• You cannot reply to this topic

Codex Alera alot better than I thought

#41 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 07 February 2010 - 12:04 PM

View PostH.D., on 29 January 2010 - 10:03 AM, said:

View PostMorgoth, on 21 January 2010 - 05:12 PM, said:

A major problem for me when it comes to Codex Alara is that Butcher suffers from Eddings-a-vities.
Spoiler
.. Apart from that though I found it enjoyable in a light sort of way.

This is a very valid statement. But, I'll answer it by stating tht Butcher is fantastic at putting his characters in impossibly bad situations.

True, but at the same time

Spoiler

Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#42 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 08 February 2010 - 02:03 AM

View PostMorgoth, on 07 February 2010 - 12:04 PM, said:

View PostH.D., on 29 January 2010 - 10:03 AM, said:

View PostMorgoth, on 21 January 2010 - 05:12 PM, said:

A major problem for me when it comes to Codex Alara is that Butcher suffers from Eddings-a-vities.
Spoiler
.. Apart from that though I found it enjoyable in a light sort of way.

This is a very valid statement. But, I'll answer it by stating tht Butcher is fantastic at putting his characters in impossibly bad situations.

True, but at the same time

Spoiler

See...
Spoiler

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#43 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 09 February 2010 - 05:23 AM

If there is a better assembled book than PRINCEP'S FURY by Jim Butcher, I don't know what it is. Seriously! I find that all the various plot threads are evenly spaced, and each completely engrossing in its own right to make the story virtually "unputdownable"! This book is like reading crack...I can't stop reading it....I need to sleep, have to work tomorrow, but I GOTTA know what happens next!!! Arg! Butcher is my pusher.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#44 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 09 February 2010 - 11:58 PM

Holy sweet merciful ****!!!!

Spoiler

#45 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Football

Posted 28 February 2010 - 01:28 AM

MASSIVE ALERA AND DRESDEN SPOILERS IN LINK SUPPLIED BELOW. I REPEAT. MASSIVE SPOILERS OF MT. DHOOMIAN EPICOSITY.
*******************************************************************************************************

Anywho, this link contains Jim himself on his forums at Jim-Butcher.com waxing on the Codex and Dresden files. Some really cool random information here. For those who have finished Alera only, and probably through Turn Coat in Dresden.

http://www.jimbutche...=5;sa=showPosts
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#46 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 28 February 2010 - 04:02 AM

Very cool linkage!

I especially like the possibility of
Spoiler

#47 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 23 May 2010 - 09:50 PM

I haven't finished this yet so I'm having to avoid the last few spoilers... boo. My local bookshop hasn't got Princep's Fury.

Anyway, it's very good fun with characters to get attached to, which makes sense, since this is Jim Butcher. Although I don't think the action has as much verve as Dresden does, not sure why.

But I have to agree with Morgoth a bit on his complaint, and one thing that really does get on my nerves is how (spoiler up to the end of Captain's Fury)
Spoiler

Still, despite that rant I am enjoying it a lot, although so far it hasn't nearly matched the glory of Harry Dresden.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#48 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 26 May 2010 - 05:32 PM

View Postpolishgenius, on 23 May 2010 - 09:50 PM, said:

I haven't finished this yet so I'm having to avoid the last few spoilers... boo. My local bookshop hasn't got Princep's Fury.

Anyway, it's very good fun with characters to get attached to, which makes sense, since this is Jim Butcher. Although I don't think the action has as much verve as Dresden does, not sure why.

But I have to agree with Morgoth a bit on his complaint, and one thing that really does get on my nerves is how (spoiler up to the end of Captain's Fury)
Spoiler

Still, despite that rant I am enjoying it a lot, although so far it hasn't nearly matched the glory of Harry Dresden.

Yeah, I think the scope got too big near the end of the series. too big and too fast for my tastes.
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#49 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 05 June 2010 - 01:58 PM

I have a decided itch to want to re-read this entire series. For the few flaws it may have it is still one of my favourite series of fantasy books ever.

#50 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 05 June 2010 - 08:46 PM

I spoke of it this morning, and that made me pine for it...so having not had an actual copy of the first one, I bought it today and have begun my Codex Alera re-read. It's interesting to see people like Aldrick and Odiana and have them talk about Araris so early on. Loving it already!

#51 User is offline   foolio 

• Emperor
  • about as popular as a whores dose of the face eater

Posted 29 June 2010 - 08:43 PM

I am considering reading Butchers Furies series and I saw something above about "sexual torture" and shit. I am not really crazy about perverse literature, is this going to be a problem for me? Should I go with smething else? I am not uptight or anything I just am not remotely entertained by endless odd sex exploration in fantasy....
I have seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter at the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain...."

