• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Malazan Art Guild Contest Winners!

#21 User is offline   Grimjust Bearegular 

• Irregular Bacon Berserker Medic of the Abyssmal Army
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:MAFIA, drawing and writing.
  • Godless killing machine - and proud of it!

Also, braaaaiiiinnnnzzzzzzzz!

Posted 03 April 2009 - 10:53 AM

View PostAssail, on Apr 2 2009, 09:28 AM, said:

Off the Kallor criticisms - I really like Whiskeyjack. I can't help but feel like the artist really captured him. The picture is probably my favourite out of all of them.

I totally agree. I really liked that one. he's even got the bridgeburner emblem on the cape...excellent work, IMO.

View PostPuck, on Apr 2 2009, 10:58 AM, said:

View PostGrimhilde, on Apr 2 2009, 10:21 AM, said:

Yes, yes, yes! My thoughts Exactly!

Christopher Walken as Kallor FTW!

and I'm surprised we didn't get more votes, Puck, cause our entries kicked ass!

I'm thinking "creatures" should be the theme for our next contest on DA...we need more creatures.

Also, we should have another contest here on the forum. Last time was fun! I know both myself and Onrack are working on Rake/Traveller pics, maybe we could make something out of that?

Second that ;) He's SO Kallor! Should I ever do a Kallor picture, I'll use him as reference.

Yeah, they certainly did :D Honestly, I'm really surprised your Burn didn't get into the tor pics, I really liked it :D

Creatures seem a good idea to me, would that be also other races, like the FA, or which creatures? I'd be in again, I think ;)
I'm currently working on a pic of Tehol and Bugg with Letheras and the Eternal Domicile as background, though that's no way a rival to both of your - yours and Onracks - Rake pics.

On a general note, I don't know, maybe some don't agree with me and I probably said that already, but I think that if you do a contest of drawing characters [creatures, whatever] from books, be it SE's other of other authors, people should at least think about how the character is portrayed in the books. Search for quotes, if you can spare the time. When I judged the entries for myself, I looked first at whether the characters we know from the books are shown, not exactly how I imagine them, just the overall feeling should be there. I don't care which medium was used or which technique or whether the colours are nice, just get the character's image/feeling across, and the rest is secondary, because if one gets the feeling across one usually choses the right materials unconsciously.

Anyway, just my 2cents :)

Yeah, me too:P This forum is going to ble flooded with Cristopher Walkenesque Kallors :D

Creatures would be KCCM (all types, especially the ones in the DoD prologue) and Nahruks , Hounds of Light/Shadow/Darkness, Dejim Nebrahl, dragons (alive and undead),demons (lots and lots of demons) enkar'al, Imass, dhenrabi, soletakens, Forkrul, Jaghut, Tufty...basically anything that isn't a "human character". the Tisteraces would fall under human characters I think. We could probably have a contest dedicated only to the Tiste. We have yet to see a decent portrait of a Tiste Liosan...ah, so many ideas!

I'm really looking forward to your Tehol and Bugg pic...those guys are so cool.

And on your general note: I agree. I use the books and Encyclopedia malazica extensively when doing a Malazan painting, just to make it as "canon" as possible. But I probably made that clear in the Rake's Armour thread:P Hopefully I'll get lots of time to paint this weekend:)
Things and stuffs...and other important objects.

#22 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 05 May 2009 - 12:15 PM

They're all good in their own way, but I like the Whiskeyjack one the best. Like Nethers' Beddict Bros in the other thread, you can just read the character from it. Expressive - that's the word - but without unnecessary detail. I don't know how to describe it sorry - I'm not an arty type. :p

Cheers,

La Sombra, prefers "artistically differently enabled"
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#23 User is offline   Grimjust Bearegular 

• View gallery

Posted 06 May 2009 - 01:36 PM

View PostSombra, on May 5 2009, 12:15 PM, said:

They're all good in their own way, but I like the Whiskeyjack one the best. Like Nethers' Beddict Bros in the other thread, you can just read the character from it. Expressive - that's the word - but without unnecessary detail. I don't know how to describe it sorry - I'm not an arty type. :p

Cheers,

La Sombra, prefers "artistically differently enabled"

yes, exactly!

#24 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 21 June 2009 - 04:38 PM

what was the voting held like? :/

Whiskeyjack owns all the other pieces combined. the only one of them that I feel captures the essence of the character it depicts. Seren looks ages too young and not nearly worn down enough. Mogora, well, I just plain don't like that picture, I just don't know where to start, I guess the "humorous" idea behind it just pisses me off. Korlat, well, looks too sheepish for herself in my eyes, not to mention the colourful garb...
don't even get me started on Kallor. he looks like a blind and mind-addled village elder. geez.

no, I won't say I could've done something better, once I understood I suck at creating things I stopped doing it... but people, a contest calls for some... level. there's tonnes of pictures in this very forum that beat most of these entries by miles. sigh. I'll probably get flamed for this, but I just can't keep my mouth shut this time.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#25 User is offline   Grimjust Bearegular 

• View gallery

Posted 21 June 2009 - 07:09 PM

View PostGothos, on Jun 21 2009, 05:38 PM, said:

what was the voting held like? :/

Whiskeyjack owns all the other pieces combined. the only one of them that I feel captures the essence of the character it depicts. Seren looks ages too young and not nearly worn down enough. Mogora, well, I just plain don't like that picture, I just don't know where to start, I guess the "humorous" idea behind it just pisses me off. Korlat, well, looks too sheepish for herself in my eyes, not to mention the colourful garb...
don't even get me started on Kallor. he looks like a blind and mind-addled village elder. geez.

no, I won't say I could've done something better, once I understood I suck at creating things I stopped doing it... but people, a contest calls for some... level. there's tonnes of pictures in this very forum that beat most of these entries by miles. sigh. I'll probably get flamed for this, but I just can't keep my mouth shut this time.

