• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Codex Alera alot better than I thought

#61 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 23 March 2011 - 05:49 PM

View Postcerveza_fiesta, on 23 March 2011 - 01:26 PM, said:

I have read almost none of this thread for threat of spoilers, but just bought the first book.

I am tempted to shelve it and pick up TCG instead.

To delay the completion of one series in favour of starting another?? Dunno what I should do now.

Do TCG first, then start Alera.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#62 User is offline   wolf_2099 

• First Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • I like cake.

Posted 23 March 2011 - 08:16 PM

View Postcerveza_fiesta, on 23 March 2011 - 03:58 PM, said:

Yeah. That's what I was going to do with AFFC from Martin, but then everybody said it would leave an even BIGGER hole since it's so slow, boring and there are no plans for ADwD to come out anytime soon.

I guess I'll get TCG then and hold off on this one for a bit. I'll admit I'm pretty intrigued by the back cover description. Book one of Codex is good and thick too...almost always a good thing for me....except with wheel of time.

Erm, isn't ADWD coming out in July? that's pretty soon.
"HAIL THE MARINES!"

#63 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:beer, party.

Posted 24 March 2011 - 04:53 PM

@ wolf

Yeah, I just read that today. Old news I know, but stilll not really getting my hopes up given previous track record.

Just realized last night that I actually bought book six of Codex by mistake. Going to Chapters tonight to get tCG. Screw codex....you know....until I finish tCG anyway.
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#64 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 10 June 2011 - 03:04 AM

Rereading the Alera series. Finished book 3 and I can't find 4 and 5. Where are they? What has happened?
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#65 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 10 June 2011 - 03:34 AM

View PostObdigore, on 10 June 2011 - 03:04 AM, said:

Rereading the Alera series. Finished book 3 and I can't find 4 and 5. Where are they? What has happened?

Book 3 owns my heart, but book 5 melted my brain from Butcher awesome.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#66 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 17 January 2012 - 10:09 AM

Really?

I've finished the 1st, and I'm on the second... but for some reason it's just not grabbing me.
Most people seem to agree that I should carry on with it, but it all seems a bit.. familiar. I'm a bit bored reading about more wizard-schools (with obligatory bully), cold places with mammoths and tribes behind big Walls.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 17 January 2012 - 12:43 PM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#67 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 17 January 2012 - 10:32 AM

And... all that is about to change.

Enjoy.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#68 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 17 January 2012 - 12:16 PM

View PostObdigore, on 17 January 2012 - 10:32 AM, said:

And... all that is about to change.

Enjoy.

^^This.

#69 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 17 January 2012 - 12:49 PM

Dammit. I'll keep going then, although if there are any more exams or 'run-ins with local bully' scenes, you will be hearing from my lawyers.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#70 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 20 January 2012 - 05:23 PM

Ah, I'm not patient enough at the moment to wait for yet another book until it starts to get good.

I just got OST on my kindle, and the first few chapters already have put me into a happy reading place - ICE has really improved. I'll put this on hold while I enjoy a bit of malaz.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 20 January 2012 - 05:24 PM

#71 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 08 April 2012 - 02:31 PM

Never read a Jim Butcher book in my life. Someone gave me the complete 6 Alera books & the first 12 Dresden books for my Kindle. Happy days. Started reading Alera book 1 & I am enjoying myself. Doesn't seem to be anything ground breaking but highly enjoyable fantasy - the sort of stuff that got me into the genre in the first place. Not gonna read any of this thread for fear of spoilers but I'm looking forward to this series & will probably go on to read the Dresden books after!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#72 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 08 April 2012 - 05:19 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 08 April 2012 - 02:31 PM, said:

Never read a Jim Butcher book in my life. Someone gave me the complete 6 Alera books & the first 12 Dresden books for my Kindle. Happy days.

This is now your favoritestiest person in the world.
You cannot yet grasp just how much awesome they just gave you.

Started reading Alera book 1 & I am enjoying myself. Doesn't seem to be anything ground breaking but highly enjoyable fantasy - the sort of stuff that got me into the genre in the first place. Not gonna read any of this thread for fear of spoilers but I'm looking forward to this series & will probably go on to read the Dresden books after!

ALERA is all good. Starts weak but escalates book by book. 1 may be a bit of a slog at times, but 20 pages into 2the series just rockets.

As for the dresdencrack, well... There's a reason we call it that.
12 books should keep you happy for a week or two. Then the shakes start.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#73 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:37 AM

View PostAbyss, on 08 April 2012 - 05:19 PM, said:

View PostTiste Simeon, on 08 April 2012 - 02:31 PM, said:

Never read a Jim Butcher book in my life. Someone gave me the complete 6 Alera books & the first 12 Dresden books for my Kindle. Happy days.

This is now your favoritestiest person in the world.
You cannot yet grasp just how much awesome they just gave you.

