• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Working the night shift. It's driving me insane

#1 User is offline   RodeoRanch 

• The Midnight Special
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 12 February 2009 - 01:57 AM

A man is not supposed to work past 5PM. That's quitting time.

I don't know who the fuck decided to make men, in particular this man, work past that hallowed quitting time. There's little work left at night. Just waiting...waiting...waiting for the fucking groups to leave the building. I hate guests. I hate customers. I hate them so much.

I'm losing my mind.

Though I did amuse myself last night by blaring the "Conan the Barbarian" soundtrack throughout the empty building and fighting imaginary enemies with the mop.

#2 User is offline   Sparkimus 

• afternoon delight
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 12 February 2009 - 02:10 AM

So long as you're still winning those fights you're good to go. The day you're slain by an imaginary foe is the same day you should commit yourself. Unless you're into the whole painting with poo in a nice sun dress, then a toast is in order I suppose.

QUOTE (Stalker @ Jan 23 2009, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So last night I was walking downtown for some pizza at like 1am with some friends of mine,
and someone said, "I'm so hungry I could eat a whole pizza."

I said, "I bet I could eat 100 pizzas," and no one understood me. I was sad.

#3 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 12 February 2009 - 02:16 AM

F it. Read a book.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#4 User is offline   RodeoRanch 

• The Midnight Special

Posted 12 February 2009 - 02:31 AM

Speaking of poo, one of the sewer lines backed up today. Some lovely lady flushed her used feminine hygiene product down the toliet, despite the signs on every bathroom door stating "Don't fucking do that."

So I had to crack open the line, use a snake and remove said sewage obstacle. The smells were...strong. The fluids spraying and dripping were...plentinful.

I'm glad I didn't become a full-time plumber.

#5 User is offline   Darkwatch 

• A Strange Human
  • Group: The Most Holy and Exalted Inquis

Posted 12 February 2009 - 04:01 AM

I'm mildly inebriated and this thread amuses me.

Customers are twats.
I hate working with them.
The Pub is Always Open

Proud supporter of the Wolves of Winter. Glory be to her Majesty, The Lady Snow.
Cursed Summer returns. The Lady Now Sleeps.

The Sexy Thatch Burning Physicist

Τον Πρωτος Αληθη Δεσποτην της Οικιας Αυτος

RodeoRanch said:

You're a rock.
A non-touching itself rock.

#6 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 12 February 2009 - 05:03 AM

View PostRodeoRanch, on Feb 11 2009, 09:31 PM, said:

Speaking of poo, one of the sewer lines backed up today. Some lovely lady flushed her used feminine hygiene product down the toliet, despite the signs on every bathroom door stating "Don't fucking do that."

So I had to crack open the line, use a snake and remove said sewage obstacle. The smells were...strong. The fluids spraying and dripping were...plentinful.

I'm glad I didn't become a full-time plumber.

I've been in similar situations - only with tree roots and an entire basement full of backflow. Being slave labor to my parents, I got stuck with that cleanup job both times.

The only cure is to drink a lot of whiskey. And rage.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#7 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 12 February 2009 - 09:37 AM

Back in 2006-07, I was doing a shitty night shift (11pm-7am) at a plastics factory. Truly mind-and-body-numbing stuff. The only advantages were the shift penalty rates and the fact that going to work there was no traffic, and going home I was going the other way to 95% of the early morning traffic. :(

@DW
No mate, customers aren't twats. Twats are useful for something. :)

Cheers,

La Sombra, = shift and retail rage :p :p :) :p

This post has been edited by Sombra: 12 February 2009 - 09:40 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#8 User is offline   Lisheo 

• Difference Engineer
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:All of the things.

