• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Elder Scrolls Series First Person RPG Goodness

#421 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 29 October 2011 - 11:29 PM

I'm certainly hoping so - a lot of what I've seen so far are much needed improvements (magic, that actually works like magic, rather than a single spell that does the same thing whether you're level 1 or 100, and proper assassinations), but moreover they're things with HUGE mod potential! And that's what will keep me glued to the game for years to come.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#422 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 10 November 2011 - 06:50 PM

I am going to the store in the AM to grab this first thing, and I have a week vacation from work ahead of me starting tomorrow!

Holy shit this game is going to eat my life!

Did you guys hear that in-game you can apparently get drunk at a pub, black out and spend a mission attempting to find out what you did?

That's fucking unreal. Love it.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#423 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 10 November 2011 - 07:11 PM

11 hours from now, the midnight releas across the street!!!!!

Super nerd will not sleep tonight!!!
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#424 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 10 November 2011 - 10:02 PM

Midnight release in my timezone in 59 minutes. Already added to steam and fully pre-loaded (gorram 5.7MB/s download speed!)

I plan to pull off an all-nighter. Coffee guide my path.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#425 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 10 November 2011 - 10:12 PM

I expect accurate descriptions of gameplay and other bits of info for you fallen brethren who cannot afford the game and will latch on to any throaway comment you put on this thread.

#426 User is offline   JLV 

• Stoned Swallow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 10 November 2011 - 10:15 PM

I knew getting rid of my xbox would come back to haunt me. I'll probably watch my brother player while I write.

#427 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 10 November 2011 - 11:04 PM

apparently one more hour. Fuck you steam for timing release according to GMT which is used by the whole lot of like 4 countries in Europe. Fuck you.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#428 User is offline   POOPOO MCBUMFACE 

• High Fist

Posted 10 November 2011 - 11:52 PM

View PostSylvanShade, on 29 October 2011 - 11:00 PM, said:

I don't understand these kinds of people, that choose to be overly pessimistic in order to come across as an avant-garde thinker.

Yes, I choose to be overly pessimistic. I couldn't possibly actually have different tastes; it couldn't be that my favourite genre has been warped into something very radical, very different to what I actually want.

Anyway, the game looks good for a laugh if nothing else. And probably not much else, since streams seem to confirm it as an Oblivion reskin with more snow and the occasional fire-breathing immobile cow to grind.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=lPYemAe4VzQ

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=ZpopmFeNR0o

This post has been edited by POOPOO MCBUMFACE: 10 November 2011 - 11:54 PM

#429 User is offline   JLV 

Posted 11 November 2011 - 12:00 AM

Do you prefer Morrowind, Poopoo? (lol @ your name, everytime)

I liked Oblivion. But it was the first I had played of the series. When I tried to play Morrowind, I couldn't stand it.

What a person experiences first factors into personal taste (imo) a lot. If the next iteration of a game differs too much from what a person originally played, it can be disappointing.

For example, I loved CoD4, but hated WaW and black ops, and thought MW2 was merely okay. I loved Halo 1 and Halo 2, but I thought Halo 3 was "kinda lame".

Sometimes, things differ a bit, but in the wrong way. And they are similar in too many ways. Left 4 dead was amazing, but the l4d2 was exactly the same, with melee weapons and new zombies that I didn't enjoy.

Ramble on..

#430 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 11 November 2011 - 12:25 AM

Apparently, as the pretty much only country in Europe, we'll be starting Skyrim at 0:01 GMT-5 (EST). Fucking COCKS. How am I supposed to sleep now that I pumped myself full with coffee in anticipation? Not to mention how fucking ANGRY I am right now.

#431 User is offline   POOPOO MCBUMFACE 

• High Fist

Posted 11 November 2011 - 01:31 AM

View PostJLV, on 11 November 2011 - 12:00 AM, said:

Do you prefer Morrowind, Poopoo? (lol @ your name, everytime)

I liked Oblivion. But it was the first I had played of the series. When I tried to play Morrowind, I couldn't stand it.

What a person experiences first factors into personal taste (imo) a lot. If the next iteration of a game differs too much from what a person originally played, it can be disappointing.

For example, I loved CoD4, but hated WaW and black ops, and thought MW2 was merely okay. I loved Halo 1 and Halo 2, but I thought Halo 3 was "kinda lame".

Sometimes, things differ a bit, but in the wrong way. And they are similar in too many ways. Left 4 dead was amazing, but the l4d2 was exactly the same, with melee weapons and new zombies that I didn't enjoy.

Ramble on..

