Malazan Empire: The Call of Duty Series - Malazan Empire

• 33 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Call of Duty Series Bang bang bang BOOOOM! bang bang RATATATA!!!, etc.

#601 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 18 November 2013 - 11:13 AM

IED's are like a mix between claymores and bouncing betties, and the only explosives you can place and then don't have to trigger.

my solo and team soldiers are quite a bit different. For solo I run silenced weapons and assault killstreaks, for team I run loud and support killstreaks.

Mainly because when I'm with my normal team we just sprint around the map killing everything, and stuff like oracle and vests and ammo crates can be really helpful. I never expect randoms to know how to use any of that stuff, so I run killing killstreaks because I generally have to carry a random pub lobby.

This post has been edited by Obdigore: 18 November 2013 - 11:15 AM

Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#602 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 18 November 2013 - 11:14 AM

I am going to youtube a few clips today and see what you guys are doing that I may not be doing. I sometimes get amazing scores other times I fail epicly.
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#603 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 18 November 2013 - 11:31 AM

View PostGanoes Paran, on 18 November 2013 - 11:14 AM, said:

I am going to youtube a few clips today and see what you guys are doing that I may not be doing. I sometimes get amazing scores other times I fail epicly.

It depends entirely upon the skill of the people you are playing against; the ping times involved; and the playstyle of people you are playing against.

Edit: I mean someone amazing at running and gunning can be torn up by a team of mediocre campers, especially if one of the campers has host, but they can tear through a team that tries to move about and do different stuff. Teams that run in 3s or more always rip me up because I can almost always get the first and the second but the third normally gets me.

This post has been edited by Obdigore: 18 November 2013 - 11:32 AM

Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#604 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 18 November 2013 - 11:35 AM

View PostObdigore, on 18 November 2013 - 11:31 AM, said:

View PostGanoes Paran, on 18 November 2013 - 11:14 AM, said:

It depends entirely upon the skill of the people you are playing against; the ping times involved; and the playstyle of people you are playing against.

Edit: I mean someone amazing at running and gunning can be torn up by a team of mediocre campers, especially if one of the campers has host, but they can tear through a team that tries to move about and do different stuff. Teams that run in 3s or more always rip me up because I can almost always get the first and the second but the third normally gets me.

I am watching this guy, http://www.youtube.c...h?v=18VwhKImdLQ , get 25 kills without dying. Some of it is luck but he kills some people I don't even see. What gun is he using?

#605 User is offline   Jakovasaurus 

• Emperor
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:55 PM

Black Ops 2. . . Man I love the MP map Dig. So many nooks and crannies, going up and down across the map. Play Demolition on this map and you will love it.

If you equip a gun with Target Finder on Dig then you are a pussy and you should turn in your badge and walk home in shame.

Dig is one of the best maps, eva!

#606 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 03 November 2014 - 12:34 PM

Like every year, despite my desillusion with last years entry, I just bought Advanced Warfare.

Looks interesting. Different and yet more of the same.

What really got me interested was people praising the new levels. The levels have been my consistent gripe since MW2. I am hoping the addition of more vertical gameplay improves the experience.

#607 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 03 November 2014 - 12:48 PM

I have abandoned the series. Every year I have been one of the first to buy it, but my friends prefer Fifa and they are the ones I play with. I guess their main gripe is since MW2 we have lost the Scar and Tar guns with power, the grenade launches are under powered and you cannot increase the ammo on them or reload with scavenger, claymores being abandoned, they were immense! Just lots of gripes..

#608 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 03 November 2014 - 01:00 PM

View PostTattersail_, on 03 November 2014 - 12:48 PM, said:

I have abandoned the series. Every year I have been one of the first to buy it, but my friends prefer Fifa and they are the ones I play with. I guess their main gripe is since MW2 we have lost the Scar and Tar guns with power, the grenade launches are under powered and you cannot increase the ammo on them or reload with scavenger, claymores being abandoned, they were immense! Just lots of gripes..

Lots of complaints about balancing the overpowered and unreasonably effective weapons so that people can use alternatives? Wow, that sounds mature... >.>

Dripping elitist sarcasm aside, I've picked this one up as I haven't played one since MW2, and even that I didn't play the multiplayer too much.

Hopefully this keeps me busy longer than Titanfall did and tides me over for my multiplayer fix seeing as Destiny just ain't doing it. The changes will be welcome, I think.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#609 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 03 November 2014 - 01:06 PM

View PostSilencer, on 03 November 2014 - 01:00 PM, said:

View PostTattersail_, on 03 November 2014 - 12:48 PM, said:

Lots of complaints about balancing the overpowered and unreasonably effective weapons so that people can use alternatives? Wow, that sounds mature... >.>

Dripping elitist sarcasm aside, I've picked this one up as I haven't played one since MW2, and even that I didn't play the multiplayer too much.

