• You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big Movie thread

#7421 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 13 May 2015 - 06:25 PM

View Postamphibian, on 13 May 2015 - 05:50 PM, said:

If you look at the sales in terms of merchandise and so on, the Frozen and Maleficent gear is nearly flying out of the stores long after the movies came out. The Avengers gear (almost all the male heroes) is also selling well. It's not necessarily to entirely unlinked groups of people either.

The split between the two is weird and I don't understand the business choices behind it.

I think having a truly good female villain might be the right next move. The Frozen/Maleficent dynamic works so well because they are not paragons of goodness - which people, especially tween girls, looooove. Not sure which ones are out there for Marvel to use going forwards. Those of you who know the storylines and universe better might have ideas.

Not only this, but there's been cases of toys where Black Widow has been completely replaced and removed. Like with the quinjet motorcycle. In the movie it's Black Widow coming out with full speed. The toy has a Captain America toy.

I think I read somewhere that the excuse the toy companies give is that the superheroines simply aren't selling because only boys buy the toys.

I agree, it's weird.
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#7422 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 13 May 2015 - 06:38 PM

Problem is the Marvel Universe has as few great female villains as it has few great heroes.

I took a look at Marvels database and not much comes to mind:

http://marvel.wikia....engers_Villains

You have Amora, an Asgardian sorceress who usually is in cohoots with Loki. She wants Thor to fall in love with her and plays tricks on him, etc. Very powerful but even less hands on than Loki I think.

... and that's pretty much all that jumps out of me.

You might be able to do a team against team thing and pit the Avengers against the classic Mutant Brotherhood under the leadership of Mystique. Then you'd have three villains: Mystique (shapeshifter), Destiny (psychic/blind oracle) and Rogue back when whe was evil. Rogue herself could be an interesting choice because she at one point stole all the Avengers powers.

But they don't have the right to mutants.

Could take a male villain and make him female. Kang the Conquerer is the most obvious choice that comes to mind. He's sort of a Ming the Merciless kind of guy who comes from the third millenium (or something like that) to conquer the past. He works as a strong bad guy whether he's male or not since it's his technology that makes him formidable.

EDIT: Actually thinking about it I'd ask Whedon to make up a female super villain. A clean slate would mean free reins and Whedon writes women well. Make up something new and surprising. Much of the Marvel Cinematic Universe is already diverging so greatly from te classic universe that it hardly matters.

This post has been edited by Apt: 13 May 2015 - 06:41 PM

#7423 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus

Posted 13 May 2015 - 06:42 PM

There is Viper though, but whether she would make more sense as a villain in Daredevil than an Avengers movie is debatable. Other than that, you're right, there aren't really that many memorable villainesses in Marvel. And that's too bad

#7424 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 13 May 2015 - 06:47 PM

Yeah, only I think for it to work, unless they flip the script, the bad guy has to top the last bad guy. Ultron is more intimidating than Loki, Madame Hydra is just another Red Skull, Baron Zemo, Strucker, etc. Not powerful enough to be scary on her own.

Thinking about it a Mordoc + AIM story would be cool but a female MORDOC would not sell any action figures. At all. #NotAllGiantFlyingFemaleHeads.

This post has been edited by Apt: 13 May 2015 - 06:49 PM

#7425 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 13 May 2015 - 07:07 PM

So... a hot female MODOK? - some executive at Disney's logic upon hearing Apt
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#7426 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus

Posted 13 May 2015 - 07:12 PM

View Postamphibian, on 13 May 2015 - 07:07 PM, said:

So... a hot female MODOK? - some executive at Disney's logic upon hearing Apt

Having nothing against hot women I'd actually prefer to avoid another Amanda Waller situation.

MODOK is abominably ugly and should remain so. Though this could lead back to the toy subject again with women in this genre getting shafted once more.

#7427 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 13 May 2015 - 07:12 PM

Hell, maybe Hel?
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#7428 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 13 May 2015 - 08:46 PM

With Thanos being involved, why not make Lady Death a real big bad?
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#7429 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus

Posted 13 May 2015 - 08:53 PM

Sure, I suppose you could, though perhaps not the actual Mistress Death. Seems maybe a bit too daunting a task? I mean, the Infinity Gauntlet isn't enough?

#7430 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 14 May 2015 - 04:50 AM

View Postamphibian, on 13 May 2015 - 08:46 PM, said:

With Thanos being involved, why not make Lady Death a real big bad?

Because it's too much. While I believe there are other entities in the universe or the embodiment of the universe itself that can kill or bind or hurt death, the powerlevel we're talking about here is Galactus levels of power.

It's not an enemy that you could realistically make in to a 2 hour movie villain. You could argue that Lady Death is a big bad because she is flattered that Thanos would kill the Universe for her/it... but that's just what death is.

#7431 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 14 May 2015 - 03:59 PM

Mad Max: Fury Road is really really explodey. Also really really good.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#7432 User is offline   McLovin 

• Cutlery Enthusiast
  • Interests:Knives. Stabbing. Stabbing with knives.

