• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Overpowered characters. Guess who? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Jumpy 

• Sergeant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 06 March 2009 - 11:49 PM

Anomander Rake is #1.

Able to beat Elder Gods at a whim. Able to imprison Eleint. Can kill demon Lords. Able to (potentially) wipe out an entire warrior race (the best group of swordsmen alive). Can shrug off magical attacks from the Imperial High Mage, and the whole of the Malazan armies' mage cadre. At once.

I'm glad he is dead. Thank Hood for Dassem. (giggles)

This dude is just way overpowered.
SE is a fanboy. For shame.

Now.. Who else do you guys think is overpowered? The obvious has been stated.

(Delete if this has been done before. Was just arguing with my buddy via text messages about Rake's overpoweredness, and thought I'd post a thread. He is a fanboy too. Kills me.)

#2 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 06 March 2009 - 11:52 PM

View PostJumpy, on Mar 6 2009, 06:49 PM, said:

I want to have Dassem's babies.

Huh?

Double huh?

And it's humorous that you consider Rake overpowered but not Dassem.

But, to be honest, Raest in GotM bothers me.

Also: Fixed.

This post has been edited by Inigo Montoya: 06 March 2009 - 11:53 PM

Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#3 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 06 March 2009 - 11:54 PM

Rake would have been something like King of High House Mary Sue if he wasn't such a reserved background character who avoided the limelight, and also if he wasn't an alright character to read about.

As for overpowered, the CG will remain so for me, right up until we find out why they can't just kill him.

This post has been edited by Count Rugen: 06 March 2009 - 11:54 PM

Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#4 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 07 March 2009 - 01:17 AM

fact o the matter is, powering up in the malazan world doesn't appear to have a ceiling. there's always some way to gain more power.

think of ganoes paran, i would guess that he hasn't utilized even a fifth of the power he could and he's already killed a god, and saved the world from jade giants. he will be 'overpowered' by the time the end of the series comes around

then there's killimandros, who, if fear sengars words in the kaschan gorge are to be believed, was spawned for the purpose of killing dragons... thats just... woah. just woah.

This post has been edited by Sinisdar Toste: 07 March 2009 - 01:19 AM

There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#5 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 07 March 2009 - 01:31 AM

Nah, Killy was around before they needed to spawn something to kill Scabby.

I'm still convinced the child of unspeakable terror they mention is the otataral dragon, but no-one else seems to agree.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#6 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 07 March 2009 - 01:32 AM

well i still think killy is the dragon killing machine

- Oscar Levant

#7 User is offline   Bauchelain the Evil 

• Greatest necromancer ever
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Not much

Posted 07 March 2009 - 04:00 PM

I second Raest being ridiculously overpowered. Come on, he could wake up Burn?
Adept of Team Quick Ben

I greet you as guests and so will not crush the life from you and devour your soul with peals of laughter. No, instead, I will make tea-Gothos

#8 User is offline   Tiger_sword 

• First Sword

Posted 07 March 2009 - 04:21 PM

I believe the reason Rake was so powered up was because he has so reserved. The only way to build up massive power is slowly else there is usually some kind of convergence! Think of all those powered up beings in the Malazan world, they either built up their power while no one else strong enough was around (eg. Kallor) or slowly.

#9 User is offline   beru 

• shy guy
  • Interests:gaming (strategy/tactic first persons)<br />reading<br />swiming

Posted 07 March 2009 - 11:19 PM

well overpowered and overpowered... olar ethil is good (<= overpowered) but rake... nah the cieling of power is what the flesh can handle and i think rakes flesh is more resilient than mosts flesh...

and apsalar i mean WOOT seriusly WOOT killing 300 claws FOR NO APARENT REASON HOW i have problems thinking how to fight 3 persons how can you kill 300?
i want to see this world where T'lan imass kneels

#10 User is offline   Sindriss 

• Walker of Edges

Posted 08 March 2009 - 12:03 AM

With magic? The shadowdance is part magic which helps considerable

I would like to know if Steve have ever tasted anything like the quorl white milk, that knocked the bb's out.

