• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Elder Scrolls Series First Person RPG Goodness

#641 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 21 November 2011 - 09:43 AM

Well, stuff hears you because your armor is heavy as fuck and you're trying to sneak-run (for best effect at low sneak, "walk" while sneaking). Remember that you also get a lot of sneak xp for sneak attacks (try with bows, easier to get one in, Less xp tho than melee).

And onehanded is leveling slowly for you? It levelled a lot faster for me than armor. At 51 my light armor was at like 68, while my onehanded was at 91... Stuff just died so fast.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#642 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 21 November 2011 - 09:48 AM

View PostGothos, on 21 November 2011 - 09:43 AM, said:

Well, stuff hears you because your armor is heavy as fuck and you're trying to sneak-run (for best effect at low sneak, "walk" while sneaking). Remember that you also get a lot of sneak xp for sneak attacks (try with bows, easier to get one in, Less xp tho than melee).

And onehanded is leveling slowly for you? It levelled a lot faster for me than armor. At 51 my light armor was at like 68, while my onehanded was at 91... Stuff just died so fast.

I sneak in enchanted clothes with +stealth % rings equiped, just to raise the level :)
Will try the sneak attacks, but if there are also quests to eliminate the Thieves' Guild and/or the DB, that might be an actual fitting option of that towering paragon of honor that my warrior is. Mostly on account of being too clumsy to break in and steal everything in sight.
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#643 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 21 November 2011 - 09:55 AM

You're not trying to sneak in front of them, right? :) And really try the slower stealth movement, it makes a lot of difference. Until I took the perk in Sneak to remove the difference between walking and running, I had to creep pretty often at 50+ Sneak and light armor with sneak bonuses.
And yeah, sneak attacks probably attribute to about 80% of my xp in sneak.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#644 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 21 November 2011 - 10:00 AM

There is a quest to kill the DB. When you get kidnapped, you can kill her instead of one of the captives, which will start you on a quest to finish them off.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#645 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 21 November 2011 - 02:05 PM

Yeah. You also get the "Blade of Woe" as soon as you kill her. With no enchanting boosts that thing smiths up to like 55 damage. I'm not even using daggers, but that things so badass I whip it out often.

I'm getting pretty close on the achievements. Im at about 80K, which seems to be the hardest one to get.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#646 User is offline   Kanubis 

• Captain of Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 21 November 2011 - 02:45 PM

Oh. You can destroy the DB? How would one go about getting kidnapped to start that off?
Captain of Team Quick Ben. Also teaboy.

#647 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 21 November 2011 - 02:54 PM

Theres rumors of a kid trying to contact the DB.

If you go into the kids house in Windhelm he'll offer the contract to you. Complete it. You'll get a letter from a courier saying "We Know". Go to a bed and sleep, you'll be abducted in your sleep.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#648 User is offline   POOPOO MCBUMFACE 

• High Fist

Posted 21 November 2011 - 02:58 PM

What the fuck is it with these Daedric quests? The House of Horrors one and the Namira one have both been completely forced upon me then railroaded me into eating baskets of puppies without once giving me the chance to say "no". Actually, that's not true. The House one gave me the chance to say no just so it could surprise me by forcing me to beat a defenceless old man to death with a club. Twice. Thank you, Bethesda.

I know I could just not do them, but in an RPG, I'd kind of appreciate the option to turn down quests, and to have dialogue options other than "HELLZ YEAH" and "TELL ME WHO NEEDS TO DIE" when told to lure in and eat a benevolent, innocent priest halfway through what I thought was a charitable quest about clearing up a tomb disturbance. 8 out of my 10 non-miscellanous journal quests are now deactivated quests I don't want and never intended to start and having uncompleted quests in my journal bothers my gaming OCD greatly :)

Still having a blast with the game, though the main quest has taken a disappointing turn (just finished Alduin's Bane) and the dungeons are getting to be pretty samey corridors.

#649 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 21 November 2011 - 03:01 PM

They're daedric quests, daedra are generally pretty fucked up, live with it or don't go near.

