• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Our new homepage

#1 User is offline   Malaclypse 

• Banned User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 12 March 2009 - 04:17 PM

Not completely finished but we're in the home stretch. What do you think?

All praise be to Theodorich II for implementing our unreasonable plan :D

http://malazanempire.com/site/

#2 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 12 March 2009 - 04:54 PM

I'm SO impressed.

- Abyss, impressed.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#3 User is offline   Malaclypse 

• Banned User

Posted 12 March 2009 - 04:54 PM

There are plenty more images to be added - the trick is in finding text to accompany them. We're thinking 20+ images rotating and all our resident artists represented. If any of the artists are watching and are disappointed to note that nothing of yours is featured as of yet, fear not - they are coming :D

#4 User is offline   Malaclypse 

• Banned User

Posted 12 March 2009 - 05:12 PM

Stand up and take a bow Theo! I see you :D

#5 User is offline   Thelomen Toblerone 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Team Handsome

Posted 12 March 2009 - 05:38 PM

Wow, that's fantastic - I love the changing artwork and quotes, and the layout is great - simple, accesible, good colour scheme. It's proper clean, as I would say.:D

#6 User is offline   Malaclypse 

• Banned User

Posted 12 March 2009 - 05:50 PM

View PostThelomen Toblerone, on Mar 12 2009, 05:38 PM, said:

Wow, that's fantastic - I love the changing artwork and quotes, and the layout is great - simple, accesible, good colour scheme. It's proper clean, as I would say.:D

Hey TT, how are you enjoying SE's tour copy of Toll? I assume Menandore has passed it on to you by now?

#7 User is offline   Hinter 

• First Sword
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 12 March 2009 - 05:54 PM

Very nice indeed.

#8 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 12 March 2009 - 05:55 PM

Great work theo, it's good to see we are finally going to get a new site up.

And I think Mal and Hetan should take a bow, for finding all the cool images and text and driving the new site design forward, we've spent far too long without the owners putting in the work the site deserved, and now we've got some willing to make the changes needed :D I think it's pretty clear this would never have seen the light of day without the hard work of both of them.

#9 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 12 March 2009 - 06:14 PM

looks pretty boss guys, but are the pics supposed to have some kind of timed exposure? cuz they seem cmpletely random at the moment
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#10 User is offline   Theoderich II 

• Fist

Posted 12 March 2009 - 06:16 PM

Web master's note:

Dear users,

I am Theoderich II, administrator at ModCraft.net, responsible for design, usability and managing all our ModCraft network websites. I am here to help out with design issues related to your board and website.

Users experienced a lot of changes on the web since the Web 2.0 and the social networking trend. More and more Internet applications and websites came up using state of the art design, usability and functionality. Some of them can be even interconnected or (partly) integrated into other websites such as Google Maps, Facebook or Windows Live via SOAP or RPC and behave almost like normal desktop applications.

Nowadays, web masters can resort to a vast variety of Internet technologies to maximize your browsing experience. Large companies and organizations standardize Internet protocols and languages such as XHTML or CSS and invent new technologies like AJAX. Thus browser developers such as the Mozilla Foundation or Opera Software need to update their browsers to keep up with the advancement.

Malazan Empire uses a powerful content management system enabling us to use the website for whatever comes to your mind. There are almost no limits in extensibility. Moreover, we used modern code style and a lot of CSS to create a dynamic and good-looking design template. However, this has its price.

Modern browsers have no problems with parsing modern code. We tested the website with Opera 9.6, Firefox 3, IE7 and IE8 and everything works fine. Our only stepchild is IE6.

IE6 is a untold disgrace even for Microsoft standards. IE6 doesn't care about standard compliance and parses the code as he likes. You cannot develop for such a tool. Therefore, we tried our best to keep the website functional at least, but there are design bugs that cannot be fixed without drawbacks on its appearance in other browsers. We feel helpless ourselves, but we cannot compensate 8 years Internet advancement and Microsoft's incapability for browser development.

Therefore we highly recommend to update your Internet Explorer to version 8 or use Firefox, Opera or Safari alternatively. You won't regret.

We ask for your understanding.

Sincerely yours

Anyway, recreating the website was only the first step. With it we created a brand new corporate identity for entire Malazan Empire. It's that dark themed style with imperial magenta for highlighting and some parchment. We keep things simple and elegant. Our next step is to create a new forum skin in the same style. I am really looking forward to development because working to together with you guys is fun and very constructive.

Thanks go to the moderator and administrator team for their great support! :D

- Theoderich II

#11 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 12 March 2009 - 06:27 PM

excellente!

the tiny bit of royal purple highlighting the map header is a ncie touch

I did laugh however at the activity links, for me it was "our new homepage" followed by stupid people = stu[pid music and Bloody thieves! methinks a limitation to the book forums (but I still feel spoilage is a massive consern there)

just noticed our little page icon, is that a mini imperial sigil?

but nice, I likes alot, especially the little things, like the current section you're in is highlighted in the purple again

#12 User is offline   Malaclypse 

• Banned User

Posted 12 March 2009 - 07:24 PM

View PostMacros, on Mar 12 2009, 06:27 PM, said:

excellente!

the tiny bit of royal purple highlighting the map header is a ncie touch

I did laugh however at the activity links, for me it was "our new homepage" followed by stupid people = stu[pid music and Bloody thieves! methinks a limitation to the book forums (but I still feel spoilage is a massive consern there)

just noticed our little page icon, is that a mini imperial sigil?

but nice, I likes alot, especially the little things, like the current section you're in is highlighted in the purple again

It's a miniature of the imperial sigil - like the icon on the map header. You wouldn't believe what a headache that purple colour was! *rolls eyes*
We will be working on the links shortly - for now it's just up and running to see how it works out in the "live" situation. :D
Thanks for the comments.

#13 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 12 March 2009 - 09:01 PM

Is the paypal function up and running or is it just for show at the moment?

EDIT: Oh and GOOD JOB TO ALL INVOLVED of course :D

#14 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 12 March 2009 - 09:02 PM

second that question

#15 User is offline   Theoderich II 

• Fist

Posted 12 March 2009 - 09:24 PM

The PayPal is fully functional. There are no 'fake elements' on the website. ^^

#16 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 12 March 2009 - 09:41 PM

Ah ok, it just sounded like Mal implied the site wasn't completely up and running yet.

#17 User is offline   Malaclypse 

• Banned User

Posted 12 March 2009 - 09:45 PM

To be honest, the only thing I've been paying any attention to in terms of the homepage was the images. I never clicked on any of the links until after we got it to a point where we could show it to everybody. I didn't think they worked either :D

#18 User is offline   Shinrei 

• charin charin

Posted 13 March 2009 - 02:35 AM

I can't wait to move into the new apartment and have fast internet again. The absolutely ghetto wireless I've had to use for the past 6 months is obviously overwhelmed by the site and I can't get it to load.

<cries>
You’ve never heard of the Silanda? … It’s the ship that made the Warren of Telas run in less than 12 parsecs.

#19 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 13 March 2009 - 02:39 AM

Really enjoy the new look, and that Sigil is fantastic.

One thing that I've noticed is the time with which an image stays on screen. On a few of them the text-tied into the pic was long and I didn't get to read it all before it moved on to another image. Obviously a minor concern, but put our best face forward to the internets, right?
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#20 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 13 March 2009 - 03:20 AM

Woot! Love it!

So how does the Login/Logout in the bottom left work? Is that a tie to the main forum or something else?

This post has been edited by D'rek: 13 March 2009 - 03:24 AM

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users