• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Elder Scrolls Series First Person RPG Goodness

#401 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Writing. Martial arts. Sport. Music, playing and singing, composition.

Posted 25 October 2011 - 05:04 PM

I played Oblivion on the console, and am getting Skyrim on PC.
It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about nowadays saying things against one, behind one's back, that are absolutely and entirely true.
-- Oscar Wilde

#402 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 25 October 2011 - 05:55 PM

My PC is ridiculously old and as my laptop was stolen (along with my ipod...fuckers...) a while back I will be getting this on the 360. I am so tempted to buy Dark Souls as everyone on tht thread makes it sound really good and when I looked into it it looks amazing. But given my limited funds I should only really pick one so Skyrim it is as itll likely take me longer to complete an have much more replay value.

I got my brother Demon Souls for xmas and Im sure I can occasionally 'drop in' and play it at his house :unworthy:

#403 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 25 October 2011 - 08:56 PM

PC is almost always the answer, and with a TES game it's a no-brainer. It will look better, play better, and give you access to the aforementioned mods, which are most definitely THE single greatest asset any TES game has.

I'm getting it on Xbox first, however, as I don't have a PC ready for that kind of gaming right this minute - though I might get it on my laptop via digital download or something just for the hell of it. I'll definitely be buying the game on PC eventually, though.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#404 User is offline   Lucifer's Heaven 

• Shaved Knuckle

Posted 26 October 2011 - 05:13 AM

I'm casting my vote with several of the people above: PC.
As said the mods are always phenomenal and as you pointed out the ability to control the graphics settings and the fact you will be able to run the game with higher settings all point toward PC.

A couple of points to note for the game.
All the stuff you've seen on the game so far have been the console version. So if you get that, the graphics will at least be that good.
Secondly, Bethesda have announced that provided you can run it, graphics WILL be better on PC.
And finally, Bethesda has released the system requirements for the game as shown here.

For those who don't want to follow the link:

Recommended Specs

Windows 7/Vista/XP PC (32 or 64 bit)
Processor: Quad-core Intel or AMD CPU
4GB System RAM
6GB free HDD space
DirectX 9.0c compatible NVIDIA or AMD ATI video card with 1GB of RAM (Nvidia GeForce GTX 260 or higher; ATI Radeon 4890 or higher).
DirectX compatible sound card
Internet access for Steam activation

Minimum Specs

Windows 7/Vista/XP PC (32 or 64 bit)
Processor: Dual Core 2.0GHz or equivalent processor
2GB System RAM
6GB free HDD Space
Direct X 9.0c compliant video card with 512 MB of RAM
DirectX compatible sound card
Internet access for Steam activation

This post has been edited by Lucifer's Heaven: 26 October 2011 - 05:15 AM

"So how'd you save the world?"
"Averted the rapture by drowning the baby Jesus in his own tears"

#405 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:beer, party.

Posted 26 October 2011 - 11:50 AM

GTX 260 only?

muahaha....my 560 ti should probably handle it then.

I did forget about the mod aspect. OOO mod for Oblivion was tits and I sorely missed it when my old computron died and I was stuck with the PS3 version.

ALTHOUGH

I do like to play PS3 games while I'm on the bike trainer...and there's no way a mouse/KB are going to work for that type of play. I suppose I can always pick up a gamepad and hook compy to the TV.

Anyone comment on running mods with a steam version of the game? I've only ever gotten a few of the total war games from steam and have never attempted modding on games downloaded through their service. Should I be looking for a DVD release of the game if I want to add mods later?
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#406 User is offline   Lucifer's Heaven 

• Shaved Knuckle

Posted 26 October 2011 - 12:22 PM

Well you can't not get a steam version of the game, and they're releasing the mod tools as always, so I assume that that's all taken into account.
Even if it's not, when I was going through forums for mods of Oblivion, there were some extra instructions for some if you had steam. The general impression I got was that modding the steam version was possible, just a bit more annoying.

