• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Overpowered characters. Guess who? Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 10 March 2009 - 01:25 PM

I always thought 'overpowered' meant overwhelmed/beaten.

Not the other way around.

Consequently, I find this thread confusing and strange!
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#22 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 10 March 2009 - 01:37 PM

Seconded. I thought it was gonna be a thread about people who get punked or cant keep up with the big boys.

That might be interesting too.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#23 User is offline   L'oric 

• High Fist

Posted 10 March 2009 - 02:37 PM

Apart from Karsa I have never thought everyone was off the could be killed list, but if he had met Rake or something I would have thought well this is it for the boy/giant.

Strangely I do not think Karsa is that overpowered. When he starts using his warren to cast spells then I will probably have a problem with him, but as long as he stays like Dassem a sword using, warren shirking, and sword weilding daemon I am all for him.

As for Rake...destined to die as he did. Never thought anything of him other than he was the epitome of BMF. He should carry a wallet with that inscribed on it.

I like the fact that most characters even though they are all that and a bag of chips could be the next to die....and then come back from the grave. I wish they stayed dead more often but...hey then we would have to remember a ton more characters than we already do.

:sofa:
What I do not know fills many more volumes than what I do know.

#24 User is offline   Mushroom 

• Banned

Posted 10 March 2009 - 02:55 PM

I look forward to the day when Karsa is beaten, not necessarilly killed but at least beaten. Meets up with Calm again or something similar of the like happens.

He is probably the one character which is most overpowerd I would think.

#25 User is offline   Called-by-the-Voices 

• High Fist
  • I am not yet done

Posted 10 March 2009 - 08:46 PM

View PostMushroom, on Mar 10 2009, 03:55 PM, said:

I look forward to the day when Karsa is beaten, not necessarilly killed but at least beaten. Meets up with Calm again or something similar of the like happens.

He is probably the one character which is most overpowerd I would think.

I can think of a few occasions when Karsa bought it:

1) Calm
2) Ebron
3) Urko Crust
4) Mappo

Anyways...THE most overpowered character ever:

Anasurimbor Kellhus...

...er....

wrong thread? -_- :sofa:
And one by one the gardens died

#26 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 10 March 2009 - 08:47 PM

The answer is Wolverine... then Galactus.

Apt, notes that there is always a marvel character to beat a Malazan character.

#27 User is offline   L'oric 

• High Fist

Posted 10 March 2009 - 08:55 PM

View PostAptorian, on Mar 10 2009, 01:47 PM, said:

BahGalactus is a wimp...Thor took him down...Silver Surfer has thwarted him time and again...The Fantastic Four....Thanos...Ego...OVERATED not nearly as much as Wolverine but close.

GAG!

I got to say Rake (with Dragnipur) is probably up there on the all time scale of stupid awesomeness. Can anyone imagine Galactus pulling the wagon in the pocket warren? Of course I have to say Belgarion with the Crystal Shard errr...Orb of Aldur...::cough:: is all time. (He could write his name in with the stars.)

Nerd alert...I am an ultimate nerd.

:sofa:
What I do not know fills many more volumes than what I do know.

#28 User is offline   Cougar 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 11 March 2009 - 08:15 AM

How can anyone say Anomander Rake is overpowered? What is it he does that is so inconsistent with the univesrse he inhabits? We don't even know if he is the best swordsman, we don't know if he is the most powerful mage, we have no direct levels of power to compare, unlike say Jordan they aren't accessing the same source of power nor do they mention who is the most powerful mage at several points like Jordan. SE's magic system is very obscure, it's rare that we see a direct toe to toe mage duel and where men/creatures who can access magic do fight they never just unleash as much power as possible apart from maybe QB/the Eres vs the Edur.
I AM A TWAT

#29 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 11 March 2009 - 06:29 PM

View PostJumpy, on Mar 6 2009, 07:49 PM, said:

Anomander Rake is #1.

View PostCougar, on Mar 11 2009, 04:15 AM, said:

How can anyone say Anomander Rake is overpowered? What is it he does that is so inconsistent with the univesrse he inhabits? We don't even know if he is the best swordsman, we don't know if he is the most powerful mage, we have no direct levels of power to compare, ...

Cougar's got this right. Firstly, we've seen Rake in a grand heaping total of four fights in GotM (the Pale sorcery enfilade, Pearl, the Hounds and the Galayn Lord... And Pale was a draw, he wasn't sure he'd win against the Hounds and ST and said as much, and he had a bunch of Andii assassin/mage/ninjas with him against Pearl) and one fight which he threw in TtH.

