• You cannot reply to this topic

Looking forward to this!

#41 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 24 March 2010 - 09:47 PM

Have you read TtH? Kharkanas and Draconus get a good going over in that book
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#42 User is offline   Lucky Revenant 

• Corporal

Posted 19 April 2010 - 09:39 PM

I would like it if this trilogy helped us better understand what went down with Emurlahn. My current rereading of TTH is making me want this trilogy despite what happens in it, though.

I kind of wonder how the Andii were before all the ennui, since I don't think the ennui is an intrinsic trait of the race, and only appeared once Mother Dark turned her face on the Andii

#43 User is offline   maro 

• Fist

Posted 20 April 2010 - 02:10 AM

I presume (hope) the Tiste Liosan are not going to be comic relief in these books?

#44 User is offline   UmbraPhoenix 

• Recruit

Posted 31 May 2010 - 05:30 PM

Personally, any additional writing centered on Rake and the Tiste Andii is good as far as i am concerned. They have been my favorite race since the begining, and Rake is my absolute favorite character. Having an opportunity to learn more about his, and Andarist's, and Silchas's past is all i could have wished for. Throw in characters like Draconus before his humbling in dragnipur, and some of the other powerful tiste soletaken and this promises to be perhaps the best setting yet!

#45 User is offline   Ceda Cicero 

• Ceda of Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 18 June 2010 - 05:32 PM

The only thing I'm certain of in regard to this trilogy is that it will surprise us, as this is SEs forte. I am sure we will get a lot of new insight into all the principles (the brothers, MD, probably Draconus, etc...) but almost surely not in the way that we would expect. For example I highly doubt the bulk of the story will be told from POVs we're familiar with - something about that seems wrong to me. And certainly, as another poster has mentioned, we won't be seeing Rake as a welp wandering around pissed at his mom for shacking up with Draconus, going on a Rand al'Thor-esque question to drink the blood of T'iam, anything like that...

I am most interested to see precisely what roles the brothers determined they would take in the war, particularly. In TtH, what we saw through Endest Silann made it seem pretty clear that they had discussed and agreed upon each taking a different route - whatever Andarist's was, recall, it broke Silchas's heart. Also there have been repeated references to Andarist surrendering his power willingly (more than just passing on drinking from T'iam.) In the MT prologue, Scabandari says he did so out of grief, and it was grief delivered by Scabandari's own hand.

All in all, everything we've seen of Kharkanas, MD, and Kurald Galain so far has the feel of THE mythological/ontological foundation for the universe. In less capable hands, I would definitely be wary of an author setting out to explore such a thing in a prequel series, but I am confident that SE will do it well and surprise us.

View PostIlluyankas, on 07 April 2011 - 08:37 PM, said:

How do you rape a cave? Do you ask, "You want to fuck, yes?" hear the echo come back, "Yes... es... es..." and get your barnacle-gouged groove on?

#46 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe

Posted 19 December 2010 - 10:24 PM

TtH Spoilers...

Down at the causeway spanning the Citadel's moat, blood leaked out from bodies sprawled along its length, and in the north sky something terrible was happening. Lurid slashes like a rainbow gone mad, spreading in waves that devoured darkness. Was it pain that strangled the very air? Was it something else burgeoning to life, shattering the universe itself?

Endest Silann, a simple acolyte in the Temple of Mother Dark, wove drunkenly round the bodies towards the Outer Gate, skidding on pools of gore. Through the gate's peaked arch he could see the city, the roofs like the gears of countless mechanisms, gears that could lock with the sky itself, with all creation. Such was Kharkanas, First Born of all cities. But the sky had changed. The perfect machine of existence was broken - see the sky!

The city trembled, the roofs now ragged edged. A wind had begun to howl, the voice of the multihued light-storm as it lashed out, flared with thunderous fire.

Forsaken. We are forsaken!

He reached the gate, fell against one pillar and clawed at the tears streaming from his eyes. The High Priestess, cruel poet, was shrieking in the nave of the Temple, shrieking like a woman being raped. Others - women all - were writhing on the marble floor, convulsing in unison, a prostrate dance of macabre sensuality. The priests and male acolytes had sought to still the thrashing limbs, to ease the ravaged cries erupting from tortured throats with empty assurances, but then, one by one, they began to recoil as the tiles grew slick beneath the women, the so-called Nectar of Ecstasy - and no, no man could now pretend otherwise, could not but see this the way it was, the truth of it.

