Malazan Empire: Most Divisive Book - Malazan Empire

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Most Divisive Book bear with me Rate Topic: -----

Poll: Book which you diagree most with the consensus (60 member(s) have cast votes)

See poll title!

1. GotM (6 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

2. DG (3 votes [5.00%])

Percentage of vote: 5.00%

3. MoI (1 votes [1.67%])

Percentage of vote: 1.67%

4. HoC (14 votes [23.33%])

Percentage of vote: 23.33%

5. MT (4 votes [6.67%])

Percentage of vote: 6.67%

6. BH (1 votes [1.67%])

Percentage of vote: 1.67%

7. RG (10 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

8. TtH (21 votes [35.00%])

Percentage of vote: 35.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   The Dark Wanderer 

• Captain
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 24 May 2009 - 10:54 PM

Ok, reading through some of the threads in an attempt to re-brief myself before re-reading some of the later books prior to the release of DoD, I've seen most of the books referred to as divisive (ie some people love it, others feel it's the weakest book of the series), so I wondered which is in reality the most divisive book of the series so far. Unfortunately I cann't work out how to ask that as a decent poll question so instead I'm asking for people's opinion of where they think they most disagree with the consensus. I'm willing to beat that it won't be a couple of books, but have no actual clue as to which it is. Probably to make this slightly clearer reasons should be given and also a quick view on what the consensus is (in your opinion). As I'm foolishly starting this, I guess I should go first.

HoC - consensus seems to be that the first bit with Karsa doesn't really fit, the story meanders along a little and parts of it don't make a huge amount of sense at the time (specifically the scenes in the Nascent with Karsa/Trull/Onrack)

My opinion - this is the first book that really starts to give a bigger idea of the picture of the whole world and some of the backstory, see Apsalar's cmments on Traveller, the intoduction of Andarist and the other Andii. Karsa's bit is a nice change of pace from the rest of the series and works well as an introduction to the character. The final battle/s at Raraku are well written and the conclusion to the sisters storyline is beautifully ironic as is Pearl's/Lostara's reaction to it.

Any one else out wanting some of the abuse this thread will generate feel free to comment.

This post has been edited by The Dark Wanderer: 24 May 2009 - 10:56 PM

#2 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 24 May 2009 - 10:59 PM

Reaper's Gale. I love it. It is my favorite in the series. Others do not, therefore, I and the consensus disagree MOST on that book. However, everyone loves MoI and DG so those aren't going to really be in contention. Midnight Tides is fairly consistently liked as well.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#3 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 24 May 2009 - 11:04 PM

The book that most people don't like is probably GotM. We just never hear from them again because most don't keep reading. Whereas I love it, so I guess that.
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#4 User is offline   KeithF 

• Sergeant

Posted 24 May 2009 - 11:31 PM

Opinions vary so much that I'm not even sure what the consensus is on some of the books. However, I'll probably vote for TtH as the book I most deviate from the consensus on: I've read a lot of moaning, um, complaints about how the finale doesn't make up for the meandering first 3/4 of the book, there's too much angst/philosophy etc. However, I think it's one of the best of the series (slight excess of angst in the middle notwithstanding).
I think malazan is a pretty cool guy. eh kills well-loved characters and doesn't afraid of anything.

#5 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 25 May 2009 - 03:10 AM

-GotM is divisive for its confusingness, but eventually people get into the series entire and they no longer find it divisive.
-Similarly, MT throws a lot of people off because so much of it is new and different, but again, people come around after the Edur storylines get more involved in BH and RG.
-A lot of people dislike RG, but that's just cause they're made at Trull/Beak dying, and eventually they quit whining and get over it.

However, there are a lot of people who really disliked TtH because of its slow beginning and middle, and few have changed their mind on this front. Of course, TtH may suffer on this front in that it's the most recent book, and folks mind like it better after DoD comes out, but for now I'd say TtH.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#6 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 25 May 2009 - 04:29 AM

I'm agreeing with D'rek, there are a lot of people who believe TtH to be the worst Malazan book to date, but I'm not in that camp - I loved it.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#7 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 25 May 2009 - 04:44 AM

i do think that most people (or perhaps the most vocal people) find TtH to be the weakest entry, i however loved it to shit and know that there is a lot of others who do as well. the split has gotta be the closest to 50/50 of all the books, so, most divisive
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#8 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 25 May 2009 - 05:38 AM

I agreed with most everyone that TTH was the weakest until i did a re-read. For some reason i absolutely loved it the second time around.

