Malazan Empire: Settings/Campaigns on the run - Malazan Empire

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Settings/Campaigns on the run What are you running or playing?

#1 User is offline   Darkwatch 

• A Strange Human
  • Group: The Most Holy and Exalted Inquis

Posted 22 April 2009 - 05:16 PM

In an effort to practice what I preach.

So what campaigns and/or settings are you people currently running or playing right now?

*Note: In my mind a campaign is a storyline within a setting.
The setting is the wider world and can hold many campaigns.

Our gaming group has become more unstable of late so we have a bunch of inactive games lying around.

Though of the active ones I'm currently running as sci-fi setting on GURPS.
The premise is we're in the 23rd century and Mankind has colonized a good portion of the Solar System (It's a hard sci-fi campaign).
The current Solar power is Canada, followed by the EU, the US, China and Russia.
My players are set up as mercs or pirates and they've just started a gang war between the Terran based mafias and the extra-terrestrial ones (based on Midway).
Right now they're making the long trip to Pluto in the effort to save some hostages.

The other active games are the one on one Stargate game in which I'm playing a Goual'd struggling to make himself a small kingdom between being hunted down by Ra (and his brood), Apophis, and well just about everyone.
Not to mention we've just been brought into a massive war against a species that can't be stopped (this is metagame knowledge, since my other character has seen them before and knows what they can do).
The Pub is Always Open

Proud supporter of the Wolves of Winter. Glory be to her Majesty, The Lady Snow.
Cursed Summer returns. The Lady Now Sleeps.

The Sexy Thatch Burning Physicist

Τον Πρωτος Αληθη Δεσποτην της Οικιας Αυτος

RodeoRanch said:

You're a rock.
A non-touching itself rock.

#2 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 23 April 2009 - 08:12 AM

*sobs*

I haven't had good game in 18 months! hell, I haven't had ANY game at all in 18 months! Of course, having been in Timor for the last 8 is a viable excuse, and as for as I can tell the only game in town in Darwin in a club that is full of munchkins, or beardy old wargamers. :(

Sorry about the off-topic post DW, just having a sook. :D

So how many players do you have anyway?
I've tried GURPS a couple of times, but it takes me forever to make a character, and it isn't exactly rules-lite.
I'm more of a fan of the WW system.

I wish someone good would run a MBotF game, with some of the variations on ideas I've seen on this forum.

Cheers,

La Sombra, no - "game" is NOT a metaphor :p

This post has been edited by Sombra: 23 April 2009 - 08:15 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#3 User is offline   Valgard 

• Bored Microbiologist (not a good combination)

Posted 23 April 2009 - 01:32 PM

Am currently playing in an Ars magica campaign set in the black forest in Germany.

Also playing in a home brew setting with strange evil conspiracies in the modern world, which is great fun but really really wierd.

Also about to start a game called baylon prime which is a time travel game where you have to try and correct things other people have done to the time line. Not sure how the game works yet but looking forward to playing it.

#4 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 23 April 2009 - 01:54 PM

Haven't played anything in ages, but I had a Paranoia! game planned and was working on a Deadlands setting (also because my playgroup is used to a d10 system and this would blend in). Paranoia because it allows laughs and mindless violence and Deadlands because a zombie-western is just too awesome.

This post has been edited by Tapper: 23 April 2009 - 01:54 PM

Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#5 User is offline   Darkwatch 

• A Strange Human

Posted 24 April 2009 - 02:31 AM

View PostSombra, on Apr 23 2009, 04:12 AM, said:

*sobs*

I haven't had good game in 18 months! hell, I haven't had ANY game at all in 18 months! Of course, having been in Timor for the last 8 is a viable excuse, and as for as I can tell the only game in town in Darwin in a club that is full of munchkins, or beardy old wargamers. :D

Sorry about the off-topic post DW, just having a sook. :p

So how many players do you have anyway?
I've tried GURPS a couple of times, but it takes me forever to make a character, and it isn't exactly rules-lite.
I'm more of a fan of the WW system.

