So light it blows, at lark it goes _
invisible indifferent sight_

#23 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 08 February 2009 - 03:04 AM

View PostYellow, on Feb 7 2009, 11:33 AM, said:

Meh, why the negative attitude, D'rek?

Sorry. The negative bit comes from me thinking about the wikia malaz wiki or the worst of the wikipedia malaz crap that's popped up. Those were very bad examples. I didn't mean any negativity towards hoodsballs (at least not in my last post, hehe), as they have just started and judgement will be reserved until they've had a chance to prove themselves and we can see how they do.

Seriously, that wikia wiki is just awful. I had more nightmares from seeing it than goatse and tubgirl put together...

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#24 User is offline   syphon 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 08 February 2009 - 08:46 PM

I don't know... spoilers are a tricky bit. On one hand, absolutely anything said about a book is a spoiler (even mentioning a character's name shows that they have/haven't died, or even the title). In my opinion, it's really easy to take it too far, and then it isn't enjoyable (and marginally useful) for anyone, as every single word must be highly scrutinized and cross-referenced. On the other hand, most people don't want to be spoiled about events that occur in the future (hence the very nature of spoilers).

In my personal opinion, the image of Hood isn't a significant spoiler, at least not worth changing. Some will disagree with me, and that's perfectly fine! (thus the very nature of a wiki!) Being perfectly honest... I wouldn't mind changing the main image if someone designed one, submitted it, and enough people liked it to vote a change. Our current image was the best submission by far.

Also, take a look at the 4th line of this page: http://encyclopediam...pbwiki.com/Hood. :harhar: I mean, clearly Hood's race is definitely a spoiler, but does it spoil a significant plot point? I don't entirely think so.

I'd be interested in collaboration as well. It's widely recognized that you guys have a TON of content, which we clearly lack at this point.

#25 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 08 February 2009 - 09:39 PM

View Postsyphon, on Feb 8 2009, 03:46 PM, said:

Also, take a look at the 4th line of this page: http://encyclopediam...pbwiki.com/Hood. :harhar: I mean, clearly Hood's race is definitely a spoiler, but does it spoil a significant plot point? I don't entirely think so.

yeah spoilers can be tricky. we mostly stopped doing them after the switch to IPB, maybe even sooner, except for in FAQ sections and other pages where its feasible and useful...

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#26 User is offline   vanmartin 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 10 February 2009 - 01:47 PM

View PostD'rek, on Feb 7 2009, 06:15 PM, said:

View PostYellow, on Feb 7 2009, 05:30 AM, said:

syphon, I put this comment in another thread, but you may not have seen it:

Shouldn't the picture of Hood with his balls be classified as a a spoiler? It does make it quite obvious what race he is... perhaps black out the tusks?

Also, I agree with whoever about collaboration - seems obvious to me. You have one effort that looks great (with a format that readers will be very familiar with already), and another that has all the meat. Why go separate ways? There may be a thousand pages to go through, but you can set up scripts for re-formatting, surely? Or even if not, all of you take a chunk of pages and get cracking. It will feel good once you're finished :p

We "go seperate ways" precisely because of your first bit. It seems we are a bit more anal about spoilers and referencing than any other wiki that has since tried to come along. While a pretty format is nice, we're not about to sacrifice our professional dependability for visual appeal. Past wiki-attempts have not been diligent enough for this, but maybe hoodsballs is different and it is only the front page image that needs concern us, but it may be too early to tell such matters...

The front page image can be classified as a spoiler but the question is does it really spoil any major storylines? It would however be easy to take out the tusks if Hoods Balls contributors feel strongly enough about it.

Edit: Sorry guys, didn't notice this thread had run onto a second page. In full agreement with syphon's last post.

This post has been edited by vanmartin: 10 February 2009 - 01:51 PM

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users