But Reapers Gale was my favorite also even though a lot of people think its weak. How can you not love all that Malazan Marine goodness? :(
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#9 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 25 May 2009 - 06:15 AM

This thread is soooo yesterday!

/end girl.

But seriously, we already know that Deadhouse Gates is the most divisive book - Yellow's Latest Update Here has all sorts of fancy stats. Including the fact that DG has the highest standard deviation, indicating that it's the most loved and most hated book, ergo the most divisive. :D

In any case, it's clear so far from this thread that TTH is not the most divisive. I'd say the opinions expressed about it are vocal, but not as extreme as we think (note it is also the fifth most popular book on the list in the thread linked above). I'd say that I, personally, have the most disagreements over the newer books - but that's really due to the lack of activity on (and the lack of me reading) the older forums.

>.>

Anyway, I'd probably have to go with HoC - if only for the first part of it. Though I didn't really dislike that, but I know that a lot of people have a love relationship with it, and a whole bunch of others have a hate relationship with it. :(

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#10 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • Group: LHTEC
  • Interests:Dungeons and Dragons, and the odd caramel slice.
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 25 May 2009 - 07:04 AM

I'd probably say HoC too...but I didn't like MT a lot. One minute we're in with the Malazans, warrens and 'Hood's breath", the next we're in Lether, where everything suxxorz. But it was a crucial step for the series, so I'm just being grumpy.
Suck it Errant!

"It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum...and I'm all out of gum."

QUOTE (KeithF @ Jun 30 2009, 09:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It has been proven beyond all reasonable doubt that the most powerful force on Wu is a bunch of messed-up Malazans with Moranth munitions.

#11 User is offline   Bauchelain the Evil 

• Greatest necromancer ever
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Not much

Posted 25 May 2009 - 06:49 PM

Many people said that after MT the books started to become worse but I completely disagree. I loved TBH(after MoI it's my favourite book) and liked a lot Rg too. On the other hand I didn't think that DG was so awesome as everyone says. In fact, and I'm sure I'll be burned for my heresy, until the very end when the /th is slaughtered outside Aren and Coltaine was crucifixed, I found the CoD ,well, boring.
Adept of Team Quick Ben

I greet you as guests and so will not crush the life from you and devour your soul with peals of laughter. No, instead, I will make tea-Gothos

#12 User is offline   Khellendros 

• Saboteur of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 25 May 2009 - 06:58 PM

Well, at first I was going to vote for TtH, because I didn't enjoy it all that much, but then I read some of the posts above and the consensus seems to be that if you loved that book, then you're deviating from the norm.

So instead I voted for RG, as I loved many parts of it (yes, including the Redmask arc, which I've defended on numerous occasions on this board). Although it's not my favourite overall book either, in my opinion many of the criticisms of it are unjustified - or at the least too extreme.
"I think I've made a terrible error of judgement."

#13 User is offline   lord of tragedy 

• High Fist

Posted 25 May 2009 - 10:35 PM

HOC. the ghost army was pants. thuroughly unsatisfying. TTH is a masterpiece of the fantasy genre. lost in a city of words. genius. MT may just be better though.
sitting down here in the campfire light, waiting on the ghost of tom joad.

#14 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • Group: LHTEC
  • Interests:Dungeons and Dragons, and the odd caramel slice.
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 26 May 2009 - 08:12 AM

I loved BH...the prologue after reading MT was a beautiful appetiser. Y'Ghatan was terrifically written, as well as spine-chilling.
Suck it Errant!

"It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum...and I'm all out of gum."

QUOTE (KeithF @ Jun 30 2009, 09:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It has been proven beyond all reasonable doubt that the most powerful force on Wu is a bunch of messed-up Malazans with Moranth munitions.

