• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The real god The only real god

#41 User is offline   GanoesSavesTheWorld 

• Corporal
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 09 March 2009 - 09:45 PM

View PostCause, on Mar 9 2009, 03:03 PM, said:

I disagree further. A parent gives its childrens laws which itself is not subject to. What is good for the goose is not always what is good for the gander. God is not subject to needing to keep kosher for example yet he asks jews to be. I also question your key ideas submission and obedience. I was taught that what gods asks us to do what he asks out of love because it is best for us, not because he wishes us to obey. Im jewish. I belive Islam takes the harder obedience line and christianity I have always viewed as a religeon of faith over action. However I think we are mostly concerned with personal god over religous ideas but I would still hesitate in apllying the views you espouse when so many people have so many different ideas.

Lastly does god champion order over choas. What evidence, reasons have you for suggesting this. Would the concepts even mean antyhting to an omnipotent omnipresent etc being. The idea of creation as order from choas is largly poetry Iwould think over literal meaning

I wasn't suggesting that God is subject to the same laws that we here on earth are. Using your analogy, the parents have still have to obey certain laws, if for no other reason than to be an example to their children. God is our Father, we are made in His image, and He is trying to teach us to be obedient. It is the best thing for us and makes us happy indeed, the reason for which is because it also teaches us mastery over our baser selves, and as we know self-discipline can lead to greater success in life. The principles we learn and master here will also serve us in the next life, but that's a different discussion.

I would think that the scriptures themselves are evidence enough, with the constant exhortations of obeying the commandments, making covenants, etc. Why would God try so hard to teach us to espouse virtues that He himself does not? Along with that, you have the polar opposite of God, Satan, who is the master of lies, deceit, and chaos.

christianity I have always viewed as a religeon of faith over action."

I would argue that it is fundamentally wrong. See James 2:17: "Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone." I believe that faith = works/action. Action is the way you express your faith.

One other thought, it seems to me that a God who wasn't concerned about order, would indeed be an impersonal, unfeeling God.

#42 User is offline   GanoesSavesTheWorld 

• Corporal

Posted 09 March 2009 - 10:23 PM

View PostDolorous Menhir, on Mar 9 2009, 03:08 PM, said:

Had a catch-up, was surprised that Cold Iron said something nice about me (or at least that I helped him). This is progress. I wanted to respond to a couple of points.

View PostBrynjar, on Feb 11 2009, 03:50 PM, said:

2000 years of Christian theology, 3000 years of Jewish theology, 1500 years of Muslim theology, and 2500 years of Buddhist meditation would probably disagree with the above emphasised statement.

View PostGanoesSavesTheWorld, on Mar 2 2009, 11:22 PM, said:

Sure, there are all kinds of "evidences", ranging from scientific studies that religion has a positive effect on health, to the many miracles as yet unexplained by science, to the fact that mankind has always searched for a higher power, regardless of race, culture, or time period, to C.S. Lewis "trilemma" argument about Jesus Christ, to physical evidences of the Bible, to the fact that trillions of people throughout history have come to a belief and a personal relationship with God. The list goes on and on.

I consider these evidences. An atheist or someone who swears by science would not.

These are appeals to authority (antiquity, popularity), not presentation of evidence. Though I would be interested to learn more about the scientific studies that religion has health benefits that you mention, as I'm assuming that's 1) a legit study and, if so, 2) related to psychological factors along the lines of the placebo effect.

As per one definition of the word "evidence", which is "an indication, or sign", I would argue that it is indeed evidence. Like I said, however, I can see how someone who does not believe in God would not think so. I won't include any links here, but if you google "scientific evidence of God", or something along those lines, you can find plenty.

View PostGanoesSavesTheWorld, on Feb 17 2009, 05:22 PM, said:

I'd like to throw in a couple of thoughts, however (I should probably mention that I do believe in God, so as to establish my dog in the fight). There seems to be an assumption that when science explains something, then God is out of the picture. Why is that? If God indeed created everything, would it not be the case that he also created science, and in fact likey used scientific process in the creation of things? Why do "God" and "Science" have to be separate and opposing factions? I would think that God was the first scientist.

Why is that? Because when science explains something then there is no need for god. From reading your posts your belief arises from a personal need for a god and the benefits derived from that figure (which you describe in detail), not any kind of outside evidence or reasoning which you could use to convince others.

I'm not trying to convince others, I'm just offering my opinion and belief. My point is, that when man is able to find a scientific explanation for something, I don't agree that you can say it is "proof" that God does not exist. You can have the opinion that it negates the need for God, but again, that doesn't prove anything. Just like my beliefs and opinions are not and should not be proof of anything to you. Oh boy, sometimes my mind moves a lot faster than I can type, and I'm not sure if I make any sense.

Really though, as I am typing this, I realize that this argument is kind of a waste of time, because we are arguing from different baselines. I am assuming you do not believe in God, and I do. In fact I feel a little bad because in essence I threadjacked CI and brought up exactly what he didn't want in this thread! Sorry!

I skipped over a lot of the later entries because I wanted to address these two.

#43 User is offline   Dolorous Menhir 

• God
  • Group: Wiki Contributor

Posted 10 March 2009 - 08:10 PM

View PostCold Iron, on Mar 9 2009, 09:33 PM, said:

View PostDolorous Menhir, on Mar 10 2009, 07:08 AM, said:

Had a catch-up, was surprised that Cold Iron said something nice about me (or at least that I helped him). This is progress. I wanted to respond to a couple of points.
While we at it, can I invite you to have a crack at defining a self? I haven't progressed much with the research, basically humans seem to be able to understand inanimate and animate objects differently from a very early age, almost instinctually. Now the question is whether this is what shapes our sense of self or if our sense of self enables our identification of other selves...

I don't know the answers to these questions. If you want results, get a philosopher and an evolutionary biologist in the same room and hope something productive comes out. In the meantime, I have taken Ganoes' advice:

View PostGanoesSavesTheWorld, on Mar 9 2009, 10:23 PM, said:

As per one definition of the word "evidence", which is "an indication, or sign", I would argue that it is indeed evidence. Like I said, however, I can see how someone who does not believe in God would not think so. I won't include any links here, but if you google "scientific evidence of God", or something along those lines, you can find plenty.

The first ten results for "scientific evidence of god" are:

1. http://www.creationi...EvidGodLife.htm

An extremely long essay which boils down to a clear logical fallacy. The author states that life has never been observed to arise from non-living material (this appears to be true). He assumes that this means it has never happened (absence of evidence is not evidence of absence). Thus he is able to assert the existence of a creator who brought about the first existence of life. Coincidentally, this creator is the Christian god that he already believes in.

His point is simple. Cells and other elements do not spring into life from rocks and other inanimate things. So they must have been made by something external. Although he clothes this in convincing scientific language, he seems to be blind to the possibility that these things arose gradually, or through another process that we have not yet observed or theorised.

Not proof.

2. http://www.leaderu.c...3/evidence.html

An essay on intelligent design. This makes the same point as above. It's not conceivable that complex organisms could spring from nothing, so something must have made them. Intelligent design theorists (stealth creationists) are very good at maintaining a scientific veneer. This does not make it scientific evidence.

3 & 4. http://www.godandscience.org/

Two entries on the same site. This person makes no effort to hide their beliefs. No pretence at science for this person. There's a lot of material here, but we're on the level of "Lots of dead scientists believed in God hundreds of years ago" and "People fear death because they know something comes next. This means Christianity is for real".

5. http://toptenproofs....dsexistence.php

A novel one. The line of attack is via the 1st law of thermodynamics (alternatively, the principle of mass/energy conservation). The reasoning is simple: the amount of mass & energy in the universe doesn't change. But there is mass and energy - we can see it all around us! Therefore we have proven that God must exist, as only He could have created this in violation of the laws of physics. The author discounts the possibility that amount in the universe has always been fixed at the current value (it's not clear why). In any case, this is not sound.