I wish someone good would run a MBotF game, with some of the variations on ideas I've seen on this forum.

Cheers,

La Sombra, no - "game" is NOT a metaphor :p

I've got a total of 6 players.
Though the game has been built to be modular, in the sense that I can run it, any time anywhere without all the players.
We started doing this because the gaming group had become unstable. I've installed stasis pods on the ship to that end.
It's true that it takes ages to build a character, but the advantage is (since I have no magic or psionics) that We barely even touch the books. Unlike in DnD.

View PostValgard, on Apr 23 2009, 09:32 AM, said:

Am currently playing in an Ars magica campaign set in the black forest in Germany.

Also playing in a home brew setting with strange evil conspiracies in the modern world, which is great fun but really really wierd.

Also about to start a game called baylon prime which is a time travel game where you have to try and correct things other people have done to the time line. Not sure how the game works yet but looking forward to playing it.

I was going to try and do something similar with my GURPS campaign so that my players could see the extent of the timeline I've built (millenia), but the original idea becam unfeasable. So now I'm working it another way, and it seems to be working.
If you can pull it off your players will absolutely adore it.

View PostTapper, on Apr 23 2009, 09:54 AM, said:

Haven't played anything in ages, but I had a Paranoia! game planned and was working on a Deadlands setting (also because my playgroup is used to a d10 system and this would blend in). Paranoia because it allows laughs and mindless violence and Deadlands because a zombie-western is just too awesome.

We played an All Flesh Must Be Eaten game a few months back. Lasted for about 5 sessions and the game ended, because we were too good.
We shot first and asked questions later.
Though after the crisis the police were after us.

Your's sounds like awesome fun, I have to say, I haven't played paranoia, but I have read about it and it's very psychotic.
The Pub is Always Open

Proud supporter of the Wolves of Winter. Glory be to her Majesty, The Lady Snow.

RodeoRanch said:

You're a rock.

#6 User is offline   Valgard 

Posted 24 April 2009 - 10:52 AM

View PostDarkwatch, on Apr 24 2009, 03:31 AM, said:

I was going to try and do something similar with my GURPS campaign so that my players could see the extent of the timeline I've built (millenia), but the original idea becam unfeasable. So now I'm working it another way, and it seems to be working.
If you can pull it off your players will absolutely adore it.

I can't take credit for running it am not gm material I just play in the games currently. The gm I do have is very good though so the time travel game should be cool.

Also forgot to mention I will be playing in a long term amber diceless rpg game which is a great fun with about 20 players at once playing doing this together and acting as a group. The last character I played in the game was anomander rake so that was amusing.

Good luck with the game though they sound like fun.

#7 User is offline   Darkwatch 

• A Strange Human

Posted 24 April 2009 - 06:09 PM

Thanks.
It's fun, the three main players I got are pretty good, ones an engineer with weird science, the other is a Retard with a shovel and the last is an old Martian racist.

What is this Amber game?
The Pub is Always Open

RodeoRanch said:

You're a rock.

#8 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 24 April 2009 - 09:07 PM

View PostDarkwatch, on Apr 24 2009, 08:09 PM, said:

What is this Amber game?

Amber - Roger Zelazny's world.

you play a minor prince of Amber, and there are no dice in the game - instead, at the start of the game, everyone bids for stats (1st to Xth place) per stat, to determine who beats who and how the division of abilities in the group is. I bought the pdf mainly to see what the hype was about, never ran anything with it.
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#9 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 24 April 2009 - 10:38 PM

I had an abortive game going as a short mid-other-campaign game where the party were classic pirates who sailed into the Bermuda Triangle on Earth and ended up in a reversed Earth where the sea was land and the land sea. Their ship dropped literally from the sky into the (pseudoCaribbeanananan) Desert onto the front of an enormous dead megacentipede rendered mobile by a load of cold elementals sealed in the head and a load of fire elementals sealed in the tail causing enough temperature difference in the metal endoskeleton to create enough voltage to move the legs. It was going really well for two sessions before no less than two party members cheated on their other halves, also in the game, and it exploded. I'll just reuse it for a later game, I suppose.

