• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Elder Scrolls Series First Person RPG Goodness

#1 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 19 April 2009 - 05:10 PM

Okay, so I've been playing this game on and off the last week and it's great.

But I have a question... what the hell is up with this character level vs monster level system?

Just travelling around the world I notice that pretty much any dungeon/cave is suited for my level, which I guess is this system I've heard about.

Now after reaching level 8 I thought it might be time to actually begin to do some of the Main Quests. I enter Kvatch and I discover this Daedra invasion. Fine I think, now its time to bust some demon skulls with this new dwarven axe I just got and throw myself right in the fray... and die right away. I retry I couple of times and realise there's just too many.

I've been playing with the Adrenaline mod which effectively doubles, triples or quadruples the amount of monsters/beasts/enemies in the world and this has been great fun so far - at one point I fought a running withdrawal from about 50 skeleton warriors through a big cave system... and won! - but obviously this mod makes special battles a bit too hard perhaps.

So I switch it off. AND I AM STILL GETTING MY ASS HANDED TO ME! What the hell, it doesn't make sense that, what is for all intents and purposes, the second beginners quest, is kicking my ass when I face more than one demon. And even one demon is almost too much. WHAT THE HELL!

So can anyone tell me if there is some kind of special levels needed for the Main quests or the level system is just fucked? Is there some tactic I need to adopt? Special weapons I need to find? What?

I've been hesitant to install that difficulty mod that is much talked about because I didn't think it could be right to use a mod that would so drastically change the way the game is designed.

This post has been edited by Roger Ramjet: 26 January 2011 - 05:17 PM

#2 User is offline   bubba 

• High Marshall
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:5.3%
  • Kill all the golfers...

Posted 19 April 2009 - 06:17 PM

Oblivion_Wiki

n00b

#3 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 19 April 2009 - 07:40 PM

Yes, yes, what ever, I'm not interested in guides. I was looking for some personal experience here.

I am however happy to see there is a difficulty scale I can toy with. I'll try that out.

Currently I'm through the first Oblivion Gate and there a tower full of demons I have to scale. Son of a bitches are impossible to fight.

#4 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 19 April 2009 - 09:03 PM

What kind of character have you created?
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#5 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 19 April 2009 - 09:08 PM

I went for something standard, he's an imperial warrior/knight

#6 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 19 April 2009 - 09:17 PM

View PostAptorian, on Apr 19 2009, 10:08 PM, said:

I went for something standard, he's an imperial warrior/knight

So, no magic then? Hmm.. the shield then is your friend. Hunker down and swing when they're inbetween attacks.. And keep the melee guy between you and the imps so that their attacks wont hit you.

#7 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 19 April 2009 - 09:39 PM

Yes. Also, some creatures are at a player level + x setting, so they will be slightly stronger. Honestly, though, you can go through that entire game and never die once. :D

Level scaling for the lose. Oh, did I mention Bethesda finally announced they were WRONG? Bethesda sorry for Oblivion

WOO! ^^

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#8 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 19 April 2009 - 09:49 PM

Find the mod that fixes the leveling system. Then uninstall Oblivion, break the disk, install Morrowind (and the graphics updates if you're a shallow whore who only cares for shiny things) and play a decent Elder Scrolls game. Like Daggerfall.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#9 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 19 April 2009 - 09:56 PM

YES! Illly is the man!

Someone who agrees with me about Morrowind. ^^

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#10 User is offline   bubba 

• High Marshall
  • View gallery
  • Interests:5.3%
  • Kill all the golfers...

Posted 19 April 2009 - 10:29 PM

View PostSilencer, on Apr 19 2009, 05:56 PM, said:

YES! Illly is the man!

Someone who agrees with me about Morrowind. ^^

When it comes out on PS3 I will play it......

#11 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 19 April 2009 - 10:56 PM

How old is your PC? Because Morrowind is a 2001 game...doesn't take much computer strength to run it.

Shinrei said:

#12 User is offline   Stalker 

• House Knight

Posted 19 April 2009 - 11:53 PM

Daggerfall, I'm glad someone else besides me remembers that game lol. That is old.

Also, the demons and stuff are hard at first Apt, but they stay at that same difficulty as you continue to get stronger. So my advice would be to run around the country and level up a bit before tackling them gates.

This post has been edited by Stalker: 19 April 2009 - 11:54 PM

#13 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:beer, party.

Posted 19 April 2009 - 11:59 PM

Apt,

You're right about combat difficulty. I found it hard at first even to fight one bad guy at a time. Still find it hard to fight 2 or 3 at once. They just get in at you on all sides and your block only protects in front.

Pretty much the key to fighting is to stay in the block position and let them close. Let them hit your block and when they're recovering from that you can usually get in 2 normal sword strikes or 1 power strike / disarming strike.

If you want to learn combat just go do the arena fights. It'll only take you a couple hours to complete that sequence once you figure it out, and it pays pretty good by the end of it too.

If you don't learn the block/strike timing then you're pretty fucked for taking on the oblivion towers.