A: Nope, but I gots me a good imagination.

#11 User is offline   Mushroom 

• Banned

Posted 08 March 2009 - 12:50 AM

View PostSinisdar Toste, on Mar 7 2009, 11:17 AM, said:

fact o the matter is, powering up in the malazan world doesn't appear to have a ceiling. there's always some way to gain more power.

think of ganoes paran, i would guess that he hasn't utilized even a fifth of the power he could and he's already killed a god, and saved the world from jade giants. he will be 'overpowered' by the time the end of the series comes around

then there's killimandros, who, if fear sengars words in the kaschan gorge are to be believed, was spawned for the purpose of killing dragons... thats just... woah. just woah.

Ganoes did not kill Poliel (soliel?) with his power. He had some otataral left over. Got in a good shot, threw it at a God then let some Hounds finish her off who so happen to conveniently be in the area. All he did there was throw a bit of otataral at a god. Any Mortal without any magic powers could have done the same damage to any God that is not elder in that same scenario.

Then the whole Jade Giant thing. You clearly didn't read that right either. Ganoes was the conduit through Hood that managed to allow Heboric (a Shield Anvil) to temporarily come alive to absorb the pain of the people in the Jade Statue which meant the statues went for the ocean and not land.
All Ganoes did in that situation magic wise was transport himself to realm of hood, that was it. He then asked a Favour of Hood, not a magical thing there. Hood revived someone for a little bit, being the God of death and all that would be a rather easy task for him.
Ganeoes being the Master of the Deck should be able to bring himself in the different realms of the deck. Other Mages such as Quick Ben really could do the same thing, though not with the same type of mage, we see Quick do it in GotM to the Shadow Realm. It’s just a really that most mages of that capability aren't stupid enough to that kinda thing.

Remember a lot of the times when people in the Malaz world to kill someone else that you wouldn't expect because they would be uber powerful it can highly circumstantial.
It doesn't necessarily make the person Powerful just either Lucky or Smart

MODEDIT: Try and keep your responses civil Mushroom. No reason to start throwing abuse at each other. Comment on the material of the books or people arguments, don't make it personal.

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 08 March 2009 - 06:53 PM

#12 User is offline   Jumpy 

• Sergeant

Posted 08 March 2009 - 03:35 PM

View PostInigo Montoya, on Mar 6 2009, 06:52 PM, said:

View PostJumpy, on Mar 6 2009, 06:49 PM, said:

I want to have Dassem's babies.

Huh?

Double huh?

And it's humorous that you consider Rake overpowered but not Dassem.

But, to be honest, Raest in GotM bothers me.

Also: Fixed.

Oh, I like the part where you quote me saying Dassem isn't overpowered... Oh, wait. You didn't. Because, I never said that.
By all means, he is overpowered. If you try Dassem, you die.

I just don't like how Rake seems to be the end all be all badass of the series: but I suppose there has to be one.

That aside, Rake's personality and the way he handles himself -- I like. I like the person, Anomander Rake. I don't like how he can steam roll anyone (as he has done). I'm not a fan of that. It's like Superman in the DC universe. Great guy. Lame as hell though, because you KNOW he is going to win. What I meant by, "Thank Hood for Dassem," was that, well, the unexpected happened. Rake was killed.

And, I agree with Raest. He was kicking the crap out of anything and everything.
Silchas Ruin eating two or three cussers kind of makes me mad -- at least Raest's body was obliterated by a cusser.

About the Otataral dragon. I just read that part in HoC. I guess Pearl knew the names of the dragons that imprisoned it. Big bastards.
Too bad he's dead.

#13 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 09 March 2009 - 03:11 AM

View PostMushroom, on Mar 7 2009, 07:50 PM, said:

View PostSinisdar Toste, on Mar 7 2009, 11:17 AM, said:

Ganoes did not kill Poliel (soliel?) with his power. He had some otataral left over. Got in a good shot, threw it at a God then let some Hounds finish her off who so happen to conveniently be in the area. All he did there was throw a bit of otataral at a god. Any Mortal without any magic powers could have done the same damage to any God that is not elder in that same scenario.