This post has been edited by Illuyankas: 24 April 2009 - 10:38 PM

Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#10 User is offline   Valgard 

Posted 27 April 2009 - 10:13 AM

View PostTapper, on Apr 24 2009, 10:07 PM, said:

What is this Amber game?

you play a minor prince of Amber, and there are no dice in the game - instead, at the start of the game, everyone bids for stats (1st to Xth place) per stat, to determine who beats who and how the division of abilities in the group is. I bought the pdf mainly to see what the hype was about, never ran anything with it.

Yep that is the one, but we are using a different version of the rules and in fact a different background based upon the actions of the last campaign we played in. The Previous game lasted about 10 years of which I joined three years from the end. The game is only played intermittently in small groups of about 5 characters at once from a total pool of about 15-20 players. This game should last about 3 years.

#11 User is offline   Darkwatch 

• A Strange Human

Posted 27 April 2009 - 11:09 PM

View PostValgard, on Apr 27 2009, 06:13 AM, said:

What is this Amber game?

Yep that is the one, but we are using a different version of the rules and in fact a different background based upon the actions of the last campaign we played in. The Previous game lasted about 10 years of which I joined three years from the end. The game is only played intermittently in small groups of about 5 characters at once from a total pool of about 15-20 players. This game should last about 3 years.

10 years, that is some pretty epic gaming right there.
I know the main Stargate setting my friend ran was 8 years long.
What was the driving plot?
The Pub is Always Open

RodeoRanch said:

You're a rock.

#12 User is offline   Valgard 

Posted 28 April 2009 - 08:20 AM

View PostDarkwatch, on Apr 28 2009, 12:09 AM, said:

View PostValgard, on Apr 27 2009, 06:13 AM, said:

What is this Amber game?

10 years, that is some pretty epic gaming right there.
I know the main Stargate setting my friend ran was 8 years long.
What was the driving plot?

The Plot was long wide-ranging one but when I joined it was about the ending of the multiverse we had to attempt to stop reality falling apart or at least make a new reality and save as much as we could. Thanks to a lot of player interference keeping reality going was not an option as a couple of them managed to blow up the one item that could save reality. So we had to build a new one and it is the new one we are going to be playing in now. The main benefit of amber is that is isn't like a weekly game but more a once in while thing and a lot of it is player driven. So there is a lot less for the gm to handle than in a normal game. There is still a lot of work though but we have a very good gm who was able to keep on top of it.

#13 User is offline   Silander 

• Sergeant

Posted 21 May 2009 - 12:17 PM

I've just started running a Malazan campaign. I've got 5 players and we are using the Gurps system.
It's set way back before Laseen took over and just before the Malazans smash the Untan knights and thus Unta's power.
The Players sign up to be in the Marines and the first few weeks of the game was them in training.
I also made up the charac, sheets and personalities for the NPC's in the game.
So, they were ex thieves, bakers and disgraced acolytes. They all started as 30 point characters (which is really super average). They spent three sessions (maybe 4) training.
In the last week of their training on Malaz island, they were in the woods, practising Malazan hand signals and stealth etc.
Illusory attackers were to assail their position and see if they could deal with it (kinda like what Kulp does in DHG).
Instead something odd happens, they aren't sure what happened but they were taken to another warren, or they mass hallucinated a vast scene of apocalyptic destruction (I'm not saying which even though they have questions aplenty), then a meteorite struck their position and one of them found that when it hit it seemed to be some sort of weird elongated jewel. The scene reverted to normal with their NCO shouting their names looking for them.
Turns out they were missing for 8 hrs and only they can see the red Jewel.