Yes, he's ginourmously powerful - he's the son of the creator of the universe so no surprise there - , but he's hardly the end-all be-all thinly-veiled fanboy self-insertion proxy suggested. Quite the opposite, he's shown to have limits and weaknesses. It's what he accomplishes - single-handedly pushes back the Malazan Empire, saves the universe - despite that which is impressive.

View PostCount Rugen, on Mar 6 2009, 09:31 PM, said:

Nah, Killy was around before they needed to spawn something to kill Scabby.

I'm still convinced the child of unspeakable terror they mention is the otataral dragon, but no-one else seems to agree.

I agree with you.

View PostSinisdar Toste, on Mar 6 2009, 09:32 PM, said:

well i still think killy is the dragon killing machine

Well she DID punch a hole in Scabby's head.

View PostBauchelain the Evil, on Mar 7 2009, 12:00 PM, said:

I second Raest being ridiculously overpowered. Come on, he could wake up Burn?

Jaghuts were a powerful race. They use ice ages as weapons. Hood challenged 'death'. Gothos froze a continent. Even Ganath stuck a Kchain skykeep on ice for a few millenia. Jaghut Tyrants are Jaghuts powerful enuf to dominate other Jaghuts. And Raest was, arguably, one of the most powerful Tyrants ever. The point wasn't that he was powerful - the point was that four draconic soletaken, a pureblood elient, a High Mage, a sapper and the Master of the Deck held him long enough for a newborn Azath to grab him.

View Postberu, on Mar 7 2009, 07:19 PM, said:

and apsalar i mean WOOT seriusly WOOT killing 300 claws FOR NO APARENT REASON HOW i have problems thinking how to fight 3 persons how can you kill 300?

Stop trying to apply your puny logic and reasoning to fantasy stories. You put the skills of a god of assassins in a bitter teenaged girl just out of puberty and that's what happens. Just accept it.

...fact o the matter is, powering up in the malazan world doesn't appear to have a ceiling. there's always some way to gain more power.

think of ganoes paran, i would guess that he hasn't utilized even a fifth of the power he could and he's already killed a god, and saved the world from jade giants. he will be 'overpowered' by the time the end of the series comes around....

One of the things i like about the series is the way various different sources of power can converge on one person - Heboric, by way of Fener then the Jade then Trake. Dassem by way of Hood and then his own power. Baudin by way of Tellan then Hood.

Paran is by way of Oponn, then Hound Blood, then the Deck. He spent a year or so before TB learning how to use all that power and the ins and outs of the Deck. So none of this 'just happened'. And he was a half decent officer and swordsman before ANY of that.

...Silchas Ruin eating two or three cussers kind of makes me mad -- at least Raest's body was obliterated by a cusser.

Silch had already been in a fight with Trull, had to kill Kettle which he was furious about (denied revenge on Scabby, etc etc), then got hit by two cussers AND QB's multiple-soul-warren-super-mega-blast. And then he got up, shook himself off and left rather than stay, mostly because his rage was expended, not because he was out of the fight. The fight just wasn't worth it.

And Raest's body was Mammot's body at the time, and he could have soul-jumped elsewhere if the Azath hand't grabbed him.

...but my point was that he hasn't utilized a fraction of what he could have, he could be unleashing massive amounts of power if he knew how to manipulate the deck of dragons right. Whats to stop him from making a card from high house light or darkness into a gate and just blasting people with raw elemental power?
besides inexperience i mean

For starters, actual mages in the specific warrens have a hard time doing that - notice the lack of Thyr Mages running around blasting people in the face? Second, a gate doesn't work that way (yes, i know about the 'Gate to SD in that dragon's throat' thing, but that was a dragon and a perspective, not a human who likely couldn't handle that much raw power.

Point being the MoD is meant to be a 'referee' of sorts, not an enforcer. Paran takes on certain tasks, but he's not all powerful.

...With the second part. Something tells that the deck of dragons just does not work that way ...

Agreed.

View Postfoolio, on Mar 9 2009, 12:25 PM, said:

Just me personally, I think Kallor is way overpowered. Copnsidering he was cursed by three elder gods "to never ascend." He certainly seems like an ascendant to me. Damage resistence, kills 100,000 year old andii assaasin mage Soletaken Dragon without breaking a sweat, lives forever, is known and feared in every corner of the Malaz world. Sure sounds like an ascendant to me.

