• You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big Movie thread

#7661 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 23 October 2015 - 06:04 AM

View PostGnaw, on 23 October 2015 - 04:24 AM, said:

View PostA Demon Llama!, on 23 October 2015 - 01:40 AM, said:

Its one of those movies that gets better with repeat watchings. Anyway, I have to return some video tapes.

The ultimate example of this phenomenon being Blazing Saddles of coerce.

Ah, what a film!

Anybody excited about the new Bond? I'm usually not too bothered, but I watched Skyfall when it was televised last Christmas and really enjoyed it. It's out just in time for my birthday, so may go take that in.
- Wyrd biđ ful aræd -

#7662 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 23 October 2015 - 11:06 AM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 23 October 2015 - 06:04 AM, said:

View PostGnaw, on 23 October 2015 - 04:24 AM, said:

View PostA Demon Llama!, on 23 October 2015 - 01:40 AM, said:

Its one of those movies that gets better with repeat watchings. Anyway, I have to return some video tapes.

The ultimate example of this phenomenon being Blazing Saddles of coerce.

Ah, what a film!

Anybody excited about the new Bond? I'm usually not too bothered, but I watched Skyfall when it was televised last Christmas and really enjoyed it. It's out just in time for my birthday, so may go take that in.

I'm excited...but I just heard it went 300 million and is WAY overbudget....and that kinda freaks me out. Hopefully it's as good as it looks.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#7663 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 23 October 2015 - 12:06 PM

I am really looking forwards to Specter, but I have to say I found the trailer to be terrible. I didn't help that the new Star Wars trailer followed straight after and that was fantastic.

Edit: Though I guess you'd disagree with me on that, QT, not being a Star Wars guy and all.

This post has been edited by Morgoth: 23 October 2015 - 12:07 PM

Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#7664 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 23 October 2015 - 12:21 PM

View PostMorgoth, on 23 October 2015 - 12:06 PM, said:

I am really looking forwards to Specter, but I have to say I found the trailer to be terrible. I didn't help that the new Star Wars trailer followed straight after and that was fantastic.

Edit: Though I guess you'd disagree with me on that, QT, not being a Star Wars guy and all.

It's Spectre!!! SPECTRE. SPECTRE. RE RE RE RE. Learn to spell proper damnit.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#7665 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 23 October 2015 - 12:22 PM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 23 October 2015 - 12:21 PM, said:

View PostMorgoth, on 23 October 2015 - 12:06 PM, said:

It's Spectre!!! SPECTRE. SPECTRE. RE RE RE RE. Learn to spell proper damnit.

I don't know. All those 're' pairs following each other. It sounds wrong somehow.

#7666 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 25 October 2015 - 06:00 PM

Finally got around to watching EX MACHINA.

Eh. Not great. I expected far more from it to be honest. GREAT performances from Gleeson and Isaac and Vikander (especially)...but yeah I think Alex Garland just wanted an excuse to set a thriller within a narrative about AI. I was expecting way more from the ending, which I thought was overwrought and silly. I also disliked how Nathan is IMMEDATELY dislikable...like you walk into the CEO's rich smart house in the wilderness and he's out back boxing...like how much more of a Douche-nozzle warning do you need? You literally NEVER trust him...and I think that steals something from it. I'd have been faer more impressed if he had been VERY likeable, only to turn out to be a dick? Just my two cents.

But then I'm not at ALL a fan of this type of thriller which is premeated with a quiet unease...that kind of thing is not what I look for in a film...so this was likely never for me.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#7667 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 25 October 2015 - 06:15 PM

Regarding American Psycho I think one should also take into account when it came out. That film was considerably more risky when it came out in 2000. As far as I recall they had a heck of a time getting it made.

This was one the films that made Christian Bale famous for his body transformations and a lot of the scene are pretty raunchy for a main stream film.

Now a days I'd almost call that film tame. Especially compared to the book. I read that thing when I was around 16. What a fucked up book.

#7668 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 25 October 2015 - 07:59 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 25 October 2015 - 06:00 PM, said:

Eh. Not great. I expected far more from it to be honest. GREAT performances from Gleeson and Isaac and Vikander (especially)...but yeah I think Alex Garland just wanted an excuse to set a thriller within a narrative about AI. I was expecting way more from the ending, which I thought was overwrought and silly. I also disliked how Nathan is IMMEDATELY dislikable...like you walk into the CEO's rich smart house in the wilderness and he's out back boxing...like how much more of a Douche-nozzle warning do you need? You literally NEVER trust him...and I think that steals something from it. I'd have been faer more impressed if he had been VERY likeable, only to turn out to be a dick? Just my two cents.

