• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Elder Scrolls Series First Person RPG Goodness

#441 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 11 November 2011 - 04:27 PM

Why is it I always feel inclined to make my character an elder General type.

Whatever, about an hour in and this game rocks my socks.

Oh and I got a t-shirt for being one of the first 100 people or sumthin'. SCORE!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#442 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 11 November 2011 - 05:30 PM

This game is getting so many good reviews. Kind of regretting splurging on Battlefield 3 and Modern Warfare 3 now. Ah well, It'll probably end up going 25% off during the pre-emptive Christmas Steam sale anyway.

Is it really true that Bethesda have released a relatively bug free game for the first time in living memory?

#443 User is offline   Avatar 

• High Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 11 November 2011 - 07:08 PM

I've been playing Skyrim since yesterday, but I think it is not something for me. I can see that is a huge and beautiful world, and there is so much to explore, while I've only sniffed around for some hours. But I miss the more story-focussed gameplay and strong characterisation of games like Dragon Age (Origins) and the Witcher 2. (And I guess the mountain environments, though terrificly made, are not my thing.) It's my first Elder scrolls game, so I can't compare with the previous ones.

Still, I will keep looking around for some time. Just found my way up the mountain top to the greybeards.

#444 User is offline   JLV 

• Stoned Swallow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 11 November 2011 - 08:09 PM

View PostAptorius, on 11 November 2011 - 05:30 PM, said:

This game is getting so many good reviews. Kind of regretting splurging on Battlefield 3 and Modern Warfare 3 now. Ah well, It'll probably end up going 25% off during the pre-emptive Christmas Steam sale anyway.

Is it really true that Bethesda have released a relatively bug free game for the first time in living memory?

In aprox. 1 week, someone will discover some kind of infinite money glitch. :p

#445 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 11 November 2011 - 09:11 PM

been so busy, haven't had time to get any of the great titles that are coming out, but tmw i hope to be able to buy this. cuz i'm already jonesin!
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#446 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 11 November 2011 - 11:10 PM

It will kill your NaNo. You have been warned. I got this, was sitting smooth at 25k words...now...now I'm fucked. Because I'm not going to be able to write any more this ENTIRE FREAKING WEEKEND. :p

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#447 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Writing. Martial arts. Sport. Music, playing and singing, composition.

Posted 12 November 2011 - 12:15 AM

It's downloading via Steam right now. See if I can fit in any quick quests before I go to bed -- am up in 6 hours!
It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about nowadays saying things against one, behind one's back, that are absolutely and entirely true.
-- Oscar Wilde

#448 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 12 November 2011 - 01:02 AM

Just dropping in between a whole day of skyrim and going to sleep.

It's certainly a lot better than Oblivion, and it does remind me of it, just better in every aspect, more or less. As for comparing to Morrowind or Daggerfall... it's a different game, I have to say. What they did with the skill system and throwing away attributes pretty much eliminated most of the meta-gaming experience from the previous Elder Scrolls titles. It is, I have to say, way more immersive due to that fact.

Also, the game world is huge. And so packed. I just dropped in in Solitude to rob a shop to "remind" them that the Thieves' Guild runs things in this province, some random argonian said to me as I passed him in the middle of the night "You look new. I'm new too, we should be friends." So, naturally, he asked me to put out the fire in Solitude's lighthouse so that a certain ship misses the harbor and shipwrecks in a set spot so that there's salvage.

This game will take me months to take apart piece by piece. Brilliantly done.
(also, if you can, I suggest having a DX11 capable card, otherwise it looks mediocre if it matters to you)
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#449 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 12 November 2011 - 01:38 AM

I'm lovin the hell out of this game right now. I've been playing all day and i dont think i've actually done anything yet. Its awesome.

But fucking XBOX console! The damn game has froze up 4 damn times today. Always when i'm leaving a building heading back out into Skyrim. Really pisses me off. :p
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#450 User is offline   BlackMoranthofDoom 

• Fist
  • Interests:gaming, watching movies, listening to metal

Posted 12 November 2011 - 03:30 AM

How many guilds are in the game, is it the same 4 as in Oblivion or are there new ones?

#451 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 12 November 2011 - 04:32 AM

I've only went as far as the first town and met "The Companions". Seems to be the equivalent of the fighters guild. And on my first quest.......I didnt kill rats!!!! Got to go beat up some chick with yer fists.

