• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big Movie thread

#8121 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 27 June 2016 - 11:49 PM

I watched What We Do In the Shadows. Pretty hilarious. Wasn't sure a mockumentary on vampires could sustain a whole feature, but it did quite well. Funny and surprising, with bits of horror tossed in.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#8122 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 28 June 2016 - 05:51 AM

View PostKanyemander West, on 27 June 2016 - 11:49 PM, said:

I watched What We Do In the Shadows. Pretty hilarious. Wasn't sure a mockumentary on vampires could sustain a whole feature, but it did quite well. Funny and surprising, with bits of horror tossed in.

We're werewolves not swearwolves. Looooove that film.

I haven't seen any films. My attention span lasts a total of 15mins at best! And there's no such thing as a spare 2hrs.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#8123 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 28 June 2016 - 06:43 PM

The actor who played Superman in Superman Lifts stuff is doing an AMA on Reddit. It's in connection to the 10 year anniversary of Superman Returns.

https://www.reddit.c...perman_returns/

I saw it and went in expecting to see a massive shitstorm of people complaining about the idiotic script for the film. To my surprise the entire AMA (At least as of now, 1 hour in) is filled with people praising the fucking thing, complimenting the actor and fawning over the WB show he is in.

I am trying not to get into a rant with 50 different people but I have a sneaking suspicion that thread almost entirely consists of sock puppets... or people are just being nice, which is really hard to believe.

#8124 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 28 June 2016 - 06:57 PM

View PostApt, on 28 June 2016 - 06:43 PM, said:

The actor who played Superman in Superman Lifts stuff is doing an AMA on Reddit. It's in connection to the 10 year anniversary of Superman Returns.

https://www.reddit.c...perman_returns/

I saw it and went in expecting to see a massive shitstorm of people complaining about the idiotic script for the film. To my surprise the entire AMA (At least as of now, 1 hour in) is filled with people praising the fucking thing, complimenting the actor and fawning over the WB show he is in.

I am trying not to get into a rant with 50 different people but I have a sneaking suspicion that thread almost entirely consists of sock puppets... or people are just being nice, which is really hard to believe.

In defense, SUPERMAN RETURNS is actually a PERFECT movie if you wanted a follow-up/continuation of the Richard Donner Superman films. And Routh was very good at aping Christopher Reeve. For most people, they DIDN'T want more Donner-esque Superman's at that point...which is why it did poorly. But looked at under the microscope of what Singer set out to create (title credits and all). It's damned good. It should also be noted that MANY people who hate MoS have come to revere what Singer made in hindsigh, as they prefer the Routh Superman to the Cavill one...it is what it is. (Note: I don't like SUPERMAN RETURNS, I found it so-so)

And in ARROW, FLASH, and now LEGENDS OF TOMORROW Routh has been given the chance to really show what he can do acting-wise...and his Atom is fantastic. Considering that Atom is the poor-mans Superman/Iron Man anyways, it's a solid progression.

So I can see how he'd be praised in a reddit thread...people REALLY enjoy him on the CW superhero shows.

Also, amusing on topic (this was posted on Collider today) article.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 28 June 2016 - 07:06 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#8125 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 29 June 2016 - 03:31 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 28 June 2016 - 06:57 PM, said:

I had to go lie down after reading that article.

#8126 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 29 June 2016 - 04:49 PM

The Donner/Singer movies were for a different audience than me. They want the nice guy Superman and walking away happy.

Apt and I want the conflicted demi-god battling with intergalactic level threats. I realize that Superman developed into the latter somewhat recently and that the Donner version is more in line with canon, but it's not as interesting to me. There are other heroes and other story templates that those type of stories work better for. Superman - basically the most powerful hero in existence - shouldn't be fucking around and rescuing cats all that often. He should be almost fully submerged into Clark Kent and emerging only to fight the beings and disasters nobody else can.

So I didn't like the Singer version - but Routh was fine in it. He did what he was asked to do and was able to connect to the audience. Spacey's lines and plot were abysmal though. Fine actor, but what he had to work with as a character was truly terrible.

This post has been edited by amphibian: 29 June 2016 - 04:51 PM

I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#8127 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 29 June 2016 - 06:38 PM

I agree mostly. It's no secret I quite enjoyed both MoS and BvS and prefer that Superman to the more traditional Donner/White hat Superman...as I think the conflict and inner turmoil of the Snyder Superman presents as a very interesting, as you said, demi-god interacting with humankind.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#8128 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 29 June 2016 - 07:28 PM

I can't read that article, unfortunately, because I have an intense everlasting grudge against the author for some reason. Sorry, QT! :Rodeo:

Watched Hail, Caesar! last night. That is probably the lowest-stakes movie the Coens have ever made, even among their comedies, so there was little to no tension throughout. Aside from that though it was a delight to watch, especially the various movie scenes. There is just so much joyous "movie magic" throughout.