They fled. Crazed with horror, yes, but driven away by something else, and was it not envy?

Civil war had ignited, deadly as that storm in the sky. Families were being torn asunder, from the Citadel itself down to the meanest homes of the commonry. Andii blood painted Kharkanas and there was nowhere to run.

Through the gate, and then, even as despair choked all life from Endest Silann, he saw him approaching. From the city below. His forearms sheathed in black glistening scales, his bared chest made a thing of natural armour, The blood of Tiam ran riot through him, fired to life in the conflation of chaotic sorcery, and his eyes glowed with ferocious will.

Endest tell to his knees in Anomander's path. 'Lord! The world falls!'

'Rise, priest,' he replied. 'The world does not fall. It but changes. I need you. Come,'

And so he walked past, and Endest found himself on his feet, as Lord Anomander's will closed about his heart like an iron gauntlet, pulling him round and into the great warrior's wake.

He wiped at his eyes. 'Lord, where are we going?'

'The Temple.'

'We cannot! They have gone mad - the women! They are—'

'I know what assails them, priest.'

'The High Priestess—'

'Is of no interest to me.' Anomander paused, glanced back at him. 'Tell me your name.'

'Endest Silann, Third Level Acolyte. Lord, please—'

But the warrior continued on, silencing Endest with a gesture from one scaled, taloned hand. 'The crime of this day, Endest Silann, rests with Mother Dark herself.'
And then, at that precise moment, the young acolyte understood what the Lord intended. And yes, Anomander would indeed need him. His very soul - Mother forgive me - to open the way, to lead the Lord on to the Unseen Road.

And he will stand before her, yes. Tall, unyielding, a son who is not afraid. Not of her. Not of his own anger. The storm, oh, the storm is just beginning

Yeh, this novel has huge potential, oooohhhh the possibilities!

I would have to say, out of the two trilogies, I got to be looking forward to this more than the Toblakai...

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#47 User is offline   Fid 

• Old Git of High House Muttley

Posted 22 February 2011 - 01:49 PM

Update from SE at last night's TCG signing in Manchester is that he is well into volume 1 of Kharkana trilogy - apparently an 18 month cycle. He also suggested that trilogy will cover up to the point of Mother Dark's fall

#48 User is offline   Blueiron 

• Acolyte of Quick Ben

Posted 25 February 2011 - 12:25 AM

Y'know, sometimes the "back to the beginning" things can be done wrong, but really, Kharkanas is so far back that there's really no chance of it having been anything we've seen before, except perhapse Endest Silann's little flashbacks in TtH. And I kinda liked those.

On the whole immaculate conceptrion thing, it makes a sorta sense with Rake and co, but how does that work for Liossercal? How can you be born with a father but no mother? :)
QBFTW!

#49 User is offline   Harvester 

• Evil Baron Kitty of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 25 February 2011 - 11:52 AM

From clay :3

#50 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe

Posted 25 February 2011 - 01:26 PM

Put it this way... after reading tCG I am even more excited for this now!

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#51 User is offline   miriya 

• Kiss where?

Posted 09 March 2011 - 07:29 PM

View Postchamp, on 19 December 2010 - 10:24 PM, said:

TtH Spoilers...

Through the gate, and then, even as despair choked all life from Endest Silann, he saw him approaching. From the city below. His forearms sheathed in black glistening scales, his bared chest made a thing of natural armour, The blood of Tiam ran riot through him, fired to life in the conflation of chaotic sorcery, and his eyes glowed with ferocious will.

Endest tell to his knees in Anomander's path. 'Lord! The world falls!'

'Rise, priest,' he replied. 'The world does not fall. It but changes. I need you. Come,'

And so he walked past, and Endest found himself on his feet, as Lord Anomander's will closed about his heart like an iron gauntlet, pulling him round and into the great warrior's wake.

--

And he will stand before her, yes. Tall, unyielding, a son who is not afraid. Not of her. Not of his own anger. The storm, oh, the storm is just beginning

God, the way things are worded; how the storm had no particular meaning until TCG, and then WHAM! Have some, all ye faithful!

The Andii are amazing; Annie Mandy was my favorite through the series, save for Fid, and all those snippets of history reeeeeeally had me craving further details of just wtf happened there. In any sense, I am looking forward to this book -- pre-fall Kharkanas would be superior, and even if it's not something I'm expecting I know SE will make me love it in short time.

