• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Elder Scrolls Series First Person RPG Goodness

#521 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 15 November 2011 - 10:46 AM

You could always level smithing and make some.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#522 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 15 November 2011 - 10:48 AM

View PostPOOPOO MCBUMFACE, on 15 November 2011 - 10:46 AM, said:

I got attacked by super-strong hired thugs at a rather inopportune moment. The first dragon fight.

Hah!
I had a dragon appear at a rather inopportune moment. Was storming a Forsworn camp in the main storyline. Start fighting, then lo and behold, a deep roar and flames everywhere (or, more like, frost I think). Fun fun.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#523 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 15 November 2011 - 10:50 AM

View Postdrinksinbars, on 15 November 2011 - 10:46 AM, said:

View PostObdigore, on 15 November 2011 - 10:20 AM, said:

Apparently there are numerous Dragon Priests (9) to fight, and their individual masks to take. I must have them!

didnt realise thats what they were but i have two masks already. they come with good stat boosts like 20% for alchemy, lockpicking and sneaky. or increased poison and disease resist.

playing through as jean tannen i realised after a few hours when i fell into a dual war axe wielding character. once you bump your perks up in one area it really pays off. level 70 with dual wielding and i can kill a sabre tooth in a single double power attack. Awesome :p the killing everything in sight technique of levelling is also working like a charm. coupled with choosing the warrior stone at the start.

one thing about oblivion i didnt like was the length of time it took to level up. Even failing to crack a lock pushes your skill up in skyrim, early on you gain a level almost every time. awesome game :p

Now do you mean your Duel Wield skill is level 70 or your character is level 70, because I'm completely stumped how people are level 50+ already...
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#524 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia

Posted 15 November 2011 - 10:53 AM

View PostObdigore, on 15 November 2011 - 10:42 AM, said:

View PostGothos, on 15 November 2011 - 10:34 AM, said:

I must find them, and kill them. Their bodies are old and frail. Mine is young and strong. (whoever gets the reference gets a cookie)

Sounds like Conan.

Anyway, does anyone know where the Ebony Armor is? I found the gauntlets but have not found the other pieces. I have figured out (saw online) a way to make it so that as a mage I don't need to wear mana restore robes once I get certain skills up high enough, so I'm going to put some heavy armor on and then use nothing but flame cloak and walk through draugrs.

I got the shield in the Shimmersomething caves (near Whiterun, a bit to the south east in the mountain range there, a simple cave), from the chest at the back (in front of which stands a Centurion). Haven't found any other pieces yet. Making them is surprisingly straightforward, too. Anywhere from between 2-5 ebony ingots (5 for chest, 2 for gauntlets + boots, helmet and shield take 3 or 4, iirc) plus leather straps.

This post has been edited by Tapper: 15 November 2011 - 10:56 AM

Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#525 User is offline   Tapper 

Posted 15 November 2011 - 10:55 AM

View PostObdigore, on 15 November 2011 - 10:50 AM, said:

Apparently there are numerous Dragon Priests (9) to fight, and their individual masks to take. I must have them!

didnt realise thats what they were but i have two masks already. they come with good stat boosts like 20% for alchemy, lockpicking and sneaky. or increased poison and disease resist.

playing through as jean tannen i realised after a few hours when i fell into a dual war axe wielding character. once you bump your perks up in one area it really pays off. level 70 with dual wielding and i can kill a sabre tooth in a single double power attack. Awesome :p the killing everything in sight technique of levelling is also working like a charm. coupled with choosing the warrior stone at the start.

one thing about oblivion i didnt like was the length of time it took to level up. Even failing to crack a lock pushes your skill up in skyrim, early on you gain a level almost every time. awesome game :p

Now do you mean your Duel Wield skill is level 70 or your character is level 70, because I'm completely stumped how people are level 50+ already...

Think dibs means one-handed skill at 70 - it's doable especially if you hit everything you see and don't waste time magicking/ blocking/ shooting things - would guess a stat of 70 or so can be achieved at level 20-25, mine is at 50+ and I'm also shooting stuff.

#526 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 15 November 2011 - 10:56 AM

Didn't even think about making them. Perhaps I will do that. Got to finish leveling my Destro and then chanting too.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#527 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 15 November 2011 - 10:59 AM

View PostTapper, on 15 November 2011 - 10:55 AM, said:

Think dibs means one-handed skill at 70 - it's doable especially if you hit everything you see and don't waste time magicking/ blocking/ shooting things - would guess a stat of 70 or so can be achieved at level 20-25, mine is at 50+ and I'm also shooting stuff.