But then I'm not at ALL a fan of this type of thriller which is premeated with a quiet unease...that kind of thing is not what I look for in a film...so this was likely never for me.

Nathan is supposed to be exactly who he is - a spoiled, richer-than-he-can-deal-with Silicon Valley scumbag. We, the audience, aren't supposed to like him much. The crucial point is that Caleb likes him so much because Caleb wants to be who Nathan appears to be. Caleb dreams of being Nathan, of being the "anointed one" who makes a gazillion dollars and directs the industry as he will because he is a genius and geniuses are supposed to dictate the world.

Ex Machina is the greatest movie about tech-bros and the struggle women have in the tech industry (and others) that I have ever seen. We're now seeing that the "jocks" who were/are dominant in so many places are somehow not as bad as the "geeks" who suddenly become dominant and this movie subtly plays around with the ascension of geek culture alongside artificial intelligence and self-actualization.

Spoiler

I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#7669 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 26 October 2015 - 08:18 AM

Part of that was Nathan's goal to make Caleb feel uncomfortable. I don't think he just happened to be working out right as Caleb arrived. Rather, it helped foster Caleb's sense of unease.

I loved that movie though, so we'll just have to disagree. Mind you, I also think Amp is rather off base in his analysis.

#7670 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 26 October 2015 - 11:11 AM

View PostMorgoth, on 26 October 2015 - 08:18 AM, said:

Part of that was Nathan's goal to make Caleb feel uncomfortable. I don't think he just happened to be working out right as Caleb arrived. Rather, it helped foster Caleb's sense of unease.

I loved that movie though, so we'll just have to disagree. Mind you, I also think Amp is rather off base in his analysis.

Yeah, I knew I'd be in a minority camp with this one as most people I know who saw it liked it a lot. I really just think it comes down to me not liking thrillers of this type that set out to unsettle you. Not my bag.

And yeah, I also think Amph is offbase in his analysis. Sorry Amph.

#7671 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 26 October 2015 - 04:59 PM

I'd be interested in hearing why Morgoth and QuickTidal think my analysis of Ex Machina is off.

I've talked about this movie several times with people I respect and all of them agree that the movie is about what I said it was about.

There is also this wonderful article that dives deeply in what the movie gave us: http://womenwriteabo...e-for-our-time/

This post has been edited by amphibian: 26 October 2015 - 05:01 PM

#7672 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 26 October 2015 - 05:35 PM

Sure, I'll dip into why I disagree a bit.

1. "The crucial point is that Caleb likes him so much because Caleb wants to be who Nathan appears to be. Caleb dreams of being Nathan, of being the "anointed one" who makes a gazillion dollars and directs the industry as he will because he is a genius and geniuses are supposed to dictate the world. "

Caleb is never this. He never even gets close to this in fact. He never gives off the vibe that he's anything other than a coder who enjoys his work and is good at it and won a contest (even though we know it's rigged). In fact, I would imagine that IF Caleb wanted to BE Nathan he'd not immediately be unsettled by him in their intro conversation. I'm pretty sure we see the Boss VS the Employee from moment one, and neither is under the impression that the other is anything but. It's essentially an exacerbated version of the Milo and Gary relationship in ANTITRUST...only Robbins pulled off the role better than Isaacs is allowed to (Meaning it's not Isaacs fault...his acting was amazing...but rather Garland fault in scripting him in such a way). Caleb gives off the vibe throughout the movie that he's actually happy where he is in life...this is most telling in his story about his parents death which he tells to Ava and how it no longer affects him, as he threw himself into coding and got really good at it as a result. A coder at a place like Bluebook (Google) has a good life. It never came across to me that he desired to be Nathan or emulate him in any way. I got the distinct vibe he sees the genius in what Nathan did/created but that he knows form moment one that he's not that special kind of insanity which such genius would require.

2. "Ex Machina is the greatest movie about tech-bros and the struggle women have in the tech industry (and others) that I have ever seen. We're now seeing that the "jocks" who were/are dominant in so many places are somehow not as bad as the "geeks" who suddenly become dominant and this movie subtly plays around with the ascension of geek culture alongside artificial intelligence and self-actualization."