#52 User is offline   Daeghrefn 

• Corporal

Posted 11 March 2011 - 01:52 AM

I was ambivalent about this new series before TCG, but no longer.
Hust Legions. That is all.

#53 User is offline   Sty 

• Recruit

Posted 22 March 2011 - 10:49 PM

Yup, I'm surprised no one's mentioned it yet.. but there's bound to be some Shake in there, ain't it? I just hope the Watch of old can stand up to Yedan Derryg. Tall order, that!

#54 User is offline   rannald 

• The Phillius Of Dillius

Posted 28 March 2011 - 07:51 PM

silly question... if the three brothers are Mother Darks sons possibly from the union with father light... but all of the andii are MD's children
what makes Anomander, Andarist and Silchas so special...

#55 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB

Posted 12 April 2011 - 11:22 AM

View Postrannald, on 28 March 2011 - 07:51 PM, said:

silly question... if the three brothers are Mother Darks sons possibly from the union with father light... but all of the andii are MD's children
what makes Anomander, Andarist and Silchas so special...

They survived. And in fact we don't know that's the case. Wu hasn't been completely mapped, and there's enough to suggest other Andii might have gone elsewhere.

I suspect the PoVs for this will be other prominent Andii outside these three, looking across the whole of the issue. If the three are the set in the lead up to MD's fall, there seems no reason to suggest that they will be the primary antagonists. For all we know, at this point, they only really stepped into their own post MD's fall.
Para todos todo, para nosotros nada.

MottI'd always pegged you as more of an Ublala

#56 User is offline   IgnatiusKruppe 

• Lieutenant

Posted 20 May 2011 - 07:57 AM

" In the MT prologue, Scabandari says he did so out of grief, and it was grief delivered by Scabandari's own hand."

This kind of ties in with my wild theory, which is that the Edur were actually the OG Tiste & The Andii & Liosan came later. Obviously, everyone wants to point out to the Edur how their history is based on lies... but who doesn't want to believe their own version of history?
""The Dark Times had come with the rivening of the Tiste Edur, the assault of sorceries and strange armies and the disappearence of Father Shadow himself"
-MT pg 22

I'm just glad we're going to see some of these characters before they've seen history cycle through on itself a dozen times already.

In a perfect world, SE would take advantage of the long life span's of the characters and somehow manage to skip the plot through a couple hundred years and work through the Tiste Invasion & subsequent fight vs dinobots which could tie in so nicely with Gothos, Icarium's technology and the sundering of KE.
Basically, I wouldn't at all mind if this was "The past half million years for dummies" . F the Kharkanas trilogy, lets just call it "Gothos' Folly" and somehow work the Just Wars and the death of the FA god and everything else awesome.
Hell, if nothing else he could just use the chapter lead-ins for historical infodumps from more ancient historians with slightly less foggy memories. Poetrys great and all, but no poem could ever top 500 words explaining some minute detail of why the KCCM needed a parking lot as big as the Ukraine. Do we repeat this cycle? Will we eventually have the Omni-Mart & Sky-Keeps to ferry us in to our one stop shopping center?
On the real though..considering the length of these characters lives (and the massive amount of backstory that could be filled in), it seems like having the plot-twists spread out over 500,000 years & tying into everything else would be a more ambitious and interesting way to go about it than plotted out the way a human-centric story would be.

#57 User is offline   Inkiper 

• fist full of steel

Posted 17 June 2012 - 10:26 PM

Unfortunately the Baruk were wrong with this family tree I think...
Tiam was mother of eleints, Osserc was Anomander ,silchas and andarist brother???, and Draconus was Mother's Dark husband (after CG I can think that somehow there are some similarities between Anomander and Draconus-don't you think??? And all these persons had eleints blood...
Knowledge & Wisdom

#58 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 02 March 2013 - 01:04 PM

Yeah after FoD this family tree is looking somewhat... terribly wrong.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#59 User is offline   Archsorceror 

• Recruit

Posted 04 March 2013 - 03:04 PM

And am I wrong that Olar Ethil is Envy & Spite's mother?

#60 User is offline   Mrs Savagely Wishy Washy 

• unaligned and irremediable
  • Interests:vested.
  • Ugly is the new pretty.

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:00 AM

I'm taking bets on the name of the last volume in the Kharkanas Trilogy:

The Birth of Shadow or The Rise of Shadow.
but are they worth preserving?
'that judgement does not belong to you.'

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users