Then the whole Jade Giant thing. You clearly didn't read that right either. Ganoes was the conduit through Hood that managed to allow Heboric (a Shield Anvil) to temporarily come alive to absorb the pain of the people in the Jade Statue which meant the statues went for the ocean and not land.
All Ganoes did in that situation magic wise was transport himself to realm of hood, that was it. He then asked a Favour of Hood, not a magical thing there. Hood revived someone for a little bit, being the God of death and all that would be a rather easy task for him.
Ganeoes being the Master of the Deck should be able to bring himself in the different realms of the deck. Other Mages such as Quick Ben really could do the same thing, though not with the same type of mage, we see Quick do it in GotM to the Shadow Realm. It’s just a really that most mages of that capability aren't stupid enough to that kinda thing.

Remember a lot of the times when people in the Malaz world to kill someone else that you wouldn't expect because they would be uber powerful it can highly circumstantial.
It doesn't necessarily make the person Powerful just either Lucky or Smart

MODEDIT: Try and keep your responses civil Mushroom. No reason to start throwing abuse at each other. Comment on the material of the books or people arguments, don't make it personal.

huh i didn't expect to illicit such a response from two short lines about ganoes paran. yes sure he tossed a sliver of otataral at polliel and didn't actually kill her, but he walked straight into the heart of her power without flinching and didn't succumb to it. oh and he released the hounds who were so "convieniently" in the area, oh wait no he managed to get them there by forcing ST's hand. thats right he forced ST's hand. and he didn't even break a sweat.

and yeah he just made a deal with hood to get heborics soul back. he hasn't done very much in the way of awakening power but my point was that he hasn't utilized a fraction of what he could have, he could be unleashing massive amounts of power if he knew how to manipulate the deck of dragons right. Whats to stop him from making a card from high house light or darkness into a gate and just blasting people with raw elemental power?
besides inexperience i mean

This post has been edited by Sinisdar Toste: 09 March 2009 - 03:15 AM

- Oscar Levant

#14 User is offline   Mushroom 

• Banned

Posted 09 March 2009 - 12:00 PM

View PostSinisdar Toste, on Mar 9 2009, 01:11 PM, said:

huh i didn't expect to illicit such a response from two short lines about ganoes paran. yes sure he tossed a sliver of otataral at polliel and didn't actually kill her, but he walked straight into the heart of her power without flinching and didn't succumb to it. oh and he released the hounds who were so "convieniently" in the area, oh wait no he managed to get them there by forcing ST's hand. thats right he forced ST's hand. and he didn't even break a sweat.

and yeah he just made a deal with hood to get heborics soul back. he hasn't done very much in the way of awakening power but my point was that he hasn't utilized a fraction of what he could have, he could be unleashing massive amounts of power if he knew how to manipulate the deck of dragons right.

Whats to stop him from making a card from high house light or darkness into a gate and just blasting people with raw elemental power?
besides inexperience i mean

You kinda explain right there why I wouldn't agree with you. "IF he knew how to manipulate the deck of dragons right"

With the second part. Something tells that the deck of dragons just does not work that way and that warrens are quite like what you imagine them to be.

#15 User is offline   foolio 

• Emperor
  • about as popular as a whores dose of the face eater

Posted 09 March 2009 - 04:25 PM

Just me personally, I think Kallor is way overpowered. Copnsidering he was cursed by three elder gods "to never ascend." He certainly seems like an ascendant to me. Damage resistence, kills 100,000 year old andii assaasin mage Soletaken Dragon without breaking a sweat, lives forever, is known and feared in every corner of the Malaz world. Sure sounds like an ascendant to me.

Go ahead, eat me alive Kallor Fanboys...I know there are lots of you out there...

This post has been edited by foolio: 09 March 2009 - 04:26 PM

I have seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter at the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain...."