The other 3 i've heard called by name, but not met, seem to be the same. Dark Bhood, Thieves and Wizards.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#452 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 12 November 2011 - 06:07 AM

View PostSilencer, on 11 November 2011 - 11:10 PM, said:

It will kill your NaNo. You have been warned. I got this, was sitting smooth at 25k words...now...now I'm fucked. Because I'm not going to be able to write any more this ENTIRE FREAKING WEEKEND. :p

yea im not sure what i'm gonna do... im picking it up for sure, but i might tuck it away at the bottom of my pile of games until december. out of sight, out of mind..? mayb? i hope? :p
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#453 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 12 November 2011 - 06:07 AM

There's also repeated mention of joining the Legion, plus the overall faction war in between the Imperials and the Nord Rebellion (not that the latter is actually called that, but it pretty much sums things up) - haven't actually got to join anything other than the College of Winterhold and the DB, yet, and am mostly ignoring the hell out of the main quest, so, we'll see. :p

EDIT: Oh yeah. The accents. Oh God, the accents. HILARIOUS. Like, pretty much the one thing I find kinda 'annoying' so far, is the prevalence of the accents. I've heard a Welsh accent, too, btw! But yeah. A bit OTT, imo.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#454 User is offline   Trull's son 

• First Sword

Posted 12 November 2011 - 07:26 AM

Anyone else find they are playing more from the third person view than the first now? So smooth. I'm loving this game so far.

#455 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 12 November 2011 - 10:05 AM

View PostTrull, on 12 November 2011 - 07:26 AM, said:

Anyone else find they are playing more from the third person view than the first now? So smooth. I'm loving this game so far.

This. Unless I'm trying to shoot something in the face, but sword fights nad hiking et cetera are all done in 3rd person.

And the game world is beautiful... so beautiful.
The perk system I'm not yet convinced of. The bonuses you can get through it are insane - we're talking about a doubling or so of your armor value, potions being nearly twice as effective, et cetera. That must wreak havoc on the later game exerience - either mobs scale progressively taking not just your level but also your perks in account, or certain perks become either game breaking or must-have just to survive (mainly a damage and a defense tree).
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#456 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 12 November 2011 - 11:04 AM

OR the game is so well-balanced that you *can* take out any enemy without any of the damage/defense buffs, depending on your level in appropriate skills, but you can make it about twice as easy (not that this is necessarily *easy* even then) if you do?

Hah. Hahaha. XD

Shinrei said:

#457 User is offline   Beezulbubba 

• ---
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 12 November 2011 - 11:23 AM

Seems so obvious...

#458 User is offline   Jade-Green Pig-Hog Swine-Beast 

• Knight Seneschal
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Fencing, ninpo, didjeridu, good books, good films and irn-bru.
  • Pre-dinner mayonnaise -- it's good for you!

Posted 12 November 2011 - 02:14 PM

I got it this morning...but I can't get past the beginning stuff—every time the dragon lands on the tower (as I'm about to get my head chopped off) the game closes. Anyone else had anything like this?

EDIT: It's didn't like the default graphics settings—turned them down a notch and it's fine...I'll turn them up again after and see what happens.

This post has been edited by Jade-Green Pig-Hog Swine-Beast: 12 November 2011 - 02:25 PM

The love I bear thee can afford no better term than this: thou art a villain.

"Perhaps we think up our own destinies and so, in a sense, deserve whatever happens to us, for not having had the wit to imagine something better." Iain Banks

#459 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 12 November 2011 - 04:27 PM

View PostSlow Ben, on 11 November 2011 - 04:03 PM, said:

You'll never make it.... :p

Yep, I didn't last the day! I opened it up, unrolled the very nice map (better than the old paper ones) and installed it last night. Did what I always do with the character creation - messed around with it for a while before settling on the same type I usually play.

View PostTrull, on 12 November 2011 - 07:26 AM, said:

I'll have to try this. Having been playing Dark Souls, the FP view seem strangely disembodied - I feel like a ghost floating around the place, super fast, with no body attached. I want leather creaking, armour chinking, and a feeling of weight - right now it feels like I'm totally weightless? And so far I haven't found a single bit of the environment I can chop down or smash although it does look gorgeous. (I can't see why you can't look down at yourself though, it worked alright in Thief 3, which gave a good feeling of actually being there, rather than looking down and seeing... nothing).

Loved the first hour or so, being out in the wild with a load of places to explore, and skills to learn - can't wait to get into this some more.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 12 November 2011 - 07:01 PM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#460 User is offline   Trull's son 

• First Sword

Posted 12 November 2011 - 05:53 PM

Best experience so far: Giants. Accidentally provoked one, then ran my ass away. I got pretty far too, before a bandit tried to mug me. While we were discussing the terms of my payment (ie gold or blood), I hear a steady thud, huge footsteps. I couldn't break the dialogue, and the rhythm of heavy footsteps was approaching, growing louder each second. I yelled a bit. He smacked me during the pleasant conversation with the bandit; once and I died. The bandit fared no better.

Share this topic:

• 68 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

27 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 27 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Facebook