#650 User is offline   POOPOO MCBUMFACE 

• High Fist

Posted 21 November 2011 - 05:12 PM

That's my point, you only find out they're fucked up Daedric quests once you've undergone the generally altruistic beginning part - which tends to come via a servant of the Nine requesting your help or something - and then your character becomes a bloodthirsty lunatic whose only option is to eat a bucket of puppies. And if you say no, the quest just... continues anyway. The Molag Bal and Namira quests are the only two that have been really bad, but I got them within ten minutes of each other walking through the city, so it felt kind of prominent. You can walk away and leave it unfinished, I guess, but both of those quests seemed perfect for a good option, or at least an opportunity for refusal. The Namira one, especially, went like this:

Spoiler

I just hate having unfinished quests cluttering my journal :)

This post has been edited by POOPOO MCBUMFACE: 21 November 2011 - 05:15 PM

#651 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 21 November 2011 - 05:38 PM

I only get to play when the TV is free at my girlfriends (where my X-Box is) place, so that limits my leveling. I'm currently Level 20 and while I am still enjoying it I feel like the Mage College quests are a little ho-hum.

I was doing the thieves guild stuff and what-her-nuts sent me out to poison the Honningbrew Meadery stock or whatever and I went down into the cellar for the dude who runs the place to clear out the "vermin" by poisoning their nest in the caves below the basement....and there was a fucking MAGE by the nest where the creatures are. I had a disbelieving WTF moment. Then after completing the vermin extermination AND poisoning the guys mead supplies getting him sent to jail...I tell the underling guy who will run the meadery now that "Hey., guess what, there was some fucked up guy in your basement dude" and his response was some shit like "Yeah, best we don't talk about that."

WTF?

If that story point doesn't show back up later Ima be annoyed by that little Mage-Ex-Machina so that the dungeon would be more challenging.

Otherwise, I am finding that smithing is taking up most of my time, and I'm just starting to enchant stuff now, so that's pretty damned fun.

Oh, and am I the only one who absolutely LOVES the Mage College building, constant blizzard, glowing blue magic spires in Winterhold? I would SO live there.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#652 User is offline   Garak 

• Emperor
  • Interests:40k, Star Wars, Babylon 5, WW2, A Song of Ice and Fire, the Drenai series, the Riftwar and all that followed it, D&D, Vikings, the Malazan Book of the Fallen. I think you get the gist of it.

Posted 21 November 2011 - 06:21 PM

Priest: hey brohaus we've been getting reports of disturbances in the city tomb
Character: that is not cool brozowski I will get right on it
Weirdo in tomb: ha ha bet you love eating people huh, that's me done see you at (whatever) cave
Character: hello broseidon the tomb thing is cleared up
Priest: thanks man you are a good guy you did a good thing
Character: might as well see what this cave thing is all about. Oh, some draugr, draugr are bad guess I'll kill them and see what loot's at the end
Weirdo: yo think you could go fetch that nice, good, innocent, helpless priest here and we can eat him
Character: Well that seems a bit- NO HOW COULD I REFUSE THIS GREAT DEAL I CAN ONLY SAY FUCK YES

There is a good way to finish that actually. Pick whatever comment you want and kill the damn weirdo. There, the priest is safe and the daedra has been foiled.
The meaning of life is BOOM!!!

#653 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 21 November 2011 - 07:22 PM

You mean you didn't twig the Pied Piper reference of the guy raising a rat army, Quick? I think the guy was even called Hamelin or something.

Anyway, I've not been on the forum for over a week because I've been too busy playing Skyrim. And not actual progress, just exploring the map - by which I mean I only got to Solitude yesterday, 49 levels and 120+ hours into the game. I still haven't even been to Falkeath yet. Hell, I found Sky Haven Temple before I got the quest prompt (Whirlwind Dash is pretty sweet for exploring sometimes but not as good as Become Ethereal for ignoring fall damage from any height), I've got all the shouts I can get outside storyline places (I really want Storm Call 3 for more BRINGING THE THUNDER), done all the Companions and Mage quests (the latter of which were easy as piss, and also annoying where my highest mage skill is two above my actual level which doesn't seem right to me), working through the Thieves quests, then I've got the Dark Brotherhood and whatever other Daedric quests to do as well as Thanehood and housebuying and then I could probably finish the main quest- oh wait, civil war as well. There's still so much left to do! DAMN IT I MISS HAVING FREE TIME

Also FaecesFaeces McBehindFeatures, you can tell what kind of quest is it by the header symbols either side of the title in the Journal - Main quests have a dragon, Companions a wolf, College an eye, Thieves a key, no idea on DB yet and the Daedric have the Conjuration symbol in them. Normal ones just have a plain symbol.

I'm rocking the Otar and Vokun masks with the Ebony Mail, and if your warrior is still having trouble Tapper then I highly recommend Boethiah's quest as its reward is the bomb. Shame there's no good two hander weapons from Daedric quests but three one hander rewards so far, but I haven't found them all yet and am totally for finding out where to start one if you know (wiki is cheating outside of bug fixes, fuck you Helm of Winterhold/Companions quest glitch)

And speaking of glitches, I hate it when quest items aren't removed but you can't drop them even after the quest is finished and they have weight.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#654 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 21 November 2011 - 08:25 PM

View PostIlluyankas, on 21 November 2011 - 07:22 PM, said:

You mean you didn't twig the Pied Piper reference of the guy raising a rat army, Quick? I think the guy was even called Hamelin or something.

Ah. Wow, I feel kind of dopey for not catching that reference at all. Thanks Illy.

Oh shit, he had a flute after I killed him too...

Damn, how did I MISS that?!

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 21 November 2011 - 08:28 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#655 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 21 November 2011 - 09:11 PM

Oh wonderful, Steam released a patch preventing the mod that allows Skyrim to use more than 2 gig of RAM to run, so that at least two of my friends, and a lot more people online, can't load their saved games any more! One in particular is stuck in an area with 9 cells to load and it's CTD country every time. Also new games for them are glitchy as hell, crappy shadows, horrible AA, 25 frames a second, all things fixed before and unfixed now. This is an exe altering patch that has similar versions for Fallout 3 and I believe New Vegas but they still work, it's just Skyrim. Seems Steam really doesn't want people to play it!
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#656 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 22 November 2011 - 12:40 AM

Wow, Quick...impressive miss there, lol! I was a totally caught off-guard by that guy, so I loved the surprise. Then I got the ref and was like LOLOLOLOL the whole way home. XD

@Illy - yeah, it also stops people from circumventing the Steam load. It's a 'patch' that ONLY makes the DRM harder to get around and more annoying. If I'd been online sooner (and you had as well) I woulda warned you. Only just read the news myself. :)

Fucking DRM...

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#657 User is offline   SylvanShade 

• Lieutenant
  • View gallery
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 22 November 2011 - 01:22 AM

How I've grown to despise Steam...
If I look back, I am lost.

#658 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 22 November 2011 - 07:26 AM

It's funny... It looks like yesterday Steam was the idealistic rebel crusader. Now he's the law, and we're the criminals. (guess the reference for a cookie)

In any case, the game's finally releasing it's grip on me. I managed to turn it off early yesterday and get some reading done (hi, dreams mixing up The First Law and Skyrim!). Finished Companions on my cyrodiil, think I'll go around doing local quests and exploring now. Shield of Ysgramor is pretty beast, but I'm dismayed that it can't be upgraded. Sad, really.

#659 User is offline   drinksinbars 

• Soletaken

Posted 22 November 2011 - 11:23 AM

the random quests are fun too. like how it makes the quest sup ont he fly - like muscle needed or criminal stopped etc. pretty basic bt a nice little distraction and adds life to the game.

#660 User is offline   POOPOO MCBUMFACE 

• High Fist

Posted 22 November 2011 - 11:23 AM

Encountered my first bandit dressed in full glass armour demanding 100 gold. Good to know that one's still around.

Good that I could kill the Namira questgiver, though. I didn't even bother since I expect pretty much every non-hostile NPC to be immortal - pretty disappointing in itself, feels like a step down after New Vegas letting you kill literally everyone in the game apart from Yes Man and still finish the main quest, but to be honest, given the dragon attacks and wildlife assaults, I can't see how else they could go about it.

Found a couple of really cool things while exploring. The wreckage of a ship called "The Pride of Tel Vos" NE of Winterhold, with a journal on board depicting the last hours of House Telvanni. They were dicks, but they were awesome, really sad read. Also a lonely little shack called "Pinewatch" which ended up leading me to an elaborate bandit lair culminating in a great series of traps and a proper treasure room instead of the mandatory and a bit artificial-feeling one-good-chest.

Share this topic:

• 68 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

57 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 57 guests, 0 anonymous users