One of the NPCS suggested that they get a squad tattoo and much to my delight they all did.
The player who is the CPl, designed it. It looks awesome.
Last week was their first session as Marines. Everyone has stopped calling them recruits. They faced their first enemy.
As the fleet was heading into the Bay to land marines to invade Cawn, more ships peeled off East to take Halas.
Intell said there weren't any mages to oppose them in Halas as they had soldiery sent to Cawn. (The books point out somewhere that this area took longer to subdue because of the constantly shifting alliances).
So in order to bleed the city's troops away from Cawn, they were attacking Halas.
Any ways, it turns out a mage attacks the Ships, from a tower on a promontory overlooking the bay. Two full squads put ashore and scale the shore/cliff and assault the tower.
After breaking in, they fight and kill two summoned 'things'. No one has enough occult to say exactly what they are but demons of some sort.
They then try to knock out the walls with sorcery but that doesn't work too well and the Wizard rounds on them, they take him out (they get some very good rolls, he got some very bad ones).
Then the 4th Squad mage - Booker (an NPC) points out there are presences in another room, it's conformed by their own mage and as they kick in the door, they are just in time to see two figures disappear into a warren.
There are two figures thrust up on the floor. One was an apprentice to the Wizard who, it seems, was really more of an academic/alchemist and a younger mute girl, who maybe some sort of postal bride they think.
One of the NPCs in their own squad claims the warren they fled into was that of D'rek (which gets him some odd glances, he also claims not to be a mage).
The mage was threatened - if he didn't attack the fleet then they would kill his loved ones.

So I left it there. Their first encounter wasn't as straight forward as they would like and has left them with questions.
The next session is tonight and I'm looking forward to running it.

#14 User is offline   Stiehl9s 

• Ascended

Posted 20 July 2009 - 02:09 PM

^ sounds like a very cool campaign.

ive been playing in a 3.5 edition d&d campaign set in the Forgotten Realms for about 8 years with 2-4 players averaging 35th level now

the Band of the Unwilling (our party) is involved in an ongoing battle against Sharran cutlists who are bent on bringing the Void of Oblivion to the Prime Material Plane.

we are now preparing to assualt the plane of Shadow and Volume Vax to stop this plan and hopefully our wisdom draining nightmares as well

#15 User is offline   Darkwatch 

• A Strange Human

Posted 24 July 2009 - 03:26 PM

My Sci-Fi campaign is suffering a bit of stagnation at the moment since getting everyone together is kind of difficult, though my main character has been playing, having solo experiences on his way to Horizon (space station on the edge of the Solar System).
He managed to un-anchor himself from his home dimension and began drifting through dimensions. Finally got back and just suffered a psychotic episode.
I'm having a bit of trouble playing the psychological aspect at least on a longer term.

My other problem is that the other players are hard to GM. One's a Martian cowboy, the other an 7 foot tall Hyperion of a man who is a retard with power armour who acts as a mount for the cowboy. As such not bad players, but I can't seem to manage to get them long term goals (other than making a distillery) which sucks for motivation.
The other is a pilot and he is hard to find story lines for.
The last has only been played once.

I'm open to any suggestions.
The Pub is Always Open

RodeoRanch said:

You're a rock.

#16 User is offline   Stiehl9s 

• Ascended

Posted 27 July 2009 - 10:25 AM

^what about a race for the pilot? that could lead to all kinds plot lines. getting a ship, fixing it up, keeping it from being sabotaged, scoring the entrance fee, fighting the other racers, etc.

This post has been edited by Stiehl9s: 27 July 2009 - 10:26 AM

#17 User is offline   Darkwatch 

• A Strange Human

Posted 13 October 2009 - 01:58 AM

View PostStiehl9s, on 27 July 2009 - 10:25 AM, said:

^what about a race for the pilot? that could lead to all kinds plot lines. getting a ship, fixing it up, keeping it from being sabotaged, scoring the entrance fee, fighting the other racers, etc.

