Malazan Empire: Most Divisive Book - Malazan Empire

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Most Divisive Book bear with me Rate Topic: -----

Poll: Book which you diagree most with the consensus (60 member(s) have cast votes)

See poll title!

1. GotM (6 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

2. DG (3 votes [5.00%])

Percentage of vote: 5.00%

3. MoI (1 votes [1.67%])

Percentage of vote: 1.67%

4. HoC (14 votes [23.33%])

Percentage of vote: 23.33%

5. MT (4 votes [6.67%])

Percentage of vote: 6.67%

6. BH (1 votes [1.67%])

Percentage of vote: 1.67%

7. RG (10 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

8. TtH (21 votes [35.00%])

Percentage of vote: 35.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 28 May 2009 - 06:49 PM

View Posttiam, on May 28 2009, 12:18 PM, said:

[...] BH was the link book and weak at that [...]

WHAT?! BH is full of nothing but awesomesauce.
1- Tons of characters that have huge gonads but haven't done anything previously all pull out their dicks and start stirring shit up like mad (ie Karsa, Paran, Iccy, Apsalar etc.)
2- The 14th actually fights.
3- Crokus keeps whining for a bit, but then mellows out after some sex and gets disembowled.

are among the fantasmic reasons why reading BH is fantastic and orgasmic, but the ultimate reason that by itself and with nothing else makes BH better than all the other books in the series put together:

4- Banaschar steals money from dozens of temples and gets drunk every night for an entire year.

View PostLister of Smeg, on May 28 2009, 01:29 PM, said:

If this is right, I should change my vote to MoI because on my recent reread of the series I found it one of the hardest to plough through The siege of Capustan is still great but so much of the rest of it was dull (and I don't just mean the Mhybe).

I voted for RG, because on other boards it gets panned a lot and I just loved it. It's my third favourite behind DG and MT.

You'd be in a massive minority there anyways, though. Even if *you* personally don't like MoI, you can still see that an overwhelming majority of people here have it as their favourite, and thus it is not very divisive...

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#22 User is offline   Stradivarius 

• Marine
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 28 May 2009 - 06:55 PM

i voted for gotm as stated earlier a lot of people only get this far then leave. but this was the book that started it all off for me! awsum book which drove me on to read the next. absolutly love this book. didnt find moc very good prob the weakest in the series for me
Whole bag of orios! crappin all over the carpet! twelve ribs my ass!!!

#23 User is offline   Lister of Smeg 

• King of High House Smeg

Posted 28 May 2009 - 09:08 PM

View PostD'rek, on May 28 2009, 07:49 PM, said:

If this is right, I should change my vote to MoI because on my recent reread of the series I found it one of the hardest to plough through The siege of Capustan is still great but so much of the rest of it was dull (and I don't just mean the Mhybe).

I voted for RG, because on other boards it gets panned a lot and I just loved it. It's my third favourite behind DG and MT.

You'd be in a massive minority there anyways, though. Even if *you* personally don't like MoI, you can still see that an overwhelming majority of people here have it as their favourite, and thus it is not very divisive...

The question in the poll, however, was: "Book which you diagree most with the consensus". So I should really have voted for MoI. I didn't really think of it when I did vote though.
Avoid being seen as racist by saying, "I'm not a racist, but ..." prior to making a racist comment.

#24 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 28 May 2009 - 11:45 PM

View PostLister of Smeg, on May 28 2009, 04:08 PM, said:

View PostD'rek, on May 28 2009, 07:49 PM, said:

The question in the poll, however, was: "Book which you diagree most with the consensus". So I should really have voted for MoI. I didn't really think of it when I did vote though.

So it is. Nevermind that then. I never read poll questions, it's my one and only flaw. A fatal flaw, in fact!

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#25 User is offline   RangerSG 

• Fist

Posted 29 May 2009 - 06:34 AM

The book I deviate the most from the norm on is MT. I know lots of people love it. It's never done anything for me. So much of it was set up of the new area. But all of that seems to be redone in RG anyway. And given that, why did we need a whole book devoted to what could've been done in a section of RG and made both books tighter? B) So to me, if there's one book I ask "Why" about, it's that one.

