• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Elder Scrolls Series First Person RPG Goodness

#681 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 23 November 2011 - 02:35 PM

http://www.youtube.c...d&v=s8QqKxLthqs

wow. I.... that looks pretty immersive, truth be told.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#682 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 23 November 2011 - 03:06 PM

Holy shit. Seeing how far everyone is makes me realize how slowly I am playing the game.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#683 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:beer, party.

Posted 23 November 2011 - 03:19 PM

lol...I just learned the extra words for my first 2 shouts.

fucking long ways to go.

But if it's anything like Oblivion, I'll just play away in small installments over the next couple of years as cravings for medieval rampages come and go.

The thalmoor are fucking dicks! I ran into my first group on some random road outside Whiterun and they ganged up on me. Dead in 3 fucking seconds. No chance.
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#684 User is offline   Beezulbubba 

• ---
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 23 November 2011 - 07:59 PM

Just started playing. I baited a Draugr to chase me through a mammoth/giant camp. A giant yelled "four" (well not really) and sent the Draugr into the clouds above.

I'm really enjoying exploring... so much fun and addictive.

#685 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 23 November 2011 - 09:46 PM

View PostStudlock, on 23 November 2011 - 01:48 PM, said:

the Stormcloaks are rasict sonvabitches who happen to have a somewhat good cause but are lead by a self severing bastard

I really hope we get an Thalmor expansion, I hate the Thalmor and killed them every chance I got. Haaa time to go finish up the Dark Brotherhood storyline and then finally the main one. This game has ended me, to much to do in it.

Does anyone else notice the problem, here? :admin:

Just sayin'. But yeah, pretty much everyone is stupid in this game. Which is actually a good thing. I'm tired of an obvious "these are the good guys, these are the bad guys, and these are the neutral-ish folk you can become the leader of" kinda setup. And heck, SO MUCH BETTER than "hey look, you can join the Mythic Dawn oh no what's that no you can't WE TRICKED YOU LOLOLOLOLOOL" from Oblivion. Not quite in the same segment of the storyline, but at least you do have choices in this one. :crybaby:

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#686 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 23 November 2011 - 11:21 PM

Ran into my first bug today. When I talk to that Esbern guy to try to get him to open the door, he just closes the slit and walks away, and I can't do anything. Rather frustrating as it's a main quest.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#687 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 24 November 2011 - 12:44 AM

Decided due to main quest events to actually finally finish the main quest before doing the Civil War stuff. REALLY should have started that plotline considerably earlier, to be honest. I mean, being called unblooded when I have personally killed fifty dragons is taking the piss a bit, not to mention the explanations of draugr and the wall carvings and whatnot. Still, some of the shouts I have will make sieging forts fun.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#688 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 24 November 2011 - 12:51 AM

That is, it seems, a chronic issue with not just Skyrim, but Elder Scrolls games in general. "Untested", "Untried", "New blood", etc, etc...where is the simple check statement to see if this person is actually a newbie or not? Or "Those damn mages in Winterhold are so arrogant!" -> DUDE I AM THE FUCKING ARCH-MAGE WATCH YOUR MOUTH.

It would actually be nice to see your reputation spread a bit. Even back in Morrowind the only thing people really seemed to acknowledge was whether you were the Nerevarine or not.

It was most disconcerting for me when I started the Companions quests at like level 19. "Let's see how good you are!" Uhm, OK, guys, so while I might point out that I AM THE FUCKING ARCH-MAGE, THE LISTENER OF THE DARK BROTHERHOOD and A FUCKING WORLD-RENOWNED DRAGON KILLING SUPERGOD, at the very least you heard about me becoming Thane in your OWN FUCKING TOWN, didn't you? It doesn't matter that I can probably one-shot your best guy, huh? Oh, wait, that's right, you get bitchy in that little duel because I'm using an ENCHANTED WEAPON - sorry, guys, I actually only have enchanted weapons because contrary to expectations I'm not level frakking one!
I hate quests built to start at early levels. :crybaby:

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#689 User is offline   Studlock 

• First Sword

Posted 24 November 2011 - 01:43 AM

View PostSilencer, on 23 November 2011 - 09:46 PM, said:

View PostStudlock, on 23 November 2011 - 01:48 PM, said:

the Stormcloaks are rasict sonvabitches who happen to have a somewhat good cause but are lead by a self severing bastard

I really hope we get an Thalmor expansion, I hate the Thalmor and killed them every chance I got. Haaa time to go finish up the Dark Brotherhood storyline and then finally the main one. This game has ended me, to much to do in it.

Does anyone else notice the problem, here? :admin:

Just sayin'. But yeah, pretty much everyone is stupid in this game. Which is actually a good thing. I'm tired of an obvious "these are the good guys, these are the bad guys, and these are the neutral-ish folk you can become the leader of" kinda setup. And heck, SO MUCH BETTER than "hey look, you can join the Mythic Dawn oh no what's that no you can't WE TRICKED YOU LOLOLOLOLOOL" from Oblivion. Not quite in the same segment of the storyline, but at least you do have choices in this one. :crybaby:

Haha I just like having some sort of control in the outcome and I felt like I didn't really have any since both options were bad ones, I think a neat add on to the Civil War storyline would be if you could choose which Jarl's to stay or not, make it a bit more personal. And I am not being racist I hate the Thalmor not High Elves! If you find the in-game book The Great War it explains that the Thalmor took control after the Oblivion Crisis, allied with Valenwood and then went quite for 70 years which I am pretty sure wasn't all rainbows and sunshine and there's also that one Wood Elf who's family was purged by the Thalmor. So it's kind of saying "man I hate the Nazi's, killed them every chance I got" instead of "man I hate them German's, killed them every chance I got". On a side note I really love the in-game books, in Morrowind and Oblivion I didn't really read them but some of them are really awesome.

#690 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 24 November 2011 - 02:21 AM

You should go back and read them in Morrowind - awesome books in that game, man! I like how some of them have made a return in Skyrim. :crybaby:

And I get the distinction, but the 'Thalmor' are simply the name of the representatives of the Aldmeri Dominion in other nations. Technically, ALL High Elves are part of said Dominion and wanted to push the issue. It's like Nazi Germany except where 80% of the population ARE ACTUALLY NAZIS. Bear in mind, all those Altmer you met in Oblivion who were arrogant jerks? Yeah. It's pretty much a racial trait. :admin: They've done this before. XD
It's also great to see that sort of thing being more prominent again in the game. They lost that sort of thing in Oblivion, where in Morrowind they happily dealt with the whole 'Outlander' bias, the slavery and slave trade being 'fine' to most of the population...I seem to recall a conversation where someone said it was fine to enslave Argonians and Khajiit because "they're just beasts", in that game. The attitude is atrocious, but it's awesome to see it portrayed in a game where not everyone is a moral pillar, and most people just don't give a damn. That's why I kinda like the whole "Gray Quarter" thing in...ergh...which city is it? Just having it there is cool because it says "hey, these people are dicks" and doesn't shy away from making characters like that and being unapologetic about it. :p

Shinrei said:

#691 User is offline   Lucifer's Heaven 

• Shaved Knuckle

Posted 24 November 2011 - 03:44 AM

View PostSilencer, on 24 November 2011 - 12:51 AM, said:

That is, it seems, a chronic issue with not just Skyrim, but Elder Scrolls games in general. "Untested", "Untried", "New blood", etc, etc...where is the simple check statement to see if this person is actually a newbie or not? Or "Those damn mages in Winterhold are so arrogant!" -> DUDE I AM THE FUCKING ARCH-MAGE WATCH YOUR MOUTH.