I had that planned before my lead player decided to go running off on a 3.6 year journey to the edge of the system.
Though the other day I got him into the game a bit more, basically I let him get drunk then give him all the info the other players crave and let him worry about it. Also had him pull a recovery mission.
Otherwise things have become exceptionally bizarre with replicants, clones and robots.
Fun stuff.
The Pub is Always Open

RodeoRanch said:

You're a rock.

#18 User is offline   Jusentantaka 

• Emperor

Posted 30 October 2009 - 06:18 PM

RPGs are best served over Email. Unless that cant work, its a lot easier to keep things going than to have to get people with real lives together for a nerd-shindig (or nerdown?). Also, scenarios over wide open ended stuff and some degree of direct competition (a lot) I always found to be more interesting than merely relying on the guy/gurl in charge to think of stuff.

On that note me and mine just finished a sci-fi RP/wargasm set on the Moon as found in the second greatest of all video-games, Starsiege. I wouldnt really know what sort of RP rules were used to govern it (if any), but it seemed like a ramshackle mass of different stuff hammered together and then changed on the fly when something wasn't working. Apart from a couple hiccups with vacations and business trips it ran pretty briskly for having 8 participants. (6 months for a hundred fifty or thereabouts emails per player).

Most importantly however, us brainless gurls stomped dem' humies under our metallic treads. Exterminator-of-Meatsacks::Prime prevailed.

valuable question here: Is it significantly more nerdy to play an RP derived from a videogame than it is to be play one at all?

#19 User is offline   Darkwatch 

• A Strange Human

Posted 25 January 2010 - 03:17 AM

We played a great MM 2E (Mutants and Masterminds) yesterday.

The superheroes were:

-Phenix: A superstrong flyer who makes kamikaze runs and comes back to life when he dies. Basically jaded and laughs at death.
-Jewinator: A pile of gold the Nazis stole from the Jews gets hit by lightning creating a sentient gold pile that can take human form.
-Orgasmo: The only person capable of making Hilary Clinton orgasm.
-Hovering Thunder: A quadriplegic British noble imperialist that has a flying hover chair armed with weapons.
-Revolvo: A cowboy that can fire energy from his hands that makes "pew-pew" noises. He can also travel faster than light in space.

Our enemies for the night were:
-Frontenacman: a mutated Frontenac with a canon in his chest. His French Colonial marines had ak-47's.
-Giant Turtle: A Giant Turtle that had been frozen in the ice (think megashark versus giant octopus size) that thaws and comes to nest. The problem is it wants to nest in Haiti and it breathes fire.

Revolvo delivered the killing blow to both with hellfire blasts.
Orgasmo killed 1 000 000 people by accidentally causing everyone on Earth to orgasm at the same time. Almost died facing the giant turtle.
Phenix pulled an excellent exit after Frontenacman ("My name is 'I'm gone' *flies away*). Gouges out the turtle's eye.
Hovering Thunder shot Frontenacman. Blows out the other of the turtle's eyes.
Jewinator used his desert eagle to shoot people and keep Orgasmo alive.
The Pub is Always Open

RodeoRanch said:

You're a rock.

#20 User is offline   Soulessdreamer 

• Fist
  • Location:Hill of Bitter Memories, the City of Sails, in the Land of the Long White Cloud
  • Interests:Sword fighting, HEMA, roleplaying, reading (fantasy and sci fi), weapons and Gaming (PC and Xbox)

Posted 28 January 2010 - 07:09 AM

Currently playing a find the missing locals campain in the DragonQuest system. D percentile.

The setting http://www.dragonque...x.php/Main_Page has been runnig for about 25 years my oldest character's been around for ten.

TTFN
Imagine a world without such souls.
Yes, it should have been harder to do.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users