• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Elder Scrolls Series First Person RPG Goodness

#301 User is offline   Trull's son 

• First Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 22 April 2011 - 01:51 PM

I really hope it isn't just an action game... I liked getting my skills up through use and (repetitive) casting. I could farm Blade skill by enchanting heal on hit on my weapong so that rat would never die, no matter how many times I struck. Those were the better days, and apparently there will not be a return to those glorious rat beating moments.
Sort of a sidenote. Nehrim has the greatest rat killing moment. I don't know if any of you have played it, but theres a quest where you have to kill thousands of little rats just to move a couple rocks. Just mounds of rat corpses was all that was left...

This post has been edited by Trull's son: 22 April 2011 - 01:52 PM

#302 User is offline   Loki 

• Knight Commander of Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • WWQBDFTW?

Posted 23 April 2011 - 10:45 AM

Okay, so my geek cred doesn't extend to PC games and I need help.

So, I've installed Morrowind and I choose my name and the pointy eared grey dude says something about a guard coming and I wait, and wait, and wait - no guard and I can't move. I'm a gonna go out on a limb here and say I need to update my game, yeah? How does one do that? I'm use to Xbox live doing it for me.....

EDIT: It does have four discs....maybe I need to install all of them....where's Silencer when you need him???

This post has been edited by Loki: 23 April 2011 - 10:53 AM

Wry, on 29 February 2012 - 10:50 AM, said:

And you're not complaining, you're criticizing. It's a side-effect of being better than everyone else, I get it sometimes too.

~TQB~

#303 User is offline   POOPOO MCBUMFACE 

• High Fist

Posted 23 April 2011 - 11:02 AM

The guard doesn't come downstairs? Never heard of that happening... Morrowind is a strange beast, though. I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Silt striders floating over the hills of Balmora... anyway.

I'm assuming the four discs are Morrowind, Tribunal, Bloodmoon and the Construction Set? If so, you can safely ignore the CS one. Install Morrowind, Tribunal and Bloodmoon in that order (T&B are the two expansions). I think the Game of the Year Edition comes pre-patched - the patch will install automatically alongside Bloodmoon - but someone who actually owns it will have to confirm; I'm an old horse that bought each expansion as it came out.

Do that and try again, it sounds like it might be a one-off bug. Maybe he walked into a pillar and got stuck or something.

This post has been edited by POOPOO MCBUMFACE: 23 April 2011 - 11:03 AM

#304 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 23 April 2011 - 11:03 AM

I'm here, Loki! :D

You should have a couple of pop-ups which tell you the controls, yeah? Then you should be able to WASD+mouse your way to the door (IIRC), open it, and go outside. Normally the guard can be heard walking above you then down the stairs, then he walks to the door and opens if. If that's not happening...something odd is going on. Though you might not get the movement pop-ups until the guard arrives. He does take like ten seconds to get there.

The game wouldn't run if you hadn't properly installed, so that's not an issue. As far as updates go...you can just install the expansions. But the base version works without them, obviously...but here is the link to the updates for you: click here. For some reason they removed them from the main site and stuffed them there, dunno why...but make sure you get the right one (if you haven't installed the expansions, it's the top one on that short list the link takes you to).

Hope that helps you, Loki!

But yeah, try quitting + restarting, and possibly try uninstall+reinstall too...that's a really odd bug.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#305 User is offline   POOPOO MCBUMFACE 

• High Fist

Posted 23 April 2011 - 11:06 AM

View PostSilencer, on 23 April 2011 - 11:03 AM, said:

Though you might not get the movement pop-ups until the guard arrives. He does take like ten seconds to get there.

Yeah, you can't move until he's told you to follow him, that's when the WASD popup appears.

This post has been edited by POOPOO MCBUMFACE: 23 April 2011 - 11:06 AM

#306 User is offline   Loki 

• Knight Commander of Team Quick Ben
  • WWQBDFTW?

Posted 23 April 2011 - 11:11 AM

Okay, I have uninstalled it and re-installed it along with the other discs. I shall try it again....if you don't hear from for several days you'll know it worked :D

Thanks for the help :D

Wry, on 29 February 2012 - 10:50 AM, said:

And you're not complaining, you're criticizing. It's a side-effect of being better than everyone else, I get it sometimes too.

~TQB~

#307 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 23 April 2011 - 11:16 AM

View PostLoki, on 23 April 2011 - 11:11 AM, said:

Okay, I have uninstalled it and re-installed it along with the other discs. I shall try it again....if you don't hear from for several days you'll know it worked :D

Thanks for the help :D

Good luuuuuuck. :D

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#308 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 18 May 2011 - 04:02 PM

Skyrim's world is too big

Bethesda Claims Skyrim's World is "Too Big"
Platforms : Xbox 360, PS3, PC
Published : 18th May, 2011
Bethesda says that the world its developing in Skyrim will be larger, more varied and more interesting than ever. / By Gameranx Staff

skyrim wallpapers

Skyrim is larger, more grandiose and contains a lot more points of interest for players to visit than any previous Elder Scrolls game, according to its developers at Bethesda.

Speaking on behalf of his studio, game director Todd Howard told Norwegian gaming website Gamer.no that the developer counts "120 real caves, and more than 100 common points of interest outside."

"The game is actually too big," he said.

Howard says that "every tree, rock, cup and such" was placed individually by a designer, and he describes the world as "hand-crafted." Towns and dungeons are no longer prefabricated templates, as was the case with the cloned dungeons in the recent Bioware title Dragon Age II.

Skyrim's caves and dungeons are said to be diverse, ranging from vegetation-choked mines to a fortress hidden deep within a glacier.

"In Oblivion we let the visual designers take care of the caves, and we also had a couple of dedicated level designers who went over them afterwards. There was nothing wrong with them, but they could have been better," said Howard.

"We still stock them in kit form—it's something we've done since Terminator: Future Shock. The difference is that we're better at it."

Howard says that the map in Skyrim is as big as its predecessor, but that the game is different because of all the mountains that form the terrain's routes. The game will "seem bigger" than its predecessors as a result of the game's variety.

More than just a snowbound landscape, Howard says that Skyrim will "also have grassy tundra, volcanic tundra, and a forest with an autumnal theme and a glacier. There are about six or seven distinct types of environments."

This post has been edited by Battle Plaptypus: 18 May 2011 - 04:03 PM

#309 User is offline   King Bear 

• Furry

Posted 18 May 2011 - 04:06 PM

View PostBattle Plaptypus, on 18 May 2011 - 04:02 PM, said:

Not possible

#310 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 18 May 2011 - 05:12 PM

View PostQuick Ben, on 18 May 2011 - 04:06 PM, said:

Not possible

Word.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#311 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 18 May 2011 - 09:01 PM

Howard says that "every tree, rock, cup and such" was placed individually by a designer, and he describes the world as "hand-crafted." Towns and dungeons are no longer prefabricated templates, as was the case with the cloned dungeons in the recent Bioware title Dragon Age II.

looks like they looked at Piranha Bytes and took notes :D :D :D :D
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#312 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 18 May 2011 - 09:23 PM

View PostSlow Ben, on 18 May 2011 - 05:12 PM, said:

View PostQuick Ben, on 18 May 2011 - 04:06 PM, said:

Not possible

Word.

QFT, if it needed any more affirmation. :D

Shinrei said:

#313 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 18 May 2011 - 10:44 PM

now i just hope that some exec doesn't go all squirrelly and force them to squeeze it into something smaller. i am confident that my fears will prove unfounded though :D
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#314 User is offline   POOPOO MCBUMFACE 

• High Fist

Posted 19 May 2011 - 03:16 PM

Bethesda confirms that having dragons be unique, landmark battles with a finite amount of formidable and individual foes, it's far more epic and immersive to have dragons be generic endlessly respawning overgrown cliffracers:

http://www.rockpaper...limiteddragons/

#315 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 23 May 2011 - 07:17 AM

Oblivion 5 year anniversary edition

#316 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 13 June 2011 - 10:01 AM

I've actually gone and installed the Morrowind GOTY edition I got on Steam. Installed this mod (I just couldn't stomach the fact there's no widescreen support in vanilla!) and started a new game. Damn, this game grips me by the throat with nostalgia and immersion! Still. After 9 years.
Made a bosmer female Leliana (yeah, I know, cheesy). Going for light armor, marksman and short blade, with some speechcraft, mercantile, mysticism and whatnot to help along. Hlaalu, naturally. I've been considering actually using some other armor than chitin so that I don't look ridiculous, but hell, it's just so much better than netch leather or nordic fur armors. Where's my glass armor I ask thee!
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#317 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 13 June 2011 - 10:07 AM

View PostGothos, on 13 June 2011 - 10:01 AM, said:

I've actually gone and installed the Morrowind GOTY edition I got on Steam. Installed this mod (I just couldn't stomach the fact there's no widescreen support in vanilla!) and started a new game. Damn, this game grips me by the throat with nostalgia and immersion! Still. After 9 years.
Made a bosmer female Leliana (yeah, I know, cheesy). Going for light armor, marksman and short blade, with some speechcraft, mercantile, mysticism and whatnot to help along. Hlaalu, naturally. I've been considering actually using some other armor than chitin so that I don't look ridiculous, but hell, it's just so much better than netch leather or nordic fur armors. Where's my glass armor I ask thee!

I applaud thee good sir. I'm in a similar boat, every time I fire that damn thing up. *happy sigh*

Your glass armour, iirc, can be found in Molag Mar, in the Buoyant Armiger's barracks. Also some parts at Ghostgate in the Towers of Dawn/Dusk. -_- (Memory potentially fuzzy...use UESP if desperate...)

Shinrei said:

#318 User is offline   POOPOO MCBUMFACE 

• High Fist

Posted 13 June 2011 - 10:08 AM

You're not using the DB armour you get handed to you immediately? -_-

One thing I do dislike in Morrowind is the lack of armour variety/progression for light armour characters. Why bother using fur and netch leather when chitin is available cheap in Seyda Neen and easily acquired for free elsewhere? And that's without the aforementioned Tribunal armour. After that, you're pretty much set until you start finding glass.

#319 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 13 June 2011 - 10:27 AM

Curious thing, the DB don't seem to want to attack me just yet. It's odd.

#320 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 13 June 2011 - 12:44 PM

At least they get more than one piece of top-end gear by the end game. YES I'M LOOKING AT YOU, MEDIUM ARMOUR. Adamantium doesn't count.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

Share this topic:

• 68 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

29 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 29 guests, 0 anonymous users