Malazan Empire: The Call of Duty Series - Malazan Empire

• 33 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Call of Duty Series Bang bang bang BOOOOM! bang bang RATATATA!!!, etc.

#621 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 31 December 2014 - 03:24 PM

View PostObdigore, on 31 December 2014 - 01:03 PM, said:

Its the same story they've done every 4-5 times.

Ah, I was unaware as this is my first normal COD game (I've played Black Ops 2 only). I really like it though. Spacey especially impresses me with his dedication to the role. And the guy who plays Gideon is excellent too.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#622 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 31 December 2014 - 04:58 PM

I've never really cared for Call of Field or Battle Duty. All these modern FPS are pretty identikit to me.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#623 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 01 January 2015 - 01:13 AM

Advanced Warfare does have some advantages but honestly it's not a good story.

QT: you must be going through a seasonal patch of poor judgement! Between this and the Hobbit...XD

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#624 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 01 January 2015 - 12:57 PM

View PostMaark, on 31 December 2014 - 04:58 PM, said:

I've never really cared for Call of Field or Battle Duty. All these modern FPS are pretty identikit to me.

This is like saying Super Smash Brothers and Tekken are identical, or Mario Kart and Forza are indentical.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#625 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 01 January 2015 - 02:52 PM

View PostObdigore, on 01 January 2015 - 12:57 PM, said:

This is like saying Super Smash Brothers and Tekken are identical, or Mario Kart and Forza are indentical.

They're dusty, they're brown, and there are non-American guys in them who are either Russian or Middle Eastern and they want to put bullets in you.

I feel as though shooters have become too serious recently. The last one I had fun with was Bulletstorm.

#626 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 02 January 2015 - 01:51 AM

View PostMaark, on 01 January 2015 - 02:52 PM, said:

View PostObdigore, on 01 January 2015 - 12:57 PM, said:

They're dusty, they're brown, and there are non-American guys in them who are either Russian or Middle Eastern and they want to put bullets in you.

Except that is pretty much all wrong for this generation of COD. And the story in... I want to say MW2? Shit which one was the one where the brit nuked the east coast. Meh.

You are speaking about something which you have not experienced and the clear lack of you knowing the story is obvious.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#627 User is offline   Jakovasaurus 

• Emperor

Posted 02 January 2015 - 03:26 AM

Do people actually buy COD games for the campaign? The only time I played through the campaign was Black Ops 2 and that was only because I had to see the Noriega part after he sued Activision. I guess there is the "No Russian" controversy in MW2, but I never bought or played that title (instead just finding the YouTube vid). Personally, I found the Blops2 campaign underwhelming. The strike force missions were lame and a waste of time. I think most gamers buy COD titles for multiplayer.

#628 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 02 January 2015 - 07:31 AM

View PostJakovasaurus, on 02 January 2015 - 03:26 AM, said:

Do people actually buy COD games for the campaign? The only time I played through the campaign was Black Ops 2 and that was only because I had to see the Noriega part after he sued Activision. I guess there is the "No Russian" controversy in MW2, but I never bought or played that title (instead just finding the YouTube vid). Personally, I found the Blops2 campaign underwhelming. The strike force missions were lame and a waste of time. I think most gamers buy COD titles for multiplayer.

Well, I don't play FPS online (unless it's co-op). So for me to play a shooter, it needs a solid campaign with a compelling story. Or be tons of fun, and story be damned.

#629 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 02 January 2015 - 12:33 PM

View PostBriar King, on 02 January 2015 - 03:55 AM, said:

So what do those think about the PVP vs Destiny's? Sil, Obdi?

I prefer CODs or Halos PVP to Destinys. Destiny is them trying to mix the two, and it works ok. The big problem is that there is this overlay of shittacular lag on Destinys PVP. It makes it annoying and extremely unfun.

#630 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 02 January 2015 - 12:54 PM

I definitely play COD games for the campaign. They are in my opinion some of the best FPS stories being told right now, which sounds silly but bear with me.

COD games are the equivelant of Hollywoods Summer Blockbuster franchises. COD is not meant to be particularly deep but rather the video game equivelant of a Michael Bay movie. You take a military scenario, add some spy or SAS bullshit to the mix, create car chases, plane crashes, door breaches and lots of explosions and you have a hell of an amusement ride.

The store is always familiar, it has some plot twists, some crazy action moments, cheesy dialogue, bad guys, double crosses and more explosions. It takes around 6-12 hours to play through and there are seldom a boring moment in the mix because everything is set on a liniar path that is meant to maximise your exposure to bullets and explosions.

#631 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 04 January 2015 - 09:13 PM

I couldn't get used to it. I appreciated the new mechanics and I like the unlock and level progression but I just didn't enjoy how the verticality changed the levels. In Titanfall you have increased speed and agility on top of the vertical abilities. I thought the CODs approach was too clunky. In Titanfall jumping and wall running was intuitive, in COD every other time I jumped for a ledge or a window I failed.