Re: the first sentence. I don't see it that way at all. I see it as a grown-ass man playing with dolls/sex bots. Controlling women, not through his job or allegory to the tech industry (Bluebook is based on Google...and Google is run by a POC, and has a board of directors with gender parity)...but through populating the world around him with yes-women for his bidding because he's still a young dumb moron who just wants to drink and party and screw. It's a god complex film through and through (and we see that a lot in thrillers)...and as to your second sentence, I actually felt that Nathan (with all his body building ect.) is the jock through and through and Caleb is more of the skinny classical nerd stereotype. In fact the Nathan and Caleb characters could easily be exchanged with any film about the Sexy, popular jock who brings the skinny nerd into his circle of fame only for the nerd to discover that life ain't so hunky dory up there and the rich powerful jock is a horrible human being. I actually think that Garland went for boring, predictability with that angle...and it was clear as day to me from the moment Nathan and Caleb meet. The first words out of Nathan's mouth are: Drunk, hungover, no party, working out, keeping his body in shape...want a beer Caleb? If that's not the atypical jock stereotype, just infused into a smart, rich CEO...then I'll eat my hat.

Is it an allegory to today's Silicon Valley? Or one of a few decades ago? Here's a recent Forbes article which speaks on this: http://www.forbes.co...men-in-1-graph/ and I truly think that if we are talking about a Silicon Valley of 2000...then ABSOLUTELY this film could comment on that socially...but as it stands today in 2015...eh, I'm not seeing it. Not to say you are wrong to see those things...just that if Alex Garland is attempting to comment on today's tech industry, he's kind of failed with an old hot take that no longer really applies at the level it claims to? It's not some perfect paradigm of gender/racial parity mind you, but it's not an all white male party anymore, and that's an important distinction.

Also, I'm curious about "The white women who have succeeded in the tech industry often do so by swiping thunder and credit from the POC women alongside them." source-wise as that seems awfully specific to note without a serious transgression in that vein (I'm truly asking as I had never heard of that happening in a specific instance, and I'm curious what you are speaking on.)

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 26 October 2015 - 05:41 PM

#7673 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 26 October 2015 - 07:19 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 26 October 2015 - 05:35 PM, said:

Caleb is never this. He never even gets close to this in fact. He never gives off the vibe that he's anything other than a coder who enjoys his work and is good at it and won a contest (even though we know it's rigged). In fact, I would imagine that IF Caleb wanted to BE Nathan he'd not immediately be unsettled by him in their intro conversation. I'm pretty sure we see the Boss VS the Employee from moment one, and neither is under the impression that the other is anything but. It's essentially an exacerbated version of the Milo and Gary relationship in ANTITRUST...only Robbins pulled off the role better than Isaacs is allowed to (Meaning it's not Isaacs fault...his acting was amazing...but rather Garland fault in scripting him in such a way). Caleb gives off the vibe throughout the movie that he's actually happy where he is in life...this is most telling in his story about his parents death which he tells to Ava and how it no longer affects him, as he threw himself into coding and got really good at it as a result. A coder at a place like Bluebook (Google) has a good life. It never came across to me that he desired to be Nathan or emulate him in any way. I got the distinct vibe he sees the genius in what Nathan did/created but that he knows form moment one that he's not that special kind of insanity which such genius would require.

I think much of the dynamics of this early "brogrammer" scene flew over your head.

Caleb is a near-archetypal "self-made" man. He came up with no family support, has a great job at an industry leader, and he's a brilliant coder. His good fortune in winning the lottery for the trip to meet Nathan is a stroke of luck that a good guy like him deserves to have (it's rigged and Nathan picked him because nobody would miss him). Caleb also doesn't really blink when Nathan says he needs Caleb, of all the people in his company or in the world, to administer a Turing test to a revolutionary piece of technology. Caleb also wants what Nathan has done - to be a world-famous and incredibly rich tech billionaire who directs the course of the industry. It's why Caleb works at Bluebook and why he's so pumped for the trip up to talk to Nathan.

Caleb is convinced of his own brilliance and Nathan encourages him to believe that through out the movie.

Points in support of that "theory":

1) Nathan aped the jock stereotype in order to convince Caleb that Nathan is a careless party-hard type. The heavy bag hitting Nathan was doing was kinda bad. It was not skilled striking technique and Nathan's weightlifting technique wasn't good either. Due to the attention to detail paid elsewhere and the director's stated intents in multiple places, I strongly believe that these things were an intentionally unskilled presentation. Garland wanted Nathan to be aping the jock stereotype, rather than actually being that, because that's a very interesting intersection between "geeks" and "jocks" that has driven Silicon Valley culture for quite a while. Nathan wants Caleb to continue believing in his own "geek" superiority in regards to "jocks" - because "geeks > jocks" is a very, very crucial element of Silicon Valley culture and of Caleb's own life. So Nathan gave Caleb a ton of very specific information, which Caleb used to build the theory that he was smarter and better than Nathan in this situation - and that Ava needs rescuing from Nathan. And of course, Ava will love Caleb forever and ever for rescuing her from the brogrammer.