#52 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 30 June 2010 - 03:51 AM

Sexual torture? Um, I'm going to just say no to that. I can't even think of anything remotely close to sexual torture that takes place in these books. I can see where the idea would COME from, but it's never used that way. At least, I don't remember it having happened and I read books 3-5 at least 3 times.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#53 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 30 June 2010 - 11:13 AM

I just bought the first 3 at a second hand store at my local shops and am looking forward to them.

That is, once I get through the massive 'to read' pile sitting on my kitchen table - growing at a far faster rate than I can read them. :p

I have a problem.

This post has been edited by Sombra: 30 June 2010 - 11:14 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#54 User is offline   dktorode 

• Luck is my middle name, Mind you, my first name is Bad."
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 30 June 2010 - 11:15 AM

i started the 2nd book a few days ago.....cant put it down.
Non stop action.
...┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐...

Why dont they make the whole plane out of that black box stuff?

#55 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 02 July 2010 - 10:17 PM

Yeah, there's nothing even close to sexual torture in any of the 6 books in the series.

#56 User is offline   Pig Iron 

• First Sword

Posted 03 July 2010 - 12:43 PM

View PostH.D., on 30 June 2010 - 03:51 AM, said:

Sexual torture? Um, I'm going to just say no to that. I can't even think of anything remotely close to sexual torture that takes place in these books. I can see where the idea would COME from, but it's never used that way. At least, I don't remember it having happened and I read books 3-5 at least 3 times.

Discipline collars in book 1.

Spoiler

It works in the story, but it's a bit much if you want the series to qualify as YA. There's really no graphical details though.

#57 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 03 July 2010 - 03:25 PM

View PostPig Iron, on 03 July 2010 - 12:43 PM, said:

View PostH.D., on 30 June 2010 - 03:51 AM, said:

Discipline collars in book 1.

Spoiler

It works in the story, but it's a bit much if you want the series to qualify as YA. There's really no graphical details though.

The discipline collars aren't really sexual "torture" as they are described more akin to a drugging that makes everything that happens not bother the wearer and in fact makes them want to be enslaved. Which is awful naturally, but not really torture (AKA graphic and depraved) of a physical or sexual nature. Odiana is...a special kind of freakshow...as you will come to learn in the later books...then again, so is Aldrick...but that's why they aren't exactly the heroes of the tale. They are not really used much more on the scale that they were for the first book. There is a brief period on Kalare in a later book, but again it isn't all that torturous really. Basically, don't be concerned that this is a running theme or anything. It's certainly not...just a setting aspect..and Butcher treats it with as much derision as it should have when he does mention it.

Nope, these books are about swashbuckling, fury-wielding, legion fighting Alerans, a warrior caste race of Dogmen named the Canim, The barbarian Marat, and the mysterious and completely relentless creatures called The Vord. If you settle into them, I think you will find them even better than Dresden...if only by a small margin, cause Dresden is still brilliantly awesome!

Note: The books become significantly less YA (I don't think they were ever intended as such really...other than Tavi being young when they start) after book 2 Tavi is basically in his late teens and early twenties, and the books take on a more adult tone.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 03 July 2010 - 03:28 PM

#58 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:beer, party.

Posted 23 March 2011 - 01:26 PM

I have read almost none of this thread for threat of spoilers, but just bought the first book.

I am tempted to shelve it and pick up TCG instead.

To delay the completion of one series in favour of starting another?? Dunno what I should do now.
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#59 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe

Posted 23 March 2011 - 03:16 PM

View Postcerveza_fiesta, on 23 March 2011 - 01:26 PM, said:

I have read almost none of this thread for threat of spoilers, but just bought the first book.

I am tempted to shelve it and pick up TCG instead.

To delay the completion of one series in favour of starting another?? Dunno what I should do now.

Read tCG first and then use Codex as a pick me up for when you finally complete the Malazan saga...

It's safe to say you will feel a void after completion and the Codex saga goes a long way in filling the gap!

Or that is what it did for me... Trouble is I only got 1 more Codex book to go and I will be back to square one again...

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#60 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:beer, party.

Posted 23 March 2011 - 03:58 PM

Yeah. That's what I was going to do with AFFC from Martin, but then everybody said it would leave an even BIGGER hole since it's so slow, boring and there are no plans for ADwD to come out anytime soon.

I guess I'll get TCG then and hold off on this one for a bit. I'll admit I'm pretty intrigued by the back cover description. Book one of Codex is good and thick too...almost always a good thing for me....except with wheel of time.
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

Share this topic:

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic