Malazan Empire: George Martin addresses his detractors - Malazan Empire

• 16 Pages +
  • Last »

George Martin addresses his detractors I think he might mean some of us Rate Topic: -----

#41 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 22 February 2009 - 12:24 AM

I bet I could eat 100 bacon George Martins.
Error: Signature not valid

#42 User is offline   Dr Trouble 

• Pug Life
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 22 February 2009 - 12:55 AM

I think everyone just needs to take a step back and take a look at things. GRRM is a good author, He wrote three fantastic fantasy novels, and on mediocre one. But to be completely honest, the amount of other authors out there that are as good, or you can read instead of waiting for him to finish is staggering.

The way my collection is going at the moment, even if he released the book next year, I still wouldn't get to read it for a couple of months because of all the other things I have.

Let the guy finish his book. And in the meantime get to know all the other great writers out there.

This post has been edited by Trouble: 22 February 2009 - 12:56 AM

#43 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 22 February 2009 - 01:38 AM

I like GRRM's books, and would definitly list him as one of the best out there within the genre. Nevertheless, I've reached a point where I just can't muster much enthusiasm for the next book. Sure, I'll buy it at one point (though definitly not until it comes out as a mmpb), but I don't really care much. I don't think he deserves the amount of critizism he deserves for spending the time he does on the book, but I do understand how it frustrates people. Especially because I worked in a book store for so long and met a lot of people enquiering about the book and getting a new release date every time. If the author said he was pretty much done with a book you're walking in circles in anticipation of reading, years of postponement while you see the auhtors name on numerous litterary works on the new release shelf makes anyone feel a bit anoyed..
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#44 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 22 February 2009 - 02:18 AM

hmm
I was sorta fortunate that i got into ASOIAF rigth around the time AFFC came out. and I bought it within a a few weeks of seeing it was out (right after my exams in first year uni)

I used to be hyped and waited and wanted ADWD to come out and I used to get annoyed with it, though ti don't think i've ever made comment as bad as some. After a while, it went away. I haven't read any of the spoiler chapters, save for the one in AFFC, and i don't intend to till it comes out, b/c the book doesn't take that long to read anyhow, and if I know a quarter of it from spoilers, it'lltake even less.

I'll probably buy it when it comes out, but if it doesn't meet the standards set by the first 3, oh well. there's lots of other great stuff to read out there.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#45 User is offline   The Drum 

• Marine Core Sappers Club

Posted 22 February 2009 - 10:14 AM

I read the first three wwwaaaaaaayyy back when they first came out, i think i got all three in first ed hardbacks, but after finishing the first 2, i found that i didn't really enjoy the series that much, read the third cos it completed the set and that was it for me, will probably never read AFF or DWD when it's released. But want i would say is there is a hell of a lot of crap about GRRM on a lot of boards i visit. I do think that theres been a lot of jumping on the band wagon where the latest release is concerned and i would say to GRRM, forget it, it's your life, enjoy it, don't be held ransom by what others think of you
Dem bones, Dem Bones, Dem Dry Bones.

#46 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 22 February 2009 - 06:53 PM

View PostMorgoth, on Feb 21 2009, 04:14 PM, said:

View PostIlluyankas, on Feb 21 2009, 04:24 PM, said:

This is going to sound insensitive, callous and cruel (the thing is, I am, so that's the way it comes out) but that? That's a perfectly valid reason to stop writing for a while.

WHAT IS YOUR EXCUSE, GEORGE

quoting Bill Hicks again, are we?

Yes. Yes I am. There should be more Bill Hicks quoting on the forum.

@Wert: I wish I could believe you.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#47 User is offline   Avatar 

• High Fist

Posted 22 February 2009 - 10:58 PM

It's almost interesting, the amount of angry reactions GRRM gets because he doesn't write his book in the time he promised. I guess writing is a creative proces and hurrying doesn't do any good. If i was a writer, i would stop writing if i got so many agressive e-mails all the time.