If you're comp is close enough, an HDMI cable and a control pad are nice easy ways to pass the game over to your TV, I've done that on occasion :unworthy:

#407 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 26 October 2011 - 12:24 PM

View Postcerveza_fiesta, on 26 October 2011 - 11:50 AM, said:

Anyone comment on running mods with a steam version of the game? I've only ever gotten a few of the total war games from steam and have never attempted modding on games downloaded through their service. Should I be looking for a DVD release of the game if I want to add mods later?

I've had major success with installing mods for my steam versions of both Morrowind and Oblivion. It does make it a bit more annoying, what with the directory path and all, but the directory in steamapps for the games works the same as a 'normal' install for the purpose of modding.
I hope Skyrim will be the same, and quite frankly I don't see it being any different. And if it will be, the modding community will find a way.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#408 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 26 October 2011 - 02:09 PM

Anyone who watches XPlay, they're previewing towns and cites tonight at 530 CST.

Heyoooooo :unworthy:
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#409 User is offline   POOPOO MCBUMFACE 

• High Fist

Posted 26 October 2011 - 08:06 PM

Posted Image
Good to see Bethesda keeping their animation traditions

#410 User is offline   SylvanShade 

• Lieutenant
  • View gallery
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 27 October 2011 - 06:57 AM

View PostPOOPOO MCBUMFACE, on 26 October 2011 - 08:06 PM, said:

Posted Image Good to see Bethesda keeping their animation traditions

It is actually quite a step up, do you have an idea of how complex the scripting involved in this sort of thing is? You can't possibly nit-pick at this.

EDIT - Heaps of new footage of Skyrim, some reused, just bare through it, there is new footage:
... Since my hyperlinks aren't processing when I press 'Save Changes, I will just copy the URL itself:

http://www.g4tv.com/...iew/?quality=hd

This post has been edited by SylvanShade: 27 October 2011 - 07:15 AM

If I look back, I am lost.

#411 User is offline   Lucifer's Heaven 

• Shaved Knuckle

Posted 27 October 2011 - 07:27 AM

Lol, yeah that bit does look somewhat dodgy, I thought so when I saw it :unworthy:

But to be fair their animations look soooo much better for pretty much all of the rest of the time I've seen. Occasionally in some of the fights the things getting hit didn't react much like they got hit when they probably should have, but that was definitely in the minority of cases. We'll see when it comes out of course.

Also, as I just noticed it's not in this thread and it probably should be:

This post has been edited by Lucifer's Heaven: 27 October 2011 - 07:28 AM

#412 User is offline   POOPOO MCBUMFACE 

• High Fist

Posted 27 October 2011 - 08:39 AM

View PostSylvanShade, on 27 October 2011 - 06:57 AM, said:

It is actually quite a step up, do you have an idea of how complex the scripting involved in this sort of thing is? You can't possibly nit-pick at this.

That's true. It would be unfair to expect any more from the team that claims ladders are too complicated to script.

#413 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:beer, party.

Posted 27 October 2011 - 01:11 PM

Well they're not making a movie, they're making a video game, and if the cutscenes are scripted in the game engine rather than being separate cinematics I think that dragon looks pretty damn awesome.
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#414 User is offline   Lucifer's Heaven 

• Shaved Knuckle

Posted 27 October 2011 - 03:14 PM

That's kinda how I looked at it Cerveza :p (it did look a bit dodgy, but)
And yeah, they're very much just in engine AI reactions, not scripted. There can even be some dragon vs dragon stuff :) And apparently they work well in every environment, including attacking towns :unworthy: (though I dunno that they can do damage to trees or buildings or anything, still..)

#415 User is offline   Lucifer's Heaven 

• Shaved Knuckle

Posted 28 October 2011 - 12:50 AM

Well, that's promising...
;)

#416 User is offline   SylvanShade 

• Lieutenant
  • View gallery

Posted 29 October 2011 - 03:52 AM

View PostPOOPOO MCBUMFACE, on 27 October 2011 - 08:39 AM, said:

View PostSylvanShade, on 27 October 2011 - 06:57 AM, said:

That's true. It would be unfair to expect any more from the team that claims ladders are too complicated to script.