Hahaha yeah there was also a bunch of Terry Pratchett on there as well as Neil Gaiman & Scott Lynch!! It made me ever so happy...

Started reading Alera book 1 & I am enjoying myself. Doesn't seem to be anything ground breaking but highly enjoyable fantasy - the sort of stuff that got me into the genre in the first place. Not gonna read any of this thread for fear of spoilers but I'm looking forward to this series & will probably go on to read the Dresden books after!

ALERA is all good. Starts weak but escalates book by book. 1 may be a bit of a slog at times, but 20 pages into 2the series just rockets.

As for the dresdencrack, well... There's a reason we call it that.
12 books should keep you happy for a week or two. Then the shakes start.

Well I am onto book 2 now and thoroughly enjoying it! How many books in the Dresden series?
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#74 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:03 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 12 April 2012 - 09:37 AM, said:

Well I am onto book 2 now and thoroughly enjoying it! How many books in the Dresden series?

We are at 13 already published books and several short stories. Book 14 is being written now.

It is honestly hard not to pull a Stephen King-Misery type deal with Butcher, but his process and speed of writing has delivered us extremely high quality stories at regular intervals. The man is among the best literary crack pushers out there.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#75 User is offline   dktorode 

• Luck is my middle name, Mind you, my first name is Bad."

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:59 PM

I love how Codex came about.

It started on an online forum argument, Butcher was arguing that no matter how bad or old and tired an idea is, if it is written well then it can be a success and be a good story.
The other side of the argument was that you need fresh "ideas" in your story and you dont necessarily have to be the best writer but if the idea behind the story is new/fresh then it could be a hit. etc etc.

Butcher then accepted a challenge from one member that he couldnt write anything good using a tired or old idea of his choice.
Butcher accepted the challenge stating that he could pick TWO tired ideas and he would write about it.

his apponent then proceded to pick "Lost Roman Legions" and ...wait for it........... "POKEMON"
fucking Pokemon..haha. Furys are pokemons people... gotto love it.
...┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐...

Why dont they make the whole plane out of that black box stuff?

#76 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:15 PM

View Postdktorode, on 13 April 2012 - 01:59 PM, said:

It started on an online forum argument, Butcher was arguing that no matter how bad or old and tired an idea is, if it is written well then it can be a success and be a good story.
The other side of the argument was that you need fresh "ideas" in your story and you dont necessarily have to be the best writer but if the idea behind the story is new/fresh then it could be a hit. etc etc.

Butcher then accepted a challenge from one member that he couldnt write anything good using a tired or old idea of his choice.
Butcher accepted the challenge stating that he could pick TWO tired ideas and he would write about it.

his apponent then proceded to pick "Lost Roman Legions" and ...wait for it........... "POKEMON"

I'd never heard that story...

but it just makes me love Butcher even more.

That's like the biggest P0WNING of anyone in history isn't it? A six book series to tell a guy to shut his mouth?

Awesome.

#77 User is offline   Hound 

• Lieutenant

Posted 13 April 2012 - 04:24 PM

Lol, makes sense :D

So, just finished the 3rd book. Took me a long time, but somewhere halfway I couldn't stop and finished it in one go!
Funny, because I had the same thing with the Dresden Files. The first 2 books took me ages to finish and somewhere halfway through the 3rd it gets really awesome and I won't be able to stop (and thus reading the whole serie in about 2 or 3 weeks). Anyway, now I love the Codex Alera as much as the Dresden Files :p

#78 User is offline   dktorode 

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:14 PM

View PostHound, on 13 April 2012 - 04:24 PM, said:

Lol, makes sense :D

So, just finished the 3rd book. Took me a long time, but somewhere halfway I couldn't stop and finished it in one go!
Funny, because I had the same thing with the Dresden Files. The first 2 books took me ages to finish and somewhere halfway through the 3rd it gets really awesome and I won't be able to stop (and thus reading the whole serie in about 2 or 3 weeks). Anyway, now I love the Codex Alera as much as the Dresden Files :p

like "crack" ....right? :p
...┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐...

#79 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:40 PM

Ha aye, I'd read somewhere that he did it for a bet, that he couldn't write a cool story about romans x pokemon but it's good to know the full story!

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#80 User is offline   dktorode 

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:08 PM

View Postchamp, on 13 April 2012 - 07:40 PM, said:

Ha aye, I'd read somewhere that he did it for a bet, that he couldn't write a cool story about romans x pokemon but it's good to know the full story!

Find "the Geeks guide to the galaxy" podcast.
Look for the Butcher interview, he tells the story there... actually one of my favorite author interviews, the guy really is all kinds of bad ass.

This post has been edited by dktorode: 13 April 2012 - 10:38 PM

...┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐...

Share this topic:

• 7 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users