• You cannot reply to this topic

Surgen

#1 User is offline   foolio 

• Emperor
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • about as popular as a whores dose of the face eater

Posted 08 January 2009 - 04:13 PM

do we know what happens to surgen?
I have seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter at the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain...."

#2 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 08 January 2009 - 10:05 PM

Who the hell is Surgen?

Generally when posting a thread. Elaborating on a subject is prefered. A one line question just doesn't quite cut it.

#3 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 08 January 2009 - 10:37 PM

Or alternatively, an unelaborate question gets an unelaborate answer:

He dies.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#4 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 08 January 2009 - 10:47 PM

View PostD'rek, on Jan 8 2009, 11:37 PM, said:

Or alternatively, an unelaborate question gets an unelaborate answer:

He dies.

Oh noes! Did the buttler do it?

Who was Surgen?

#5 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 09 January 2009 - 12:34 AM

Surgen was the champion of Y'Ghatan who wasted
Spoiler

Surly said he "succumbed his wounds", but it's vaguely hinted that maybe the Claw made sure he died from them so there would be no need for Malazan champions...

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#6 User is offline   foolio 

• Emperor

Posted 09 January 2009 - 03:36 PM

thank you D'rek. It just seemed like maybe he was going to be, and still might be, one of those characters that "drowned" but then resurfaces.

I am sorry, didnt mean to offend the god of the boards, but I figured it was a simple question, and also figured that anyone who read the book would know who Surgen was.
I have seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter at the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain...."

#7 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 09 January 2009 - 04:34 PM

Oh don't worry, we're just teasing you!

#8 User is offline   foolio 

• Emperor

Posted 09 January 2009 - 05:11 PM

thanks again. I got the impression that he was one of the toughest opponents that DU fought. I mean he and his cronies did more or less crush the Sword's entourage...We have seen DU make very quick work of other very powerful beings, and Sugen was a worthy opponent. How many people in the malaz world do you think would last more than a couple seconds with DU? Him dying off screen seems kinda like a waste of a powerful being or maybe missdirection.

This post has been edited by foolio: 09 January 2009 - 05:21 PM

#9 User is offline   Mulch 

• Fist

Posted 02 February 2009 - 04:26 PM

The way I read it the sword was betrayed by Laseen, basically they charged in expecting support to follow and they were hung out to dry when the support failed to show and they were surrounded by fanatics. It was the intention that they got wiped out as DU was on a par with surly to take over the throne.
"Here's to beer!, the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems" Homer Simpson

#10 User is offline   wareonia 

• Seguleh '0'

Posted 11 March 2009 - 11:42 AM

Doesn't DU also get hit by or crossbow bolt or something while fighting surgen. This was the only reason surgen stood a chance. If Daseem wasn't mortally wounded he would have cut him down like last years wheat crop.

It doesn't say it anywhere but i think there was probably a claw hidden in the soldiers who took Daseem out that seemed to be Surley's plan, to not have champions anymore.

#11 User is offline   Lisheo 

• Difference Engineer
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:All of the things.

Posted 11 March 2009 - 11:45 AM

View Postwareonia, on Mar 11 2009, 11:42 AM, said:

Doesn't DU also get hit by or crossbow bolt or something while fighting surgen. This was the only reason surgen stood a chance. If Daseem wasn't mortally wounded he would have cut him down like last years wheat crop.

It doesn't say it anywhere but i think there was probably a claw hidden in the soldiers who took Daseem out that seemed to be Surley's plan, to not have champions anymore.

It hints that something hit him, afaik, it doesn't explicitly say exactly what that thing was.
“People have wanted to narrate since first we banged rocks together & wondered about fire. There’ll be tellings as long as there are any of us here, until the stars disappear one by one like turned-out lights.”
- China Mieville

#12 User is offline   beru 

• shy guy
  • Interests:gaming (strategy/tactic first persons)<br />reading<br />swiming

Posted 11 March 2009 - 12:54 PM

he got hit by somthing
ranged wepons it might have (not) been and why
morant munition (?) nah unlikly
arrow (from a bow) un likly those are long and would have been seen by temp and or others
maigc would eather kill him or damage him on a much grater scale, alternatvly been warded off
bolt (from crossbow) small and fast they can get stuck so they are hardly visible

so i think i go for crossbow...
i want to see this world where T'lan imass kneels

#13 User is offline   Bauchelain the Evil 

• Greatest necromancer ever
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Not much

Posted 11 March 2009 - 05:14 PM

Could also have been one of those throwing stars the Claw uses or a throwing nice, not necessarily a crossbow bolt.
Adept of Team Quick Ben

I greet you as guests and so will not crush the life from you and devour your soul with peals of laughter. No, instead, I will make tea-Gothos

#14 User is offline   Jumpy 

• Sergeant

Posted 04 April 2009 - 06:19 PM

That was one of my favorite parts of the book. And one of the reasons why Temper is in my top five favorite characters in the entire series.

Dude has been beating unbeatable opponents for ages.

AND, he did beat Surgen. Wasn't killed by the GOD ASPECTED HOLY CHAMPION OF WHATEVER CITY THAT WAS, now was he? No. He stone walled him, and kept Dassem Ultor alive, even as the rest of the Sword was wasted, excluding Ferrule.

And when he smacks Jhenna around. Gods, I love that big, stubborn bastard.

"I'll have your head this time, Possum."

Made me have the chills. Especially from Kiska's POV. DEMON.

This post has been edited by Jumpy: 04 April 2009 - 06:20 PM

#15 User is offline   The Crow 

• Corporal
  • Food is appreciated.

Posted 21 June 2009 - 02:37 AM

View Postfoolio, on Jan 9 2009, 04:36 PM, said:

thank you D'rek. It just seemed like maybe he was going to be, and still might be, one of those characters that "drowned" but then resurfaces.

I am sorry, didnt mean to offend the god of the boards, but I figured it was a simple question, and also figured that anyone who read the book would know who Surgen was.

Don't call Apt god, he'll get all high and mighty.
QUOTE (Darkwatch @ May 22 2009, 03:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Twilight is the latest thing out of Pandora's Box.

#16 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 21 June 2009 - 06:15 AM

Too late.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#17 User is offline   Fisher 

• Recruit

Posted 25 July 2009 - 05:50 AM

I agree that Surgen dying off-screen was such a waste. None of the Sword could stand against him (except the T-unit) and I think he would have given Dassem a run for his money, injured or otherwise.

I also wish we could have known more about the other members of the Sword. More than just names.

#18 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 25 July 2009 - 07:35 AM

Naw, Dassem was holding off Surgen one-handed while wounded for a time, and was literally cutting down other, normal people. Surgen was good, but nothing special. I think that was the point with Temper's POV prior to him stepping in - Point and co fighting against him was amazing, as he was a holy champion, but Dassem has cut every single other champion and contender down, every time. It would have been no different except for the Claw involvement.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#19 User is offline   Broken Fiddle 

• Recruit

Posted 16 September 2009 - 01:02 AM

I wouldn't be too interested in Surgen but it would have been awesome to see more about Point, Ferrule and the other members of the sword. they seemed pretty bad ass. that scene where temper stone walls him was one of my favorite of the book

#20 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 16 September 2009 - 02:42 AM

This doesn't spoil anything, but a member of the Sword features in Return of the Crimson Guard. I'm not talking about Temper, by the way, I'm talking about one of the others.

This post has been edited by Mappo's Travelling Sack: 16 September 2009 - 02:43 AM

Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users