Posted 14 May 2015 - 04:19 PM

Got to see AGE OF ULTRON last night. Pretty much any part of the movie involving Black Widow made no sense. Some of the action sequences were hard to follow. And, James Spader was OK as Ultron, but the character really never rose above plot device. And why is Rhodey back to War Machine? The Mrs said she felt the actors were phoning it in. Vision was cool, and the new team looks awesome. Overall, OK, but this is way down on the MCU list for me. Kinda disappointing for Whedon.
OK, I think I got it, but just in case, can you say the whole thing over again? I wasn't really listening.

#7433 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 15 May 2015 - 06:00 AM

I liked avengers, but I am not as emotionally invested in it as a lot of people. Not a perfect movie by any means but I liked it better than the first in a lot of ways. Hulk is great.

John wick was quite enjoyable, perfect vehicle for Keanu. It delivers exactly what I wanted and expected it to.
Error: Signature not valid

#7434 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 16 May 2015 - 03:21 AM

So all the excitement about Star Wars got me thinking about the prequels and the reception they got. I wanted to see what all the Wars fans here thought about them but unfortunately the movies subforum seems to back to 2008. So um.. thoughts, opinons and memories people?

#7435 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 16 May 2015 - 04:38 AM

Some think they get marginally better as you go, but I think Revenge of the Sith was the worst. Mace Windu vs. Palpatine is one of the most embarrassing things I've ever seen. Palp letting out Darth Sidious there is more ridiculous (and features sillier scary-voice) than Jeffrey Jones turning into the Dark Overlord in Howard the Duck. Even Sam Jackson is terrible in that scene.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#7436 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 16 May 2015 - 05:45 AM

My own reaction to the three was mixed. I have never seen the original three (4-6) on the big screen. When I was twelve they were on tv and I begged my father to be allowed to stay up and watch, though all that I knew about it was very vague rumours.

I saw both Phantom menace and Attack of the Clones on tv.

Phantom Menace to me was ... strange. The whole plotline seemed implausible and the kid seemed straight out of one of those plucky-kid-saves the day movies. On the other hand I was intrigued by Qui Gon and the last battle was awesome. Frankly more screen time ofr Darth Maul would have saved the film.

Attack of the Clones was boring. The Padme-Anakin lovestory fo rme was a yawnfest. The guy who played Anakin was a really bad actor. Christopher Lee was cool but then again I find him cool whatever he does.

Revenge of the Sith for me was the best of the three, Though Anakin-Obi Wan-padme interactions were boring and ilogical at times, I greatly liked the darker tone of the movie. I loved the Obi Wan vs Anakin last battle. Incidentally Revenge of the Sith is the only Star Wars film I ever saw on the big screen.

I get that most of you saw the prequels when you were adults, but my age arc was 12, 14-16. SO ididn't really mind the CGi, I tuned out Jar Jar, but what I really wanted was to see lots of Jedi do lots of cool things. And for the most part they didn't. Mace Windu was anti-climactic. Yoda for was under utilised and logically inconsistent. And frankly I hated the whole Jedi holier-than-thou restrain emotions, shun relationships philosophy which seemed to be denying reality left right and centre

#7437 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 16 May 2015 - 06:44 AM

Incoming Apt Movie Opinion: Episode 1 is the best of the Star Wars films (Especially if you pretend that Jar Jar binks is a hallucination).

The rest of the films, new and old, can be lumped into a pile of that's pretty cool but the acting is terrible.

I remain convinced that the older film are no better than the new, in fact if you stripped away the 70s retro cool, they're worse than the new films. People who some how think that Hayden Christensen was worse than Mark Hamil are stupid. The fight scenes are laughable. The special effects look like what they are: 40 year old lets pretend. How the fuck does a teddy bear defeat a giant walking fortress?

:headbang:

This post has been edited by Apt: 16 May 2015 - 06:51 AM

#7438 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 16 May 2015 - 07:19 AM

Holy shit Lucy was a stupid movie.

John wick was not.
Error: Signature not valid

#7439 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus

Posted 16 May 2015 - 08:53 AM

View PostApt, on 16 May 2015 - 06:44 AM, said:

Incoming Apt Movie Opinion: Episode 1 is the best of the Star Wars films (Especially if you pretend that Jar Jar binks is a hallucination).

The rest of the films, new and old, can be lumped into a pile of that's pretty cool but the acting is terrible.

I remain convinced that the older film are no better than the new, in fact if you stripped away the 70s retro cool, they're worse than the new films. People who some how think that Hayden Christensen was worse than Mark Hamil are stupid. The fight scenes are laughable. The special effects look like what they are: 40 year old lets pretend. How the fuck does a teddy bear defeat a giant walking fortress?

:headbang:

Du bor ikke langt nok væk til at jeg ikke kan komme derover og hænge dig! Posted Image

#7440 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus

Posted 16 May 2015 - 08:54 AM

View PostRaymond Luxury Yacht, on 16 May 2015 - 07:19 AM, said:

Holy shit Lucy was a stupid movie.

John wick was not.

Raymond, you are correct, Lucy was unbelievably stupid whereas John Wick definitely let me wanting for more, much, much more!

Share this topic:

• 643 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users