6. http://www.doesgodex.../Mansproof.html

Another large site - I have had a look at the first article. Big Bang theory is our proof here. This shows that the universe had a beginning. Someone must have been responsible for this beginning. That somebody was God. There are several wrong assumptions and leaps here. The first is that Big Bank theory must be correct (not necessarily true - note also that the faithful do not question science when it supports thier conclusions). That some agency had to be responsible for a Big Bang. That this agency is the god of our current religion. These are not logical steps. But they seem convincing.

This site relies a great deal on "pragmatism" and "common sense". These are warning signs. A debater who invokes common sense has nothing better to bring to the table. Common sense tells us the Earth is flat and the Sun revolves round it, because that is what we see everyday. If common sense was a reliable guide, there would never have been any need for science.

7. http://www.godisimaginary.com/i11.htm

As you might guess, this one takes the opposite argument - that there is no scientific proof. This is what I've been saying. They also make a point of covering the "First Cause" argument, which is what really underlies all of the above. This argument goes back to a long way, to Aquinas and further, but it is not credible. It is however easy to explain and understand (there's that common sense again), so it's very resilient.

8. http://www.thecrimso...aspx?ref=379634

An article about a lecture by Steven Pinker, noted psychologist and atheist. He makes the case that religion is an evolutionary (mal)adaption. I agree with him, so I'm not going to repeat it or argue with it.

9. http://www.amazon.com/Language-God-Scienti...e/dp/0743286391

Amazon entry for a book by the Christian who headed the Human Genome Project. I'm not going to read the book, but it would be useful to point out that the fact that some scientists are religious is not evidence that religion is correct.

10. http://www.cosmicfin...newevidence.htm

An extremely long speech (in writing and audio) which I am going to admit I did not read. Looking through all the headings it does punch all the right creationist buttons.

There's nothing new in any of the above. The same religious arguments have always been made, and have always been wrong. The only thing is that science and human knowledge advances, and they can appropriate the most modern theories and language for their distortions and fallacies.

#44 User is offline   Cold Iron 

• I'll have some lasagna

Posted 10 March 2009 - 10:08 PM

Ok looks like we've lost dm.

You got anything sw?

#45 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 11 March 2009 - 05:32 AM

Dolorous you have too much free time!!!

#46 User is offline   GanoesSavesTheWorld 

• Corporal

Posted 11 March 2009 - 02:21 PM

Nice research Dolorous! Some of those links are very interesting. I'm not going to defend any of them, though, because I really don't know much about any of them. Scientific evidence of God is not really part of why I believe in God, and I don't think it should be what convinces people to believe in God.

#47 User is offline   Dolorous Menhir 

• God
  • Group: Wiki Contributor

Posted 11 March 2009 - 07:04 PM

This is a topic that interests me.

View PostGanoesSavesTheWorld, on Mar 11 2009, 02:21 PM, said:

Nice research Dolorous! Some of those links are very interesting. I'm not going to defend any of them, though, because I really don't know much about any of them. Scientific evidence of God is not really part of why I believe in God, and I don't think it should be what convinces people to believe in God.

If you think scientific evidence should be what convinces people, then don't use it in an attempt to convince.

#48 User is offline   GanoesSavesTheWorld 

• Corporal

Posted 11 March 2009 - 07:42 PM

View PostDolorous Menhir, on Mar 11 2009, 02:04 PM, said:

If you think scientific evidence should be what convinces people, then don't use it in an attempt to convince.

I already said, I'm NOT trying to convince anyone. Just offering an opinion.

#49 User is offline   Skywalker 

• Mortal LightSaber
  • Pedant.

Posted 12 March 2009 - 05:29 AM

Dolorous and Ganoes sitting in a tree... A R G U I N G... :D

Ahem. Anyway

View PostCold Iron, on Mar 11 2009, 03:38 AM, said:

Ok looks like we've lost dm.