Oh yeah, and when killing the daedric magic users that summon an imp to fight for them, don't fight the imp. He's only a distraction and killing him just means the daedron will summon a new one. Just bypass any summoned creature and hack the bajeesus out of the guy who summoned it. Magic users don't usually have much in the way of health or armor and you can kill them in about 3 swipes if you can manage to land all your blows before they pop a health spell/potion.

For some reason I found certain daedra are especially vulnerable to cold magic weapons. You won't see a difference with the big melee guys and the summoners, but the imps and the yellow kinda women looking things go down much much faster.

Oh yeah, and don't play morrowind if you like the combat aspect of Oblivion. Combat in Morrowind is literally like watching paint dry. Combat in Oblivion fucking rules.
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#14 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 20 April 2009 - 12:32 AM

Yes, because a 100% chance to hit is just soooo realistic. Hey, Morrowind may have been a bit silly in it's animations, and the lack of active blocking, but at least it tried to simulate you having your weapon deflected or the guy dodging. (*grumble*no unarmoured or spear skills and no crossbows*grumble*)

Ignore Cerveza, you don't need block. Just put your attribute points into Endurance if you're a warrior. And get better armour. :D (Or...use the block, meh)

Shinrei said:

#15 User is offline   Zanth13 

• We are not the same
  • Group: Kings of Drink

Posted 20 April 2009 - 04:54 AM

I bought this for ps3 today.Iplayed on 360 a while back and loved it, since ill be stuck in my room for a while because of wisdom teeth removal I figured I needed a time killer
You can't find me because I'm lost in the music

#16 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 20 April 2009 - 05:12 AM

Hope you enjoy it, Zanth. Given that this a thread for Oblivion, I'll shamelessly plug the most ambitious mod for the game:

The Dark Brotherhood Chronicles @ ModCraft
TheDarkBrotherhood.com - Website for the Chronicles

If you've played as an assassin and done the Dark Brotherhood questline, you'll probably know that it's pretty damn awesome, but that the after-quest stuff is just plain boring and lacklustre ("Restore the Brotherhood" - umm...yeah...doesn't happen). Well...the Chronicles, (SOON TO BE RELEASED), is going to fix all that. Hopefully (and I can see their private forums) it'll be released before the end of June (but "before the end of the year" is the official TBR date).
In the meantime, salivate over it's awesomeness.

If you want more mods, just search for:

For other guilds:
Servant of the Dawn
Origins of the Mages Guild

Misc Questlines:
The Lost Spires
Malevolence

No Levelled Creatures/Overhauls:
Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul
FCOM

Utilities:
Oblivion Mod Manager (OBMM)
Wrye Bash
OBSE

^That's for just general modifications - what most people consider the "most prominent" mods in their categories. Obviously, opinions vary (in that I very rarely use OOO or FCOM, actually. I love what they do, but it still feels like I'm changing the game), but that's your basic Oblivion mod list. :D

Sites:
Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages (guides, walkthroughs, info, cheats, and a medium-sized mod list)
Bethesda Game Studios Forums (official forums)
TES Nexus (formerly TES:Source, big mod site - most mods can be found here)
Planet Elder Scrolls (another big mod site, some people host here so that you have to sign up)

Yes, I haven't linked all of those. XD

Shinrei said:

#17 User is offline   Stalker 

• House Knight

Posted 20 April 2009 - 05:37 AM

Jeez Silencer, that sounds great.

Is that all PC only stuff? I'd love to see some of that on 360 but I bet getting microsoft invovled would suck, since they are very against free downloads. Microsoft likes its money.

@Zanth- drink a lot of milkshakes! Makes it sooo awesome to lose wisdom teeth.

#18 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 20 April 2009 - 06:42 AM

Okay. I've been fidling with the difficulty setting, now instead of having to hit a demon 30-40 times i just need to hit it 10-15 times. This makes it a lot easier, and instead I turned the Adrenaline mod back on which balances the ease with which the demons go down.

I get swarmed at times though, but it's fun. Instead of one there's always 3. This means that in what is supposed to be a hard room with three demons there's now 9 demons! Whoah.

#19 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 20 April 2009 - 07:09 AM

the easiest way to beat this game is to have three spells ready. One that reduces magic and electricity recistance by 100 on touch for 3 seconds. 1 that reduce just electricity recistance by 100 on touch for three seconds, and one that does say 10 electricity damage for 5 seconds on touch. Once your destruction skill increases, increase the amount of damage you do pr second. There will never be an enemy that can kill you again.

My favourite character though was a big, maze, shield and plate armoured Norse who had such a high amount of health no one could ever kill him.

#20 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 20 April 2009 - 07:14 AM

@Stalker, yeah, sadly this only for PC. Consoles don't get mods. :D

I have it on 360 and PC. XD Got it on 360 because my computer at release wasn't good enough to run it, and then when I got a new computer finally got the GOTY version on PC. :D

Mods rule. They make anything wrong with the game better, and expand stuff. ^^

Shinrei said:

Share this topic:

• 68 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users