2) Nathan was constantly making Caleb feel like he was brilliant enough to quickly figure out Nathan's systems and subvert Ava/Nathan's systems to his own purposes. The "geniuses can do everything solo" theory of progress and innovation is a broken model, yet so many people still believe in it - particularly the libertarians and wackos who believe that governments are bad. Ava did most of the heavy lifting and Nathan already knew Ava was going to get Caleb to do something, so he let Caleb get the card by faking his own drunken stupors and showing Caleb over and over again how Nathan's physical security protocols worked.

3) Nathan let Caleb and Ava play out what they were going to do, recording it, and doing a super-villain style reveal at the end. He had the intentions of letting this happen all along and then stepping in at the last moment to stop it. Ava was tailored to Caleb's specific tastes and Caleb was selected because he was easily manipulated/an orphan with few friends. Nobody would miss Caleb.

I'm not just making this up out of whole cloth - Garland gave several interviews in which he talks about criticizing both the "geek" and the "brogrammer" archetypes in Silicon Valley and how Nathan is playing Caleb from the get go.

http://www.hitfix.co...or-alex-garland

http://www.dailydot....ance-interview/

http://io9.com/direc...-dis-1696309078

http://www.npr.org/2...e-in-ex-machina

Re: the first sentence. I don't see it that way at all. I see it as a grown-ass man playing with dolls/sex bots. Controlling women, not through his job or allegory to the tech industry (Bluebook is based on Google...and Google is run by a POC, and has a board of directors with gender parity)...but through populating the world around him with yes-women for his bidding because he's still a young dumb moron who just wants to drink and party and screw. It's a god complex film through and through (and we see that a lot in thrillers)...and as to your second sentence, I actually felt that Nathan (with all his body building ect.) is the jock through and through and Caleb is more of the skinny classical nerd stereotype. In fact the Nathan and Caleb characters could easily be exchanged with any film about the Sexy, popular jock who brings the skinny nerd into his circle of fame only for the nerd to discover that life ain't so hunky dory up there and the rich powerful jock is a horrible human being. I actually think that Garland went for boring, predictability with that angle...and it was clear as day to me from the moment Nathan and Caleb meet. The first words out of Nathan's mouth are: Drunk, hungover, no party, working out, keeping his body in shape...want a beer Caleb? If that's not the atypical jock stereotype, just infused into a smart, rich CEO...then I'll eat my hat.

Yeah, you missed a ton of what I just talked about above and forgot that Nathan was playing Caleb and Ava from the beginning. Nathan amped up the jock stereotype to make Caleb think he could pull a fast one on Nathan due to his own geek superiority.

Yes, Nathan is playing with sex dolls - he purposely made Kiyoko his geisha puppet. However, Garland didn't stop Nathan there. He had Nathan make Ava and progress things to the Caleb experiment.

Furthermore, the movie does the wonderful thing of recognizing and showing that what Caleb offers to Ava isn't really much better than what Nathan offers. Think about how easy it would have been for Garland to pair off Caleb and Ava and give us a happy couple's ending. Caleb wanted to fuck Ava and she knew that all along. She played him and eventually left him. Indeed, a very particular scene happens after Ava leaves Caleb and it is absolutely essential to my understanding of the film's subtlety.

Is it an allegory to today's Silicon Valley? Or one of a few decades ago? Here's a recent Forbes article which speaks on this: http://www.forbes.co...men-in-1-graph/ and I truly think that if we are talking about a Silicon Valley of 2000...then ABSOLUTELY this film could comment on that socially...but as it stands today in 2015...eh, I'm not seeing it. Not to say you are wrong to see those things...just that if Alex Garland is attempting to comment on today's tech industry, he's kind of failed with an old hot take that no longer really applies at the level it claims to? It's not some perfect paradigm of gender/racial parity mind you, but it's not an all white male party anymore, and that's an important distinction.

Also, I'm curious about "The white women who have succeeded in the tech industry often do so by swiping thunder and credit from the POC women alongside them." source-wise as that seems awfully specific to note without a serious transgression in that vein (I'm truly asking as I had never heard of that happening in a specific instance, and I'm curious what you are speaking on.)