#16 User is offline   Grief 

• Prophet of High House Mafia
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 09 March 2009 - 04:40 PM

Paran is part of the deck of dragons. Just because his title is master doesn't give him unlimited power upon everything within it. If he can pull tricks with the cards, he's probably not the only one, and he has his own card. If he went messing with deck, I suspect the deck would come and mess right back, either in the form of a natural reaction or something, maybe like morn or osmething, or some of the mebers of the deck coming and getting him.

Cougar said:

Grief, FFS will you do something with your sig, it's bloody awful

worry said:

Grief is right (until we abolish capitalism).

#17 User is offline   Fox 

• Sergeant

Posted 10 March 2009 - 03:08 AM

I can't believe no one's said Karsa Orlong yet.

To be fair, many of the characters in this series are gods/ascendents. They're supposed to be overpowered.

#18 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 10 March 2009 - 03:26 AM

View PostGrief, on Mar 9 2009, 11:40 AM, said:

Paran is part of the deck of dragons. Just because his title is master doesn't give him unlimited power upon everything within it. If he can pull tricks with the cards, he's probably not the only one, and he has his own card. If he went messing with deck, I suspect the deck would come and mess right back, either in the form of a natural reaction or something, maybe like morn or osmething, or some of the mebers of the deck coming and getting him.

but i think it does give him unlimited power over the deck, and he's done a lot of messing so far. he brought in a whole new house against the wishes of the king of death, besides rake he would be the longest standing member of the deck and couldn't do a thing. somehow he uses a card to teleport the one eyed scaled bear from the jaghut bridge of death to an obscure mountain range in seven cities. he believed that he could draw a card in the dirt and force his way into maels presence. an elder god...

alls i'm saying is that if paran keeps experimenting he could come up with some ways to wreak serious havoc.

This post has been edited by Sinisdar Toste: 10 March 2009 - 03:26 AM

- Oscar Levant

#19 User is offline   Lisheo 

• Difference Engineer
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:All of the things.

Posted 10 March 2009 - 10:19 AM

View PostSinisdar Toste, on Mar 10 2009, 03:26 AM, said:

View PostGrief, on Mar 9 2009, 11:40 AM, said:

but i think it does give him unlimited power over the deck, and he's done a lot of messing so far. he brought in a whole new house against the wishes of the king of death, besides rake he would be the longest standing member of the deck and couldn't do a thing. somehow he uses a card to teleport the one eyed scaled bear from the jaghut bridge of death to an obscure mountain range in seven cities. he believed that he could draw a card in the dirt and force his way into maels presence. an elder god...

alls i'm saying is that if paran keeps experimenting he could come up with some ways to wreak serious havoc.

1- He simply sanctions the House of Chains. It was there whether he wanted it or not, and the same goes for the other Gods. They assailed it, too, but it fought back.
2- Each House is kind of an access into a God's domain ie a warren, so all he did was open a warren using a card. Kind of cheating bt making it easier than normal, but ah well.
3- Again, it's opening a warren. Not too difficult. Quick Ben opened his way into Shadowthrone's warren, remember.

He doesn't have unlimited power by any means.
“People have wanted to narrate since first we banged rocks together & wondered about fire. There’ll be tellings as long as there are any of us here, until the stars disappear one by one like turned-out lights.”
- China Mieville

#20 User is offline   Sindustry 

• Recruit

Posted 10 March 2009 - 11:14 AM

If I had to pick 2 over powered chars in this series it's a tie between my favorite 2 chars in the entire series:

Icarium the Time Slayer/One God, and Karsa the Toblakai Theloman.

I'd have to say Icarium was the most powerful of all so far, but I'm assuming he was killed by the malfunction in his machine in Lether.

Karsa on the other hand, I tend to find myself waiting for every chance to read about him doing crazy things, like fighting giant sharks in the nacient, daegeroth, undying emperors, and facing down gods without a thought of it.

He can shrug off heavy magic and damn near slice through anything with his soul-embedded flint sword. I'd put my odds on him considering the weight Erikson has put on his story line.

I'm surprised no one has really mentioned those 2 yet? (one person mentioned karsa above hehe)

This post has been edited by Sindustry: 10 March 2009 - 11:15 AM

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users