• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Lives of the Three about that damned book Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   Jumpy 

• Sergeant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 05 April 2009 - 06:46 PM

View PostD'rek, on Apr 5 2009, 11:59 AM, said:

Korbolo commanded the BBs after WJ was moved somewhere else, so pretty early on in their history. This from Kalam talking to Keneb in DG. Kalam says Korbolo was a bit more bloodthirsty than he would've liked, but doesn't infer that there was any attempts to assassinate him or anything like that. Eventually Dujek was promoted and replaced Korbolo, who was reassigned to another unit.

I think your reasoning is pretty good on most points. The only other thing I'd really like to stress is that just because Grub is important to the Late Empire period, doesn't mean the other two of the Three are important to, or even from, that same period, especially if Lot3 is an historical scholarly work...

That's cool. Guess he hand't earned the dagger yet. He hadn't betrayed the Empire then, obviously. And hadn't disarmed, slaughtered, and crucified 10,000 Malazans yet. I wonder, how long would he have lasted as their commander?

I agree with your second point, but then again the title of the work does imply that the Three are intimately related in one way or another. And there is Gamet's quote.
While I agree that it is possible the Three don't have to be from the same era, I doubt that would be the case. Kind of just wish I could read the damned thing.

#22 User is offline   Skywalker 

• Mortal LightSaber
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Pedant.

Posted 06 April 2009 - 06:33 AM

View PostJumpy, on Apr 6 2009, 12:16 AM, said:

View PostD'rek, on Apr 5 2009, 11:59 AM, said:

Korbolo commanded the BBs after WJ was moved somewhere else, so pretty early on in their history. This from Kalam talking to Keneb in DG. Kalam says Korbolo was a bit more bloodthirsty than he would've liked, but doesn't infer that there was any attempts to assassinate him or anything like that. Eventually Dujek was promoted and replaced Korbolo, who was reassigned to another unit.

I think your reasoning is pretty good on most points. The only other thing I'd really like to stress is that just because Grub is important to the Late Empire period, doesn't mean the other two of the Three are important to, or even from, that same period, especially if Lot3 is an historical scholarly work...

That's cool. Guess he hand't earned the dagger yet. He hadn't betrayed the Empire then, obviously. And hadn't disarmed, slaughtered, and crucified 10,000 Malazans yet. I wonder, how long would he have lasted as their commander?

I agree with your second point, but then again the title of the work does imply that the Three are intimately related in one way or another. And there is Gamet's quote.
While I agree that it is possible the Three don't have to be from the same era, I doubt that would be the case. Kind of just wish I could read the damned thing.

I think Korbolo never commanded the BBs. Don't recall the Kalam/ Keneb conversation but remember that Kalam (as a claw/ Falah'dan solider before that) could've served with units besides the BBs.

There is a conversation between Stormy/ Gesler and Fiddler in HoC where he laments how they got Korbolo Dom as a commander once and were not as lucky as Fiddler who got Dujek/ WJ. I think this was the source of the confusion that KD had commanded the BBs. However, this is clearly not the case since Stormy and Gesler were never BBs.
Forum Member from the Old Days. Alive, but mostly inactive/ occasionally lurking

#23 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 06 April 2009 - 05:02 PM

View PostSkywalker, on Apr 6 2009, 01:33 AM, said:

I think Korbolo never commanded the BBs. Don't recall the Kalam/ Keneb conversation but remember that Kalam (as a claw/ Falah'dan solider before that) could've served with units besides the BBs.

There is a conversation between Stormy/ Gesler and Fiddler in HoC where he laments how they got Korbolo Dom as a commander once and were not as lucky as Fiddler who got Dujek/ WJ. I think this was the source of the confusion that KD had commanded the BBs. However, this is clearly not the case since Stormy and Gesler were never BBs.

Your puny mortal mind may be confused by Gesler and Stormy talking about it in HoC, but I am not one to just make this shit up without checking.

'DG, on UK mmpb, p. 371', said:

'I remember Korbolo Dom,' Kalam muttered.
'Thought you might. He was Whiskeyjack's replacement, wasn't he?'
'For a time. After Raraku. A superb tactician, but a little too bloodthirsty for my tastes. For Laseen, too, which was why she holed him in Halaf.'
'And promoted Dujek instead.' The captain laughed.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users