#48 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 22 February 2009 - 11:00 PM

Lesson #1, don't give e-mail out to public.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#49 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 22 February 2009 - 11:03 PM

Lesson 2: Don't eat so many twinkies...

#50 User is offline   alestar 

• Fist
  • Interests:cooking, wine, beer, reading, music, hockey & football

Posted 23 February 2009 - 12:04 AM

Lesson #3: mmmmmmmm Bacon

#51 User is offline   TeddyGraham 

• Corporal

Posted 23 February 2009 - 02:58 AM

Ive read all four and I honestly dont even remember what happens anymore other then a few vague details. I dont care when he finishes anymore either, i just dont plan to read any more until he finishes the entire series....if he does.

BTW Avatar love the quote from fight club.
sometimes I wonder if the gift of revelation, of discovering the means underlying humanity, offers nothing more then the devastating sense of futility, it is the ignorant who find cause and cling to it, for within that lies the illusion of significance-steven erikson.

#52 User is offline   Cold Iron 

• I'll have some lasagna

Posted 23 February 2009 - 05:03 AM

Lesson #4: don't spend an entire book developing a new plot arc and then abandon it entirely for the next book because you don't like jumping back and forward.

#53 User is offline   Darkwatch 

• A Strange Human
  • Group: The Most Holy and Exalted Inquis

Posted 23 February 2009 - 05:04 AM

View PostAbyss, on Feb 20 2009, 09:56 AM, said:

- Abyss, because romance is better with gunfights in it...

And that's why you watch "Shoot 'em Up".
The Pub is Always Open

Proud supporter of the Wolves of Winter. Glory be to her Majesty, The Lady Snow.
Cursed Summer returns. The Lady Now Sleeps.

The Sexy Thatch Burning Physicist

Τον Πρωτος Αληθη Δεσποτην της Οικιας Αυτος

RodeoRanch said:

You're a rock.
A non-touching itself rock.

#54 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 23 February 2009 - 05:12 AM

Lesson #5: For every action, there is an equal and opposite lesbian arc involving Daeneryis.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#55 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 23 February 2009 - 06:45 AM

Lesson 6: Mmmmhh, incestious relationships...

#56 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 23 February 2009 - 07:06 AM

Lesson #7: Dwarfs secretly run the world.

#57 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 23 February 2009 - 09:01 AM

View PostSlow Ben, on Feb 21 2009, 12:39 AM, said:

I dont think people would be making such a big deal out of this if he hadnt put in the back cover of AFFC that ADWD would be out about next year. so people expected it soon. If he'd have just said nothing about when its coming out we'd still be waiting impatiently, but without so much venom.

The back of my copy of Battlefield Earth by L Ron Hubbard (yes, I didn't mind it as cheesy scifi) proudly stated :COMING SOON AS A MAJOR MOTION PICTURE!

Trust me, if you haven't seen it, the wait WASN'T worth it.

By the way, I bought and read it in 1986. Good thing I didn't hold my breath, eh?

Cheers,

La Sombra, keepin' it sang-real
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#58 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 23 February 2009 - 09:10 AM

Well, we are all at the mercy of George, so I don't mind anything around here that is humorously taking my mind off of that fact.

#59 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 23 February 2009 - 03:54 PM

View PostDarkwatch, on Feb 23 2009, 12:04 AM, said:

View PostAbyss, on Feb 20 2009, 09:56 AM, said:

- Abyss, because romance is better with gunfights in it...

And that's why you watch "Shoot 'em Up".

You're not wrong. Also, TRUE ROMANCE.

- Abyss, is so cool.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#60 User is offline   blackzoid 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 23 February 2009 - 05:10 PM

I find people complaining about waiting for Dance of Dragons amusing.
Stephen Kings Dark Tower series took 20+ years to be finished. With generally 4-5 years between books. (except for the last 3)
Now that was an ordeal.
Read something else in the meantime. Have more hobbies.

Share this topic:

• 16 Pages +
  • Last »

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users