#8129 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 29 June 2016 - 07:39 PM

The plane rescue in Superman Returns is awesome. Everything else is fairly average, though it's not a bad film. It was aping the Donner Superman, but at least as far as the first one goes (I haven't seen the rest) it didn't ape it all that well.

They really should have a Superman film taking cues from All-Star Superman (and the DC One Million arc Morrison self-borrowed many of the ideas from). Proves a white-hat Superman can provide real spectacle, and I really like the idea of Solaris as a Superman villain and am fairly disappointed no other Superman writer seems to want to take a punt on the character.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#8130 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 29 June 2016 - 09:49 PM

View PostKanyemander West, on 29 June 2016 - 07:28 PM, said:

I can't read that article, unfortunately, because I have an intense everlasting grudge against the author for some reason. Sorry, QT

Why you filthy bastid!

:Rodeo:

#8131 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 04 July 2016 - 08:55 AM

Everybody Wants Some!! from Richard Linklater. Touted as a spiritual sequel to Dazed and Confused, and I can see why, but this one's a bit more dude-centric and narrowly focused on one crew (while still doing that pretty perfect slice-of-life stuff Linklater is so good at). It's a solid two hours, but goes by like a breeze. Not heavy, no major tensions, a few days in the lives of a college baseball team (though it's decidedly not a sports movie). Confection, but well made, well written, well acted confection with the spark of life throughout.

#8132 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 05 July 2016 - 04:29 AM

I saw room last night. That movie is good but fucked up. Check it out.
Error: Signature not valid

#8133 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 05 July 2016 - 10:52 AM

Watched 3 movies over Cottage weekend with my wife.

ZOOTOPIA: This was excellent! We loved it!

13 HOURS: Having known NOTHING of Benghazi beforehand, this was not only interesting, but quite enjoyable. It's neat to see Michael Bay when he's dialed back like this.

THE LAST WITCH HUNTER: Yeah no. I had been excited for this, expecting a solid Urban Fantasy movie...and this is a dismal flick that can't decide if it wants to be fantasy or hardcore horror...just a mess, with predictable turns and twists. Just blah.

#8134 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 13 July 2016 - 12:56 AM

Saw black mass. Not the best gangster movie ever, but not deserving of some of the hatred I saw towards it. It was fine to good the whole way through. Maybe it was backlash because it was hyped to be the next goodfellas and wasn't, but it was well worth the time it took to watch it.
Error: Signature not valid

#8135 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 13 July 2016 - 11:53 AM

View PostRaymond Luxury Yacht, on 05 July 2016 - 04:29 AM, said:

I get confused... There is an older film called The Room, and is meant to be one of the worst films ever but has a huge cult following, right?

But there is also another one that came out fairly recently? Am I getting that correct?
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#8136 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 13 July 2016 - 01:53 PM

Finally saw FIELD OF DREAMS. Great film, if a bit overly whimsical. Loved the score, and both Costner and James Early Jones utterly shine!

#8137 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 13 July 2016 - 07:34 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 13 July 2016 - 11:53 AM, said:

View PostRaymond Luxury Yacht, on 05 July 2016 - 04:29 AM, said:

I get confused... There is an older film called The Room, and is meant to be one of the worst films ever but has a huge cult following, right?

But there is also another one that came out fairly recently? Am I getting that correct?

The Room is one of the best movies ever made. Room is a pretty good trauma drama.

#8138 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 14 July 2016 - 12:22 AM

I just saw a preview for the latest "we have no more original ideas, let's do a remake of": Ben Hur! I am rather fond of the original (don't remember why anymore; I think I was bored one Easter Sunday and watched the whole movie as a teen) and I'm not sure what I think of a remake of this classic. They'll almost certainly add more violence and can do a lot with the chariot race with today's technology and/or stunt people but I'm not sure how else they can improve this one.

#8139 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 14 July 2016 - 12:30 AM

The Charlton Heston Ben-Hur was its third film adaptation.

#8140 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 14 July 2016 - 12:34 AM

View PostKanyemander West, on 14 July 2016 - 12:30 AM, said:

The Charlton Heston Ben-Hur was its third film adaptation.

Wow, really?! I had no idea. Feeling a bit foolish now...

Maybe I'll check out the others.

Share this topic:

• 643 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users