Certainly. Morrowind's my favourite game. I'll acknowledge that as a factor, but ultimately, I feel like the "nostalgia" argument is simply misdirection. Morrowind was my first real CRPG, and through it, I found Dark Sun, Might and Magic, Wizardry, Icewind Dale, and all the other games that I've truly found to represent what I want from an RPG. Oblivion's a different path, one I'm not interested in. Honestly, I like Bethesda as a company and don't bear them much ill will - well, they banned me from their official forums for admitting to being a member of a forum they don't like, and Pete Hines called me a c**t once, for which I bear them slight ill will - but I just don't see many redeeming features in their recent games. I'm desperately willing to be proven wrong, and that's the only reason I'm going to give Skyrim a try. I want that Morrowind magic back, and I've had it from several games since, so it's not a matter of nostalgia.

Further:

This post has been edited by POOPOO MCBUMFACE: 11 November 2011 - 01:37 AM

#432 User is offline   JLV 

Posted 11 November 2011 - 03:04 AM

I don't mean to claim nostalgia. It's more that when you take a slight variation of something you love, it can be offensive.

This is especially true for bands. People who hear old stuff first <generally> like that sound better than when the bands inevitably change (ie avenged sevenfold).

I think your concerns are valid. I played both of the games, and they were nothing alike. I can't say anything for skyrim, but I expect I'll have my ear talked off by my brother shortly.

#433 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 11 November 2011 - 06:21 AM

And i jizzed in my pants.

Attached File(s)

• Attached File  photo.JPG (118.08K)
    Number of downloads: 2

#434 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 11 November 2011 - 08:07 AM

Aren't you glad yuo were already out of the not-self-touching competition?

Meh. This is what I "feared"... Steam releasing it at night. I have to work today, then have to clean the appartment I have to sell, and I figured I could get all of that done easily before 7 PM CET when Steam usually updates itself. The benefit of that would be that my self-discipline, which is horrid, would not be put to the test by temptation.

And now, I'll probably leave work early,hurry through the cleaning (if I'm even going there), and forget dinner in addition to playing until 3 AM and thereby entirely messing up my sleeping pattern.
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#435 User is offline   Kanubis 

• Captain of Team Quick Ben

Posted 11 November 2011 - 08:15 AM

Well, I like it. Still a console-orientated menu system but at least it's pleasing to the eye rather than the mess that Oblivion had.

It;s definitely got more soul than Oblivion, whether or not it's up to Morrowwind levels we'll see, but the first couple of hours are very promising.

I like that the quests log seems to separate 'big' quests from petty ones. If you're delivering a letter or just killing one guy, it goes in a 'misc' subsection. If you're off on a hefty dungeon crawl, it gets its own proper entry. Nice.
Captain of Team Quick Ben. Also teaboy.

#436 User is offline   POOPOO MCBUMFACE 

• High Fist

Posted 11 November 2011 - 11:52 AM

View PostJLV, on 11 November 2011 - 03:04 AM, said:

I don't mean to claim nostalgia. It's more that when you take a slight variation of something you love, it can be offensive.

This is especially true for bands. People who hear old stuff first <generally> like that sound better than when the bands inevitably change (ie avenged sevenfold).

I think your concerns are valid. I played both of the games, and they were nothing alike. I can't say anything for skyrim, but I expect I'll have my ear talked off by my brother shortly.

Yep, sorry, misread your post. Will try to post drunk - and ramble about nothing whatsoever drunk - less in future. :p

I definitely know what you mean, and I can't disagree. It's not really the game's fault that I had so much misdirected hope pinned on it - hopefully, approaching Skyrim expecting the worst will leave me pleasantly surprised. My parents got me a copy as an early Christmas present, so I'll soon know for myself.

#437 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 11 November 2011 - 01:30 PM

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEe.

Skyrim is actually GOOD. Like...OMG, it's not Morrowind (of course), but it's FUCKING GOOD.

I also have dibs on Astrid, you bastards! She's awesome and she's mine. Go find some other video game character to hang out with. :p

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#438 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 11 November 2011 - 02:10 PM

Okay. *puts coat on, and tromps out the door*

Off I head to the store to get it. Then I only have 2 or 3 hours TOPS to play before I head out of town for a pre-planned night away with the missus, and then tomorrow aft I'll be back at it.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#439 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 11 November 2011 - 03:13 PM

I can't believe I've had have a copy of this at home since yesterday morning... but I agreed to have it as a Christmas present!

This thread is kind of making me regret that decision.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#440 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 11 November 2011 - 04:03 PM

You'll never make it.... :p

Share this topic:

• 68 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

40 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 40 guests, 0 anonymous users