• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Dessembrae-Lord of Tragedy Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 12 May 2009 - 03:29 PM

View Postlord of tragedy, on May 11 2009, 09:58 AM, said:

ice write cool action sequences? not in ROTCG.

What?! There are HEAPS of awesome action sequences. Rell is a total badass,
Spoiler
, Laseen, any of the Avowed sequences,
Spoiler
, the phalanx part with Nait was quite realistic (I liked it anyway),
Spoiler

Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#22 User is offline   lord of tragedy 

• High Fist

Posted 12 May 2009 - 07:56 PM

ice is pants mappo. sorry. when you list the characters and scenarios that he had to work with, it was the return of the crimson guard for fuck sake!, it should have been mind blowing instead of clunky.

i liked NOK its far superior. i still think hood is back though.
sitting down here in the campfire light, waiting on the ghost of tom joad.

#23 User is offline   Hetan 

• Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • View gallery
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 12 May 2009 - 08:27 PM

The Lord of Tragedy. Dessembrae. That is Dassem Ultor
- from The Bonehunters (Leoman and Corabb
"He was not a modest man. Contemplating suicide, he summoned a dragon". (Gothos' Folly)- Gothos

#24 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 13 May 2009 - 03:15 AM

View Postlord of tragedy, on May 13 2009, 05:56 AM, said:

ice is pants mappo. sorry. when you list the characters and scenarios that he had to work with, it was the return of the crimson guard for fuck sake!, it should have been mind blowing instead of clunky.

i liked NOK its far superior. i still think hood is back though.

Alright, the story was clunky, yes, but I liked the action sequences, even if no one else did.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#25 User is offline   Excellence 

• High Fist

Posted 01 June 2009 - 12:07 PM

Yes.

I remember reading a specific mention of Dassem being Dessembrae. I don't remember where, Bonehunters or Reaper's, I think. I remember thinking, at last, after years of cryptic hints, a direct confirmation.
If there were no smart people others wouldn't feel inadequate.

Right?

#26 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Writing. Martial arts. Sport. Music, playing and singing, composition.

Posted 02 June 2009 - 02:28 PM

I've just read it. Leoman, in conversation with Corabb while journeying to Y'Ghatan, confirms it.
It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about nowadays saying things against one, behind one's back, that are absolutely and entirely true.
-- Oscar Wilde

#27 User is offline   beru 

• shy guy
  • Interests:gaming (strategy/tactic first persons)<br />reading<br />swiming

Posted 11 June 2009 - 11:31 AM

fidller also say so pg 452 of teh paper back verson of DHG..
i want to see this world where T'lan imass kneels

#28 User is offline   coltainereborn 

• Captain

Posted 11 June 2009 - 05:41 PM

My question is, when Dassem and Rake are dueling- where the hell did all the cultists come from? they just show up out of nowhere- how did they know the confrontation was happening, and where it was happening to be able to show up just in time to watch it all go down?

Were they able to track him through some worshipper/worshipped connection? Is he going to get his own mortal sword, and other positions?

#29 User is offline   T'renn 

• First Sword
  • Cussing Forevah

Posted 11 June 2009 - 08:09 PM

I think to the first, yes, there is a connection to his "followers" second, he is a denying God, so there can be no mortal sword and likewise positions, since it is up to the god to appoint them.
...Every tale is a gift,
And the scars bourne by us both,
are easily missed,
In the distance between us.

-Fisher-

Don't be blind,
Mind,
To be kind,
For you will find,

Kindness has its own rewards,
and each must find his way to heaven

-T.D. Mengerink-

#30 User is offline   coltainereborn 

• Captain

Posted 11 June 2009 - 09:12 PM

View PostImperial High Mage Tayschrenn, on Jun 11 2009, 04:09 PM, said:

I think to the first, yes, there is a connection to his "followers" second, he is a denying God, so there can be no mortal sword and likewise positions, since it is up to the god to appoint them.