It would actually be nice to see your reputation spread a bit. Even back in Morrowind the only thing people really seemed to acknowledge was whether you were the Nerevarine or not.

It was most disconcerting for me when I started the Companions quests at like level 19. "Let's see how good you are!" Uhm, OK, guys, so while I might point out that I AM THE FUCKING ARCH-MAGE, THE LISTENER OF THE DARK BROTHERHOOD and A FUCKING WORLD-RENOWNED DRAGON KILLING SUPERGOD, at the very least you heard about me becoming Thane in your OWN FUCKING TOWN, didn't you? It doesn't matter that I can probably one-shot your best guy, huh? Oh, wait, that's right, you get bitchy in that little duel because I'm using an ENCHANTED WEAPON - sorry, guys, I actually only have enchanted weapons because contrary to expectations I'm not level frakking one!
I hate quests built to start at early levels. :crybaby:

I'd just like to say that given while I agree with a large portion of what you're saying, you must be a shit head of the Dark Brotherhood. You know the whole thing about not telling people that you belong to an illegal and hated assassin's guild? Especially not telling the FUCKING FIGHTER'S GUILD!
Also, they are the fighter's guild. Do you really think they're going to think you're anymore than a dress wearing sissy in a melee fight if they know you're the Arch-Mage?
You have a point with the dragon slayer though. And it would be great if they called you a dress wearing sissy for being a mage guild member. 'Cause they totally would have, the dicks :admin:
"So how'd you save the world?"
"Averted the rapture by drowning the baby Jesus in his own tears"

#692 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 24 November 2011 - 04:05 AM

View PostLucifer, on 24 November 2011 - 03:44 AM, said:

I'd just like to say that given while I agree with a large portion of what you're saying, you must be a shit head of the Dark Brotherhood. You know the whole thing about not telling people that you belong to an illegal and hated assassin's guild? Especially not telling the FUCKING FIGHTER'S GUILD!
Also, they are the fighter's guild. Do you really think they're going to think you're anymore than a dress wearing sissy in a melee fight if they know you're the Arch-Mage?
You have a point with the dragon slayer though. And it would be great if they called you a dress wearing sissy for being a mage guild member. 'Cause they totally would have, the dicks :admin:

*ahem*

View PostSilencer, on 19 November 2011 - 11:20 PM, said:

My LEAST favourite guard saying (because it's ridiculous): "Psst. I know who you are. Hail Sithis!"

I mean...WTF IS UP WITH THAT?!?!??!?! Worst. Assassin. EVER. :crybaby: And they *still* don't let me get away with murder. Those bastards. XD

I rest my case, good sir. The game MAKES you a terrible Listener. What is up with that? :p

And my point is more along the line of accomplishments, anyway. They aren't the "Fighter's Guild" they're "the Companions" and they go around doing quests. They're worried about my efficacy. MY EFFICACY IS NOT IN QUESTION AT THIS POINT IN THE GAME. It stands to reason that, in a stand-up fight, I could WTFpwn them in at least two different ways - that's WITHOUT considering I kill most of my dragons with a frakking Katana. My Arch-Mage abilities pretty much preclude them from being able to touch me, and the amount of pain I can perforce dish out prevents ANYONE from calling me a sissy. The amount of blood I've spilled as a PROFESSIONAL ASSASSIN also thoroughly trounces any notion of sissy-hood (unless we mean sisterhood, in which case, well...XD). And further to that my skills as a profession assassin mean I could cut them all to pieces faster than they can draw their damn swords.
If anyone's arrogance needs to be questioned by townsfolk, it's the fucking Companion's. They're more arrogant than the Thalmor. :p

Shinrei said:

#693 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 24 November 2011 - 07:46 AM

View PostSilencer, on 24 November 2011 - 02:21 AM, said:

And I get the distinction, but the 'Thalmor' are simply the name of the representatives of the Aldmeri Dominion in other nations. Technically, ALL High Elves are part of said Dominion and wanted to push the issue. It's like Nazi Germany except where 80% of the population ARE ACTUALLY NAZIS. Bear in mind, all those Altmer you met in Oblivion who were arrogant jerks? Yeah. It's pretty much a racial trait. :admin: They've done this before. XD
It's also great to see that sort of thing being more prominent again in the game. They lost that sort of thing in Oblivion, where in Morrowind they happily dealt with the whole 'Outlander' bias, the slavery and slave trade being 'fine' to most of the population...I seem to recall a conversation where someone said it was fine to enslave Argonians and Khajiit because "they're just beasts", in that game. The attitude is atrocious, but it's awesome to see it portrayed in a game where not everyone is a moral pillar, and most people just don't give a damn. That's why I kinda like the whole "Gray Quarter" thing in...ergh...which city is it? Just having it there is cool because it says "hey, these people are dicks" and doesn't shy away from making characters like that and being unapologetic about it. :crybaby:

The Thalmor was an Altmeri government established in Valenwood during the formation of the Aldmeri Dominion (circa 2E 830) on behalf of the local Bosmer claimant, Camoran Anamexes. As Valenwood possessed no true government prior, the Thalmor served to maintain order in the region. It was dissolved a short time later when Tiber Septim brought Valenwood into his Empire. Years later, in 4E 22, the Thalmor took control of the Summerset Isles and renamed them Alinor. They later took Valenwood in 4E 29, recreating the Aldmeri Dominion.
So no, 'Thalmor' isn't the name of representatives, they're the altmeri NSDAP. Since the re-formation of the Dominion it's borders have been closed and no info getting out. They're not 'allied' with Valenwood, they're brutal occupants. They've used and abused the Khajiit and made them puppets. It also has to be noted that non-Thalmor altmer you meet in Skyrim are opposed to them.

On Argonians and Khajiit, to many mer these are just beasts of burden that just happened to pick up a few tricks, like talking. Now that is fantastic racism.
As for Windhelm (that's the city you're referring to), even there not everyone hates them dunmer. Not to mention the dunmer there aren't exactly saints either (see: the owner of the pawn shop).
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#694 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 24 November 2011 - 09:05 AM

Tell of me these companion quests, are they quests you get from your minion who lives in your house when you are named Thane or do I have to go somewhere special to get them?
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#695 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 24 November 2011 - 09:09 AM

The Companions are an ancient brotherhood of warriors, dating back to Ysgamor's original 500 Companions who came south from Atmora to wipe out the Falmer. They live in Jorrvaskr in Whiterun.

#696 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 24 November 2011 - 09:12 AM

View PostGothos, on 24 November 2011 - 09:09 AM, said:

The Companions are an ancient brotherhood of warriors, dating back to Ysgamor's original 500 Companions who came south from Atmora to wipe out the Falmer. They live in Jorrvaskr in Whiterun.

Which is the upside down nordic drakar, in case you haven't found the location yet.
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#697 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 24 November 2011 - 02:37 PM

This is pretty funny. 3-year old decides that a "swording of the people of skyrim" is in order...then the guards come.

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#698 User is offline   rhulad 

• First Sword

Posted 24 November 2011 - 03:23 PM

If the Jarl's kid says that I'm there to lick his fathers boots one more time, I'm going to kill him. I think if my sneak is high enough I could probably get away with it too.

#699 User is offline   Beezulbubba 

• ---
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 24 November 2011 - 08:29 PM

heh .... I've been walking around with an arrow that enters through my throat. You can see the head of the arrow jutting out the back of my neck.

#700 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 24 November 2011 - 08:39 PM

Last night my gf tells me I have 45 minutes to play before they wanted to watch TV.

Was it wrong that I told her 45 minutes wasn't long enough to do anything in SKYRIM?

At any rate, I get a few hours of play to myself tonight before my concert, so all is well.

Share this topic:

• 68 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users