Voting was anonymous and all members got three votes each. They voted by PM and I counted them. Both I and Puck entered, me with my Burn picture and Puck with her painting of Silchas Ruin and we got like one vote each, which is weird since ours were awesome :p

As for the rest of your comment: I agree.

#26 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 21 June 2009 - 09:49 PM

uh, where can I see them runner-ups?
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#27 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 22 June 2009 - 11:47 AM

Follow the link: http://malazan-art-guild.deviantart.com/ga...Contest-Entries

Though there aren't many more, half of the entries got placed.. I for one do understand that i didn't get many votes, but I still don't understand why Grim's Burn didn't get a place among the first, it's really good which ever way I look at it, better then Kallor all the way.

This post has been edited by Puck: 22 June 2009 - 11:49 AM

Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#28 User is offline   Paddycolver 

• Recruit

Posted 03 August 2009 - 03:40 PM

well I didnt vote as I wasnt a member then, but I love Magora (sp?). the fact it is comical works, as her and Pusts' dialogue have given me some of the best laughs in many years.

As for Kalor..i have always seen him as looking frail, just his stance and eyes tell a different story. In one of the books (possibly the latest) I think I remember someone describing him as looking like he couldnt even lift his greatsword.

#29 User is offline   Spirit with spirit 

• Recruit

Posted 04 August 2009 - 05:10 AM

I think whoever painted Kallor was reading "The Hobbit", not anything Malazan Empire-ish.

#30 User is offline   Grimjust Bearegular 

• View gallery

Posted 04 August 2009 - 12:01 PM

View PostSpirit with spirit, on Aug 4 2009, 05:10 AM, said:

I think whoever painted Kallor was reading "The Hobbit", not anything Malazan Empire-ish.

lol!

#31 User is offline   Kresslack 

• Recruit

Posted 11 August 2009 - 08:46 AM

The Kallor Timmet posted looks like a complete pansy tbh.

#32 User is offline   Grimjust Bearegular 

• View gallery

Posted 12 August 2009 - 11:42 AM

View PostKresslack, on Aug 11 2009, 09:46 AM, said:

The Kallor Timmet posted looks like a complete pansy tbh.

Yeah, but you should see Timmet’s Coltaine piece…it’s really good!

#33 User is offline   Corabb Bhilan Thenu'alas 

• Chosen by Oponn, Beloved of the Lady

Posted 01 October 2009 - 09:57 PM

I liked the Kallor drawing. You know he's a bad boy cause he looks like Palpatine in chain mail, and that old bastard could swing a sabre, dig it?
"Ah, she has roe. Delicious."

#34 User is offline   RaZjInSaR 

• First Sword

Posted 14 December 2009 - 12:29 AM

They're all great really :D althought admitedly no matter what interpretations I'm sure it'd be extremely hard (or impossible) to get spot on with Eriksons description and imagination without seeking every little detail possible :D Alas with that said, indeed Kallor looks like a little too old and panzy for a real Kallor, but the art/ability of that picture is still pretty great, just needs a few mods to man him up a little :D

#35 User is offline   sappers to the breach 

• Corporal

Posted 15 December 2009 - 06:54 AM

about morga isnt she a dal honses and arn't they very dark skinned, i always imagin them as like haitians.
wit da way day be tok'n
i just get that feel

This post has been edited by sappers to the breach: 15 December 2009 - 06:55 AM

Sappers in the breach.

#36 User is offline   Kartivity 

• Recruit

Posted 16 December 2009 - 05:32 AM

Aptorian, I laughed a lot on your comments. Funny stuff haha. I agree, no way is that dude Kallor. I liked Whiskeyjack a lot and Korlat as well. I haven't read all the books so I don't know who the winner is.

#37 User is offline   Niva 

• Recruit
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Reading, Art, Bodybuilding

Posted 29 June 2011 - 12:11 AM

Cool stuff. Kallor drawing is a good one, but the concept to me looks more like I imagined Iskaral Pust.
My website: eternalseven.com

#38 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 10 July 2011 - 05:08 PM

i am 90% certain Kallor is supposed to have a beard and massive shoulders.

But otherwise, nice pics all around.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#39 User is offline   Whiskey Bass 

• Grand High Cook of High House Bass(e)
  • "Dont gain the world and lose your sole, wisdom is better than silver and gold"

Posted 17 July 2011 - 09:13 PM

I see Kallor as 'old Angel Eyes' Lee Van Cleef :thumbsup:

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by j2tks: 17 July 2011 - 09:14 PM

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users