#15 User is offline   Daser 

• First Sword

Posted 26 May 2009 - 11:38 AM

Cant vote anything else than Toll the Hounds.

It is such an even split between those that like it best and those that find it weakest that it has to win this poll.

#16 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 27 May 2009 - 04:59 PM

I voted GotM because I love it, but maybe I should have voted DG. It's my least favorite in the series.

#17 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 28 May 2009 - 11:24 AM

errr BH anyone? i thought it was shaky at best and well accepted it as the link book but really some love it for the maine goodness mentioned above but i was not a fan.

GOTM- As already said confusing and most hardcore fans of the series love it. Not divisive
DG- quite divisive as the felisin plotline ruined it for some whereas the COD and Iccy and Mappo bouncing round the desert saved it for some
MOI-Win by everyone
HOC- Problems here. No real big battle but mainly divisive because of the anti climax. I myself am against the ghost army thing but did like Karsa plotline
MT-Throws people off series wise with new Empires being thrown around left right and centre but still regarded as a close scond if not superior to MOI. SOme love it some hate it
BH mentoned above
RG-Just finished this and really liked it alot more than i did on the 4th read thru although i still am bamboozled by the redmask plot
TTH-Hated it the first time a read it and though even the ending didnt make it up for it. 2nd time loved the bulk of the book and wasnt a fan of the flashy ending

Essentially opinions divided on whether MT is brilliant or shit beccause its on a diffeent continent, TTH because its like reading Platos Republic for the most part but i reckon BH which i maintain is the weakest book but many love it.

Of course no one loves the lapland day out american cover :D

This post has been edited by tiam: 28 May 2009 - 11:25 AM

#18 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 28 May 2009 - 01:41 PM

View Posttiam, on May 28 2009, 06:24 AM, said:

errr BH anyone? i thought it was shaky at best and well accepted it as the link book but really some love it for the maine goodness mentioned above but i was not a fan.

TB is one of the only books for which I can't find any concensus on this board. Everyone thinks it's one of the best, or one of the worst. However on other boards there's this concensus of "series goes downhill after book 5" which frankly I don't understand.

#19 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 28 May 2009 - 05:18 PM

View PostEnd of Disc One, on May 28 2009, 02:41 PM, said:

View Posttiam, on May 28 2009, 06:24 AM, said:

TB is one of the only books for which I can't find any concensus on this board. Everyone thinks it's one of the best, or one of the worst. However on other boards there's this concensus of "series goes downhill after book 5" which frankly I don't understand.

Consensus on post MT is truish. BH was the link book and weak at that, RG was a bit of a link and set up book and the redmask plolt confused many withits twist. After just reading it i still have no idea who/what redmask was accept what is stated. TTH is a differentstyle of book that many may not like but after a reread it makes more sense

#20 User is offline   Lister of Smeg 

• King of High House Smeg

Posted 28 May 2009 - 06:29 PM

View Posttiam, on May 28 2009, 12:24 PM, said:

GOTM- As already said confusing and most hardcore fans of the series love it. Not divisive
DG- quite divisive as the felisin plotline ruined it for some whereas the COD and Iccy and Mappo bouncing round the desert saved it for some
MOI-Win by everyone
HOC- Problems here. No real big battle but mainly divisive because of the anti climax. I myself am against the ghost army thing but did like Karsa plotline
MT-Throws people off series wise with new Empires being thrown around left right and centre but still regarded as a close scond if not superior to MOI. SOme love it some hate it
BH mentoned above
RG-Just finished this and really liked it alot more than i did on the 4th read thru although i still am bamboozled by the redmask plot
TTH-Hated it the first time a read it and though even the ending didnt make it up for it. 2nd time loved the bulk of the book and wasnt a fan of the flashy ending

If this is right, I should change my vote to MoI because on my recent reread of the series I found it one of the hardest to plough through The siege of Capustan is still great but so much of the rest of it was dull (and I don't just mean the Mhybe).

I voted for RG, because on other boards it gets panned a lot and I just loved it. It's my third favourite behind DG and MT.
Avoid being seen as racist by saying, "I'm not a racist, but ..." prior to making a racist comment.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users