You got anything sw?

You mean can I define 'self'?

Well... as a rule, I usually wax eloquent (or otherwise) on someone else's produce and use my nose rather effectively as a microscope as I do it. But I guess I could give it a shot... maybe later in the day then. (crazy work day)
Forum Member from the Old Days. Alive, but mostly inactive/ occasionally lurking

#50 User is offline   Cold Iron 

• I'll have some lasagna

Posted 14 March 2009 - 09:00 AM

Some food for thought:

Various environmental cues and situations induce awareness of the self, such as mirrors, an audience, or being videotaped or recorded. These cues also increase accuracy of personal memory.[15]
[15] ^ Thomas S. Duval Self-Awareness and Casual Attribution, p. 1, Springer, 2001 ISBN 978-0792375012

#51 User is offline   Sindriss 

• Walker of Edges

Posted 14 March 2009 - 11:56 AM

DM: You are just too cool!!!!!!!!! Awesome reply and I couldn't agree anymore than what I am currently doing (A lot of nodding and grunting) :)

I would like to know if Steve have ever tasted anything like the quorl white milk, that knocked the bb's out.

A: Nope, but I gots me a good imagination.

#52 User is offline   Urb 

• Emperor
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 23 March 2009 - 01:59 PM

Regarding definition of self (rambling post)...

I have not studied religion or spirituallity to any serious extent, so my "definition of self" (and concept of reality) is largely derived from what articles and books I have read, as well as my own experience over the years. This has made me very open to the possibilty that there might be more to existance than just the 4 dimensions a human mind is capable of observing, but at the same time, I do admit to a certain scepticism towards all people who are "in contact" with the spiritual world (yes, I pretty much box you all into one big group of people). And though I can understand why someone would need to believe the way some people do (I have found there are many good reasons, which I will not bother going into), I can not relate to them in their faith.

For instance, if someone tells me that they have seen the ghost of their dead father (or an angel, or an alien, or whatever), I don't shake my head and laugh at them. They are obviously convinced that they did. To me it seems perfectly reasonable that they could have seen such a ghost, just like a schizophrenic person sees people that noone else can see. Well, not exactly like a schizophrenic person, but there are different levels of delusion. What they saw was a product of how their own mind works.

What am I trying to say?
I've yet to come across any compelling arguments (I've come across good arguments, but have not in any way been convinced) that say our "soul" (which I like to refer to as our personality), or "the self" (could be I'm missunderstanding what you guys mean by "definition of self"), is not just a product of continuously evolving biochemical programming, mainly run by the human brain.

The main reason why I've come to this perception of reality, originates with what happens if the brain is damaged. Whenever someone suffers serious brain damage (like having certain parts of the brain shut down or maybe even removed) without entering a completely vegetative state, their loved ones always say the same thing: It is like they've become a completely different person. Which basically means their personality has been fundamentally altered, because vital parts of the programming is no longer there.

If one were to ponder on possible explanations as to why this happens, and still keep the concept of a “soul” in the spiritual sense, the soul would either have to be completely detached from the body (its vessel), or it would also suffer some of the damage. This begs the question: If the soul is completely detached from the body, then why have a body at all?

To me, it would seem “the self” is very much dependent (if not completely so) on this continuously evolving biochemical programming run by our brain. However, that in itself does not dispute the possibility of a higher level of reality than the 4 constricting dimensions in which we are confined. By its very nature, the human mind is evolving over generations, and it seems plausible it could evolve to the point where we develop senses to “see” beyond time and space (the romantic in me loves this concept). But unless we find some way of pushing this development into going faster through scientific methods (the birth of true non-constricted, self-evolving artificial intelligence would be a nice place to start), I can’t see how it would happen in the next thousand or so generations (pulled that number out of thin air, but it should be a very big number).

This might also explain why the scientific community can not come to an agreement on what the “soul” is. Self-evolving biochemical programming would be so complex we currently do not possess the ability to understand how it works. And if we can’t understand how it works, how can we possibly define what it is?

To sum up, I see it all this way: I think the soul is a product of our physical self, nothing more. But I concede to the fact that there could most definitely be more. If only our body and mind were not so primitive.

I can't help but feel that I am just repeating what everyone else have already said, but it feels kind of good to write this stuff down.
Certainly an interesting topic there Cold Iron :D

This post has been edited by Urb: 23 March 2009 - 07:48 PM

The leader, his audience still,
considered their scholarly will.
He lowered his head
and with anguish he said,
"But how will we teach them to kill?"

-some poet on reddit

#53 User is offline   Cold Iron 

• I'll have some lasagna

Posted 24 March 2009 - 03:04 AM

In short, Urb, I agree. I believe the self is a product of our biology and is not a separate spiritual entity. In saying that, however, there are direct actions untertaken by our bodies that are not initiated or even detected by our selves. These actions are the sort of thing I'm talking about when I say there is a third force which governs our destinies beyond our selves and chance.

The personification of this third force has various benefits that I would like to explore once I have established the boundaries of the self.

#54 User is offline   RodeoRanch 

• The Midnight Special
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 24 March 2009 - 03:21 AM

I'm curious as to what these "direct actions undertaken by our bodies that are not initiated or even detected by our selves" are. What would be an example of such an phenomenon?

#55 User is offline   Cold Iron 

• I'll have some lasagna

Posted 24 March 2009 - 03:39 AM

View PostRodeoRanch, on Mar 24 2009, 02:21 PM, said:

I'm curious as to what these "direct actions undertaken by our bodies that are not initiated or even detected by our selves" are. What would be an example of such an phenomenon?

The obvious ones would be subconscious actions like sleeping, dreaming, breathing, blinking, swallowing. But studies have shown that most decisions are also made emotionally, and rationalised in our consciousness after the fact. Indeed, it has been shown (someone debatably) that the messages sent to move your finger fire from your brain a measurable length of time before you are aware of your decision to do so, making this very murky ground scientifically.

What I'm truly getting at though are the collection of tiny events that have shaped who and where you are. You did not decide to be rodeoranch, you became rodeoranch through a plethora of actions, most of which you were not consciously aware of and thus unable to initiate.

But this of course depends on how you define the self, I'm obviously defining it as that part of us that is consciously aware and able to plan and make decisions and take independent and intensional actions.

This post has been edited by Cold Iron: 24 March 2009 - 03:40 AM

#56 User is offline   Cold Iron 

• I'll have some lasagna

Posted 21 April 2009 - 04:03 AM

Do we define a self as that entity to which we can directly attribute deliberate actions?

If you do something intensionally, it is done by your self. Intent and premeditation. I was not expecting this to lead here but... do we have a lawyer in the house? :p

So, how do we differentiate between an intentional and an unintentional act?

#57 User is offline   Zanth13 

• We are not the same
  • Group: Kings of Drink

Posted 21 April 2009 - 04:58 AM

Self?

I always enjoyed Descartes break down as mentioned early. The only thing we can be sure of is that we exist, because I think therefore I am, everything else could be an illusion by i think the term was evil genius or something...so you start with the basics as CI did and build your way up...

then i read most of Scott Bakkers Nueropath and it kind of through me for a loop. and one of the lines said that old Descartes was wrong, its not I think there for I am, but It thinks, there fore i was... also now I am not smart enough to grasp all of what bakker is trying to say but one of the metaphors he uses is a magic trick, a coin trick, show hand, nothing, close hand open it bam coin... magic, then you look at it from a different angle and you can see the coin the whole time, no magic,

He goes on to say that our thoughts are the same way, the seem to "spring from nowhere, but only because of a nuerophsyciological sleight of hand, because the brain is baffled by its own tricks. they seem magic. Special. Supernatural. Spiritual. Pull aside the veil of bone and that magic evaporates."

the main thing i get from what he is saying is that the brain (us) can understand most things except itself, it cannot comprehend itself..

"Thats what we are. Brains glimpsing themselves through peepholes, seeing magic where none exists."

he also points out that everything we experience is past tense, it is experienced hundreds of a millisecond after the fact.
"This is where we stand in the Great Circuit hat embraces us, out of sync, deceived, as fragile as cobwebs, entombed in a hardwired cage... you're steering through a dream."

he also says something along the lines of we got the beta version of consciousness, flawed.

"Our brains cant see whats going on inside themselves because they constantly confuse the middle for the beginning.

basically he is saying (i think) that people are soulless, unthinking people who are barely conscious...who trick themselves ect ect...

i of course instantly reject it because it sucks... but i present it to the for arguments sake, hopefully I didn't mess up his meaning or message or intent to much, and I never finished the book so maybe he disproves himself.
You can't find me because I'm lost in the music

#58 User is offline   Cold Iron 

• I'll have some lasagna

Posted 21 April 2009 - 05:37 AM

Out of the 3 amazon reviews 2 of them didn't finish it either.

It sounds interesting but I am partial to non-fiction couched in fictional clothing. I'll read it.

#59 User is offline   Urb 

• Emperor
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 03 May 2009 - 01:56 PM

View PostZanth13, on Apr 21 2009, 06:58 AM, said:

I never finished the book so maybe he disproves himself.

That he did not. He actually had an author's afterword in the back of the book were he explaines that he built the "Blind brain hypothesis" on fact, or "future facts" (as in the close future). He also notes how the therapeutic possibilites of neuroscience are breathtaking. Depression, blindness, deafness... curable with some electrodes in your brain. It was a fascinating read by the way. Imaginary rep from Urb :p

I can see how some people would find this possible reality disturbing and stop reading. To me however, the most disturbing part of the book was the implications of a police state where everyone is being watched and analyzed. Wallmart scaning your fucking brain for commercial use! Sounds like a bit of a stretch perhaps, but still, not as unreal as one would like (link).

Some parts I found most amusing:

Neuropath, on Scott Bakker, said:

Two psych students who are stoned:
'Whoa dude... Think about it. You're a machine - a machine! - dreaming that you have a soul. None of this is real, man, and they can fucking prove it.'

-------------------

A psychologist:
'The scary thing for me is that as the years pass and neuroscience matures, the relationship between the two disciplines [neuroscience and psychology] starts to seem more and more like that between astrology and astronomy, or chemistry and alchemy.'

They are quacks! I knew it :p

-----------------------------------

View PostCold Iron, on Mar 24 2009, 05:04 AM, said:

... there are direct actions untertaken by our bodies that are not initiated or even detected by our selves. These actions are the sort of thing I'm talking about when I say there is a third force which governs our destinies beyond our selves and chance.

View PostCold Iron, on Mar 24 2009, 05:39 AM, said:

The obvious ones would be subconscious actions like sleeping, dreaming, breathing, blinking, swallowing. But studies have shown that most decisions are also made emotionally, and rationalised in our consciousness after the fact. Indeed, it has been shown (someone debatably) that the messages sent to move your finger fire from your brain a measurable length of time before you are aware of your decision to do so, making this very murky ground scientifically.

What do you mean by emotionally? Or did you already answer that?
Urb is too lazy to reread the whole thread...

I figure our subconscious responses to external stimuli are either hardwired into us genetically, or a result of training. The heart will beat all our lives until we one day become so old there's no need for it to beat anymore (we don't need to live longer, shutting down). And when a soldier assembles his gun for the first time, he has to concentrate. But when he does it for the hundreth time, he is running on autopilot. In the two instances he is using different parts of his brain (link). Just this simple example that one can manipulate the subconscious reflexes suggests to me that Scott Bakker is right: there is nothing more than sophisticated biochemistry in there.

This post has been edited by Urb: 01 June 2009 - 10:42 AM

The leader, his audience still,
considered their scholarly will.
He lowered his head
and with anguish he said,
"But how will we teach them to kill?"

-some poet on reddit

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic