• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Prologue - Liosan? I think not! Rate Topic: -----

#41 User is offline   Onos 

• Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 31 March 2009 - 05:37 PM

In a landscape torn with grief, the carcasses of six dragons lay strewn in a ragged row reaching a thousand or more paces across the plain, flesh split apart, broken bones jutting, jaws gaping and eyes brittle-dry. Where their blood had spilled out onto the ground wraiths had gathered like flies to sap and were now ensnared, the ghosts writhing and voicing hollow cries of despair, as the blood darkened, fusing with the lifeless soil, and, when at last the substance grew indurate, hardening into glassy stone, those ghosts were doomed to an eternity trapped within that murky prison.
The naked creature that traversed the rough path formed by the fallen dragons was a match to their mass, yet bound to the earth, and it walked on two bowed legs, the thighs thick as thousand-year old trees. The width of its shoulders was equal to the length of a Tartheno Toblakai’s height; from a thick neck hidden beneath a mane of glossy black hair, the frontal portion of the head was thrust forward -- brow, cheek-bones and jaw, and its deep-set eyes revealed black pupils surrounded in opalescent white. The huge arms were disproportionately long, the enormous hands almost scraping the ground. Its breasts were large, pendulous and pale. As it strode past the battered, rotting carcasses, the motion of its gait was strangely fluid, not at all lumbering, and each limb was revealed to possess extra joints.
Skin the hue of sun-bleached bone, darkening to veined red at the ends of the creature’s arms, bruises surrounding the knuckles, a lattice-work of cracked flesh exposing the bone here and there. The hands had seen damage, the result of delivering devastating blows.

This is the RG prologue talking about Killy. She has the connection with the FA. Skin color seems to match. Do we have other FA color desciptions?

#42 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 01 April 2009 - 08:06 AM

View PostOnos, on Mar 31 2009, 06:37 PM, said:

In a landscape torn with grief, the carcasses of six dragons lay strewn in a ragged row reaching a thousand or more paces across the plain, flesh split apart, broken bones jutting, jaws gaping and eyes brittle-dry. Where their blood had spilled out onto the ground wraiths had gathered like flies to sap and were now ensnared, the ghosts writhing and voicing hollow cries of despair, as the blood darkened, fusing with the lifeless soil, and, when at last the substance grew indurate, hardening into glassy stone, those ghosts were doomed to an eternity trapped within that murky prison.
The naked creature that traversed the rough path formed by the fallen dragons was a match to their mass, yet bound to the earth, and it walked on two bowed legs, the thighs thick as thousand-year old trees. The width of its shoulders was equal to the length of a Tartheno Toblakai’s height; from a thick neck hidden beneath a mane of glossy black hair, the frontal portion of the head was thrust forward -- brow, cheek-bones and jaw, and its deep-set eyes revealed black pupils surrounded in opalescent white. The huge arms were disproportionately long, the enormous hands almost scraping the ground. Its breasts were large, pendulous and pale. As it strode past the battered, rotting carcasses, the motion of its gait was strangely fluid, not at all lumbering, and each limb was revealed to possess extra joints.
Skin the hue of sun-bleached bone, darkening to veined red at the ends of the creature’s arms, bruises surrounding the knuckles, a lattice-work of cracked flesh exposing the bone here and there. The hands had seen damage, the result of delivering devastating blows.

This is the RG prologue talking about Killy. She has the connection with the FA. Skin color seems to match. Do we have other FA color desciptions?

nice one :p
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#43 User is offline   Tiger_sword 

• First Sword

Posted 01 April 2009 - 08:55 AM

In HoC Calm's skin is described as the colour of polished marble

#44 User is offline   Onos 

• Fist

Posted 01 April 2009 - 05:53 PM

What is the purpose of FA? To my knowledge it is 'bringing peace' to things. AKA making them dead. Now i understand that in general FA seem more solitary and they seem like a race that generally has no need to for help from others, but it does seem like someone is 'bringing peace' across the greater Kolanse area. And their skill color is a match.

Either CG convinced/tricked some of them to join him, or they dont have a problem with people helping them 'bring peace' in return for not being killed out right. (a large mob + FA will kill more than just FA)

#45 User is offline   masan's saddle 

• Emperor

Posted 02 April 2009 - 02:56 AM

Can't be 100% about the bone skinned chaps being FA, however just re-read the bit in HoC when Karsa and his 2 pals bump into Calm,

Spoiler

Hmmm, even if it turns out that the " bone skinned inquisitors" are not FA, I think we're still gonna get some action from the "Bringer of Peace" at some point,

Spoiler

( HoC, pgs 94,95,97. Bantam Books)

So, it looks like we have an FA in direct opposition to Karsa and by association, the CG ?

Does Calm have the " complete picture" of what Karsa will become through some form of prescience as her hinting at his "ultimate purpose" implies. Or does she sense only the hand of chaos and a need to "bring peace" ?

Who knows, but I feel a convergence coming on ;)

This post has been edited by masan's saddle: 02 April 2009 - 03:07 AM

Now all the friends that you knew in school they used to be so cool, now they just bore you.
Just look at em' now, already pullin' the plow. So quick to take to grain, like some old mule.

#46 User is offline   James Hetfield 

• Sergeant
  • Interests:Women, alcohol and MBotF

Posted 02 April 2009 - 04:05 AM

This could be way off, but I will throw it out there anyway----

Could it be the Barghast? From what I recall, and I could be wron'g, the barghast have a weird kind of armor that is worn almost like a second skin, perhaps even fused into their skin kinda KC'CMish.

Plus we know they paint their faces white, at least Hetan and co. did. They also put grease on their bodies and it could be white.

I know this is a lot o' speculation but I just thought I would put another possibility out there.

And yes I know most or all of the Barghast were on the Awl plains last we heard.

#47 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 02 April 2009 - 05:15 AM

your confusing the barghast with the moranth, who have exoskeltal armour of some sort. the barghast dont but they do have painted white faces. all in all it seems unlikely that it's either group
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#48 User is offline   Tarcanus 

• Lord of the Tarcans

Posted 02 April 2009 - 05:53 PM

To add to the crazy theory about the Liosan, I want to add in the other theory that Held may have been Edur since her descriptions were filled with mentions of shadow. I will now stretch this theory further.

The descriptors bone-skinned and inquisitors both fit with the Liosan. Now, I'm probably way off, since I haven't re-read HoC in quite a while, but didn't the Liosan attack Trull and Onrack? Or at least try. Perhaps the Liosan dislike Edur. If the people of Kolanse are somehow Edur-descended, it may be that the Liosan would choose Kolanse to begin another Just War. Perhaps the FA are mixed in there, too, and the Kolanse-folk are just caught in the middle in some way.

#49 User is offline   Lister of Smeg 

• King of High House Smeg

Posted 02 April 2009 - 06:00 PM

The Liosan don't exactly hate the Edur. From what we've seen, they seem to pity them and think the Edur are only good as slaves. Whereas they really hate the Andii.
Avoid being seen as racist by saying, "I'm not a racist, but ..." prior to making a racist comment.

#50 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 03 April 2009 - 09:52 PM

View PostLister of Smeg, on Apr 2 2009, 01:00 PM, said:

The Liosan don't exactly hate the Edur. From what we've seen, they seem to pity them and think the Edur are only good as slaves. Whereas they really hate the Andii.

The Liosan view themselves as the highpoint of civilization, and allow edur in their presence since they have felt father light's touch, almost like they pity them. The Andii they hate since they are mother dark's children (mother dark seduced father light, THAT BITCH!!!! ;)).

As for other societies, I think they would allow them to be subservient, but I cannot wrap my mind around an honor based society allowing, nay HELPING, one side rape and devour the other. I just cannot see it happening.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#51 User is offline   Urizen 

• First Sword

Posted 04 April 2009 - 09:22 AM

View PostObdigore, on Apr 3 2009, 10:52 PM, said:

As for other societies, I think they would allow them to be subservient, but I cannot wrap my mind around an honor based society allowing, nay HELPING, one side rape and devour the other. I just cannot see it happening.

I can. I can see the Liosans going along with it in the name of necessity and the greater good. Especially since the those exposed to it are, from the Liosans PoV, "lesser" beings.

Besides, are the Liosan society so honor based really? I don't recall. The few Liosan's we see are not especially honorble.
" Ah, I despair, or I would if I cared enough. No, instead, I will make some ashcakes. Which I will not share."

#52 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 04 April 2009 - 03:46 PM

View PostUrizen, on Apr 4 2009, 04:22 AM, said:

Besides, are the Liosan society so honor based really? I don't recall. The few Liosan's we see are not especially honorble.

I agree. Just because they talk all fancy and consider themselves superior to everyone else doesn't make them give a rat's ass about honor. If anything I'd think it was the very opposite case...

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#53 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 06 April 2009 - 07:20 PM

the boneskinned inquisitors go on about the greater good which kinda fits liosan. But what motivation do they have? Its definitely not FA. Also whoever these inquisitors are they seem almost subserviant to these 'fathers' which sugggest there not Liosan. i know they dabble in father worship and are a patriarchal society but really there likely not be either liosan or FA

#54 User is offline   Urizen 

• First Sword

Posted 06 April 2009 - 09:29 PM

View Posttiam, on Apr 6 2009, 07:20 PM, said:

the boneskinned inquisitors go on about the greater good which kinda fits liosan. But what motivation do they have? Its definitely not FA. Also whoever these inquisitors are they seem almost subserviant to these 'fathers' which sugggest there not Liosan. i know they dabble in father worship and are a patriarchal society but really there likely not be either liosan or FA

The motivation might be to exterminate the lesser races to save them from themselves. So that they don't have to suffer under the corrupting influence of the Crippled God for instance.
" Ah, I despair, or I would if I cared enough. No, instead, I will make some ashcakes. Which I will not share."

#55 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant

Posted 07 April 2009 - 11:43 AM

possible but that means detroying all humans so that they cannot be manipulated by the CG is a pretty hefty means to an end

#56 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 07 April 2009 - 01:30 PM

and if there ever was a race ripe for corruption by the CG its the liosan themselves, arrogant, and ignorant as all get out
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#57 User is offline   blackzoid 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 07 April 2009 - 02:09 PM

Why all the Liosan hate? We only had pov from 4-5 of them. And we consign the race as being evil SOB's?
Loric wasn't that bad. Osserc is an idiot but not evil. And the 4 guys were humorous more then anything else.
What about the ignorance/arrogence of humans/Teblor. Is Karsa so much more special then the Liosan?

For what its worth, I don't think the group mentioned in the prologue is either FA or Liosan. ICE will be dealing with them I think. As races anyway, (there may be individual FA/Liosan in the last 2 books, but not groups of them I imagine).
A new group of humans is what it sounds like to me.

And Calm won't be meeting Karsa until the end of the TTT trilogy. Count on it. Thats when Karsa will lead his Teblor army, and thats when Calm will meet up with him.

This post has been edited by blackzoid: 07 April 2009 - 02:14 PM

#58 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant

Posted 07 April 2009 - 03:24 PM

View Postblackzoid, on Apr 7 2009, 03:09 PM, said:

Why all the Liosan hate? We only had pov from 4-5 of them. And we consign the race as being evil SOB's?
Loric wasn't that bad. Osserc is an idiot but not evil. And the 4 guys were humorous more then anything else.
What about the ignorance/arrogence of humans/Teblor. Is Karsa so much more special then the Liosan?

For what its worth, I don't think the group mentioned in the prologue is either FA or Liosan. ICE will be dealing with them I think. As races anyway, (there may be individual FA/Liosan in the last 2 books, but not groups of them I imagine).
A new group of humans is what it sounds like to me.

And Calm won't be meeting Karsa until the end of the TTT trilogy. Count on it. Thats when Karsa will lead his Teblor army, and thats when Calm will meet up with him.

Yeh i do agree that its likely humans. but i dont think ICE will be dealing with the FA and the Liosan. I think either could. just because ICE has got Assail doesnt mean hes got the race as there seems to be alot of human activity on Assail.

As for the Liosan id say SE will take that on. Duno why but it seems like hes already introduced them so hell carry them on.

#59 User is offline   Varan 

• Sergeant

Posted 25 April 2009 - 09:51 AM

For what its worth I think the inquisitors are either FA or Liosan, both have a weird sense of justice/honour and by the looks of things, its mostly children who haven't hit puberty that have survived i.e they let them llive becuase their innocent or something along those lines whilst all adults have been killed.

They say its neccessary so perhaps its FA their spilling blood, elder gods = blood worship = looking to release killy?? very far-fetched but its a theory..

And I think theres more than one faction running around the area atm, I reckon whoever did in kalyth's tribe was different to the inquistors..

#60 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 25 April 2009 - 01:39 PM

View Posttiam, on Apr 6 2009, 08:20 PM, said:

definitly not FA? What do you base that upon?
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users