all Imass think about Mafia?'
'No. Few think at all.'
'Why is that?'
The Imass leaned his head to one side and regarded her. 'Because, Adjunct, they are sheeple.'

Sometimes I wonder, "Why is that frisbee getting bigger?" ... and then it hits me.

#52 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 31 May 2009 - 11:04 PM

View PostDolorous Menhir, on May 31 2009, 02:15 PM, said:

NO MORE TARGARYENS

DOWN WITH THIS SORT OF THING (careful now).

There's only one left (or is there? Ha! I'm only kidding. Or am I?), so your wish looks like it's going to be granted (or is it?).

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."

#53 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 02 June 2009 - 12:23 PM

I finished! Unfortunately, GRRM gets a big thumbs down from me. Bizarrely (from what I hear others say his strengths are), I thought weak characterisation let it down. The plot contained some good ideas but the style grated. Of the characters, only Tyrion stands out and that is simply because he is self-aware. The others read like cardboard cut outs. He covered Heroic Youth, Naive Princess, Rebellious Tom Boy, Strong Mother, Spiteful Queen, Spoilt Child, Honourable Father, Henry VIII, amongst others. I would be interested to discover how things get resolved considering the dual threat of the Targaryens and The Others but I would rather read spoilers online than go through more of that prose. Definitely not for me!
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#54 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 02 June 2009 - 12:26 PM

To each their own. I think it gets better, though.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#55 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 02 June 2009 - 02:09 PM

View PostMezla PigDog, on May 28 2009, 03:21 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on May 28 2009, 07:05 PM, said:

Spoiler

Curse you Abyss. Curse yoooooooooooooooooooooooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.

I am immune to spoilers ever since Cougar, Brood and Tiste spoiled the end of TtH for me at the last Crimbo meet up (TtH spoiler alert)
Spoiler

i DID warn you. I DID. really. it's RIGHT THERE...

View PostBauchelain the Evil, on May 29 2009, 01:21 PM, said:

Well with all the tonsof stuff that should be hapenning in hat book, I've got hope. After all I'm actually of the opinion that AFFC wasn't as bad as most of you say. It surely wasn't on par with the first three, but it wasn't something to throw away.

What bugs me about FFC is the sense that a lot of nothing happens. In a book that big, i just don't accept that many pages of set-up and epilogue. Yes, it's a decent entry in the bigger story, but overall every prior book had at least a major step or two, and this felt like a lot of foreplay. And ending
Spoiler
storyline like that...
Spoiler
was unforgiveably feeble, on par with RJ's
Spoiler

View PostSlumgullion Spitteler, on May 31 2009, 09:20 AM, said:

I'm more curious about whether they start the series with the incest plus throwing a seven yr old off a tall building.

- Abyss, ...will, in fact, giggle if they do that... i'm a horrible person.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#56 User is offline   Dolorous Menhir 

• God
  • Group: Wiki Contributor

Posted 02 June 2009 - 09:25 PM

This is the most negative Martin thread ever.

I'm shocked.

#57 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 02 June 2009 - 09:44 PM

View PostAbyss, on Jun 2 2009, 03:09 PM, said:

I'm more curious about whether they start the series with the incest plus throwing a seven yr old off a tall building.

Spoilers for the aGoT pilot:
Spoiler

This post has been edited by polishgenius: 02 June 2009 - 09:44 PM

I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#58 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 02 June 2009 - 09:55 PM

View Postpolishgenius, on Jun 2 2009, 10:44 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on Jun 2 2009, 03:09 PM, said:

Spoilers for the aGoT pilot:
Spoiler

Spoiler
?
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#59 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 02 June 2009 - 10:25 PM

Bingo.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#60 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 03 June 2009 - 02:01 AM

View PostDolorous Menhir, on Jun 2 2009, 10:25 PM, said:

This is the most negative Martin thread ever.

I'm shocked.

Not even remotely close :D It's not even the most negative Martin thread I've ever seen on Malazanempire.

Seriously, do people never watch HBO? Rome, The Wire and especially Deadwood had stuff in them that makes even the 'grittiest' stuff in ASoIaF look mild by comparison.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users