Not necessarily- Trull becomes Shadows mortal sword, and it was never sanctioned by ST.
Same with Clip, he was MS of darkness, but never met Rake

#31 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 11 June 2009 - 09:28 PM

A Knight and a Mortal Sword are not necessarily the same thing, although they are probably different names for the same thing, but we don't know for sure. I think IHMT has it correct. Your examples are also not very convincing. First of all, we never truly know if Clip was the MS - he's arrogant enough that he would just assume the role himself. Like IHMT said, you can't be a MS of a god who doesn't want to be a god. Secondly, Trull becomes Knight of Shadow because Hannan Mosag wants him to be the MS of Emurlahnis - it has nothing to do with ST.

#32 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 12 June 2009 - 12:54 AM

The titles Mortal Sword, Destriant, Shield Anvil are just that - titles. While the Grey Sword officers were the real deal, the church of Fener had many, many other Destriants because it was a part of the hierarchy of the church, hence why Rath'Fener claimed his rank was as Destriant. Karnadas just happened to be officially imbued with Fener's own power because Fener had chosen him personally. Likewise, the Bluerose can go ahead and call Clip the MS of Rake, it's the very same as any church declaring their top members special names. Rake didn't acknowledge it and so Clip had none of Rake's own power passed into him, but he was still a MS in the Bluerose' eyes.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#33 User is offline   Trull's son 

• First Sword

Posted 12 June 2009 - 03:00 AM

Alot of Dassem's history seems to be new to me. Where is it mentioned that his daughter was required at the chaining? Who was Dassem beforehand, and how OLD is he. I had always believed him to be among the original founders of the Malazan empire, but if he had been present at the chaining, this would mean he was around closer to the time of Kallor's empire (the First Empire??). Do we ever find out at what point he had become a god? Seems I have overlooked so much of his history, which is odd on my part being that Dassem has always been among my favorite characters.

OH, how could anyone qualify as Mortal Sword to Traveller. He'd have to be some badass swordsman to pull that part off.. (Brys beddict anyone?)

#34 User is offline   beru 

• shy guy
  • Interests:gaming (strategy/tactic first persons)<br />reading<br />swiming

Posted 12 June 2009 - 05:58 AM

View PostTrull's son, on Jun 12 2009, 05:00 AM, said:

Alot of Dassem's history seems to be new to me. (1)Where is it mentioned that his daughter was required at the chaining? (2)Who was Dassem beforehand, (3)and how OLD is he. I had always believed him to be among the original founders of the Malazan empire, but if he had been present at the chaining, this would mean he was around closer to the time of Kallor's empire (the First Empire??). Do we ever find out at what point he had become a god? Seems I have overlooked so much of his history, which is odd on my part being that Dassem has always been among my favorite characters.

OH, how could anyone qualify as Mortal Sword to Traveller. He'd have to be some badass swordsman to pull that part off.. (Brys beddict anyone?)

1. there have been more than one chaining in the most reasent envy does not atend and dassems daughter is used by hood insted and nearly dies (moi)
2. Dassem is now desembae/traveller and was born dassem
3. he is nearly 200 years old and have kept going by: asending and stayed inside the deadhouse

and kallors empire is not the first empire
i want to see this world where T'lan imass kneels

#35 User is offline   coltainereborn 

• Captain

Posted 12 June 2009 - 03:47 PM

View PostD'rek, on Jun 11 2009, 08:54 PM, said:

The titles Mortal Sword, Destriant, Shield Anvil are just that - titles. While the Grey Sword officers were the real deal, the church of Fener had many, many other Destriants because it was a part of the hierarchy of the church, hence why Rath'Fener claimed his rank was as Destriant. Karnadas just happened to be officially imbued with Fener's own power because Fener had chosen him personally. Likewise, the Bluerose can go ahead and call Clip the MS of Rake, it's the very same as any church declaring their top members special names. Rake didn't acknowledge it and so Clip had none of Rake's own power passed into him, but he was still a MS in the Bluerose' eyes.