Hopefully this keeps me busy longer than Titanfall did and tides me over for my multiplayer fix seeing as Destiny just ain't doing it. The changes will be welcome, I think.

At the end of the day its a game, and you play it to enjoy yourselves. We had hours and days and weeks of fun with MW2, the levels were great, the weaponry sweet, they were more even. Smoothy my friend loved playing with the two shotguns and claymores and camping out in an area for high kill streaks, getting his plane, pavelow and ac130. Joe only loved the grenade launcher and was awesome with it at any range, he got so good with it. I preferred the run and gun style, with the ump45, it was the deadliest!

45 for 0 was my best on that game, tactical insertion was also a bonus. yes there were flaws but there are reasons those levels from that game are coming back to the most recent games. I got the season pass last year and I wish I never to be honest. I am quite good at it still but its not as fun without friends to play it with. If we play cod these days we go back to mw2.

This post has been edited by Tattersail_: 03 November 2014 - 01:06 PM

#610 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 03 November 2014 - 01:31 PM

Oh sure, friends make the multiplayer, and if you enjoy it, that's great.

One of my best friends and I were obsessed with Halo: Reach's SWAT mode, would pay to play that on the new console. Only reason we stopped is because we burned out on it.

So I get it. I'm just incredibly cynical and snarky about the series, especially the multiplayer. XD

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#611 User is offline   Jakovasaurus 

• Emperor

Posted 03 November 2014 - 09:15 PM

Wasn't really interested in this until I saw the latest commercial, which piqued my interest.

Like I did with Call of Duty: Ghosts, I will rent Advanced Warfare from Redbox and give it a try. I'm very happy I did that with Ghosts and did not waste $60 on that piece of shit.

#612 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 04 November 2014 - 07:49 AM

All tripple A games receive top scores, unless they're entirely awfull.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#613 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 04 November 2014 - 01:18 PM

Got it, played it, fallen in love with shotgunning.

NEVER STOP BOOSTING AND SPRAY WITH THAT SHOTTY AND WATCH THE BODIES FAAAAAALLLL.

Seems like they made the 'time to die' smaller for all people, trying to force you to use your exo abilities and whatnot.

Don't talk the invis ability, unless you hide in corners, because you are easy to spot...

#614 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 04 November 2014 - 07:42 PM

View PostJakovasaurus, on 03 November 2014 - 09:15 PM, said:

Wasn't really interested in this until I saw the latest commercial, which piqued my interest.

Like I did with Call of Duty: Ghosts, I will rent Advanced Warfare from Redbox and give it a try. I'm very happy I did that with Ghosts and did not waste $60 on that piece of shit.

Yeah, COD usually has some great live-action commercials.

Strangely, given the current videogame climate, I caught myself being slightly disappointed in the bro'ness of the add. Why not a guy and a girl soldier?

The answer is obviously that market analytics show that the vast majority of COD customers are men. However how do you expect to change this and potentially expand your market base if you don't try to appeal to women?

View PostMorgoth, on 04 November 2014 - 07:49 AM, said:

All tripple A games receive top scores, unless they're entirely awfull.

Jaded much?

Last years COD recieved mediochre to outright bad review scores.

This years edition is justifiably being praised for trying something that is the greatest change since the game went from WW2 to modern warfare.

View PostObdigore, on 04 November 2014 - 01:18 PM, said:

Got it, played it, fallen in love with shotgunning.

NEVER STOP BOOSTING AND SPRAY WITH THAT SHOTTY AND WATCH THE BODIES FAAAAAALLLL.

Seems like they made the 'time to die' smaller for all people, trying to force you to use your exo abilities and whatnot.

Don't talk the invis ability, unless you hide in corners, because you are easy to spot...

Yeah, I really love the new sonic boom shotgun. The detonation from firing a round is so satisfying. I find myself relying less on the double jump and using the speed boost more to just whisp through indoor/close quarter areas and one-shotting fools that get in my way.

View PostBriar King, on 03 November 2014 - 07:30 PM, said:

So how is Advance so far?

I don't think the new verticality and movement options are as intuitive and versatile as Titanfall but it's definitely changed the games feel a ton. You run faster now and walls are many times now not the obstacles or trusty cover points that they once was.

It will likely take me hours and hours to get good at using the jump boost ability, currently I find myself slamming into walls rather than hitting openings and edges that I am aiming for.