Posted 12 February 2009 - 01:10 PM

Ah, the Night-shift... Maybe its just cus I have difficulties sleeping, but I consider it the best time to work. You don't have to deal with as many annoying customers, usually, the place is quiet, and menial work gives you something to do while you think.
“People have wanted to narrate since first we banged rocks together & wondered about fire. There’ll be tellings as long as there are any of us here, until the stars disappear one by one like turned-out lights.”
- China Mieville

#9 User is offline   bubba 

• High Marshall
  • View gallery
  • Interests:5.3%
  • Kill all the golfers...

Posted 12 February 2009 - 07:20 PM

I feel your pain Rodeo........

just try to remember the fun you had last summer.

[attachment=2302:Who_Brou..._Fun_Guy.jpg]

.....well then again you probably don't remember that anyway.

#10 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 12 February 2009 - 07:25 PM

I didnt mind the ngiht shift, its the 24 hours shift that I hate.

#11 User is offline   Anomander 

• Wielder of Dragnipur

Posted 12 February 2009 - 10:10 PM

Aren't 24 hour shifts illegal?
And so the First denied their Mother,
in their fury, and so were cast out,
doomed children of Mother Dark.

#12 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 12 February 2009 - 10:17 PM

possibly, but when the work has to be done it has to be done. Was a shoping centre extension, so we were working all day, then at night we hada pull new supplie sin through the the night, so, 24 hours it was, 3 in one week. well p;aid but absolutely shattered come the end of the last shift on saturday morning

#13 User is offline   Sparkimus 

• afternoon delight

Posted 12 February 2009 - 10:32 PM

Recent studies showed that people who worked the night shift are much more likely to get cancer due to lack of essential endorphins that are released during nighttime sleep. Those endorphins aren't released during the day apparently.

But who am I to believe any sort of study on cancer?

So last night I was walking downtown for some pizza at like 1am with some friends of mine,

#14 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 12 February 2009 - 10:33 PM

That study depresses the insomniac in me.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#15 User is offline   Sparkimus 

• afternoon delight

Posted 12 February 2009 - 10:37 PM

It did to me too buddy.

#16 User is offline   Fist Gamet 

• Mortal Sword
  • Interests:Writing, reading, writing, climbing, writing, scuba diving and writing (not at the same time)

Posted 12 February 2009 - 11:14 PM

At the risk of becoming a target of rodeo-rage (did you see what I did there?) night-shift in my work is infinitely better than days. You get paid more, you get to sleep during the day when the rest of the poor sods are working, it's quiet, the bosses are not there, nobody messes with you and it's where I get most of my reading and studying done. :D
Victory is mine!

#17 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 13 February 2009 - 02:13 AM

I once had a job doing manual labour at a convention centre, and since I had nothing even remotely approaching seniority that meant I got the night shift pretty much all the time (11-7 in this case). Generally I found we could get away with a lot more stuff, like filling up unused vases with ice and storing beer in em in the storage basement. Plus, all the bitchiest managers never worked the nights either, so that was a plus. All that is countered by the ass-raping of a time you get trying to coordinate working nights with any sort of daytime activity, especially the social kind. Wanna go to a bar 'til 4 in the morning? Only on your days off!

Still, having to help drunk high school girls get out of the building at 2 in the morning was occasionally fun...

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#18 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 13 February 2009 - 02:17 AM

Did I hear drunk high school girls? Damnit. It's only a matter of time before Chris Hanson finds me.

#19 User is offline   Slum 

• House Knight

Posted 13 February 2009 - 02:21 AM

View PostHoosierDaddy, on Feb 12 2009, 09:17 PM, said:

Did I hear drunk high school girls? Damnit. It's only a matter of time before Chris Hanson finds me.

That's the real reason I had to move. Gotta stay a step ahead of Hanson. :D

I had a night-shift job stocking books at a campus store...me and my buddy used to steal books like they were going out of style...

Then my buddy got the the bright idea to start stealing stuff from upstairs (the retail center)...CDs, DVDs, computer parts...needless to say they caught him on tape and busted him. That put an end to that.

#20 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 13 February 2009 - 02:26 AM

Kleptos ruin everything.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users