Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Malazan IRC?

#1 User is offline   Sixty 

• Don't be fooled. I am very serious.
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 21 March 2009 - 04:01 AM

I was just wondering about this and there's usually at least 20-something people online...why isn't there an IRC?

Could be a good way to get a lot of forum game type things done quickly. Maybe even super-mini (1-2 hour) mafia games or something? Dunno.

:S

#2 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 21 March 2009 - 07:43 AM

Uh oh! In before Silencer swoops in!

Silencer has been thinking about adding a IRC addon on to the forum. I know he has posted links to IRC channels he could host for Malazan members.

I just tried doing a search but nothing popped up. I'll leave him to swoop in and make a reply.

I believe the argument against it is that we're a small book forum, it probably wont be a succes and may even damage the activity on the forum.

#3 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 21 March 2009 - 07:47 AM

Yes, we can use infiniteknight IRC - I can get us a room there. Hell, I'd love to have you all use it.

Apt summed it up nicely though. Most people laughed at this suggestion the first time I put it forward, so meh.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#4 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Football

Posted 21 March 2009 - 07:54 AM

I laugh at this suggestion whose meaning of which I have no knowledge!

Can we like incorporate it, or what? Will there be a little button or... nevermind. I'm drunk and stupid.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#5 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 21 March 2009 - 08:15 AM

Well, the coolest option would be if the IRC addon could work like the MSN/chat function they added to Facebook, where you can start a conversation with your friends if you see them online.

It's like a little icon/link in the bottom you click and a small window pops up you can make conversation in.

#6 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 21 March 2009 - 08:17 AM

The way that is stated makes me think it would never work. The "coolest option" almost never works.

Color me a pessimist.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#7 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 21 March 2009 - 08:27 AM

Silencer has said it's a possibility. But really what is the point of taking the conversation out of the board and into IRC. Plenty of the regulars already communicate over MSN, I used to aswell, but then I decided that MSN was a horrible leash that let my friends contact me when ever I turned on my computer, and I value my privacy damn it!

#8 User is offline   Sindriss 

• Walker of Edges

Posted 21 March 2009 - 10:22 AM

Well, we could just make a channel on quakenet which is free and use that? I could help setting it up, been on irc for the past 3 years and moderating since I am admin of a fairly large and famous DotA channel :X

I would like to know if Steve have ever tasted anything like the quorl white milk, that knocked the bb's out.

A: Nope, but I gots me a good imagination.

#9 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • Group: LHTEC
  • Interests:Dungeons and Dragons, and the odd caramel slice.
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 21 March 2009 - 10:24 AM

What is IRC?
Suck it Errant!

"It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum...and I'm all out of gum."

QUOTE (KeithF @ Jun 30 2009, 09:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It has been proven beyond all reasonable doubt that the most powerful force on Wu is a bunch of messed-up Malazans with Moranth munitions.

#10 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 21 March 2009 - 11:06 AM

Aahh... the young ones. You have to love their innocense :X

IRC is a chat program you can download, it's from the olden days before forums like this one became popular.

This is bash.org an archive of some of the funniest conversations on IRC and similar chat programs. It is updated randomly with new stuff, some is great, some is just weird.

http://bash.org/?top

Don't expect to get all of the jokes since most of it is nerds, virgins and 13 year old programmers communicating... actually on second thought, the Malazan Spam Bot will probably fit right in.

#11 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 21 March 2009 - 11:09 AM

@Sindriss, nice suggestion, but we can just use InfiniteKnight...which would also be free, and is already set up. :X

@AIJ, ...

EDIT: And yes! Bash.org is WIN.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#12 User is offline   frookenhauer 

• Mortal Sword
  • Interests:Women
    Money
    AI
    Writing

Posted 21 March 2009 - 11:29 AM

Cool let's have Irc so I can chat to the people that I chat to on the empire. Hasn't messenger kind of superceded the whole irc thing? Cos I used it back in the day. Anyway if it happens I'll happily use it to swear at apt or take the mickey out of DW.
souls are for wimps

#13 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 21 March 2009 - 11:39 AM

Are you kidding? IRC has WAY more features than MSN. It's essentially real-time foruming...or as some have called it, "multiplayer notepad". :X

Shinrei said:

#14 User is offline   frookenhauer 

• Mortal Sword
  • Interests:Women
    Money
    AI
    Writing

Posted 21 March 2009 - 11:53 AM

Oh dear...It may seem that Silencers balls never really dropped...or maybe one dropped, give it time Silencer, patience!

I welcome all new improvements

(Damnit! can't remember what I wrote here...)

This post has been edited by Frookenhauer : 22 March 2009 - 12:52 AM

souls are for wimps

#15 User is offline   cauthon 

• Geek in progress
  • Interests:photography, fantasy

Posted 21 March 2009 - 01:15 PM

I'd prefer a non-browser based IRC channel, i.e., something one can get on using a regular IRC program. Such as BitchX :-)

#16 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 21 March 2009 - 04:48 PM

I use Trillain (cease your laughterr, cease I say) I pulls msn, aim and irc altogether nicely.

But anyone I need to chat to urgently for dip I have on aim/ msn (unless they dont have one listed)

One thing I will say, a chat room will really kill the random splatter that is the Inn

#17 User is offline   Sixty 

• Don't be fooled. I am very serious.

Posted 21 March 2009 - 06:50 PM

@Macros: That's true, but sometimes I'll be reading a thread, have maybe a <10 word response and I dunno, it feels almost wrong to be wasting forum space for something as minor as what I'm about to say.

Whereas IRC is essentially instant messaging, and prevents x-posts (mostly).

#18 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 21 March 2009 - 07:27 PM

if its in the Inn, I have no reservations making a short post, and if its in book, well, the likely hood of it being discussed in chat is slim.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users