Go ahead, eat me alive Kallor Fanboys...I know there are lots of you out there...

Kallor IS an ascendent. He already was when the three gods cursed him. But he'll never become a god and thus, never be truly immortal, hence the candles and having to rely on the CG for power-ups.

Once again, there are multiple ways to ascend and multiple types of ascendents and what applies one way to one person can be the complete inverse for another.

View PostFox, on Mar 9 2009, 11:08 PM, said:

...To be fair, many of the characters in this series are gods/ascendents. They're supposed to be overpowered.

...and even so, most of then have been or can be taken out by other gods/ascendents or suitably prepared/skilled/lucky 'mere' humans. Which is one of the main points of the series.

View PostSlow Ben, on Mar 10 2009, 09:37 AM, said:

Seconded. I thought it was gonna be a thread about people who get punked or cant keep up with the big boys.

That might be interesting too.

...especially given that many of those who 'can't keep up' still manage to do exactly that to the 'big boys' detriment.

View PostAptorian, on Mar 10 2009, 04:47 PM, said:

THAT'S RIGHT APT, YOU TELL EM!!!!!

- Abyss, ...and Wolverine trumps Galactus on costume points...
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#30 User is offline   foolio 

• Emperor
  • about as popular as a whores dose of the face eater

Posted 12 March 2009 - 02:56 PM

Abyss said

Kallor IS an ascendent. He already was when the three gods cursed him. But he'll never become a god and thus, never be truly immortal, hence the candles and having to rely on the CG for power-ups.

Once again, there are multiple ways to ascend and multiple types of ascendents and what applies one way to one person can be the complete inverse for another.

So kallor is an ascendant? I thought the curse was directly quoted as "to never ascend..."
I guess this would change rather I thought he is overpowered.
I have seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter at the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain...."

#31 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 12 March 2009 - 03:17 PM

View Postfoolio, on Mar 12 2009, 10:56 AM, said:

... I thought the curse was directly quoted as "to never ascend..." ..

It is.
The misinterpretation is in taking a very narrow, almost RPG interp of what an Ascendent is and what it means to 'ascend'... ie, you gain experience points and then move up a level and gain more power...

no no no

...the only 'rule' for ascension is that there are no rules. ascension means moving beyond what you were, gaining power somehow. For some that means immortality. For others it means dying and becoming something else. Mages have extended lifespans and magic, but they aren't ascendents. All shapeshifters, however they became such, are ascendents. And when an ascendent becomes a god, they 'ascend'.

The EGs froze kallor where he was. He could never become a god. That doesn't mean he couldn't gain power - obviously the soul candles have kept him alive and healing and the CG gave him other abilities, but this all from exterior sources and none of it is permanent.

When you think about it, it's actually even more nasty than it seems - Kallor was (arguably) the most powerful human on the planet, and if anyone should have kept on gaining power and become a god it was him, and they stopped that from happening, and Kallor KNOWS it. He knows full well he should have become something far more powerful, and he can't.

- Abyss, periodically ascends in an airplane.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#32 User is offline   Bauchelain the Evil 

• Greatest necromancer ever
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Not much

Posted 12 March 2009 - 05:36 PM

View PostAbyss, on Mar 11 2009, 07:29 PM, said:

View PostBauchelain the Evil, on Mar 7 2009, 12:00 PM, said:

I second Raest being ridiculously overpowered. Come on, he could wake up Burn?

Jaghuts were a powerful race. They use ice ages as weapons. Hood challenged 'death'. Gothos froze a continent. Even Ganath stuck a Kchain skykeep on ice for a few millenia. Jaghut Tyrants are Jaghuts powerful enuf to dominate other Jaghuts. And Raest was, arguably, one of the most powerful Tyrants ever. The point wasn't that he was powerful - the point was that four draconic soletaken, a pureblood elient, a High Mage, a sapper and the Master of the Deck held him long enough for a newborn Azath to grab him.

Yes I know Jaghuts are extremely powerful and that Raest was the most powerfuyl of tyrants. Yet all that he did in GotM was without most of his powerful. So, or those Jaghuts that trapped him made a really bad job when putting his power in the Finnest or at his full strenght he would have been virtually unstoppable and inmpossible to defeat the first time.
Adept of Team Quick Ben

I greet you as guests and so will not crush the life from you and devour your soul with peals of laughter. No, instead, I will make tea-Gothos

#33 User is offline   Newbee 

• Corporal

Posted 13 March 2009 - 12:42 AM

Yes I know Jaghuts are extremely powerful and that Raest was the most powerfuyl of tyrants. Yet all that he did in GotM was without most of his powerful. So, or those Jaghuts that trapped him made a really bad job when putting his power in the Finnest or at his full strenght he would have been virtually unstoppable and inmpossible to defeat the first time.