You're right, but I guess that was kind of my point, I don't think Dassem asked for the cult, but he has one anyway, the cultists could install a heirarchy w/o him. And then what if he is hi-jacked like Feather witch did to the Errant in MT-- Traveler has power, and if SE has taught us anything, its that people will want a piece of it. I think one of the most interesting aspects of SE's work is the way that Worshipped/worshipper relationship is a two way street.

#36 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 14 June 2009 - 07:13 PM

View Postcoltainereborn, on Jun 12 2009, 11:47 AM, said:

View PostD'rek, on Jun 11 2009, 08:54 PM, said:

You're right, but I guess that was kind of my point, I don't think Dassem asked for the cult, but he has one anyway, the cultists could install a heirarchy w/o him. And then what if he is hi-jacked like Feather witch did to the Errant in MT-- Traveler has power, and if SE has taught us anything, its that people will want a piece of it. I think one of the most interesting aspects of SE's work is the way that Worshipped/worshipper relationship is a two way street.

I don't think the comparison is valid. The Errant was an established part of the Tiles and had his own priesthood and whatnot in place. Willingly. He may have reduced himself a lot, but the old system could be revived, and FW did. And even then the Errant could've quashed it until FW ate his eye.

Dessembrae has never been more than a cult, Dassem has never accepted or blessed a formal structure or even acknowledged his wroshippers, so there is no old structure to revive. And, seeing as its Dassem, I wouldn't count on any cultists managing to best him and steal his eye...

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#37 User is offline   Trull's son 

• First Sword

Posted 15 June 2009 - 01:55 AM

Another question then. how many chainings were there? are we going to run into several crippled gods lying around?? I believe he was the only one mentioned as being chained. And if the Cripple God was chained in the time of Dissemblakis (First empire?) who was chained within the last 200 years in Wu? You would think some crimson guard or Thelomen would have remembered, them being of the short lived long-lived peoples (I will assume all ascendants memories turn to muck after the first hundred millenia or so).

Why chains?

#38 User is offline   Bauchelain the Evil 

• Greatest necromancer ever
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Not much

Posted 15 June 2009 - 09:10 AM

The being who was chained was always the CG. Maybe he always managed to escape the previous chainingsand the Ascendants had to redo it all over or maybe they somehow sensed that the ritual was weakening and had to be reinforced, we don't now, All that we know is that there were more than one Chaining, the last one recent enugh for Cotillion and Dassem to partecipate and they all served to bind te CG to Burn
Adept of Team Quick Ben

I greet you as guests and so will not crush the life from you and devour your soul with peals of laughter. No, instead, I will make tea-Gothos

#39 User is offline   Wampyry 

• High Fist

Posted 15 June 2009 - 03:33 PM

Mappo's Travelling Sack: "Alright, the story was clunky, yes, but I liked the action sequences, even if no one else did."

For what it's worth, I agree with you. I read fantasy for entertainment. ROTCG had a lot of action packed storylines and some awesome characters. Thoroughly enjoyed the book

#40 User is offline   clanless 

• Corporal

Posted 15 June 2009 - 04:28 PM

View PostBauchelain the Evil, on Jun 15 2009, 05:10 AM, said:

The being who was chained was always the CG. Maybe he always managed to escape the previous chainingsand the Ascendants had to redo it all over or maybe they somehow sensed that the ritual was weakening and had to be reinforced, we don't now, All that we know is that there were more than one Chaining, the last one recent enugh for Cotillion and Dassem to partecipate and they all served to bind te CG to Burn

He did come down in pieces though when he fell right? So maybe whatwas chained is just the largest piece of the CG they could find.....on a tangent the great ravens came from his flesh right........isn't it odd that they run around and do what they like.....friends with the "good guys". But noone knows what thier agenda is.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users