• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Prologue - Liosan? I think not! Rate Topic: -----

#61 User is offline   Tarcanus 

• Lord of the Tarcans
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 29 April 2009 - 05:15 PM

the boneskinned inquisitors go on about the greater good which kinda fits liosan. But what motivation do they have? Its definitely not FA. Also whoever these inquisitors are they seem almost subserviant to these 'fathers' which sugggest there not Liosan. i know they dabble in father worship and are a patriarchal society but really there likely not be either liosan or FA

Also, you just said they are a patriarchal society. We've also never heard of what their societal structure is like. Who's to say they don't have generals of some sort they call Fathers? Or perhaps in Liosan society Fathers are territorial rulers, or city leaders.

#62 User is offline   T'renn 

• First Sword
  • Cussing Forevah

Posted 29 April 2009 - 05:36 PM

Well, it appears to me that the Liosan we've seen are

-Religious fanatics
-Arrogant
-Egocentric bastards

Perfect mix for religious war and inquisition

It seems very well possible to me it are the liosan

but not certain, there are myriad possibilities

This post has been edited by Imperial High Mage Tayschrenn: 29 April 2009 - 05:36 PM

...Every tale is a gift,
And the scars bourne by us both,
are easily missed,
In the distance between us.

-Fisher-

Don't be blind,
Mind,
To be kind,
For you will find,

Kindness has its own rewards,
and each must find his way to heaven

-T.D. Mengerink-

#63 User is offline   Skywalker 

• Mortal LightSaber
  • Pedant.

Posted 30 April 2009 - 06:09 AM

I maintain my crazy theory that they are White Moranth until I am proved otherwise :(
Forum Member from the Old Days. Alive, but mostly inactive/ occasionally lurking

#64 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 30 April 2009 - 09:07 AM

I don't see it being the Liosan. First of all, why would they finally come out of isolation after all this time to terrorise the remnants of the Kolansii (thats not right...what's the collective for Kolanse?)? It makes no sense. There is no association between the two civilisations. Besides, I would've thought, if they were to leave Kurald Liosan at all, it would be to find Osric, not prey on the remnants of a starving civilisation. I guess the CG could've corrupted them, but how would he influence them? They're completely shut off from everyone else.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#65 User is offline   masan's saddle 

• Emperor

Posted 30 April 2009 - 11:42 PM

Sort of related to this, there are supposed to be clans of T'lan Imass on Assail ?

Sorry I can't remember if its mentioned who they are supposed to be fighting, I really need to speed up my re-read !

Anybody know, or if this possibly has any bearing on who the " bone skinned inquisitors" might be ?
Now all the friends that you knew in school they used to be so cool, now they just bore you.
Just look at em' now, already pullin' the plow. So quick to take to grain, like some old mule.

#66 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 30 April 2009 - 11:55 PM

there is, the ifayle, the kehrlum and one more i think. they've been pretty much wiped out though
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#67 User is offline   masan's saddle 

• Emperor

Posted 01 May 2009 - 12:12 AM

View PostSinisdar Toste, on May 1 2009, 12:55 AM, said:

there is, the ifayle, the kehrlum and one more i think. they've been pretty much wiped out though

Cool. :)

So, any ideas on who's wiped them out ? ( I can't remember it being mentioned, I do have the memory of a fruit fly though ! :) )

I'm (again !) not sure if this has been discussed before, but considering the prologue and setting for the next book, it's probably something worth discussing.

Who/what could lay waste a couple of clans of T'lan Imass ?
Now all the friends that you knew in school they used to be so cool, now they just bore you.
Just look at em' now, already pullin' the plow. So quick to take to grain, like some old mule.

#68 User is offline   Ammanas 

• UberSchemer

Posted 01 May 2009 - 12:17 AM

Wow, seems like everyone is reading way too much into this.

Skin is the exterior layer of every being we have seen.

"Bone-skinned" would mean visible bones. The T'lan Imass are the only creatures that fit this description.

This post has been edited by Ammanas: 01 May 2009 - 12:25 AM

#69 User is offline   beru 

• shy guy
  • Interests:gaming (strategy/tactic first persons)<br />reading<br />swiming

Posted 01 May 2009 - 12:25 AM

View Postmasan's saddle, on May 1 2009, 02:12 AM, said:

View PostSinisdar Toste, on May 1 2009, 12:55 AM, said:

Cool. :)

So, any ideas on who's wiped them out ? ( I can't remember it being mentioned, I do have the memory of a fruit fly though ! :) )

I'm (again !) not sure if this has been discussed before, but considering the prologue and setting for the next book, it's probably something worth discussing.

Who/what could lay waste a couple of clans of T'lan Imass ?

humans... i WANT TO READ ABOUT ASSAIL DAMN YOU SE AND ICE GIVE ME ASSIAL
i want to see this world where T'lan imass kneels

#70 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 01 May 2009 - 06:14 AM

Didn't Traveller and co. land on Assail in RotCG? We saw a lot of mages, so maybe they're the rulers kicking major T'lan ass.

I think ICE is going to Assail in the 5th book, after Stonewielder and the Darujhistan one, so I don't think we'll see any parts of Assail until 2011-2012 maybe.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#71 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 01 May 2009 - 06:43 AM

View PostAmmanas, on May 1 2009, 02:17 AM, said:

"Bone-skinned" would mean visible bones. The T'lan Imass are the only creatures that fit this description.

People who are starved fit that description. There's a famine in Kolanse. People are killing people. Soldiers are eating children. Business as usual.

WHat is most likely? T'lan Imass chasing human being for fun, eating them, etc. or human beings being their usual cruel selves?

#72 User is offline   Blend 

• Gentleman of High House Mafia
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 01 May 2009 - 08:22 PM

View PostAmmanas, on May 1 2009, 12:17 AM, said:

Though I don't agree that's it's OBVIOUSLY the T'lan Imass, I'm also surprised it wasn't brought up earlier (except maybe in jest once?). I thought it was them all along too. One of the clans that didn't show up after Silverfox's call. Anyway, having read other posts, I could see it being Barghast. I'd like to point out, though, that it's only the Whiteface Barghasts that paint their faces white. Granted, the Whiteface are currently in the area, so I will put my lot in that. Still, T'lan Imass was my first thought on it!
There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail - should we fall - we will know that we have lived. ~ Anomander Rake
My sig comes from a game in which I didn't heed Blend's advice. So maybe this time I should. ~ Khellendros
I'm just going to have to come to terms with the fact that self-vote suiciding will forever be referred to as "pulling a JPK" now, aren't I? ~ JPK

#73 User is offline   Ammanas 

• UberSchemer

Posted 02 May 2009 - 01:44 AM

Hmm, the Liosan angle is interesting. I just think SE would describe them as "light-drenched" as opposed to "bone-skinned." The few bits I remember about Liosans from MT are 1) they DESPISE Andii cuz they have "nothing of the Father within them." 2) After getting a taste of Liosan arrogance, Onrack states its unfortunate the Imass never encountered Liosans because they would have provided a suitable race to destroy. The Imass chasing Onrack in MT dived right into Kurald Liosan to destroy what they thought was the Liosan god. Nowhere did they express doubt about their ability to defeat the God.

My theory is the Imass view themselves as a timeless and purifying force, regardless of their prattle to Silverfox about being "weary." As soon as she mentions the clans being destroyed on Assail, the Imass under her forget their desire for oblivion and agree to accompany her. Consider what they did to the Jaghut. Or maybe, the Vow transformed them into a cleansing force and this is what they want release from.

Another example--look at Tool's persistent desire to challenge the Seguleh. When he finally duels and loses to Mok, Kilava almost kills Mok, saying something like "Imass must have no equals."

Let me ask everyone this---if Kellanved had NOT sat on the 1st throne, do you think the Imass would have found a "cause" in the growing Malazan empire?

#74 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 02 May 2009 - 07:02 AM

View PostAmmanas, on May 2 2009, 03:44 AM, said:

Hmm, the Liosan angle is interesting. I just think SE would describe them as "light-drenched" as opposed to "bone-skinned." The few bits I remember about Liosans from MT are 1) they DESPISE Andii cuz they have "nothing of the Father within them." 2) After getting a taste of Liosan arrogance, Onrack states its unfortunate the Imass never encountered Liosans because they would have provided a suitable race to destroy. The Imass chasing Onrack in MT dived right into Kurald Liosan to destroy what they thought was the Liosan god. Nowhere did they express doubt about their ability to defeat the God.

My theory is the Imass view themselves as a timeless and purifying force, regardless of their prattle to Silverfox about being "weary." As soon as she mentions the clans being destroyed on Assail, the Imass under her forget their desire for oblivion and agree to accompany her. Consider what they did to the Jaghut. Or maybe, the Vow transformed them into a cleansing force and this is what they want release from.

Another example--look at Tool's persistent desire to challenge the Seguleh. When he finally duels and loses to Mok, Kilava almost kills Mok, saying something like "Imass must have no equals."

Let me ask everyone this---if Kellanved had NOT sat on the 1st throne, do you think the Imass would have found a "cause" in the growing Malazan empire?

You're twisting the purpose and mentalities of the Imass here.

The Imass in HoC did not kill the Guardian because they thought it was a god, they killed it because they knew that it was a false god. The Imass was once controlled by Jaghut Tyrants that pretended to be gods and treated them cruelly. The Imass became undead to rid the world of such impostors and their lies.

I don't remember the T'lan Imass view of Liosan, but Onrack states that if the Edur expanded their tyranny to the outside world, they would get the attention of the Imass.

Kilava would have killed Mok (tried to kill him anyway) out of love for Tool, it wasn't about no race being allowed to surpass the Imass.

And finally, the Malazan Empire is a benevolent one. It's not an exceptionally cruel tyranny, It's just a mortal empire. That is the kind of society that the T'lan Imass became undead to protect.

#75 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 02 May 2009 - 07:18 AM

Actually Apt, I think Kilava said something along the lines of "the First Sword must have no equal!", so there must've been some sort of Imass pride in her motivation to attack Mok.

#76 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 02 May 2009 - 07:21 AM

View PostMappo's Travelling Sack, on May 2 2009, 09:18 AM, said:

Actually Apt, I think Kilava said something along the lines of "the First Sword must have no equal!", so there must've been some sort of Imass pride in her motivation to attack Mok.

Yeah, but I think that her outburst and the threat she possed was still motivated by the first sword being her brother. The Imass are honorable creatures, I believe they would respect the fact that Tool lost to Mok, only they might continue sending new Imass Champions at him untill he one day lost.

Kilava is not exactly the one who is most obsessed with Imass customs, having broken every rule and all :)

#77 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 02 May 2009 - 07:26 AM

Good point; Tool respects the outcome of the duel, which lends credence to Imass honour. But Kilava hasn't broken every rule, just those that have involved the Ritual or come after it. She might still have in her heart a respect for the customs of the Imass, not the T'lan. And the Imass believed that the First Sword had no equal with the sword, probably because they didn't come across any good sword-wielding races before the Ritual. That's a big blow to your pride as well, thinking for thousands of years that your brother has no equal with the sword, then realising that he got his ass whupped.

This post has been edited by Mappo's Travelling Sack: 02 May 2009 - 07:29 AM

#78 User is offline   Ammanas 

• UberSchemer

Posted 02 May 2009 - 09:53 PM

I don't remember the T'lan Imass view of Liosan, but Onrack states that if the Edur expanded their tyranny to the outside world, they would get the attention of the Imass.

It wasn't the Edur, it was the Liosan. P 329, MT, "I have always believed the T'lan Imass should seek out a new enemy. There is, after all, no shortage to be noted among arrogant beings. Perhaps you Tiste Liosan are numerous enough in your own realm to amuse us for a time."

The Imass are a purifying force with an infinite customer base.

#79 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 02 May 2009 - 09:56 PM

View PostAmmanas, on May 2 2009, 05:53 PM, said:

It wasn't the Edur, it was the Liosan. P 329, MT, "I have always believed the T'lan Imass should seek out a new enemy. There is, after all, no shortage to be noted among arrogant beings. Perhaps you Tiste Liosan are numerous enough in your own realm to amuse us for a time."

The Imass are a purifying force with an infinite customer base.

But not infinite employees for customer service. ~Assail.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users