• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Elder Scrolls Series First Person RPG Goodness

#221 User is offline   Stalker 

• House Knight
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 13 December 2010 - 03:32 PM

Not me for. TES>>>ME3, but I will absolutely buy both hehe.

Also, Todd Howard confirmed over twitter that an all-new engine is being used. Didn't say what the engine is, but the announcement is good news on its own.

This post has been edited by Stalker: 13 December 2010 - 03:45 PM

#222 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 13 December 2010 - 04:20 PM

It worries me a tiny bit that the devopment cycle for this game is the shortest they've yet done for any of their (recent) games.

Considering the usual amount of bugs, the fact that the 11/11/11 release date is more or less written in stone... it could spell disaster.

#223 User is offline   Stalker 

• House Knight
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 13 December 2010 - 04:39 PM

I wouldn't worry about it. It sounds like this has been in the works, but they were waiting to annouce it until enough progress had been made. I could be misinterpreting the quote (from one of my posts on the last page), but I don't think so. Like Silencer and I mentioned earlier, November is a longer wait than expected based on the quote, so there should be plenty of time to get rid of bugs and polish the game.

Executive Producer Todd Howard : "One thing I can say is that from when you first hear about it to when it's out will be the shortest it's been for us. It's pretty far along. When we show it, we want to show a lot, because there's a lot of game there to play right now."

#224 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:beer, party.

Posted 13 December 2010 - 05:37 PM

yays.

I have yet to actually finish the main campaign in the original. I've gotten pretty far along, done the Shivering Isles expansion, done the Knights of the Nine, but never quite finished that main quest.

I keep getting distracted by shiny things (modern warfare 2 and HL2)
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#225 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 13 December 2010 - 05:48 PM

The original? You mean Arena? ;]
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#226 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 13 December 2010 - 05:52 PM

Havent been on the net in half a week and when i hop back on I'm greeted to a trailer for ES and ME3.

Oh happy days!
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#227 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !

Posted 13 December 2010 - 06:29 PM

@gothos.

Never played that one at all. I played a good many games but never the original TES predecessor.

I meant vanilla oblivion campaign. I always get going on it and then end up sidetracked rescuing somebody or other from a troll.

Or clearing oblivion gates that turn the sky red when I walk by...I hate that. They're a good spot to make money too, if you sell all the crap you enchant with the portal stone at the end of each gate level.
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#228 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 14 December 2010 - 07:17 AM

Level scaling is a dumbing down of game difficulty, sir, not an increase.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#229 User is offline   Adjutant Stormy~ 

• Captain, Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 14 December 2010 - 07:33 AM

Level scaling also strongly disincentivizes playing anything but a combat useful class to any remotely high level.

Which is boring. BUT then again, Oblivion dropped so many skills (from Morrowind) that I'm not sure there were THAT many to level with...
<!--quoteo(post=462161:date=Nov 1 2008, 06:13 PM:name=Aptorian)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Aptorian @ Nov 1 2008, 06:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=462161"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God damn. Mighty drunk. Must ... what is the english movement movement movement for drunk... with out you seemimg drunk?

bla bla bla

Peopleare harrasing me... grrrrrh.

Also people with big noses aren't jews, they're just french

EDIT: We has editted so mucj that5 we're not quite sure... also, leave britney alone.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#230 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 14 December 2010 - 08:15 AM

View PostBriar King, on 14 December 2010 - 03:19 AM, said:

Fucking A! I had heard yrs ago that Skyrim was the title for V. Once again like ME3 that SUX we have to wait another whole yr for the fucker to come out!!!

I loved Morrowind and kicked its fucking ass, but Ive never beaten Oblivion as it somehow kicks my fucking ass since everything levels up when you do. I hope that V is little more chilled out in that department so I can actually enjoy it. Ive had like 3 characters have never been able to make it out of the Oblivion Gate in Katchim or whatever the fucking town is called at the beginning of the main campain...

I had the same problem when I started playing (go back and read the first pages of this thread).

The solution was to swallow my pride and turn the the difficulty slider all the way down. I then made up for that by adding more enemies to the game with a mod.

#231 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 14 December 2010 - 09:22 AM

Wait, Oblivion was hard?

EDIT - what an inane 3000th post. :)

This post has been edited by MTS: 14 December 2010 - 09:23 AM

Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#232 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 14 December 2010 - 09:25 AM

Stupidly so. At normal difficulty, fighting a deadra was like Temper trying to hold back the Tyrant in NoK.

#233 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 14 December 2010 - 09:41 AM

On normal? The first Oblivion Gate was always a challenge, because you were a pissant whatever class you were, but not long after that I didn't find it that hard, especially when you can give yourself 100% Reflect Damage and spell-stack like crazy.

Oh, and Illusion magic is so broken it's not funny.

This post has been edited by MTS: 14 December 2010 - 09:44 AM

Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#234 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 14 December 2010 - 09:42 AM

You... you can't be serious. Are you serious?

Try any Piranha Bytes game and tell me how you fared against your first Orc, Lizardman Shaman or even a Worg. I'll not even mention taking Trolls in melee.

#235 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 14 December 2010 - 11:05 AM

What the hell is Piranha Bytes?!

#236 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 14 December 2010 - 12:04 PM

http://en.wikipedia....i/Piranha_Bytes

Gothic I, Gothic II, Risen (I try to forget Gothic III ever happened)

#237 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 14 December 2010 - 12:18 PM

But what does that have to do with the difficulty of Oblivion?

#238 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 14 December 2010 - 12:19 PM

A contrast to show that Oblivion is pretty bloody effortless.

#239 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !

Posted 14 December 2010 - 01:17 PM

I agree with the level scaling being total BS...at first I didn't mind and thought it was fun, but there comes a point in the game where you really just wish you could go into a dungeon and whip everything's ass instead of being at the same level as the enemies 100% of the time.

How did bethesda update that in Fallout? Wasn't there level scaling in that too? I don't remember it being quite as distinct as teh scaling in oblivion.

I know it's hard to deal with difficulty without a linear storyline, where you can access basically 99.9% of the map right from the get-go. I mean, if we're talking about Baldur's Gate or Neverwinter Nights it's easy to just put harder stuff toward the end of the game since later areas are only accessible after you complete content in the preceding areas.

I'd like to see an open-ended RPG leveling scheme that goes with the main quest line. Every time you complete a portion of it, the world levels up too. That way, if you want to romp around the world and do quests at random, you're free to do so, but the wimpy enemies only level you up so far...forcing you go go back to the main quest. And if you try to do the main quest all at once, you get held back because everything levels up too much, forcing you to roam around and find quests.

Kinda like solo World of Warcraft leveling...where if you want to get to the next zone and kill harder stuff, you need to catch up your leveling first....except nowhere near as boring and slow as the grindfest that is solo WoW.
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#240 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 14 December 2010 - 01:31 PM

solo wow a grindfest?

when did you last play?

apart from that, you can have an open-ended game without level scaling. Some areas might be populated by harder enemies from the start, but I see this as a good thing. It strikes me as somewhat retarted that the whole world is level one when the main char is level one. If everything levels with you - enemies, gear, etc - what's the bloody point of leveling to begin with? Where's the sense of improvement? Where's the 'taking a level in badass to take out that nasty who whopped your ass earlier' aspect of RPGs that's so damn appealing? It's dead in Oblivion.

This post has been edited by Gothos: 14 December 2010 - 01:34 PM

Share this topic:

• 68 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

13 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 13 guests, 0 anonymous users