The attraction to me this time around is unlocking system. If I am not mistaken the system hasn't worked like this since MW1 and 2. This time around to unlock your various attachments you have to perform various types of kills with that weapon. Doing aim down sight kills earn you new scopes, doing hip fire kills earn you gripes or recoil dampeners, etc. What that means is that the game is rewarding you for a particular play style and giving you upgrades that enhance that style of play.

This manages to get me right in the spot that originally made me put hundreds of hours into MW1 and 2. The fact that I have to play different types of ways to unlock different types of attachments is incredibly additive for me. I find myself playing with a weapon I don't even care about just to get an unlock, which makes me learn things about the weapons I wouldn't have if I initially had picked the gun up and found it unlike what I would usually choose.

There's also some really interesting weapons like beam guns, the aforementioned sonic shotgun, railgun pistols, mini-gatlin guns. etc.

#615 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 06 November 2014 - 09:57 AM

View PostApt, on 04 November 2014 - 07:42 PM, said:

Yeah, COD usually has some great live-action commercials.

Strangely, given the current videogame climate, I caught myself being slightly disappointed in the bro'ness of the add. Why not a guy and a girl soldier?

The answer is obviously that market analytics show that the vast majority of COD customers are men. However how do you expect to change this and potentially expand your market base if you don't try to appeal to women?

Many points I think:
1) COD is hardly struggling for more sales, so I don't think they think its worth it
2) Advertising to Girls requires more budget or taking budget away from advertising against the known market
3) COD alone is no going to change the perception that the army and soldiering is for men. In the real world how many armies let woman be combatants and further Special forces? How many women want to be?
4) Gaming is no longer, nor should it be, a boys club. Still that does not mean it can't have aspects within it that are 'boys club'.

#616 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 06 November 2014 - 01:05 PM

From a business perspective it is ALWAYS worth it. You do not continue being on top of the food chain by being satisfied with "well enough". Activision should strive to always increase its marketshare, broaden its customerbase and innovate the product. In that sense, the female demographic is a large untapped customer base in videogames.

It's true that first person shooters and military scenarios are proven to have less appeal to women but that doesn't mean that it holds no appeal at all. There are women who want to participate in videogames pop culture. COD is important in that sense. If COD took strides to make COD more attractive to women, and did so succesfullly, it sends a message to the rest of the industry.

That said I completely agree with idea that everything does not have to appeal to everyone. COD doesn't have to change to appeal to women but would it be unrealistic to put a female soldier into an exo suit that levels the field in terms of strength and speed?

#617 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 07 November 2014 - 12:57 PM

Well no, it isn't 'always' worth it. If you think Activision doesn't have hordes of business analysts that analyze one of their top brands (probably their biggest cash cow if you don't include the Blizzard section), then you don't know business. And Activision, despite being in the field of video games, is absolutely a business.

Said Analysts most likely (and rightly, I think), feel that their bread and butter are adolescent through mid twenties males (and older males that have been buying this shit since COD2, for instance), and will continue to market towards them, as they are a much larger (and more inclined to impulse purchases) than the female demographic who would enjoy talking trash with 12 year olds between matches while you try to shoot them over and over with 'xXxn0sk1llh3ad$hotSxXx'.

They are right on the money for this franchise. The women who want to play are those that are willing to put up with this shit and play it already.

They know they can't police the chat in online game rooms, so they are trying to maintain their audience, which is about the only audience that will put up with that sort of thing.

That being said, the base game is pretty damned good, one of my favorites in the series. The lag compensation is horrendous in this game. It was fine day 0, getting used to the movement speed and new maps and whatnot. Day 1 was hit or miss. These last couple of days were terrible. People are intentionally throttling their connections so they get lag compensation so they can go 30-1.

Same thing happened with... I want to say Black Ops 1, and they fixed it within a week. I'm hoping for a fix from Sledgehammer soon, they've tweeted that they've got one going and are looking for release approval from MS/Sony, so hopefully that will help.

#618 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 31 December 2014 - 12:09 PM

Got ADVANCED WARFARE for Xmas and I've been playing fariyl nonstop...and not only is the game a blast to play, I''m fucking RIVETED by the story! Also, Kevin Spacey! But yeah, this game is simply amazing.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#619 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 31 December 2014 - 12:54 PM

...what.

Shinrei said:

#620 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 31 December 2014 - 01:03 PM

Its the same story they've done every 4-5 times.

That said I've been playing more COD lately, and the ASM1 is clearly the overpowered gun in the game right now, since they nerfed BAL.

Share this topic:

• 33 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users