I love 4/5ths of TtH. And after the Malazans appear in RG, it rocks. It's just that I feel like so much of MT could've been combined into the first part of RG. Just like when I read the Dark Tower I can't avoid thinking "The Song of Suzanna" could've have been merged into books 5 & 7 and nothing lost.

This post has been edited by RangerSG: 29 May 2009 - 06:35 AM

#26 User is offline   blackzoid 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 29 May 2009 - 11:39 AM

Wow man, we have opposite tastes. MT is my favourite Malazan book and Song of Suzannah is my second favourite DT book (after Drawing of the 3) Roland + Eddie adventures in our world = massive win.

It used to be that the book I didn't like that everybody seemed to like was Hoc, I hated the book because I realise I projected my hatred of the Karsa character onto the whole book, which wasn't fair. On the reread I was amazed by the book, it just works on so many levels and the ending is brilliant (I really liked the Ghost army kicking the Rebellion's ass).
Although I still hate the Karsa section at the start.

This post has been edited by blackzoid: 29 May 2009 - 11:44 AM

#27 User is offline   foolio 

• Emperor
  • about as popular as a whores dose of the face eater

Posted 03 June 2009 - 02:32 PM

I freaking loved tBH. Absolutely my favorite. I am a sucker for Balm and Kindly interacting with their subordinates...

I like all of the books, but if I had to rank from least favorite being #1 then
1 ToTH
2 RG
3 HOC all the rape talk in the beginning just wore on me. I will probably get flamed but Karsa is such a dispicable bastard for the first 100 pages that I really almost quit reading, which would have been a huge mistake. After The first part of the book I think it got real good.

If this includes all Malazan books I could easily say that ROTCG is a steaming pile of pigshit compared to the rest of the series. NoK is OK.
I have seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter at the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain...."

#28 User is offline   RangerSG 

• Fist

Posted 03 June 2009 - 07:46 PM

View Postfoolio, on Jun 3 2009, 09:32 AM, said:

If this includes all Malazan books I could easily say that ROTCG is a steaming pile of pigshit compared to the rest of the series. NoK is OK.

I've sat down with the ICE books at the store and tried reading them. I don't see them at anywhere the same level. Heck, I can't bring myself to want to spend money on them yet. And I wish he'd leave established characters alone. Whenever he touches a known major character, it seems they turn utterly two dimensional and almost unrecognizable. :D

#29 User is offline   Aooga 

• Sergeant

Posted 07 June 2009 - 02:04 PM

I have to be honest - I didn't understand half of what went on in TTH. To be fair I burned through all the books in a couple of months and so that will definitely impact on the comprehension. Right on on my first re-read of all books. Taking it nice and slow, no rush and not only am I enjoying it more second time round, i'm picking up on stuff I totoally missed before. On HoC now so let's see if by the end of TTH I totally 'get it' all.

#30 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 01 July 2009 - 04:57 PM

I loved TtH and hated RG. (An exaggeration on both counts, but still.)

Not sure which view goes against the general consensus the most.

This post has been edited by Salt-Man Z: 01 July 2009 - 04:57 PM

"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#31 User is offline   AlanH 

• Lieutenant

Posted 01 July 2009 - 05:20 PM

I voted for RG because it is the one I think some people don't like, but I thought it was fantastic. I thought about voting fot TtH for the same reason.
"I don't know why we are here, but I'm pretty sure that it is not in order to enjoy ourselves." - Ludwig Wittgenstein

#32 User is offline   Winter 

• Recruit

Posted 20 July 2009 - 03:37 AM

I definitely had to vote for Toll the Hounds. While it seems that a lot of people on other boards find it the weakest book yet, I had not a single issue with it and enjoyed it immensely. Then again, I also diverge from the other consensus that the books start going downhill after either MoI or MT (I've seen both), as I consider the latter novels to be better than the earlier ones (with Midnight Tides and The Bonehunters my favorites).

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users