#632 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 04 January 2015 - 09:57 PM

View PostApt, on 04 January 2015 - 09:13 PM, said:

I couldn't get used to it. I appreciated the new mechanics and I like the unlock and level progression but I just didn't enjoy how the verticality changed the levels. In Titanfall you have increased speed and agility on top of the vertical abilities. I thought the CODs approach was too clunky. In Titanfall jumping and wall running was intuitive, in COD every other time I jumped for a ledge or a window I failed.

I'm not sure how you are failing that mantle. I don't have any problems with it. Your normal soldier is the same speed, but when you boost you move faster. Boost dodging is a thing, and so are air to air fights :)

I like the change for the series.

Now if they would fix some other things...

#633 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 05 January 2015 - 03:56 PM

Things I've learned on CoD: AW multiplayer online.

1. I'm not nearly as good as some people are.

2. I'm that guy who goes running in all Leroy Jenkins to the battle, and I might take someone out but always die in the process...usually leaving my ratio of kills to deaths at around even.

3. I've encountered two different types of people who use their mic's...little pissant teenage misogynists who should be slapped into next year...and people who play loud rap and rap along to it while playing.

4. I'm not nearly as good as some people are.

5. In "Team Deathmatch" on the Instinct level/board getting yourself up onto the ruins right away and then going prone into the shadowed corner and exo-cloaking is a great way to take out EVERYONE for at least a few minutes.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#634 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 06 January 2015 - 05:16 PM

View PostBriar King, on 06 January 2015 - 01:57 AM, said:

Damn I just can't get over how stupid the AI is! Even though I die constantly because of their numbers and the fact that they get back up after being shot. Still the graphics on the PS4 is great but it gives me "gamers headache" after 30 mins or so.

Let me know when you decide to go multiplayer man, we'll go to town. I'm lvl 40 now and fairly well decked out.

I also bought my 3 month pass so I can do up Destiny Multi now as well. Just give me a holler.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 06 January 2015 - 05:16 PM

#635 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 07 January 2015 - 02:40 AM

Let me give you some advice for multiplayers.

BAL (assault rifle) best mid to long range gun
ASM1 (sub machine gun) best all around gun
or
HBRA3. (assault rifle) best all around AR.

Those are the only guns you want to use until/unless you get very very good.

Run 1 primary gun, 2 attachments, 5-6 perks and 1-2 scorestreaks.

Perk slot 1 - Low Profile and The movement speed one (optional)
Perk slot 2 - Cold Blooded and ... the other 'not appearing on radar stuff one'
Perk Slot 3 - Scavenger (optional until you get better and start running out of ammo) and Blast Suppressor.

Attachments, I suggest a sight and something to increase range/accuracy. either laser or foregrip.
ScoreStreaks, I'm fond of UAV with support, threat detection, and either extended time (HC) or scrambler (core), and then UAV with support and trap.

Anything that doesn't kill people as a scorestreak (except the sentry gun) can be set to 'support', which means your work towards them counts through your deaths, but it costs more to get.

Practice Boost-Dodging. either up, or to the side. Use it a lot when you run into an enemy. Boost dodge and fire at them the same time. Most people can't deal with that and lose that fight.

This post has been edited by Obdigore: 07 January 2015 - 02:45 AM

#636 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 08 January 2015 - 07:23 AM

So you're a dirty camper? XD

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#637 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 08 January 2015 - 11:59 AM

View PostSilencer, on 08 January 2015 - 07:23 AM, said:

So you're a dirty camper? XD

The amount of campers I see in this game....make me feel fine about camping now and again. LOL

#638 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 08 January 2015 - 12:34 PM

To be fair, camping is actually a perfectly valid strategy. It's not great for actually getting good at the game, and it's pretty much only effective against players who don't know how to get you out of your spot (assuming the map isn't horribly broken).

Still, it's annoying as hell if someone keeps interrupting an otherwise successful game by sniping you from a camping spot to get a few cheap kills.

That being said, my main objection is that it's usually a result of the maps being far smaller than what you'd normally encounter snipers in, that makes it annoying. Doesn't leave as many options as you should have for dealing with them.

Shinrei said:

#639 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 08 January 2015 - 12:38 PM

View PostSilencer, on 08 January 2015 - 12:34 PM, said:

To be fair, camping is actually a perfectly valid strategy. It's not great for actually getting good at the game, and it's pretty much only effective against players who don't know how to get you out of your spot (assuming the map isn't horribly broken).

Still, it's annoying as hell if someone keeps interrupting an otherwise successful game by sniping you from a camping spot to get a few cheap kills.

That being said, my main objection is that it's usually a result of the maps being far smaller than what you'd normally encounter snipers in, that makes it annoying. Doesn't leave as many options as you should have for dealing with them.

Actually, in the current COD, camping is not an effective strategy, as with their current netcode, you have some time to see them and hit them before they even see you are on their screen.

The only real way to camp in this game is area denial, and that is only effective on 2 maps I can think of.

Or you play against shitty people who are shit and suck. As I get older, my reflexes are going, but I can still run and gun and go positive against an entire team of campers.

#640 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 08 January 2015 - 12:43 PM

I haven't really played AW online yet, so that's news to me.

But you fall into the category of being more than capable of weeding campers out anyway, netcode quirks or not. XD

Shinrei said:

Share this topic:

• 33 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

30 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 30 guests, 0 anonymous users