Jaghuts are inherintely terrifying, but i have a suspicion that hood is prominent among them, hes obviously the union representetive after their little charade against death.And in TtH, Draconus is about to go into a tantrum about some broken chains hood just holds back like a wimpering child, something is stated along the lines 'draconus could do nothing, and this guy is meant to be and elder god. Plus hes been living comfortably for the last 50-100 years with the worlds greatest swordsman/god of a nutcase dont obstruct my vengence after him, i doubt he had sleepless nights. He also EMPLOYS the seguleh 2nd wtf?? Rake had to leave the island with 6 of the nutters left, imagine the scene 994 dead segulah at Rakes feet, 'well done mr Anomander but theres six of us left!'

#34 User is offline   beru 

• shy guy
  • Interests:gaming (strategy/tactic first persons)<br />reading<br />swiming

Posted 13 March 2009 - 07:30 AM

View PostNewbee, on Mar 13 2009, 01:42 AM, said:

Jaghuts are inherintely terrifying, but i have a suspicion that hood is prominent among them, hes obviously the union representetive after their little charade against death.And in TtH, Draconus is about to go into a tantrum about some broken chains hood just holds back like a wimpering child, something is stated along the lines 'draconus could do nothing, and this guy is meant to be and elder god. Plus hes been living comfortably for the last 50-100 years with the worlds greatest swordsman/god of a nutcase dont obstruct my vengence after him, i doubt he had sleepless nights. He also EMPLOYS the seguleh 2nd wtf?? Rake had to leave the island with 6 of the nutters left, imagine the scene 994 dead segulah at Rakes feet, 'well done mr Anomander but theres six of us left!'

rake dident kill all the way to his posison as seventh... he just killed a dozen or somthing

othervise i agree
i want to see this world where T'lan imass kneels

#35 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • Group: LHTEC
  • Interests:Dungeons and Dragons, and the odd caramel slice.
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 13 March 2009 - 08:51 AM

I have to say Dassem is overpowered. It's SE who dislikes the unbeatable, immortal characters, portrayed through Udinaas. And he seems to be that sort of person, swordsman-wise.

Maybe Kallor is a bit overpowered, but I like the way he's done it, no magic or Ascendancy in it at all.
Suck it Errant!

"It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum...and I'm all out of gum."

QUOTE (KeithF @ Jun 30 2009, 09:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It has been proven beyond all reasonable doubt that the most powerful force on Wu is a bunch of messed-up Malazans with Moranth munitions.

#36 User is offline   misiu02 

• Recruit

Posted 13 March 2009 - 03:49 PM

Im gonna have to go with Mael. He has put the smack down on two other gods without breaking a sweat. He just dosent act very often.

#37 User is offline   Bauchelain the Evil 

• Greatest necromancer ever
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Not much

Posted 13 March 2009 - 03:53 PM

Well with all honesty I don't think Mael is that much overpowered for an Elder God. Sure he beats the CG and the Errant but then the CG's tent ,which is somewhat his realm, had just been destroyed and the Errant is a weak god with hardly any worshippers.

This post has been edited by Bauchelain the Evil: 13 March 2009 - 03:54 PM

Adept of Team Quick Ben

I greet you as guests and so will not crush the life from you and devour your soul with peals of laughter. No, instead, I will make tea-Gothos

#38 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 13 March 2009 - 03:54 PM

How is Mael, the Elder God of the Seas, overpowered because he kicks minor gods ass? He's about as high on the powerscale as we know you can get.

EDIT: Ok, the CG is not minor, but you get my drift.

#39 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 13 March 2009 - 04:17 PM

E'resal

completely the most overpowered lady.
stops icarium
and near a hundred chaos weilding mages.

height of sillyness

#40 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 13 March 2009 - 04:34 PM

View PostMacros, on Mar 13 2009, 05:17 PM, said:

E'resal

completely the most overpowered lady.
stops icarium
and near a hundred chaos weilding mages.

height of sillyness

Agreed. Only entity in the whole series I'd really consider overpowered.
Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users