• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

topper in the Imperial warren questions

#21 User is offline   Dolorous Menhir 

• God
  • Group: Wiki Contributor

Posted 13 January 2009 - 10:25 PM

View Postfoolio, on Jan 13 2009, 08:33 PM, said:

Apsalar would have probably known Topper from Dancer's memories.

good point , and she does say something like, "you, no we thought you were" then she gets zapped. Topper would not know her though.

Sorry/Apsalar was a person of interest for the Malazan Empire since GotM, and Topper is one of the top five people in that organisation. Apsalar also killed hundreds of Claw during BH (I know this was after he "disappeared", but I think we can safely say he was still communicating with Laseen and following events). I don't see how he could possibly not be aware of her existence.

Plus it's totally inconceivable that a character as important and centralas Apsalar would die anonymously in a random encounter in what is basically a companion book to the series.

#22 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Football

Posted 13 January 2009 - 10:26 PM

View PostDolorous Menhir, on Jan 13 2009, 05:25 PM, said:

Plus it's totally inconceivable that a character as important and centralas Apsalar would die anonymously in a random encounter in what is basically a companion book to the series.

Best literary point.

This post has been edited by HoosierDaddy: 13 January 2009 - 10:31 PM

Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#23 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 13 January 2009 - 10:31 PM

Uhm. How would he know what she looked like? You think the claw intelligence network was handing around apsalar pamphlets?

#24 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 13 January 2009 - 10:33 PM

View PostAptorian, on Jan 13 2009, 05:31 PM, said:

Uhm. How would he know what she looked like? You think the claw intelligence network was handing around apsalar pamphlets?

They have her identified by the time Paran goes to join the Bridgeburners in GotM. They could have surreptitiously (how, without her noticing I have no idea) identified her look.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#25 User is offline   Lisheo 

• Difference Engineer
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:All of the things.

Posted 13 January 2009 - 10:34 PM

You ever wonder if it was Dassem's daughter, people? :(
“People have wanted to narrate since first we banged rocks together & wondered about fire. There’ll be tellings as long as there are any of us here, until the stars disappear one by one like turned-out lights.”
- China Mieville

#26 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 13 January 2009 - 10:36 PM

I think it was Mother Dark.

#27 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 13 January 2009 - 10:36 PM

It was obviously the off-spring of the two people on the grassy noll in Dallas in 1963.

Why would she become a claw after Laseen tried to off her pops? Why would she be a claw and not a swordswoman, whose "style" Topper recognizes? Or is this knowledge I don't yet have from NoK?

This post has been edited by HoosierDaddy: 13 January 2009 - 10:37 PM

#28 User is offline   Lisheo 

• Difference Engineer

Posted 13 January 2009 - 10:37 PM

We, as far as I know, have no proof it was a claw. I don't believe it was Dassem's daughter, but the possibility is still there. Esslemont dropping the "His daughter" comment seemed to suggest if we think about it, it should be someone obvious.
“People have wanted to narrate since first we banged rocks together & wondered about fire. There’ll be tellings as long as there are any of us here, until the stars disappear one by one like turned-out lights.”
- China Mieville

#29 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 13 January 2009 - 10:39 PM

Dancer said he had a daughter once. I don't know if he was being figurative, but if he wasn't...

#30 User is offline   Lisheo 

• Difference Engineer

Posted 13 January 2009 - 10:40 PM

He was speaking about Apsalar. "A daughter,of sorts."
- China Mieville

#31 User is offline   Dolorous Menhir 

• God

Posted 13 January 2009 - 10:42 PM

View PostLisheo, on Jan 13 2009, 10:37 PM, said:

We, as far as I know, have no proof it was a claw. I don't believe it was Dassem's daughter, but the possibility is still there. Esslemont dropping the "His daughter" comment seemed to suggest if we think about it, it should be someone obvious.

So was this a joke, or am I missing something? Is there a reason to think Dassem's daughter is not still dead/comatose in an Azath?