You... I'm shaking my head in disbelief at these lines you've written.

I point to this article: http://womenwriteabo...e-for-our-time/

and this one: http://www.racismrev...white-feminism/

The phenomenons of "white feminism", Silicon Valley exclusion, and how much of the obscuring of PoC happens in hard to define ways are very real and very much things Ex Machina wants to talk about. These are exactly the difficult things referred to by Ava's "dressing herself for the real first time by taking body parts from her WoC predecessors" scene at the end. The film specifically presents the WoC robot predecessors as silenced, as not whole, as non-ideal, as crazy, and the multiple scenes ending in the flesh-taking scene is a savage criticism of what matters to Silicon Valley/Caleb/Nathan/Ava. The ending of the movie reminds us how non-ideal the attempts at reform we've experienced have been.

The Forbes article you link us to has segments within it that contradict the headline. Yes, the top 10 Silicon Valley firms are often run by immigrants, women, or non-white people. However, very few of those are initial founders from way back when. Now, there are more founders from those groups, but we still have this:

But, diversity reports from tech companies show that overall they are overwhelmingly white and male (usually around 60-80%).

[...]

To be sure, there is a lack of diversity within the range of minority groups. There is a conspicuous absence of black or Latino CEOs, even though both groups make up a substantial part of the U.S. There is no purely objective way to measure diversity in the tech industry, because both are fuzzy concepts.

So... yes, you missed a ton of the movie's key points and themes and it's partly because you don't have the mindset to look for those things. You don't see them because these things don't affect you or those you particularly care about.

This post has been edited by amphibian: 18 January 2016 - 03:47 AM

#7674 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 26 October 2015 - 08:14 PM

Obviously, I saw it a different way...but the condescension in portions of your reply are a bit much when I offered up my thoughts freely when you asked me for them.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 26 October 2015 - 08:16 PM

#7675 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 30 October 2015 - 10:46 PM

Spectre

Man, I was expecting great things, all the hype, following the excellent skyfall, great reviews.
Of the Craig 4 this is the 3rd best. Skyfall is head and shoulders above the rest, Casino Royale beats this out too.
Didn't feel like a bond film, the car chase was drawn out, dull, crap viewing. The goofy bits (you'll know when you see then what I mean) didn't jive with the Craig Bond, they would have suited Brosnan or Dalton better, the car bit almost felt like a bit written for Roger Moore.
Waltz is an excellent villain. The story actually worked reasonably well for me over the Craig Bond (crond?) arc as a conclusion, and the ending for a bow out of Craig was very good.
But it didn't hold me at all, the pre theme sequence was well done but I think Casino Royale was Cronds best opener (goldeneye or living daylights still are tops for me, I think it was daylights, Dalton, land rover over a cliff?)
I'm walfling, entertaining yes, not as good as skyfall but considerably better than quantum.
Be interesting to see what they do with the next bond, another 'restart' as casino was for Crond, or do we have a link into spectres ending?

Also, Sam smith sucks and that is the worst theme ever, the only good thing about it is making Madonna, jack white and garbage feel better about themselves

Eta - the advert for Heineken before the film was quite amusing.
And Buatista is no jaws, tries to be silent and intimidating, just doesn't work

This post has been edited by Macros: 30 October 2015 - 10:48 PM

#7676 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 31 October 2015 - 12:56 AM

Huh, I was worried about it...as apparently it went super over budget (300 million)... And the trailers don't blow me away...ill temper my Bond fanboy excitement going in. Glad to hear it's better than Quantum tho.

#7677 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 31 October 2015 - 12:57 AM

James Bond sucks.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#7678 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 31 October 2015 - 01:53 AM

As long as Waltz is awesome. The movie was barely on my radar even though I loved Sky fall... Until I saw that Waltz was the villain when I watched the trailer on a whim. XD

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#7679 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 31 October 2015 - 06:58 AM

Waltz is excellent, some parts of his involvement felt rushed, I dunno, for a film its length and what actually happens plot development wise it felt really rushed in parts, terrible pacing really. If it hadn't of got such great reviews my expectations would have been lower, part of what made skyfall so great was it was following Quantum, if this had followed Quantum it might have felt a bit better but it doesn't hold a candle to skyfall.

#7680 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 01 November 2015 - 07:59 PM

Watched the 2013 Evil Dead. Some cool effects but an otherwise brain dead script. Jane Levy seemed like the only pro in the whole thing. Really disappointing.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

Share this topic:

• 645 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users