My Destro is at 73 and I'm level 19. I just keep seeing people say my 'level' is 50! and I'm flabberghasted because level = character level and ability level = ...

I've done 3 of the Daedra quests as well, have the Azuras Star, A cool looking Mace from some Dominator, and the Dawnbringer. Need to find the rest of those as well.

Edit: I wonder if Mordecai was one of the dragon lords as I have an amazing Steel Face-Mask thing off him that I got after I killed him while doing the Winterfall College quest chain.

This post has been edited by Obdigore: 15 November 2011 - 11:08 AM

#528 User is offline   Tapper 

Posted 15 November 2011 - 11:07 AM

View PostObdigore, on 15 November 2011 - 10:56 AM, said:

Didn't even think about making them. Perhaps I will do that. Got to finish leveling my Destro and then chanting too.

A tip that worked wonders for me: level your smithing and enchantment at the same time. Object of choice ought to be simple Iron Daggers. The buggers cost you 1 iron ingot (ore can be obtained for 7 coins or so), leather straps (easily made and cheap, around 5 or so) and give a very decent smithing level up. Problem, they sell for 8 coins and not a cent more.

If you enchant them with a stamina drain upon hit with the weakest soul gem you have, sell price is raised to 200+ ( I think I made around 250 a piece but I've boosted speechcraft with perks), which basically covers all the costs and leaves you more than enough to buy materials for several new daggers (soul gems being the biggest cost), as well as that of the magic item you disenchanted. In time, you can just fund your entire ebony armor with it, as well. Hide and leather armor also give decent levelling bonuses.

You can also smelt a lot of dwemer junk you find (large struts, solid metal (25 weight), for dwarven ingots, 1 ingot per 5 weight. Turn those into dwarven bows and you can run a very nice profit.

#529 User is offline   drinksinbars 

• Soletaken

Posted 15 November 2011 - 11:07 AM

the dual wield, i am like level 21 or something, but spend all my perks on the dual wield and it really pays off.

#530 User is offline   POOPOO MCBUMFACE 

• High Fist

Posted 15 November 2011 - 11:08 AM

I have figured out (saw online) a way to make it so that as a mage I don't need to wear mana restore robes once I get certain skills up high enough, so I'm going to put some heavy armor on and then use nothing but flame cloak and walk through draugrs.

How do you go about this? Would be very useful.

#531 User is offline   Tapper 

Posted 15 November 2011 - 11:12 AM

View PostPOOPOO MCBUMFACE, on 15 November 2011 - 11:08 AM, said:

I have figured out (saw online) a way to make it so that as a mage I don't need to wear mana restore robes once I get certain skills up high enough, so I'm going to put some heavy armor on and then use nothing but flame cloak and walk through draugrs.

Skills lower spellcost, and there are plenty of enchantments for every single magic type that lower casting cost even further, or increase mana regain. Transfer those to heavy plate and/or jewelry (2 rings, 1 necklace) and in theory, you ought to be able to flame on continuously :p

#532 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 15 November 2011 - 11:15 AM

View PostPOOPOO MCBUMFACE, on 15 November 2011 - 11:08 AM, said:

Apparently if you sink 8 perks into Enchanting, and level it to 50+, you can enchant a ring/amulet with -25% spell cost to a school of your choice, and it is additive instead if multiplicative. Apparently it does not go above -90%, but with the perks in destro adding another -50% to the cost, you are shooting off destro spells for 10% of their cost. Apparently the guy is double-fisting fireballs at dragons (with the stagger perk in destro) and stun-locking them until they die on the hardest difficulty.

If you sink another point into Chanting and level it to 100, you can add a second chant to both of those, and he suggests the +25% destro damage effect.

That would let me lose my +regen archmage robes and +regen mordekai's mask (both are +100% mana regen which is awesome) and put on some heavy armor with the chants of my choice.

But apparently absolutely nothing beats a duel-wielder with ench/alch/smith maxed, they can do over 1000 damage per normal swing using 31 of the available 70 perks, while having 2k+ armor, according to some numbers on a post on bethesdas forums.

#533 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 15 November 2011 - 11:24 AM

Wow, this may be my next time consuming project it sounds very complicated but awesome.

This post has been edited by Tattersail: 15 November 2011 - 11:25 AM

Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#534 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 15 November 2011 - 11:28 AM

View PostTattersail, on 15 November 2011 - 11:24 AM, said:

Wow, this may be my next time consuming project it sounds very complicated but awesome.

It, like lots of open world or mmo games, does not HAVE to be complicated if you just want to jump in and have fun. If you want to min/max, then yes, it can be complicated and since you cannot reset your perks without 'hacking' the game, better make sure you do it right :p

I need to decide if I want to do EVERYTHING with my current character, or just finish the story, level up a melee, then decide which I like better for doing EVERYTHING with :p

#535 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 15 November 2011 - 11:33 AM

I'm probably going to make at least 3 more characters for this game. There's a mage, then there's a light armor 2h barbarian, then there's a heavy armor legionaire.

#536 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 15 November 2011 - 11:33 AM

View PostObdigore, on 15 November 2011 - 11:28 AM, said:

It, like lots of open world or mmo games, does not HAVE to be complicated if you just want to jump in and have fun. If you want to min/max, then yes, it can be complicated and since you cannot reset your perks without 'hacking' the game, better make sure you do it right :p

I need to decide if I want to do EVERYTHING with my current character, or just finish the story, level up a melee, then decide which I like better for doing EVERYTHING with :p

Iirc the last game had a few different characters that you start off with and you can develop different attributes in each character, am I right? So the game starts when you pick the character you want?

Then you can either do the main "mission" or do a lot of different side "missions", "quests" whatever the game may call them. Does your character get full, so he cannot increase ability?

I ask the questions that some people may think but then be too proud to ask, especially when it can be daunting speaking to people who are good at the game and know what's what.
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#537 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 15 November 2011 - 11:38 AM

You just start. The race you pick effects your starting skills slightly (like + or - 5 out of 100 skill points, which is nothing for a 200 hour game).

Each time your character levels you get a 'perk' point.

Then each 'tree' has perks. There are what, 18 or 21 trees with 10+ perk 'slots' in each, and the level soft cap is 50, and the hard cap is either 70 or 80, so you cannot max out every perk with one character, but there is no reason that once your level and gear are high enough that you cannot pick up something (like my mage has never held a 2h weapon) and go swing away for a couple hours increasing your skill with it, even if you will not be able to put any perks into it.

When you use skills, they get stronger. Each skill has a level of 1-100. Each time you level up a skill it contributes to YOUR level, which grants you perks and either 10 mana or health or stamina.

This post has been edited by Obdigore: 15 November 2011 - 11:39 AM

#538 User is offline   Tapper 

Posted 15 November 2011 - 12:05 PM

View PostTattersail, on 15 November 2011 - 11:33 AM, said:

View PostObdigore, on 15 November 2011 - 11:28 AM, said:

Iirc the last game had a few different characters that you start off with and you can develop different attributes in each character, am I right? So the game starts when you pick the character you want?

Then you can either do the main "mission" or do a lot of different side "missions", "quests" whatever the game may call them. Does your character get full, so he cannot increase ability?

I ask the questions that some people may think but then be too proud to ask, especially when it can be daunting speaking to people who are good at the game and know what's what.

More or less, yeah. You can customize your looks, but there is much less character creation choice as in, say, Baldur's Gate or even Dragon Age.

As Obdi says, race influences stuff, it also gives you a starting ability that is sometimes useful (50% cold resist? Yes please) and sometimes not. The sex of your character used to have a minor influence on your stats as well, i think they continued it here.

from there, the game keeps track of what skills you use frequently, and ups their efficiency automatically after X uses of it. It makes sense to maximize those and aid them by spending perks on them - after all, these are your most-used skills, so aiding them is even better - but you can also artificially level skills through repeated use (for example, some spell trees allow casting them outside of combat - summoning a ball of light 300 times may not be your idea of fun but it will improve your stats) or through finding a trainer for them.

#539 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 15 November 2011 - 12:23 PM

I think I may have been afflicted with vampirism, this annoys me!
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#540 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 15 November 2011 - 12:42 PM

Glad to hear I am not the only one someone has a DB contract out on.

After I finished the Thalmar party infiltration and survived the assassin attack I tried to sell a horde of shit I got while in the Thalmar keep in Solitude, and figured I ought to dump some stuff so I could at least run...accidentally dropped my Whiterun Axe...and the guy who worked at the place in Riverwood came in as I dropped the extra weight and actually had the cojones to ass if he could have it all...for free! fuck you buddy, this is my shit, and it will cost you.

Had to go back to an earlier save and do some shit again, but I didn't like being without my axe.

I had intended to play it all night, but of course my gf had her cousin stay over so I couldn't hang out in the tv room. Blerg, arg!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

Share this topic:

• 68 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

26 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 26 guests, 0 anonymous users