#32 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 13 January 2009 - 10:43 PM

View PostLisheo, on Jan 13 2009, 05:40 PM, said:

He was speaking about Apsalar. "A daughter,of sorts."

We don't know that for sure. That is speculation.

This post has been edited by HoosierDaddy: 13 January 2009 - 10:43 PM

#33 User is offline   Lisheo 

• Difference Engineer

Posted 13 January 2009 - 10:47 PM

View PostDolorous Menhir, on Jan 13 2009, 10:42 PM, said:

View PostLisheo, on Jan 13 2009, 10:37 PM, said:

So was this a joke, or am I missing something? Is there a reason to think Dassem's daughter is not still dead/comatose in an Azath?

Not particularly, but when you actually think about it, Dassem's daughter is probably the only one we know at the moment that COULD fit into the bracket. Also, its been hypothesised that her soul is in use sealing the CG away, as he seems to be mobile at the end, is it impossible that she's now free/another soul has taken her place, if that is the case?
I won't lie, if we have a Kellanved "I am your father, random mysterious character," I will be pissed off...

In the context, and considering his behaviour to Apsalar, it does suggest it, HD.

Actuall, could it be Kiska?
- China Mieville

#34 User is offline   Dolorous Menhir 

• God

Posted 13 January 2009 - 11:03 PM

Are we talking about the same thing? Kiska is still alive at the end of the book. We're trying to work out who the unnamed woman was that Topper killed about halfway through.

#35 User is offline   Lisheo 

• Difference Engineer

Posted 13 January 2009 - 11:09 PM

Topper tossed her into a warren, there was no proof of her dying, iirc?
- China Mieville

#36 User is offline   Dolorous Menhir 

• God

Posted 13 January 2009 - 11:57 PM

p 202

...he thrust out both arms and lances of darkness struck the girl throwing her backwards. She lay gasping for air, her ribs shattered, lungs punctured.

Mortal wounds, I think.

Later:

He rested a hand on her shoulder. Unconscious. Still, her heart beat. There was yet a chance...

He gestured and a pool of utter darkness emerged from beneath the girl like liquid night. She sank into it, disappearing as if into a well of ink. A small enough gesture...but he felt that he owed her at least that. A pity is always the best who are sent.

He should've anticipated that.

I think this means that she will die, but he has removed her body rather than leaving it lying in the Imperial Warren, as he's done with his other victims. A gesture of respect for a talented victim, not a move to keep her alive.

That may be wrong, but I think we can be sure that is not Kiska, Vorcan's daughter (both seen alive and well later in the book), Apsalar (makes no sense) or Dassems' daughter (a suggestion apparently plucked out of the air because she refers to her father).

On the father point:

"You recognize it [my technique]! My father taught me. And you ought not to have revealed your familiarity..."

Apsalar would not say this. It was Cotillion that described their relationship as father/daughter, in a throwaway comment. Dassem's daughter doesn't make any sense either.

#37 User is offline   Lisheo 

• Difference Engineer

Posted 13 January 2009 - 11:59 PM

That sounds almost like her father is some character to be revealed later,in another book...
Thanks, DM. I must reread RotCG again. :( Now Im curious as to who this talented Daddy Assassin is...
- China Mieville

#38 User is offline   Shinrei 

• charin charin

Posted 14 January 2009 - 01:54 AM

SPOILER

Spoiler

You’ve never heard of the Silanda? … It’s the ship that made the Warren of Telas run in less than 12 parsecs.

#39 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 14 January 2009 - 02:18 AM

Now that you bring it up... who the hell is Crokus' pops? His uncle clearly wasn't Mammot in truth, seeing as how the Cabal has been around for long-long time.

#40 User is offline   Lisheo 

• Difference Engineer

Posted 14 January 2009 - 02:30 AM

Well, who would be of significant interest for a millenia old mage to raise?
An interesting question.
- China Mieville

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

14 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 14 guests, 0 anonymous users