Oh I see, you are one of those people.

#417 User is offline   POOPOO MCBUMFACE 

• High Fist

Posted 29 October 2011 - 12:28 PM

No, you're one of those people!

They did say that, though. They're kind of adorably incompetent. Like puppies. I can't blame the puppies for what they produce if everyone is sitting them in front of a computer, making them push buttons, giving them treats and telling them how good their games are.

EDIT: okay, watching the new gameplay video, it actually looks a little better than expected. Even caught a few flashes of potential atmosphere! Raising my interest barometer ever so slightly.

This post has been edited by POOPOO MCBUMFACE: 29 October 2011 - 12:54 PM

#418 User is offline   SylvanShade 

• Lieutenant
  • View gallery

Posted 29 October 2011 - 11:00 PM

Potential atmosphere? Recite any other game that does atmosphere like the Elder Scrolls. It's all about immersion.
I don't understand these kinds of people, that choose to be overly pessimistic in order to come across as an avant-garde thinker. Sure, it's good to critique things, but not when you constantly nit-pick at the negative factors. It's insatiably neurotic.

It's like someone concentrating on the fact that there are no spears in Skyrim, whilst completely ignoring the many other new features.

EDIT - I just realized I'm borderline ranting about something that doesn't directly effect me. Sorry, think as you wish ;)

This post has been edited by SylvanShade: 29 October 2011 - 11:07 PM

#419 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 29 October 2011 - 11:13 PM

Edit: Crosspost with Briar King. This was obviously regards the SS/PPMBF discussion. ;)

Eh, there are always things that could be improved and, since Morrowind, I find myself compelled to point out what I see as flaws wherever I find them - in the hopes that enough other people agree with me that in the next game, Bethesda tries to fix them. Like, say, missing spears/crossbows/short blade skill/etc. If it's just one issue, I don't really mind (unless it's massive) but when it's many (like in Oblivion, including some carried over from Morrowind), you gotta say something. It doesn't, for me, mean I dislike the game - it just means I know that it could be a LOT better if said issues were gone. So I can see were PPMBF is coming from on that regard. Plus, completely ignoring these things makes you come off like a rabid fanboy as found in many CoD/Modern Warfare groups and console wars. Which is terrible. XD (Not saying that you do, SylvanShade, btw, just pointing out the obvious downside of too much optimism)

In this case, however...Bethesda have always been terrible at animation. It's one of the things they are really quite bad at - part of that was clearly the old engine, which is now thankfully replaced by an in-house one - but they have made leaps and bounds forward in terms of animation in this game, and I don't think the occasional awkward looking model pose is enough to complain about, given the game is not yet released, and we have no idea if that footage comes from finalized code or not. It's something that, even if it was in the full game, probably wouldn't bother me, and I'm pretty pedantically critical of my Elder Scrolls games because I love them so much.

Anyway, just thought I'd offer some input from the perspective of someone who is highly critical of the flaws in these games, who also acknowledges the huge improvements that are made in other areas. After the first six months, it's a lot easier to critique than rave, and it's more likely to have an effect, too. I can't speak for PPMBF, of course, as he is pretty well proven to be even more negative than I in regards to the games, lol.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#420 User is offline   SylvanShade 

• Lieutenant
  • View gallery

Posted 29 October 2011 - 11:27 PM

I kind of forget about the vanilla Oblivion's flaws. My game is so heavily modded that it is practically flawless. When I think back to vanilla, I realize that it was notably crummy most of the time. But it was released in 2006 after all.

But I think anyone with low expectations for Skyrim will be pleasantly surprised when it is released. ;)

Share this topic:

• 68 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

29 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 29 guests, 0 anonymous users